Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v Wolves 18/12/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Reserves v Wolves 18/12/07

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Lost 2-0

Asbo got sent off in the last minute for a second bookable offence - dissent against the referee.

Anyone know if any suspension carries into the first team?

wall...banging...a...head...your...brick...against - rearrange as appropriate. :roll:

Carneiro Is Not Leitao.

Re: Reserves v Wolves

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:12 pm

WarsawPact wrote:Lost 2-0

Asbo got sent off in the last minute for a second bookable offence - dissent against the referee.

wall...banging...a...head...your...brick...against - rearrange as appropriate. :roll:

Banging your head against a brick wall,

If I'm not mistaken.

Don't think the suspension carries into first team matches though as they're a different league arn't they?

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Carneiro Is Not Leitao. wrote:

If I'm not mistaken.

Don't think the suspension carries into first team matches though as they're a different league arn't they?

Wasn't he suspended at the start of the season due to a red card for the stiffs? I think it's a blanket ban from competitive football.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:20 pm

Goose277 wrote:
Carneiro Is Not Leitao. wrote:

If I'm not mistaken.

Wasn't he suspended at the start of the season due to a red card for the stiffs? I think it's a blanket ban from competitive football.

I think so too.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:28 pm

Mr Money was incensed by the sending-off. Had to be dragged away from the referee at the end.

I'm not sure why. It was typical Demontagnac. He was fouled, it wasn't given, so he made a nasty tackle on the Wolves player. Obvious yellow card. He then walked away when the referee called him over, clearly kept the backchat going and then, when the yellow card was shown, applauded the referee. No argument about the red at all I'd say.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:34 pm

He was stupid to get sent off in the manner he did. The fourth official was just about to put the board up for stoppage time and we were 2-0 down. The tackle was a foul and arguably a booking, but there was no need for him to do anything other than walk away.
Money's reaction in giving the fourth official an earful perhaps suggested that he felt Ishmel was hard done by, but he's got to do better than that.

In terms of the game, theere wasn't really a lot to speak of. Wolves side all had first team experience if I'm not mistaken and we had the weakest central midfield pairing I think I've ever seen in Harris and Mawete.
Nicholls still doesn't convince me. He's got bags of pace but generally, his final ball is shoddy at best. He improved as the game webnt on but struggled to make things happen in the final third.
Boertein lasted the whole game, playing the first half at left back, and the second half on the left side of midfield before moving into the middle. He got done down his side a couple of times, but looked fairly good on the ball. I don't think he's ready for a return just yet, but isn't far away. It will be interesting to see whether he's selected on Saturday with Fox suspended.
Taundry is the best player we have outside of our starting 11 in my opinion. Considering he's not the biggest, he wins an awful lot in the air, has bags of pace, a great cross and wins tackle after tackle. Interestingly, he played at left back in the second half and did alright, so he could potentially be seen as the man to play there at the weekend.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Absolutely agree with you about Taundry, he was superb. Not a natural left footer but I'm sure he could do a job. Slightly worried that, with Weston playing so well, his chances are limited. I reckon we ought to look at playing him in midfield.

Player by player tonight;

Bossu - made what looked like a couple of good saves but not convinced they aren't routine ones that he "dresses up"!
Taundry - superb, man of the match by a mile
Boertien - looked uncertain to start with but grew in stature as the game went on
Roper - did ok considering he was up against a very good striker in Keogh
Smith - again, showed some promise considering he was marking Eastwood
Hall - some good bits, some bad, had our best chance saved by the keeper
Demontagnac - looked like he wasn't interested most of the night. You could see the sending-off coming. Fully justifies everything Money has said about him not being ready in the past.
Harris - woeful. I've heard some people report good things. I can only think this was a really, really bad night
Mawete - get rid in December, offered nothing at all
Nicholls - was certainly the better of the attackers, but still looks like he's lacking for this level of football
Ravenhill (or whatever his name is) - awful, offside EVERY time we came forward, offered little

Davies - came on in midfield and I thought he looked a class act. Why is he not starting on this evidence?
Right-back sub - also did well when he came on
Cameron Jones(sp?) - offered very little.

