Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (H) League 1 Saturday 15/12/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
loop
UTS Veteran

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:47 pm

I really enjoyed yesterdays game, i was also really proud to be a Saddler, the amosphere in the ground was excellent and i just hope it continues.

I agree with all the posts above, our defence was soild and my MOTM would also have been Gerrard.

I reckon we thoroughly deserved the win, and i have to say i was gutted we came away without the three points although before the game i would have taken the point.

Well done lads.

UTS

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 pm

I want to add my praise for an excellent all round performance. I agree with nearly everyone else so I am just going to add that Richard Money deserves a lot of praise for what he has achieved in bringing on our young players. Fox, Gerrard, Dann, Bradley and Deeney were all a credit to him.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:39 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Well its fantastic to read all of these positive views, I just hope some of the fans who went along yesterday who don't normally will start to turn up week in week out.

I doubt there is anyone who would say anything negative about yesterday's game and the smattering of callers I heard on WM seem to echo the consensus on here ie "if that was the best this division has to offer then why can't we.....?" (I can't bring myself to finish that question properly because I really don't want to mention the 'p' word or even the 'p-o' word just yet).

Anyhow, one of the people on the phone-in said they had brought three others (possibly kids) with them, who were all keen to come back. That's only one piece of anecdotal evidence, but hopefully the way we played and the spirit we showed yesterday will encourage a few more to become semi-regulars at least. Goodness knows, Richard Money and all the players deserve that support right now.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:51 pm

Well done DD and the lads, great performance, gutted not to have got the 3 points. Also it was lovely to watch the game without having to listen to people around me constantly moaning!! :lol:

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:38 am

I missed the game because I was at work, but having read reports maybe 2 points dropped, but I would have settled for a point at the start, so I'm not too bothered and another well drilled performance against a contender. Can I just give a mention, not only to the excellent manager we have, but also to Jimmy Mullen, because since his arrival we have been on fire and obviously has made a massive contribution, so nice one Jimmy

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Gaz the Train wrote:I missed the game because I was at work, but having read reports maybe 2 points dropped, but I would have settled for a point at the start, so I'm not too bothered and another well drilled performance against a contender. Can I just give a mention, not only to the excellent manager we have, but also to Jimmy Mullen, because since his arrival we have been on fire and obviously has made a massive contribution, so nice one Jimmy

Danny Fox echoes those sentiments about Mullen in today's Express & Star

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:37 pm

Gaz the Train wrote:I missed the game because I was at work, but having read reports maybe 2 points dropped, but I would have settled for a point at the start, so I'm not too bothered and another well drilled performance against a contender. Can I just give a mention, not only to the excellent manager we have, but also to Jimmy Mullen, because since his arrival we have been on fire and obviously has made a massive contribution, so nice one Jimmy

Nah jimmy mullen hasn't made any difference whatsoever, ask Neil [if he's still around and hasn't sulked again], proving something with clear statistics means nothing you know!

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:

Well I said it first, donkey jinx no comebacks :)

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:02 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:

http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/12/1 ... l-revival/

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:03 pm

Nothing but praise from me either. Superb performance. My only comment is that if we played like that for the majority of games we'd sweep 75% of this division away.

Saturday was the first game for ages where I got back home and was starting to lose my voice through singing/shouting (ain't that right, tapey boy? :wink: ).

Gerrard was MOTM for me (in a performance where many of them were in with a shout).

Gutted about the late equaliser (it was like the FA Cup game all over again). I must admit to verbally abusing a nearby Leeds fan that jumped up with a smirk all over his face :oops:

All in all though very happy with the performance and it looks good for the rest of the season. We even got a wave from DD :D

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:11 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:
Gaz the Train wrote: Can I just give a mention, not only to the excellent manager we have, but also to Jimmy Mullen, because since his arrival we have been on fire and obviously has made a massive contribution, so nice one Jimmy

Time for some more argument comparing Money's record with and without an assistant. :)

Before Jimmy Mullen arrived we had won only one of our first nine matches this season. Since then we have won 8 times and only lost once. Just a coincidence? Who knows? Obviously getting rid of Butler, Sonner and Carneiro has played some part in our revival.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Bernie wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:
Gaz the Train wrote: Can I just give a mention, not only to the excellent manager we have, but also to Jimmy Mullen, because since his arrival we have been on fire and obviously has made a massive contribution, so nice one Jimmy

Time for some more argument comparing Money's record with and without an assistant. :)

Before Jimmy Mullen arrived we had won only one of our first nine matches this season. Since then we have won 8 times and only lost once. Just a coincidence? Who knows? Obviously getting rid of Butler, Sonner and Carneiro has played some part in our revival.

