Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nothampton Town (H) F A CUP 2nd Round Replay Tuesday 11/12/7

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:08 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:
tape66 wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
SaddlerInALabcoat wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Boresall 1 Northampton 0

Walsall were terrific tonight, they totally outplayed their opponents, had the majority of possesion and the Northampton keeper was totally inundated with literally one shot - god knows how he coped.

Once again Sonko was man of the match, managing to put in a perfect wingers performances beating his man lots of times and putting in loads of crosses for the ever lively Michael Ricketts.

Northampton, just like Boresalls previous opponents at the Bescot didn't have the better of the game, didnt create more chances, and really shouldn't have won the game, Boresall really taught them a lesson.

Its getting results aye it

It is, but they should have won that tonight, and Forest should have won last Tuesday. Thats two awful home performances, two games we should have lost.

But the good thing is, at least you're balanced. Because when we should have beaten Crewe at the weekend and ended up drawing 0-0 then you pointed out that fact too.

Oh no, my mistake - you didn't. That's because there is no pleasing Negative Phil.

And he probably wasnt there anyway :wink:
I have sat near Philthemoaner at home games and he spouts his usual crud no matter how we play.

He was..He was the row in front of me.. :wink:

Moaning ?

cancol

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:12 pm

tape66 wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:
tape66 wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
SaddlerInALabcoat wrote:

Walsall were terrific tonight, they totally outplayed their opponents, had the majority of possesion and the Northampton keeper was totally inundated with literally one shot - god knows how he coped.

Once again Sonko was man of the match, managing to put in a perfect wingers performances beating his man lots of times and putting in loads of crosses for the ever lively Michael Ricketts.

Northampton, just like Boresalls previous opponents at the Bescot didn't have the better of the game, didnt create more chances, and really shouldn't have won the game, Boresall really taught them a lesson.

It is, but they should have won that tonight, and Forest should have won last Tuesday. Thats two awful home performances, two games we should have lost.

But the good thing is, at least you're balanced. Because when we should have beaten Crewe at the weekend and ended up drawing 0-0 then you pointed out that fact too.

Oh no, my mistake - you didn't. That's because there is no pleasing Negative Phil.

And he probably wasnt there anyway :wink:
I have sat near Philthemoaner at home games and he spouts his usual crud no matter how we play.

He was..He was the row in front of me.. :wink:

Moaning ?

Only between deep breaths

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:50 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
SaddlerInALabcoat wrote:

He's probably still in a pit of despondency after spending the other day with James 'Captain Slow' May!! :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:36 am

If nicholls can learn to get the ball of the floor he could be useful, otherwise he is just useless.

Deeney was full of energy, he's gonna be good.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:38 am

Well, if Philthemoaner would of watched the match, he would indeed note down that the goalie, had two shots to contend with, not one :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 am

I would just like to agree with Phil. And I welcome him into the shady world of sarcasm with a manly punch to the shoulder and a knowing smile (or is it a smirk?)

As he correctly pointed out with his superhuman powers of footballing deducement the win at Millwall was just a "blip".

Since then we have failed to lose away in a further 7 attempts, and have failed to lose 14 of 16 games overall.

The cathartic "DD must be sacked" moment that followed Oldham at home, the game that perfectly demonstrated everything Phil had been warning us about for years...it appears nobody listened, and now its come to this.

Sadly Walsall, for the time being at least, don't lose games anymore, we don't even conceed goals. For some, Phil, Bernie, and a few others footballing life has become meaningless. Just an endless desert of boring success. Attempts to hijack congratulatory threads and turn them into "i told you so...if only you'd all listened...etc. etc." have chronicled the lame, inane, whimperings of a species of Saddler now almost choked into extinction by their unsatiated thirst for failure.

Tonight a missed opportunity for sustenance drifted by like a mirage, a poor performance, but cruely....another win.

Let us hope, even pray for these unfortunate few, that soon Walsall will deliver a typical debacle of biblical proportions, and once again our broad church and its only commandment "I shalt have my opinion" will underpin and embrace the thud of their keyboards without forcing them into practises where they have neither the wit nor the will to survive.

Surely Leeds can provide them with sal(i)vation?