Make no mistake, this wasn't a "bad" result. Wolves had a team out who, on another day, could be playing in the Championship. They scored both goals from corners if I'm not mistaken, certainly didn't score from open play.

WFC4Eva

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:04 pm

im pretty sure his suspension will count for the first team.

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:10 pm

WFC4Eva wrote:im pretty sure his suspension will count for the first team.

I agree mate!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:24 pm

On a side note, seeing as we seem to be struggling at the moment on the right of midfield, I'd look into the possibility of getting Jarvis on loan from the Wolves if he's not getting a game for them. He looked really quick and effective against us tonight. More effective than Keogh and Eastwood who, despite seeing a lot of the ball, were usually snuffed out well by Roper and Smith.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:45 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:Davies - came on in midfield and I thought he looked a class act. Why is he not starting on this evidence?

I have been similarly impressed by Charlton Davies myself when I have seen him. I remember him playing well for the reserves away against Leeds at the end of last season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:Davies - came on in midfield and I thought he looked a class act. Why is he not starting on this evidence?

I have been similarly impressed by Charlton Davies myself when I have seen him. I remember him playing well for the reserves away against Leeds at the end of last season.

According to the teamsheet, it was Richard Davis on our bench, not Charlton Davies.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:02 am

Not quite sure why Ishy was still on the pitch carrying a yellow card, so late in the game. Ok so we should be able to trust him, but all the same, it must have gone through someones head that he may well pick up another yellow.

He doesn't do him self any favours though does he our Ishmel. Just one of many reasons why talks of premier league teams signing him are complete nonsense

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:24 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Not quite sure why Ishy was still on the pitch carrying a yellow card, so late in the game. Ok so we should be able to trust him, but all the same, it must have gone through someones head that he may well pick up another yellow.

He doesn't do him self any favours though does he our Ishmel. Just one of many reasons why talks of premier league teams signing him are complete nonsense

You've misunderstood what happened, Blazing.

Ishmel was not on a booking going into the 90th minute. He then caught a Wolves player slightly late, got called over by the ref, stopped for a few seconds before reluctantly following the referees order. He was shown the yellow card for the foul and them immediately started sarcastically applauding the decision. The result was a second yellow in the space of about 5-10 seconds for dissent.

I'm disappointed in Ishmel for doing what he did, but I'm also disappointed in the ref for taking centre stage by showing him a second yellow straight away. With only injury time left to play, he could have just told him to zip it. That could have been what Money was complaining about at the end.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:25 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Not quite sure why Ishy was still on the pitch carrying a yellow card, so late in the game. Ok so we should be able to trust him, but all the same, it must have gone through someones head that he may well pick up another yellow.

Talks of anyone above our level signing him are nonsense really. And besides' hes still not as good as people make out. Dont get me wrong i think hes great player, but he ay that good, he's just quick, which scares players crapless in thi league.

Plenty of crap players have played league football over the years purely for the fact they can run.

*cough*nathan tyson *cough*

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:22 am

WFC_Rob wrote:I'm disappointed in Ishmel for doing what he did, but I'm also disappointed in the ref for taking centre stage by showing him a second yellow straight away. With only injury time left to play, he could have just told him to zip it. That could have been what Money was complaining about at the end.

While I agree with you, the sending off could be another necessary lesson for Ishmel.

He is obviously a slow learner, although his on pitch behaviour has improved a lot, I am glad that he did not make the same stupid mistake in a league match and cost the team points.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:58 am

just when we thought the lad was begining to learn .

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:11 am

Duke wrote:just when we thought the lad was begining to learn .

Looks like one step forward and three or four back.

As explosive as he can be, there are a lot of things that still need working on. :x

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:15 am

Maverick wrote:
Duke wrote:just when we thought the lad was begining to learn .

Looks like one step forward and three or four back.

As explosive as he can be, there are a lot of things that still need working on. :x

Agreed , I've seen an improvement in his temprement this season, this is a set back .

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:59 am

On the subject of him being "explosive" and having lots of talent...it has to be said he did pretty much nothing last night and wasn't once able to beat the Wolves right-back. The only times he got played clear by good passes he a) fell over when bearing down on goal and then b) from a great position with players waiting in the box, he crossed the ball straight out of play behind the goal.