Almost certainly not a coincidence. Anyone would work better with someone else to shoulder some of their workload. Just seems like common sense to me. The only issues are making sure you get the right person in (no point DD working better if the guy he brings in f*cks up his side of things) and, when there's a limited budget, deciding whether the increase in DD's capabilities that an assistant will provide outweighs the benefits of spending it on better players (who need less managing to get the same results) in the first place. In this instance, we seem to have got both of those considerations right.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:25 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Nah jimmy mullen hasn't made any difference whatsoever, ask Neil [if he's still around and hasn't sulked again], proving something with clear statistics means nothing you know!

On September 23rd 2007 Philthesaddler wrote:

Richard Money should resign after that performance, it was utterly dreadful and totally unacceptable. People say give him ten games. Well, he's had 9, albeit with two cup games, but every single one was winnable, and we've lost all but 3 of the games. I feel sorry for those that came because of the E&S offer, they certainly wont come back again.

Maybe Geordie [and others] you might just listen to my opinions in future, because I was spot on last saturday in what I said. There are major problems at the club, in the management and in the squad. We have gone backwards since last season, and we are seeing the consequences. Simple as.

You keep telling us so Phil, we need your expertise and insight.

Since what you described as "the blip" of the win at Millwall - well what you actually said was:

You lambasted me last week after the Millwall game for suggesting that we might not possibly have turned the corner, and that the win might be a flash in the pan, and guess what, I was right.

Oh, add to that at the start of the season when I said the team was weaker than that that finished last season, you lambasted me again, telling me I knew nothing and that i couldn't be more wrong, well, well, well, proved right again.

17 games and 2 defeats later Millwall come round again and you have the temerity to come on here using statistics to back up another attention seeking "I told you so post". Obviously Mullin has single-handedly corrected all of the "major problems at the club", Phew! well thank heavens for that.

Back in September you implored people to take you seriously, quite why this is so important to you is a matter for you and your ego. Three months later and you're still at it, how strange?

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:25 pm

Bernie wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:

Mullen has made a difference of course he as , but don't take anything away from DD he's still a bloody good manager after all who appointed Mullen.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Admit it phil....you've just been given a "pants down over the knee" public spanking by Geordie....accept it and move on mate.... :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:34 pm

Bernie wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:

That is of course to completely ignore that small fact that under DD we won the fourth division championship last season.

DD is an excellent football manager, part of his excellence involves the ability to realise when he has made a mistake and go ahead and rectify it.
He also has the ability to constantly assess where the weaknessess are in the football club so that they are identified and improved upon - the appointment of Mullin is one such example.

As I have said before DD is learning his trade as a manager, he has never managed at this level before. Give him time and he will get things right, just as he did last season.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:43 pm

And, for the benefit of both Phil and Bernie (neither of whom seem to let what people actually write affect their prejudices whatsoever), I never said that he didn't perform better with an assistant, any help with the workload would be bound to be an advantage. No, I was objecting to the games when Kinsella was here being classed as "having an assistant", when Kinsella was looking after the reserves, not the first team, and the fact that you were both clearly trying to denigrate Money's achievements by saying it was all down to Mullen (and clearly still are). What's the matter, nothing to moan about on the pitch following Saturday?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:06 pm

Is that seriously the best response you can come up with??

Deary me I am disappointed.

What next? Telling us your call for DD to resign was a "joke".

Nevermind Phil, I'm sure we'll lose a game sometime soon and you can get it all off your chest.

There must be wads of pent-up angst just waiting to be released in an orgasm of negativity - 2 months without defeat?? You must have taters like a pair of King Eddies.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:29 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Is that seriously the best response you can come up with??

Nevermind Phil, I'm sure we'll lose a game sometime soon and you can get it all off your chest.

There must be wads of pent-up angst just waiting to be released in an orgasm of negativity - 2 months without defeat?? You must have taters like a pair of King Eddies.

Quality.

It was a good photo of Geoff Whiting though. :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:44 pm

Exile wrote:Quality.

It was a good photo of Geoff Whiting though. :D

Who's the bloke holding him?

