Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (A) League 1 Saturday 29/12/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Oldham Athletic (A) League 1 Saturday 29/12/07

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:06 pm

Great win!! Sounded like a great game to end to end stuff. We should have had a penalty..Ricketts hit the post..Sounded like he got some abuse too but went on and got a goal..Taundry had another great game and set our first goal up..UTS

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:08 pm

It's getting harder and harder not to get carried away!!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:15 pm

I hope those people calling for his head have a good look at themselves now. What a result, brilliant. 2 points of automatic promotion places and looking a good side, what more could you ask for ? Ah yes, thats right, for some, we should be playing like Arsenal and be 67 points clear at the top. :roll:

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:16 pm

Goose277 wrote:What price Leeds to score last minute.....again!!!!

Shut up Goose, you don't know what you're talking about :roll:

pastsodull

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:17 pm

I only hope we 'accidently' leave that fat lazy lump Ricketts at Boundary Park on the way back - overweight and uninterested. The youth nurtured by Merson is not being given a chance by Mr.Touchy, who now deems it appropriate to wave continously after a lucky away win. We can only hope we are waving goodbye to him sooner rather than later.

I have an IQ of 7. Higher than most on here.
Last edited by pastsodull on Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loop
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:18 pm

pastsodull wrote:I only hope we 'accidently' leave that fat lazy lump Ricketts at Boundary Park on the way back - overweight and uninterested. The youth nurtured by Merson is not being given a chance by Mr.Touchy, who now deems it appropriate to wave continously after a lucky away win. We can only hope we are waving goodbye to him sooner rather than later.

:lol:

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:22 pm

loop wrote:
pastsodull wrote:I only hope we 'accidently' leave that fat lazy lump Ricketts at Boundary Park on the way back - overweight and uninterested. The youth nurtured by Merson is not being given a chance by Mr.Touchy, who now deems it appropriate to wave continously after a lucky away win. We can only hope we are waving goodbye to him sooner rather than later.

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:26 pm

We had visitors this aft - all I want to do was get on here to see how we were doing :mrgreen: Top result, 2 points more than I was expecting at best. Assume we played better than Vale game

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:27 pm

How far can this team go? I expected a point at best today, and I thought that was optimistic. The only downside is the performance of Ricketts against his current employers - will they now want him back? I'm hoping that the fact they allowed him to play against us suggests they do not, under any circumstances, want him to return. The question is, can we afford him? Butler signing for Grimsby must increase our financial clout in that regard, but there must be a risk of another club coming in for him.

If we could add Ricketts, Sweeney and another pacy forward/midfielder, we are in with a chance.

On cloud 9 tonight. We are competing with the likes of Leeds, Swansea and Forest on equal terms at the moment and have an attractive match against Donny to come. Let's hope for a 7,000 gate on New Years Day. God knows they deserve it.

UTS

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:30 pm

From the Fat Controller, at a very wet Boundary Park:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... ll-report/

Note the comments about why Ricketts left Oldham. It might explain a lot and explain why he might want to come here.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:32 pm

TheFutureIsBright :wink:

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:34 pm

Fantastic result.

Oh it's good to be a Saddler.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:37 pm

Neil-------thats Two good reports today( thanks to the Fat contoller too) I'm glad you stayed :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:03 pm

BathSaddler wrote:The question is, can we afford him? Butler signing for Grimsby must increase our financial clout in that regard, but there must be a risk of another club coming in for him.

If we could add Ricketts, Sweeney and another pacy forward/midfielder, we are in with a chance.

If we put interest from any other clubs aside for the time being, I can't see how we haven't got the budget to keep Ricketts for the rest of the season, if not longer. We've not only got rid of Butler, but have also let go of Sonner, Carneiro and Picken. Surely Ricketts' wages are no more than the combined earnings of those players.
I'm still hopeful that a deal to bring him here permanently was done when he signed on loan.

futuresobright

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:34 pm

Despite the great win today, I guess I am not alone in looking at the table and thinking just where we would and should be if Mr Touchy had not made such a complete mess of the close season. It was noticeable that our 'best' performance of the season was delivered by a starting eleven that included only one of Mr T's summer signings. That Weston is not worth a starting place infront of Taundry almost goes without saying.
Week by week it becomes clearer just how much we owe to previous managers and how much we underperformed last season. It is, of course, beyond Mr T to recognise publically his errors or his good fortune. Instead, he never an opportunity to rubbish our club prior to his arrival. Even giving thanks to Mullen appears to be an act of generosity too far. Fingers crossed that he gets a job offer he can't refuse in the weeks ahead.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:45 pm

futuresobright wrote:Despite the great win today, I guess I am not alone in looking at the table and thinking just where we would and should be if Mr Touchy had not made such a complete mess of the close season. It was noticeable that our 'best' performance of the season was delivered by a starting eleven that included only one of Mr T's summer signings. That Weston is not worth a starting place infront of Taundry almost goes without saying.
Week by week it becomes clearer just how much we owe to previous managers and how much we underperformed last season. It is, of course, beyond Mr T to recognise publically his errors or his good fortune. Instead, he never an opportunity to rubbish our club prior to his arrival. Even giving thanks to Mullen appears to be an act of generosity too far. Fingers crossed that he gets a job offer he can't refuse in the weeks ahead.

:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

BTW Clayton Ince was a DD signing, albeit the summer before. He also had the nous to bring in Sweeney and Ricketts when needed.
Furthermore, he is now making the best of the good talent that has been at club for a while, something the previous manager(s) failed to do compared to him, it could be argued!
:wink:

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:06 pm

An excellent all-round performance. Thought the defence as a whole were superb. Though Oldham had a couple of chances & endless corners I never really felt they would score. Great header from Dann, just a shame that Gerrard couldnt match him with his excellent chance. Ricketts' goal showed how powerful he is, holding off the defender before slotting it home. It would have been the icing on the cake if his shot had hit the other side of the post & gone in. Was impressed by Taundry...is it just me but does he look like Chris Marsh?

All round an excellent day especially with other results going our way. Let's hope that we can turn it on against Donny.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:46 pm

Didnt go; but sounds like a superb performance, obviously better than port vale. A few choice signings in January, and promotion is very real. Right winger and a striker please.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:53 pm

At Vale we had 3 or 4 players playing to their full ability

Today, 1-11 played to their full ability, as well as the subs deployed.

Taundry takes one hell of a set play.

Ricketts played to his strengths today.

Deeney had his best game at wide right.

Ishy played in spalshes.

Bradley and Wrack kept it ticking over and Sweeney floated around to good effect.

Dann and Gerrard look invincible.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:29 pm

Great results, maybe somewhere higher then the predicted mid table isnt to far away, any idea on the official away following.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:32 pm

hullsaddler wrote:An excellent all-round performance. Thought the defence as a whole were superb. Though Oldham had a couple of chances & endless corners I never really felt they would score. Great header from Dann, just a shame that Gerrard couldnt match him with his excellent chance. Ricketts' goal showed how powerful he is, holding off the defender before slotting it home. It would have been the icing on the cake if his shot had hit the other side of the post & gone in. Was impressed by Taundry...is it just me but does he look like Chris Marsh?

All round an excellent day especially with other results going our way. Let's hope that we can turn it on against Donny.

Maybe a bit, but IMHO more like Craig Pead.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:33 pm

futuresobright wrote:Despite the great win today, I guess I am not alone in looking at the table and thinking just where we would and should be if Mr Touchy had not made such a complete mess of the close season. It was noticeable that our 'best' performance of the season was delivered by a starting eleven that included only one of Mr T's summer signings. That Weston is not worth a starting place infront of Taundry almost goes without saying.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We could wallpaper the world with what you don't know about football !

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:46 pm

:D :D :D :D :D The jinix is over , i have finally now seen te super saddlers win away from home. I would like to say ha ha ha ha ha i think you will find i was right. That is for the many people who laughed at me and questioned my sanity when i predicted walsall would make the play offs or sneak automatic promotion. Also it was good to speak with my homie sellotape 66 , asps who was drunk and yga saddler who made the mistake of trying to drink one of my two big baz beers i was drinking at half time. 8)
Last edited by big baz 1 on Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:49 pm

Great result today, must admit when I got on the carpark it was so cold dark wet and windy was tempted to turn round and head for home !
Many thanks for the 500 hundred + who made it fantastic atmosphere and made it sound like 5000 + Saddlers were there.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Just curious Burnside...... what's a spalsh ????? :?: :shock:

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:08 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Great result today, must admit when I got on the carpark it was so cold dark wet and windy was tempted to turn round and head for home !
Many thanks for the 500 hundred + who made it fantastic atmosphere and made it sound like 5000 + Saddlers were there.

It says on there offical site we took 510! Great support again today!

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:14 pm

Cannock wrote:Just curious Burnside...... what's a spalsh ????? :?: :shock:

Technical terminolgy. Will spread to Vention and the rest of the uncivilised world within the next few year i suspect.

jacko9867

Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:20 pm

Didnt go today but sounded like a very good performance. DD has got us promated after the club was religated twice in three seasons. Now look where we are. Top 6 of division 1. He has brought in loads of young players that are doing well Sweeny that looks class, Ince thats is a very good keeper and Rickets that is finding form and can get goals when we need them.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:05 am

Well pleased with that result. Most impressive!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:51 am

Duke wrote:Result of the season to date for me , to go to an inform side with 2 key players missing , clean sheet 3 points , brilliant.

well done lad , well done DD fantastic.

I'd agree with all that. Couldn't make it yesterday, but I thought the unbeaten run may fall due to us meeting a form team below full strength. And away.

Excellent result. We am bostin! :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season