WfcDanOc
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:44 am

Dissapointing to hear about Ishy, especially since he's recently looked like he's over his tantrums! He was kicked all over the shop last tuesday night in the cup replay v The Cobblers, didn't react once and went on to win the pen and the game!

I don't think he'll miss a league game, Yellow cards at reserve team level don't count towards a players league talley do they?

On another note, I'm pretty sure Charlton Davies is on loan at Solihull at the moment.

retired

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 am

Sansara + Davies both on loan at solihull

Davies scored superb goal in reserve game Stoke v Walsall

Hope both players do well and come back stronger to us

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Maverick wrote:Looks like one step forward and three or four back.

A fair way to describe it is that he has made three steps forward and this is just one step back.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Bernie wrote:

A fair way to describe it is that he has made three steps forward and this is just one step back.

I agree.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:55 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Bernie wrote:

I agree.

Yep, me too. I was very much in the 'bin him, he ain't worth the hassle' camp last year - but I have been impressed by hs contributions and his attitude this season. It took more than one match to make me think it was worth us persevering with him, and it will take more than one match to make me think he's not. I think he's much improved in every respect from last year. Its how he responds to this that's significant, in the weeks and months ahead.

Frazy85

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:18 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Bernie wrote:

I agree.

Yep, me too. I was very much in the 'bin him, he ain't worth the hassle' camp last year - but I have been impressed by hs contributions and his attitude this season. It took more than one match to make me think it was worth us persevering with him, and it will take more than one match to make me think he's not. I think he's much improved in every respect from last year. Its how he responds to this that's significant, in the weeks and months ahead.

With the way he reacted in the reserves match, it certinately looked a lot more than 1 step back, his attitude all game was just awful, and the way he got sent off was stupid and looked as bad as ive ever seen him.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Frazy85 wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Bernie wrote:

I agree.

With the way he reacted in the reserves match, it certinately looked a lot more than 1 step back, his attitude all game was just awful, and the way he got sent off was stupid and looked as bad as ive ever seen him.

Good job his performance made a big part in us winning at Doncaster and Northampton in the League and then against them in the cup at home then isn't it? And that's just off the top of my head.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Re:

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:16 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:Absolutely agree with you about Taundry, he was superb. Not a natural left footer but I'm sure he could do a job. Slightly worried that, with Weston playing so well, his chances are limited. I reckon we ought to look at playing him in midfield.

Player by player tonight;

Bossu - made what looked like a couple of good saves but not convinced they aren't routine ones that he "dresses up"!
Taundry - superb, man of the match by a mile
Boertien - looked uncertain to start with but grew in stature as the game went on
Roper - did ok considering he was up against a very good striker in Keogh
Smith - again, showed some promise considering he was marking Eastwood
Hall - some good bits, some bad, had our best chance saved by the keeper
Demontagnac - looked like he wasn't interested most of the night. You could see the sending-off coming. Fully justifies everything Money has said about him not being ready in the past.
Harris - woeful. I've heard some people report good things. I can only think this was a really, really bad night
Mawete - get rid in December, offered nothing at all
Nicholls - was certainly the better of the attackers, but still looks like he's lacking for this level of football
Ravenhill (or whatever his name is) - awful, offside EVERY time we came forward, offered little

Davies - came on in midfield and I thought he looked a class act. Why is he not starting on this evidence?
Right-back sub - also did well when he came on
Cameron Jones(sp?) - offered very little.

Make no mistake, this wasn't a "bad" result. Wolves had a team out who, on another day, could be playing in the Championship. They scored both goals from corners if I'm not mistaken, certainly didn't score from open play.

Early on in the season Richard gets half a game and gets slaughtered on here with rubbish like "he's never going to make it and should consider a different job", "one of the worst players i've ever seen pull on our shirt". !!!!!!

Just goes to show as i said at the time, how on earth can you make statements like that about a young kid after 45min :roll:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Re: Reserves v Wolves 18/12/07

Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Well I certainly didn't "slate him" earlier in the season.

I first saw him in the Youth Cup Final at Shrewsbury at the end of last season and he looked superb that evening. I thought then that he could make a real impact this year if given a chance. I was VERY surprised he wasn't on the bench at least on Saturday.

Return to 2007-08 Season