Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Nottingham Forest (H) League 1 Tuesday 4/12/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:02 am

booster cogburn wrote:Great battling performance especially in the second half, very proud of them, but please let's not carried away with any of this "best home performance of the season" nonsense. Don't let the euphoria of a fine victory cloud your judgment too much.

First half we battled ok but were sloppy defensively and should have gone in 2 or 3 down. We were only saved by woeful finishing.

Second half was much tidier and (after they gifted us our goal) the great team spirit that DD has instilled in his players carried us through to the end. Oddly, Forest seemed to run out of ideas when they brought Einstein Agogo on. Which was nice.

Just to clear up the DD and the text stand incident. It was about half way through the second half and the whole of our crowd was very quiet. DD turned round and gestured towards the hordes of ermm corporate guests and visitors from other clubs with comp tickets and press box members and senior, sedate Walsall fans to make some noise. He then pointed at the scoreboard and shouted "look at the score!" and made a dismissive gesture.
I must say that annoyed me a bit because apart from a few of us on our row, most people never make any noise in that stand immediately behind the dug outs, and neither would you expect them to. The main cauldron of noise ought to come from behind the goal and tonight, like at most other games, it was very quiet for long periods.

Agree with that. Forest should have won - on possession - but it's what you do with that possession that counts. Forest's much-vaunted strike force was probably one of the least effective seen at Bescot, this season. How many on-target shots did Ince have to save? I'm struggling to remember any! Much of the credit for that must go to the back four, of course. The three young Scousers and the plastic Taff are currently in fine form.

Regarding DD, a mountain has been made out of a molehill. There was no collective moaning from the Text999OAP stand - just the occasional individual - and that happens in ALL of the stands. DD turned round to exhort the fans to make more noise - that's all. When he finally put Sonko out of his (and our) misery by substituting him, Mr. Sunshine received generous applause (which his performance scarcely merited) from the Walsall fans, particularly from the Old Codgers' Stand. DD nodded his approval at this, as I think he was expecting Eddie to get some "stick".

The Gerrard incident occurred right at the end of the first half. Sonko's nightmare performance had clearly p****d off Gerrard and he gave Sonko a real mouthful, telling him what he thought of his contribution to the team play. Not surprisingly, this upset Sonko and an argument ensued. Now call me a coward, if you like, but, of all the Walsall players, Gerrard would be one of the last I would start an argument with! Fortunately, Mooney stepped in and grabbed the pair of them and dragged them away, down the tunnel. I would have loved to have been a "fly on the wall" in our dressing-room, at half-time! :D

BTH texted me after the game and said that he was certain that Forest should have been awarded a penalty, for handball, near the end. He may have been right, but from my angle (and, presumably, the referee's), it looked like handball by a Forest player. In any event, Forest would have missed the penalty if it had been typical of the rest of their finishing! :lol: To counter BTH's claim, I saw nothing wrong with Ricketts's disallowed "goal". That said, I thought that the referee was excellent, tonight. Certainly the best that we have had, this season.

Back to reality on Saturday - Gresty Road - NOT one of my favourite grounds!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:07 am

Young_Tong wrote:Who's digging?

I of course know the power of metaphor through education and a good grasp of the English language to boot.

Let's calm down now before someone gets offended or emotional.

Not you mate, exile, you aint done anything wrong pal. sorry if it came accross as being you.

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:09 am

Ego Sum Ego Existo wrote:

I of course know the power of metaphor through education and a good grasp of the English language to boot.

Not you mate, exile, you aint done anything wrong pal. sorry if it came accross as being you.

Phew

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:10 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Its too late, hes been shown up :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be honest Gaz I really cant be bothered, you show your jealousy for some reason no idea why?

You still got a chip on your shoulder about this 182 business? Not very funny at all.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:12 am

Can't see what I've done wrong. I'm not the one with vocab issues. It'll be funny when you read this thread sober and look some things up. I expect a tumultuous apology. :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 am

Exile wrote:Can't see what I've done wrong. I'm not the one with vocab issues. It'll be funny when you read this thread sober and look some things up. I expect a tumultuous apology. :D

No, fully sober. I have just had enough of stupid petty immature jibes by people.

Bring back Timothy Claypole.

larryhaggler

Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:22 am

Agree with most of that Leamore. I'm very suprised about people lording Dann tonight, I though he was awful 1st Half, lost his marker twice and fortunatley they left their scoring boots at home, we should have been 0-3 down. Gerrard was fantastic tonight and we did battle well 2nd half. Special mention to MR wh I thought was tremendous all game, nothing wrong with his 2nd strike either ? I'm still yet to see a decent performance from Sonko, to me he's getting worse. All in all magic win, and Forest will get promoted.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:19 am

I think people are getting carried away with our performance because we were largely ineffective going forward until we hit them on the break and got a goal. What we can say though, is that we have a defence who have become a real unit and showed that they are willing to do anything for the cause.
Weston, as someone has already said, had his best game in a Walsall shirt. You won't see many better performances from a fullback at this level. Fox and Gerrard were both as they have been for weeks now - consistently solid. Dann was generally alright but as mentioned, lost his man at least twice in the first half alone which is a slight concern. I hope they'll get the opportunity to watch the video of the game because that's probably the best way the likes of Dann will learn.

The midfield was pretty weak, unsurprisingly given that they had an extra man in there and used him very well. Clingan simplay ran the game and for me was the best player on the pitch, particularly in the first half where he took advantage of the space we allowed him and played his preferred pass every time. We came out with a bit of fire in our bellies in the second half and went some way to stopping him from playing, which worked a treat.

