Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nottingham Forest (H) League 1 Tuesday 4/12/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
PeruSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:14 pm

To be honest, this may have been covered earlier in this gargantuan thread, but why does the UpTheSaddlers report say Ricketts second 'goal' was disallowed for offside?

Is this because it said so on the Beeb site? Or is it it because the man who gave the decision (the ref) indicated clearly to Ricketts his arm was offside?

That co ck-up apart I thought he was the best ref we've had for some time, albeit that isn't difficult!

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:49 pm

As an aside, did anyone notice the overcrowded away end last night? The seats were all full and there were supporters standing on the steps, by the wall etc as well. About 5-10 minutes in the stewards suddenly realised they had let too many fans in the away end and opened up the end of the WBBS stand for them.

At least they did something about the problem, pity there was no way of tracking how many actually went through the turnstiles in the first place.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:53 pm

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:56 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:As an aside, did anyone notice the overcrowded away end last night? The seats were all full and there were supporters standing on the steps, by the wall etc as well. About 5-10 minutes in the stewards suddenly realised they had let too many fans in the away end and opened up the end of the WBBS stand for them.

At least they did something about the problem, pity there was no way of tracking how many actually went through the turnstiles in the first place.

According to some they believed the figures quoted of 1500 away fans. :roll:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:59 pm

Bit ambiguous, that. :?

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:27 pm

unless I've missed it tho, no mention about the cup of tea/pie incident

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Gaz the Train wrote:unless I've missed it tho, no mention about the cup of tea/pie incident

Whoever threw that pie should be banned for life. Tosser.

Gaz, you weren't in the Saddlers, playing darts, after the game were you?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:58 pm

THE GAME ACCORDING TO FOREST FANS.
Attendance: 6,605 (away attendance 1,573)

the hoodoo stranglehold that the Saddlers seemingly have on the Reds continued in miserable fashion at The Banks' Stadium – this without mentioning the uncanny curse of the Manager of the Month award (remember Forest Manager Calderwood was awarded the honour for November ahead of his Walsall counterpart Richard Money last week)

It is now a whole seven years and nine matches since Forest last secured victory over Walsall, although after the opening 45 minutes it looked as if that unenviable record of one win in 14 matches could possibly change.

Calderwood was forced into one change from the side that secured last week's F A Cup replay win over Lincoln. Former Walsall man Julian Bennett failed to recover from injury – as is likely to be missing for at least a month – so Matt Lockwood was handed a chance to start his Forest career again having recovered from an ankle injury which has meant only one appearance since his summer move from Leyton Orient. Skipper Ian Brekin also returned to the defence having missed that cup success over The Imps.

Forest started the game the brighter of the two sides by keeping possession well and adopting the patient approach in waiting for openings to arrive that has been much-talked about by manager and players alike of late. By half-time, the game could and probably should have been won with the Reds having the better of the chances.

And it was Lockwood who had the first opportunity after eight minutes, meeting a half-cleared clearance from a corner to send a searing bending drive a mere yard past the post with Clayton Ince beaten. In fact Lockwood throughout showed no signs of his injury with a determined willingness to get forward at every opportunity and expose the space that winger Kris Commons made for him, whilst looking assured and equally sharp and rugged in the tackle.

It was another of Lockwood's foray's that created another chance towards the end of the half when in probably Forest's best move of the half his run and driven cross was a yard away from being touched in by the lunging Nathan Tyson.

Either side of that, Tyson was guilty of spurning two opportunities which on another day the striker would have taken with consummate ease, not dissimilar to last Tuesday.

The first, a free header from close range bounced agonizingly wide of the far post from the ever-industrious Chris Cohen's cross. The second came late in the half when he found himself in a similar position to that when he scored the second of his goals last week but on this occasion under pressure from Ince and the Saddlers central defenders put his effort over.

Take nothing away from Tyson as he chased and harried to great effect in the first period, having been deployed as the lone striker up front. The back-up in shape of Cohen, Samnmy Clingan, Lewis McGugan and Kris Commons was swift on the counter, but more often that not Tyson was left to battle for high balls with no one on hand to pick up the pieces.

Nevertheless, McGugan and Commons both also had half-decent scoring chances; McGugan seeing a drive go a yard or so over Ince's crossbar early on before Commons missed the target with a headed chance, as did Cohen moments before the break when the ball came to him through a crowd of players.

For all this, Walsall did provide a marginal threat with the experienced bald-headed figure of Tommy Mooney firing high into the Forest supporting masses on the quarter hour – a chance which in view of his recent scoring form he would have been disappointed not to have buried having capitalized on Brekin for not the first time misjudging a bouncing ball. Mooney's striker partner Michael Rickett's sent a trademark towering header in the same direction and that pretty much summed up Walsall's attacking threat for the opening 45 minutes.

So, half-time arrived with Forest in control, seemingly needing a goal to underline that against a home side offering little if any potency in going forward

Two minutes into the second half, the whole context of the game changed as Walsall were handed a chance to go in front which they duly took.

