Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nothampton Town (H) F A CUP 2nd Round Replay Tuesday 11/12/7

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:52 pm

Bernie wrote:A few weeks ago there was a thread about which we wanted more: to beat Northampton in the league or in the cup. We really should all be very happy indeed that we have managed to do both.

Good point. I didn't really think we'd win both, given the proximity of the games. We have to do the same to Millwall now!

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:You're at least a year late on this topic, sorry. The fact remains we would be far better off with Mark Wright in the squad now than without him because Nicholls just isn't good enough competition for Sonko right now and unfortunately keeps proving it when he gets given a chance by DD.

Mark Wrightk, now fit is keeping some good players out of the team at MK Dons.

Oh, I didn't realize that certain people had the power to declare certain matters closed (presumably whenever awkward statistics come up). Apologies!! :wink:

In any case, I agree with you about Wright over Nicholls (not least because I don't ever see AN making it as a winger - if at all). However, at the start of the season presumably the plan was to have Hall offering competition to Sonko. I'd have Wright over Hall too, but just because DD hasn't replaced him properly doesn't mean that he shouldn't have been replaced at all. Right wing is one of the (few) areas where I think we're weak at the moment even if we had no injuries.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:58 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:You're at least a year late on this topic, sorry. The fact remains we would be far better off with Mark Wright in the squad now than without him because Nicholls just isn't good enough competition for Sonko right now and unfortunately keeps proving it when he gets given a chance by DD.

Oh, I didn't realize that certain people had the power to declare certain matters closed (presumably whenever awkward statistics come up). Apologies!! :wink:

In any case, I agree with you about Wright over Nicholls (not least because I don't ever see AN making it as a winger - if at all). However, at the start of the season presumably the plan was to have Hall offering competition to Sonko. I'd have Wright over Hall too, but just because DD hasn't replaced him properly doesn't mean that he shouldn't have been replaced at all. Right wing is one of the (few) areas where I think we're weak at the moment even if we had no injuries.

Having said that, I also think that Hall didn't do too badly when he went to right wing at the start of the second half until he went off. Probably one of his best periods for us this time around.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:04 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

"Oh, I didn't realize that certain people had the power to declare certain matters closed (presumably whenever awkward statistics come up). Apologies!!

"
...How do you think he manages to be right all the time PH..... :D :D :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:06 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

"Oh, I didn't realize that certain people had the power to declare certain matters closed (presumably whenever awkward statistics come up). Apologies!!

"

By attending matches.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:08 pm

The pleasing aspect of last night's game was the fact that despite having inferior possession and a few players in the side who were below par, we had that one moment of quality which allowed us to win the game.
Just how I said at the time that Ricketts was the only player in our squad who could have scored the goal he got against Forest, I think he was the only player on the pitch last night with the ability to play that pass. Similarly, a player other than Ishmel would have struggled to get on the end of it.

Money has built a side full of ability and is finding the most effective way of making the best of it. If that means we play dull football knowing that we can bide our time, contain the opposition and come up with that grain of quality then that's what we'll do. There's certainly no complaints coming from me.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:10 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:The pleasing aspect of last night's game was the fact that despite having inferior possession and a few players in the side who were below par, we had that one moment of quality which allowed us to win the game.
Just how I said at the time that Ricketts was the only player in our squad who could have scored the goal he got against Forest, I think he was the only player on the pitch last night with the ability to play that pass. Similarly, a player other than Ishmel would have struggled to get on the end of it.

Money has built a side full of ability and is finding the most effective way of making the best of it. If that means we play dull football knowing that we can bide our time, contain the opposition and come up with that grain of quality then that's what we'll do. There's certainly no complaints coming from me.

Well said. Actually after we scored we started to play for a bit even if it was late on. There was another excellent pass from Rickets after the goal which put Deeney through. He's still a lazy donkey though. :roll:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:10 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

"

By attending matches.
Try missing a couple Mark....you could just become a mear mortal....instead of "mr f-in know it all".... :wink:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:14 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

"

By attending matches.
Try missing a couple Mark....you could just become a mear mortal....instead of "mr f-in know it all".... :wink:

Why settle for second best?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:17 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

"

By attending matches.