Amen.
Last edited by Geordiesaddler on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 am

Do the two shots include the penalty? :?:

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:14 am

I don't come on here all that often, but there is always some whineing idiot taking the polar opposite stance of just about everyone else.

Zippy was one but since his departure it seems Phil The Saddler has stepped into the spotlight.

How big do these idots think Walsall FC are? We should be battering teams like Forest out of sight should we? Did you go to places like Rochdale and Hartlepool in the early nineties when we went in hope - was that football exciting enough for you?

Exciting, attacking football! Pi$$ off to Chelsea...

What has happened to Walsall fans? When Ray Graydon came we were all happy to get promotion on the back of dozens of 1-0, backs to the wall, hard working performances. If expectation has been raised to higher levels then I would like to know why!

Joe90
Glitterati

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:21 am

To be fair, for the record, a well respected UTS regular texted me at half time to say we were rubbish.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:30 am

I'm sure we were rubbish, but so what? It happens from time to time, so long as we arn't consistently rubbish then goodo.

Its strange that Phil didn't post an opinion about the Forest game on the Forest match-thread, he waited instead until we turned in a poor performance (tonight) and then tried to make some kind of tenuous link to describe a trend of rubbishness.

Of course anyone who was at the Forest game will have seen that we produced an excellent battling performance and a superb "against the odds" victory.

People arn't thick (although some pretend to be), so the hobby horse floggers will be exposed by the sight of their own naked metaphorical bollox eventually.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:23 am

I think Phil forgot to log in as 'futuresobright'. :wink:

I don't care how we perform as long as the results come in. We're never going to be a beautiful team (on current structure anyway) so stuff it. Enjoy the relative good times. The higher echelons of League One really are good times, so stop moaning and get behind the lads.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:11 am

It was all summed up for me in one moment last night. There was a bloke (never seen him before, mind) who had spent the entire game whinging and moaning at Ricketts and shouting for him to be taken off - started after about five minutes.

After the ref pointed to the spot when Demontagnac was bought down following the pass of the night - that exquisite reverse pass inside the full back from the aforementioned Ricketts - I was forced to turn around and point out that if that bloke had had is way, Michael wouldn't have been on the bloody pitch to make it. (Mind you, after saying that, I was certain he'd miss it).

The only thing I'd add to the match report is the Man of the Match. No arguments about Gerrard being up there, but it was Rhys Weston for me. I though he was immaculate last night and only made one error when he misplaced a pass with about 2 minutes to go.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:42 am

philthesaddler wrote:
SaddlerInALabcoat wrote:

I blame whoever invented the term 'Happy Clapper'. It has made people afraid to accept victory :roll:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:04 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:I'm sure we were rubbish, but so what? It happens from time to time, so long as we arn't consistently rubbish then goodo.

True.
We were pretty lousy at times last night, yes. Frezing my nadgers off, I was just pleased that it didn't go to extra time. As my mate said with about ten minutes to go "I think if they (Northampton) score I might cheer." :D

BUT, no injuries, no yellow/red cards, through to the next round and a winnable tie. Chalk it off as a 'win' and move on. I have every confidence that the players and staff will be pleased with the result but not the performance. I also have confidence that they have the wherewithall to put it right.

Back four are great. Sonko isn't.

It'll be interesting to see the composition of our midfield against Leeds on Saturday.

addo
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:26 am

King Crimson wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:I'm sure we were rubbish, but so what? It happens from time to time, so long as we arn't consistently rubbish then goodo.

True.
We were pretty lousy at times last night, yes. Frezing my nadgers off, I was just pleased that it didn't go to extra time. As my mate said with about ten minutes to go "I think if they (Northampton) score I might cheer." :D

BUT, no injuries, no yellow/red cards, through to the next round and a winnable tie. Chalk it off as a 'win' and move on. I have every confidence that the players and staff will be pleased with the result but not the performance. I also have confidence that they have the wherewithall to put it right.

It'll be interesting to see the composition of our midfield against Leeds on Saturday.

Interesting that.

What has happened to the performances of Sonko recently ?
He seems to be devoid of any confidence whatsoever.

What has happened to the player we saw earlier in the season ?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 am

King Crimson wrote:

True.