Clingan's attempted back header presumably to Brekin or Kelvin Wilson from midway in the Forest half did not make it and was pounced upon by Ricketts who powered forward shrugging off the attentions of Wilson before firing past Smith.

Understandably buoyed by this opportunist strike, the home side visibly raised their game, closing the Reds down in possession quicker than previous, whilst Forest did not help themselves the longer the half went on as passes went astray, their play became sloppy (for a better word) and in the middle of midfield they were caught in possession too often and were guilty of over-elaborating with the build-up when the chance to spread play was there.

And still Forest were letting chances slip by, as Cohen lifted a header over the bar from close range, whilst a succession of corners ended without substance.

The introduction of Junior Agogo for Commons with 15 minutes failed to kindle a reaction from Forest as their vain attempts to forge a way through the Saddlers back-line ultimately proved futile. The flowing, incisive football of the first half was clearly not there and even the late appearance of Grant Holt to make a three-pronged attacking threat failed to trouble Ince in the home goal.

In fact, at the other end, Smith up until the final ten minutes had been virtually redundant was called into action in closing stages. Ricketts saw denied a second goal with four minutes remaining as his header was disallowed for a foul on the Reds keeper, before Smith saw the striker's late free kick go narrowly past the post.

The body language of the players at the end said it all and summed up the conditions; the persistent drizzle in some way played its part on what looked a heavy Bescot pitch.

Hopefully there will be not too many away nights like this to come, and that the abject disappointment can be turned around on Friday night on the south coast, with another tricky away assignment at 7th placed Brighton.

Forest: Smith, Chambers, Wilson, Breckin, Lockwood (Holt 86), Cohen, McGugan, Davies, Clingan, Tyson, Commons (Agogo 72)

Subs (Not Used): Roberts, Morgan, Perch.

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:04 pm

tinned wrote:
Gaz the Train wrote:unless I've missed it tho, no mention about the cup of tea/pie incident

Whoever threw that pie should be banned for life. muppet.

No wasn't me Dave, I dont know anyone to go in with lol let alone play darts with

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:30 pm

Gaz the Train wrote:
tinned wrote:

No wasn't me Dave, I dont know anyone to go in with lol let alone play darts with

There was a David Baddiel lookalike in there and I thought it may have been you. Good job I didn't slap him for voting for the hells spawn that is Same Difference :wink:

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:32 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Bit ambiguous, that. :?

Yeah thats a thinly veiled attack on his players aint it, well according to radio WdingleM it would be :P

Cueball
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Fantastic result against in my opinion the best side we have played in the league so far.

They passed the ball well and moved it quickly and their touch and control was good. We under great pressure in the first half but the workrate, closing down and defending as a unit was good. They were also lucky as they missed a few chances in the first half but personally I think we earned that luck.

Second half we were on top and had a go at them and played much better football because we took the game to them. We're developing the qualities we had last year but against better sides, difficult to break down and capable of snatching the odd goal (or two as it was) on the break.

Momentum and confidence is building, it doesn't surprise me, it's a Dicky Dosh team after all and I will look forward to collecting my money rom Cueball, pity no-one had the confidence to take the bigger money bet. :P I'll offer the chance for Cueball to save face by doubling the bet if we get into the play offs or he doesn't have to pay if we don't. ;)

Believe.

That's very big of you (for some reason that sounds sarcastic, it's not meant to be!!). I however am starting to believe! So, I think I'll just pay up the £20 and swear never to bet against the Saddlers again. In fact, I will even pay up the bet before Christmas (if I happen to see you in the Saddlers Club) because there is no way this team is going to get relegated. Please forgive me for lacking in belief.

Oh and MMF, I know you'll value this more than the money - 'YOU WERE RIGHT'.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:44 pm

Ego Sum Ego Existo wrote:
Goose277 wrote:
Ego Sum Ego Existo wrote:
Goose277 wrote:
Pheasey_Saddler wrote:Great battling performance tonight. Looking at the depth at their squad at the quality they are supposed to possess up front, I would not have been disappointed with a draw tonight.

I'm getting slightly p****d of with WM at the moment with the way they keep banging on about DD being unhappy with the fans. It seems they are keeping a closer eye on his movements than actually watching the game. The crowd were pretty quiet 1st half (including a very quiet away support) but 2nd half it was a much better atmosphere. Personally, I didn't see anything relating to DD being uhappy with the fans tonight and he seemed upbeat in his interview after the game. Well done DD, keep the momentum going fella!

He seemed to be annoyed with someone as they made their first sub. OAP stand moaning again I think. (Well, someone in there, I know you aint all the same)

Thought we battled well tonight against a quality side. Eddy had an off day and I thought Sweeny lost possession a bit too often but overall, hard work won it for us.

Totally agree with MOM

He's big, he's scouse........

I dont, Yes he was awesome again (Gerrard) but Scott Dann is light years in front of him.

If you could only pick one of them, I would still choose Dann but Gerrards performance tonight and saturday was bang on. Credit where it's due.