Harlequin

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:04 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:

That is of course to completely ignore that small fact that under DD we won the fourth division championship last season.

DD is an excellent football manager, part of his excellence involves the ability to realise when he has made a mistake and go ahead and rectify it.
He also has the ability to constantly assess where the weaknessess are in the football club so that they are identified and improved upon - the appointment of Mullin is one such example.
As I have said before DD is learning his trade as a manager, he has never managed at this level before. Give him time and he will get things right, just as he did last season.

Absolutely spot on, Geordie. I think the point in bold is one of the key skills of any successful manager in any walk of life. DD continues to show he is a master in this department and has got the majority of key decisions right. Where his direction has faltered on occasions no one can accuse him of not revisiting issues and tweaking them again until it works. Maybe not quickly enough for some people but then we're all experts and everything seems so simple and obvious :!:

Harlequin

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:14 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Is that seriously the best response you can come up with??

Funniest thing I've read for a while and how felicitous. Doesn't do to linger on the thought for too long though. :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:14 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:DD is an excellent football manager, part of his excellence involves the ability to realise when he has made a mistake and go ahead and rectify it.

So we were right to say DD ballsed up the team strengthening pre-season? Admit to that and I may just concede that you were right in allowing him more time to put right the problems :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:And, for the benefit of both Phil and Bernie (neither of whom seem to let what people actually write affect their prejudices whatsoever)

Post of the year, nay, decade. And the last time you let others opinions invade your own "I'm always right" stance was ....... ?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:19 pm

tinned wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:DD is an excellent football manager, part of his excellence involves the ability to realise when he has made a mistake and go ahead and rectify it.

So we were right to say DD ballsed up the team strengthening pre-season? Admit to that and I may just concede that you were right in allowing him more time to put right the problems :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:And, for the benefit of both Phil and Bernie (neither of whom seem to let what people actually write affect their prejudices whatsoever)

Post of the year, nay, decade. And the last time you let others opinions invade your own "I'm always right" stance was ....... ?

You're in danger of winning the UTS 2007 'poster who won't let it go' award yourself with quality like that, tinned! :D

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:22 pm

Exile wrote:
tinned wrote:

You're in danger of winning the UTS 2007 'poster who won't let it go' award yourself with quality like that, tinned! :D

Ooooh! There's strong competition for that award mate :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:06 am

tinned wrote:So we were right to say DD ballsed up the team strengthening pre-season?

IIRC, in the summer we brought in Paul Hall, Danny Sonner, Rhys Weston, Tommy Mooney, Carlos Carneiro, Junior, Eddy Sonko and Paul Boertien.

Weston, Mooney and Boertien are all good signings (so those who criticised them were wrong). Sonko and Hall are ok-ish, not my dream right wing combination but they are doing the job. Carneiro wasn't up to it but anyone who judged him on a handful of stats pulled off the internet is an idiot. Junior seems to be a waste of a contract - but was only on a short-term deal so no real harm done. Sonner was a big mistake as everyone agrees. I'm glad we managed to get shot of him so quickly.

In an ideal world, we would have shipped out Butler during the summer and brought in Michael Ricketts. That wasn't to be, however once we did get that deal done then Carneiro was on his way too.

So of the seven summer signings, three were good, two were ok and three were pretty poor - all those three will soon be off the books. If you define that as 'ballsed up' then so be it, but I think it's very harsh. I know that some people seem stunned by the fact that Richard Money can make a mistake, but I take it as read that as he is a human, these things will happen from time to time. More so, as he is a football manager at a third division club. All we can hope is that he makes as few mistakes as possible and puts right anything he does get wrong.

It seems to me that people are itching for him to make a mistake. He will do eventually, so if you criticise him enough then sooner or later you'll be proved right one way or another. And then those same people will call Richard Money over-sensitive for thinking our fans can be hyper-critical.

I guess someone will print another photo of a guy with a fishing rod or indeed a big fish in response to this, just so another UTS clique-joke can get another laughless airing.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:05 am

tinned wrote:

But the difference is I actually read what people write - as well as being always right anyway.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:51 am

tinned wrote:
Exile wrote:
tinned wrote:

Ooooh! There's strong competition for that award mate :D

:D

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:52 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
tinned wrote:

But the difference is I actually read what people write - as well as being always right anyway.

No-one likes a smarty pants, bet you've worked that out already tho ;)

Just how far up your arse is your head?

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season