DD was again singing the praises of 4-5-1/4-3-3 after the match, as he said it brings the best out in Ishy.

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:48 am

addo wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

True.

Interesting that.

What has happened to the performances of Sonko recently ?
He seems to be devoid of any confidence whatsoever.

What has happened to the player we saw earlier in the season ?

Its the cold Addo, when Mr Sunshine meets Jack Frost there can only be one winner ;)

addo
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:51 am

To be fair, the games played in the 4-5-1 formation also coincided with Sonko at his best, as well as Ishy.

Presumably Ricketts would drop to the bench, which I can handle.
The question is , who would be the additional man in midfield ?

How far away from full fitness is Dobson now?
The quotes from a few weeks ago suggested he could possibly be ready for the Leeds game.

The only other alternative, I feel, is dropping Deeney in there.
He did OK in that position at Tranmere, but it would be nice to have a player with a little more nouse against Leeds.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:06 am

philthesaddler wrote:
SaddlerInALabcoat wrote:

If you don't score a goal over 90 minutes then you don't have any right to complain about losing. Football's about scoring more goals than the other side - if you do that then (barring really shocking refereeing decisions) you deserve to win regardless of what else goes on. Forest couldn't score past us last week, Northampton couldn't yesterday night, so neither deserved to win. We, on the other hand, scored in both games - so the performances can't have been that awful. (Incidentally, we couldn't score against Crewe, so we didn't deserve to win that one no matter how well people think we played.)

We weren't very good last night (we were against Forest actually - ok, so they missed a couple of chances, but we stuck to our task against a very good side, took our chance when it came, were only denied a second by the referee and had reduced them to very optimistic penalty shouts at the end), but it was always going to be tough on a cold night against a team we'd already played twice in two weeks and with the Leeds game looming as a bit of a distraction. Again, we kept going to the end, the ball by Ricketts into Ishmel was the classiest bit of play on the night and he'd have had a clear shot on goal if he hadn't been brought down. Maybe Northampton had had slightly the better of the play but they were hardly forcing Ince into save after save (neither did Forest), so it's not as if they were battering us.

Northampton are a poor team in this division, but it's still a good sign that we can beat them even when we're under par. That means there's little chance we'll be sucked back into a relegation battle Forest are a very good side in this division. It's an even better sign that we can beat them when we play well, but probably not at our absolute best. There comes a point when it's just silly to keep on claiming that our good results are due to "luck". I think after one defeat in fourteen we're well past that point now. We've got one of the best first XI's in this division at the moment (and a lot of them are very young too). Ok, so we probably don't have the cover to sustain a play-off push through the winter, but we really should be looking to enjoy this season for what it is - an unexpected bonus.

This goes back to the point about whether our fans are unreasonably negative. We've just won the title of the division below, we're now 8th and one of the form sides in this division. The fans of almost any other side would be jumping around, gloating to fans of other teams, generally talking their team up to their mates and giving it a whole lot of chat about how we're going to beat Leeds on Saturday (and we do have an excellent chance - especially if we score first). Surely all of that is what being a fan's all about? Can't we just get on with enjoying ourselves and not try to talk down our side? If you can't enjoy this kind of time then I really don't see what you get out of being a football fan (unless you actually like moaning).

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:18 am

If anyone on here thinks we deserved to win last night, and against Forest, then they severely need their heads looking at.

It's not negativity for the sake of it. We were very very poor in both games - against much contrasting oppositions, and neither game we deserved to win.

It says something for the defence that we didn't concede in either, but it's pretty shocking when in two home games all we can muster is 2 maybe 3 shots on target.

Northampton showed tonnes more intent to win the game last night - we just tried to stop them scoring - if you don't agree with that you're either stupid, or blind. Some people just blindly say 'we were brilliant'.

I had no comment to make after the Forest win - I was delighted with the 3 points, but ashamed of the way we got them - if I was a forest fan I'd have been totally gutted that we'd not won, just like last night I imagine Northampton fans would feels rightly agrieved, they had about 4 good attempts on goal, one cleared off the line, and that sitter that the guy missed in the last minute. They spent more time in our penalty area than we spent in their half. We were piss poor and if Money, or anyone else for that matter thinks that was a good performance, and a worthy win, then they're very much wrong. To be at home and to be out-passed, out-maneovered and out thought - nearly out-classed by a weak Northampton side isn't a pleasing performance by any stretch of the imagination.