^^^^

I actually meant credit for him getting MOM.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:04 pm

Cueball wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Fantastic result against in my opinion the best side we have played in the league so far.

They passed the ball well and moved it quickly and their touch and control was good. We under great pressure in the first half but the workrate, closing down and defending as a unit was good. They were also lucky as they missed a few chances in the first half but personally I think we earned that luck.

Second half we were on top and had a go at them and played much better football because we took the game to them. We're developing the qualities we had last year but against better sides, difficult to break down and capable of snatching the odd goal (or two as it was) on the break.

Momentum and confidence is building, it doesn't surprise me, it's a Dicky Dosh team after all and I will look forward to collecting my money rom Cueball, pity no-one had the confidence to take the bigger money bet. :P I'll offer the chance for Cueball to save face by doubling the bet if we get into the play offs or he doesn't have to pay if we don't. ;)

Believe.

That's very big of you (for some reason that sounds sarcastic, it's not meant to be!!). I however am starting to believe! So, I think I'll just pay up the £20 and swear never to bet against the Saddlers again. In fact, I will even pay up the bet before Christmas (if I happen to see you in the Saddlers Club) because there is no way this team is going to get relegated. Please forgive me for lacking in belief.

thats what blind faith can do :wink:

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:11 pm

tinned wrote:
Gaz the Train wrote:
tinned wrote:

There was a David Baddiel lookalike in there and I thought it may have been you. Good job I didn't slap him for voting for the tremendous recording group that is Same Difference :wink:

No the baddiel look has gone now kind of, lol, well the goatee has and I'm eating pork again, :) According to some cheeky monkey I look more like Billy Bragg???

And on same difference, I'm just drumming up support, you dont think I'm going to waste 25p voting ;)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:22 pm

Cueball wrote:

Believe.

:lol: Luv yow.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:36 pm

Great to read so many positive comments. Sounds like a very impressive display...roll on Leeds!

Ashley_Walsall

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:39 pm

What a game !

deanonev69
Glitterati

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:18 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Great to read so many positive comments. Sounds like a very impressive display...roll on Leeds!

That's exactly what it was! Have to say Forest should have scored with Tyson's misses being awful. But we battled and deserved what we ended up with. Back four were immense and MTM could have been any of them.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Cueball wrote:

Believe.

No, it's because DD listened to us and changed things.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:04 pm

tinned wrote:
Cueball wrote:

Believe.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(That was a joke, right? :wink: )

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:54 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
tinned wrote:
Cueball wrote:

Believe.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(That was a joke, right? :wink: )

Of course it was a joke. There is no way DD would listen to us "moaning fans". He came to the same conclusion as many fans did.

Just about 2 months later

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:18 am

tinned wrote:
Cueball wrote:

Believe.

Yeah, but the people who had faith in the manager trusted him to get it right and judged accordingly just like we did last January when many, you included suggested the world was falling down and there was no chance of promotion. CHAMPIONS.

DD is a great manager. He recognises problems and acts perfectly accordingly. Accept it and move on. That I am completely right about and that was the issue.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:22 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
tinned wrote:
Cueball wrote:

Believe.

Yeah, but the people who had faith in the manager trusted him to get it right and judged accordingly just like we did last January when many, you included suggested the world was falling down and there was no chance of promotion. CHAMPIONS.

DD is a great manager. He recognises problems and acts perfectly accordingly. Accept it and move on. That I am completely right about and that was the issue.

here here

Gutter Press

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:47 am

Just watched the first goal on virgin. That little touch Ricketts takes with his left foot to just sneak it away from the Notts defender, followed by an instant right footed bang was just superb. A real quality finish.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:50 am

Gutter Press wrote:Just watched the first goal on virgin. That little touch Ricketts takes with his left foot to just sneak it away from the Notts defender, followed by an instant right footed bang was just superb. A real quality finish.

Funnily enough, it reminded me very much of his goal against us for Oldham. At the time, I was rather jealous of Oldham for having a quality finisher like Ricketts in the team where as we had to put up with Butler, who had lost all ability in front of goal over the past six months. How times change! Until January.

addo
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:07 pm

Sounds like these Forest fans enjoyed their day out in WS1...................... :shock:

http://www.forestfans.net/index.php?showtopic=12691

We get their vote for crappiest ground & crappiest atmosphere.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:38 pm

addo wrote:Sounds like these Forest fans enjoyed their day out in WS1...................... :shock:

And I thought this site was full of moaners :wink:.
Interesting to read some of the pre match posts , quite a few Foest fans predicted a Walsall win.
The one poster summed things up raher well saying something on the lines of its fine passing the ball around looking good but sometimes on wet cold days away from home you need a little extra bottle Walsall had that in abundance .

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:49 pm

addo wrote:Sounds like these Forest fans enjoyed their day out in WS1...................... :shock:

Say what they like Buddsy we took the points Thanks very much.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:58 pm

Duke wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
tinned wrote:
Cueball wrote:

Believe.

here here

Don't go to the chippy tonight love, I've caught myself two beauties for you to grill :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season