Got to hand it to you Mark....you revel in being mr know it all.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:28 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

"

By attending matches.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Even I laughed at that. Just a bit worried that the boss is wondering what's so funny about all the work he's given me to do...

Rob's right though. Yesterday's match showed why you need to have some quality players (even if they maybe don't run around like crazy all the time) as well as players who "try hard". In fact, now I come to think of it, it was one of the best examples so far of what those of us who were happy to see Ricketts come back said he'd offer us - the ability to win matches without necessarily appearing to be in them for long periods of time. And that's something all teams need to be able to do.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:41 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

"

By attending matches.

Got to hand it to you Mark....you revel in being mr know it all.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope, I revel in people believing it all and judging from a message board persona.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

"

By attending matches.

Nope, I revel in people believing it all and judging from a message board persona.
How else can people judge Mark?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:59 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

"

By attending matches.

How else can people judge Mark?

I'm not asking them to judge any other way. I quite enjoy it which is why I go along with it.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:19 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Why settle for second best?

You'll just have to ban me. :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:37 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Why settle for second best?

You'll just have to ban me. :D

:lol:

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:39 am

who was it who said " you make your own luck in football" ?

http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/12/1 ... sall-luck/

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:29 pm

sid swifty wrote:
booster cogburn wrote:
sid swifty wrote:I think phil needs to accept that DD plays that way and wont change.....if you think back to when his name was first mentioned as our new manager...we had some of his ex-clubs supporters on here saying how negative he is...and thats how he has proved....so either accept it phil or do the same as me and my sons and also 3 or 4 other people i personally know....dont waste your hard earned money on them mate...why do you think there were only 3,000 there? (thats a retoricle question by the way).

That's a bit harsh Sid. We knock it about quite nicely when possible and keep it tight where necessary. It's not always easy on the eye by any means but that's a small price to pay for the general upturn in playing fortunes since the arrival of DD.
I agree mate...if all you want is to be fairly high up the league and your not particularily bothered how we do it then thats fine...but ive seen so many really bad performances over the last 3 seasons (which means Merson as well obviously)....and even last season when we won the league (a time for celibration you would think)...the football was terrible....I had to stop going halfway through the season....it was depressing me....but I look forward to the day when I can start going again...either when DD gets a more positive attitude or when he leaves/gets the sack.

Pathetic..Stay away for longer then we don't need attitudes like that :D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:33 am

coxy_saddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
booster cogburn wrote:
sid swifty wrote:I think phil needs to accept that DD plays that way and wont change.....if you think back to when his name was first mentioned as our new manager...we had some of his ex-clubs supporters on here saying how negative he is...and thats how he has proved....so either accept it phil or do the same as me and my sons and also 3 or 4 other people i personally know....dont waste your hard earned money on them mate...why do you think there were only 3,000 there? (thats a retoricle question by the way).

That's a bit harsh Sid. We knock it about quite nicely when possible and keep it tight where necessary. It's not always easy on the eye by any means but that's a small price to pay for the general upturn in playing fortunes since the arrival of DD.
I agree mate...if all you want is to be fairly high up the league and your not particularily bothered how we do it then thats fine...but ive seen so many really bad performances over the last 3 seasons (which means Merson as well obviously)....and even last season when we won the league (a time for celibration you would think)...the football was terrible....I had to stop going halfway through the season....it was depressing me....but I look forward to the day when I can start going again...either when DD gets a more positive attitude or when he leaves/gets the sack.

Since when has it been up to you who goes to the match?....***head.
[post modded - language]

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:56 am

sid swifty wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
booster cogburn wrote:

[post modded - language]

To be fair, he has got a point!

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:08 pm

sid swifty wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
booster cogburn wrote:

[post modded - language]

'Kin ell, what you got stuck up your arse?

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:47 pm

sid swifty wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
booster cogburn wrote:

[post modded - language]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No surprise yam coming out for the leeds match..

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season