It's only the strength and current form of Gerrard and Dann that allowed us to win last night, it would otherwise have been 2-1, and what would people be saying then? Beaten by Northampton at home and failing to attack nearly all night.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:27 am

philthesaddler wrote:If anyone on here thinks we deserved to win last night, and against Forest, then they severely need their heads looking at.

It's not negativity for the sake of it. We were very very poor in both games - against much contrasting oppositions, and neither game we deserved to win.

It says something for the defence that we didn't concede in either, but it's pretty shocking when in two home games all we can muster is 2 maybe 3 shots on target.

Northampton showed tonnes more intent to win the game last night - we just tried to stop them scoring - if you don't agree with that you're either stupid, or blind. Some people just blindly say 'we were brilliant'.

I had no comment to make after the Forest win - I was delighted with the 3 points, but ashamed of the way we got them - if I was a forest fan I'd have been totally gutted that we'd not won, just like last night I imagine Northampton fans would feels rightly agrieved, they had about 4 good attempts on goal, one cleared off the line, and that sitter that the guy missed in the last minute. They spent more time in our penalty area than we spent in their half. We were pee poor and if Money, or anyone else for that matter thinks that was a good performance, and a worthy win, then they're very much wrong. To be at home and to be out-passed, out-maneovered and out thought - nearly out-classed by a weak Northampton side isn't a pleasing performance by any stretch of the imagination.

It's only the strength and current form of Gerrard and Dann that allowed us to win last night, it would otherwise have been 2-1, and what would people be saying then? Beaten by Northampton at home and failing to attack nearly all night.

Did this actually happen?

If my aunt had hob nail boots she'd be my uncle, etc etc...

We scored a goal, they didn't. We deserved to win, they didn't. End of story. Just as at the start of the season when other teams kept scoring more than us we weren't unlucky, just not good enough.

According to some, we were lucky to win the league last season (although I don't really understand how you can be "lucky" to get more points than any of 23 other sides over the course of a 46 match season), we were "found out" in the first few games of this season, the win against Millwall was "a blip", Oldham exposed how poor we really are and the results since then have been almost entirely down to luck again - all 8 wins and all 6 draws - with only the one defeat and maybe the win against Huddersfield being "deserved". I'm sorry, but if you really believe that any side can be consistently "lucky" for a run of 15 games then you're seriously deluded.

[post moderated - language]
Last edited by Plastic Hawk on Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:28 am

philthesaddler wrote:If anyone on here thinks we deserved to win last night, and against Forest, then they severely need their heads looking at etc blah blah blah

You don't deserve to win by creating more chances, as Hawky says above, count the goals up and then work out who deserves to win. Your stubbornness is making you appear daft, Phil.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:34 am

For gods sake people, we were bloody awful last night, we played like the away team FFS.

The forest game was only marginally better and worthy of more credit simply because forest looked a decent side.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:38 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:...some bull

I'm not saying the long run is down to luck, thats purely ridiculous. We've obviously found some consistency from somewhere, mainly down to the defence.

However, stop being so blindly supportive of what was two very poor performances. In neither game we didn't do enough to win, yet we won. AT HOME!

We played like the away side, it was a shocking lack of attacking intent.

[post moderated - language does not help make a point]

ws3
Glitterati

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:40 am

philthesaddler wrote:For gods sake people, we were bloody awful last night, we played like the away team FFS.

The forest game was only marginally better and worthy of more credit simply because forest looked a decent side.

Can't you find it in your heart to simply accept the victories and praise the guys for achieving them even when they played poor? Luckily they weren't as negative as you otherwise it would be Northampton v Millwall and back down to 12th in the table.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:43 am

philthesaddler wrote:For gods sake people, we were bloody awful last night, we played like the away team FFS.

This is like pulling teeth.

I don't think anyone's disputing that we played badly last night, and Forest would have beaten us if they had taken their chances in the first half.

That doesn't mean that we didn't deserve to win both matches!

I was talking to a Wolves fan towards the end of last season just after they had lost 3-2 at home to Blues but having played lots of nice football and created loads of chances. He said "if we play like that for the rest of the season we'll get promoted". QED.

Randy Camel

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:44 am

Phil can you just remind me how many worthwhile attempts ON target Forest had last Tuesday?
And how can you say you are ashamed of the way we got three points.
As far as Im concerned having 11 players with the bottle and desire to throw thier bodies on the line where others wouldnt is all I will ever ask of my team and if people believe it was any different under Graydon they need to have a proper think.
Because for me we play in exactly the same style based on a excellent keeper, a solid back four, a workman like midfield who keep their discipline and a hardworking frontman!
Yes we have our limitations going forward but this side is still in its infancy and when you put that into consideration they are picking up results they and us probably never envisaged and long may it continue.
Of course we could always bring Merse back with his cavalier style of football where players couldnt care less about defending, had as much organiastion and fitness as a Division Five Sunday morning team and cared as much about this club as we do about the 15 point deduction the mighty Leeds recieved.
I can not remember seeing such a young Walsall side play with such passion and as far as Im concerned they deserve every point they have picked up!

RANT OVER

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

cyclothymic wrote:Weston was great first half

Ince was his usual great self

Ant and Dann were great

Fox was great

It was a cold match and the Cobblers had far more chances than we did

Ishi scared them to bits and he was clearly either going to score or get brought down in the box

Ricketts put the pen away without trouble

They missed a sitter from about a yard right on full time

This is the FA cup and getting through to the next round (which is very winable) was the objective

Job done

Of the 3066 people who were there I doubt anyone would have described this as a good match, but about 2900 of us think it is a great result

(Oh - and thanks for the Worthers Originals Leamore. My shout next time)

Couldn't have summed it up better myself.

The best Northampton had played in all 3 recent matches, we just couldn't get into the match 1st half.

Good to see 3 young substitutes given a decent run out.

So glad it didn't go to extra time, can only just feel my toes.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

ws3 wrote:

Can't you find it in your heart to simply accept the victories and praise the guys for achieving them even when they played poor? Luckily they weren't as negative as you otherwise it would be Northampton v Millwall and back down to 12th in the table.

Oh sorry, my mistake, I forgot the point of discussion is to all blindly spout the same rhetoric and agree accordingly. Please forgive for having an opinion that doesnt follow these lines:

Richard Money is akin to Jose Mourihno
We were brilliant last night
Well done lads you outplayed them
Even though we struggled we won, which is a sign of a good side [most over used and utterly bull sh!t cliché of all time]

For the record, I think we can make the playoffs this season, purely because of our defensive consistency - but I'm seriously getting very pissed off with our negative style of play.

Oh, and one more thing - why am I negative when all I'm asking for is attacking football where the side who shows the most endeavour and will to win, actually goes on to win.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:50 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:...some bull sh!t

I'm not saying the long run is down to luck, thats purely ridiculous. We've obviously found some consistency from somewhere, mainly down to the defence.

However, stop being so blindly supportive of what was two very poor performances. In neither game we didn't do enough to win, yet we won. AT HOME!

We played like the away side, it was a shocking lack of attacking intent.

Isn't the defence (and the keeper) a valid part of the team then? Play to your strengths - ours main one is the defence (which, I've just been saying to a mate who supports Leeds, might well be the best in the division as a unit), but we're not very good at breaking down other teams when they're set. So, it's not a bad idea for us to invite a certain amount of pressure in order to stretch the game a bit and give our attacking players a chance of exploiting the space.

I'm not being blindly supportive - but one thing that I did see as I left the ground at the end last night was the big electric thing on top of the away end that said "Saddlers 1 Cobblers 0". So long as we win more games than we lose I don't really care if we have 70% of the play or 5%. And for all your carping about "attacking intent", we scored a goal, they didn't. So, unless you claim we scored by accident, we must have showed some intent to attack. The point of the game is to score more goals than the other lot, no matter how you do it (even if that does mean playing "like the away side" at Bescot). We did that last night and against Forest last week and in another six of the last fifteen games. That deserves huge amounts of praise, not pointless carping about styles of play. If you want guaranteed entertainment, go to the circus, if you want to see two teams battling (physically and mentally) to win a game of football, come back to Bescot on Saturday.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season