Ricketts showed why we signed him with his goal. He played about as well as I think we can expect him to. Frustrating at times, but has the ability to score goals which no-one else in the squad has. The sheer power of that shot could probably not have been matched by any other player in our league, let alone in our team. Mooney just didn't seem to have his shooting boots on, which was a shame given the way he created a couple of decent shooting chances for himself.

I sense that despite the fact that we've now lost just one match in 13 (I think that's right), tonight was the start of something big. I think it potentially changes our mentality from that of a side who want to compete in the middle area of the league to that of a side who believe they can make a serious bid for the playoffs. I don't want to get carried away, obviously, but with players to come back into the already confident squad, things can surely continue.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:40 am

Bitter Tree Hugger wrote:
cancol wrote::) Let's be honest don't you feel sorry for all those that couldn't go and witness the best home performance so far this season
Honestly and I ain't taking the michael - was that really your best so far :shock:
You've got no right to "take the Michael" BTH...Forest are no better than anyone else in this league....you lost to a team that were very average....what does that say about your team?...forest fans are like wolves fans....you think you have a devine right to win every game.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:29 am

sid swifty wrote:
cancol wrote::) Let's be honest don't you feel sorry for all those that couldn't go and witness the best home performance so far this season
Honestly and I ain't taking the michael - was that really your best so far :shock:
You've got no right to "take the Michael" BTH...Forest are no better than anyone else in this league....you lost to a team that were very average....what does that say about your team?...forest fans are like wolves fans....you think you have a devine right to win every game.

Don't think he's suggesting that, Sid.

I don't think it was our best performance either. We won the game, played well at the back - but we've played better.

It's a results business, and we got what we needed.

Great result.

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:57 am

sid swifty wrote:
You have to learn to chill out dude, I was merely wondering if that was your best home performance as I wasn't overly impressed. If I had of been then I would stated as such.

Where in my posts, and don't generalise because you answered directly to me, do I state anywhere that we have a divine right to do owt...

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:55 am

Exile wrote:Can't see what I've done wrong. I'm not the one with vocab issues. It'll be funny when you read this thread sober and look some things up. I expect a tumultuous apology. :D

No, fully sober. I have just had enough of stupid petty immature jibes by people.

Bring back Timothy Claypole.

It was only a micturate-take aimed at your incorrect choice of a word! You want to lighten up!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:02 am

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:12 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Its too late, hes been shown up :lol: :lol: :lol:

To be honest Gaz I really cant be bothered, you show your jealousy for some reason no idea why?

You still got a chip on your shoulder about this 182 business? Not very funny at all.

Merely a pisstake for a pisstake dear boy. Really though Daz, what have I got to be jealous about, really? Im pretty sure im not jealous about your inability to know when one is merely "having one's urine extracted"

Chill out Rhodes, im sure the hair dye will grow out soon (that's another pisstake by the way, just so you doe go crying off)

xxx

saddlers supa mop

Location: Living upto mods expectations and keeping this site friendly for all age users :D

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:26 am

Mooney summed up the performance by the whole team right at the end with the sliding tackle when Forest were trying to get the ball forward. After making the tackle; jumping with both fists in the air showed the passion that the team had, and how well they work for each other. All i can say is keep up the good work lads.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:33 am

Good report Neil.
Regarding the disallowed Ricketts goal, the ref was definitely making an "elbow" gesture following a similar gesture from the lino, whose flag was pointing not straight up (as in flagging for offside) but in the direction of the M6. Either way I think he was wrong, mind.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:58 am

sid swifty wrote:
You have to learn to chill out dude, I was merely wondering if that was your best home performance as I wasn't overly impressed. If I had of been then I would stated as such.

Where in my posts, and don't generalise because you answered directly to me, do I state anywhere that we have a divine right to do owt...
Sorry if I got your post wrong BTH....but to me you seemed to be saying "How did we....the one and only Nottingham forest...manage to lose to that shower".

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:07 am

'The voodoo hoodoo what you don't dare do people'

Well done team, good solid result. Defence looking mean now. Onwards to Crewe. :D

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 am

Fantastic result against in my opinion the best side we have played in the league so far.

They passed the ball well and moved it quickly and their touch and control was good. We under great pressure in the first half but the workrate, closing down and defending as a unit was good. They were also lucky as they missed a few chances in the first half but personally I think we earned that luck.

Second half we were on top and had a go at them and played much better football because we took the game to them. We're developing the qualities we had last year but against better sides, difficult to break down and capable of snatching the odd goal (or two as it was) on the break.

Momentum and confidence is building, it doesn't surprise me, it's a Dicky Dosh team after all and I will look forward to collecting my money rom Cueball, pity no-one had the confidence to take the bigger money bet. :P I'll offer the chance for Cueball to save face by doubling the bet if we get into the play offs or he doesn't have to pay if we don't. ;)

Believe.

PT
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:21 am

Great result, great night - last 5 minutes the old(ish) place was rocking as well.

Some huge performances at the back.

Only pity fo me is that less than 5,000 Walsall fans saw it. The missing fans loss I suppose, but I'd hope we'd be nearly full for Leeds.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:43 am

booster cogburn wrote:Good report Neil.
Regarding the disallowed Ricketts goal, the ref was definitely making an "elbow" gesture following a similar gesture from the lino, whose flag was pointing not straight up (as in flagging for offside) but in the direction of the M6. Either way I think he was wrong, mind.

It is good to have your reports back on the front page I always enjoy them, but I agree with Booster that the report is wrong about the reasons for disallowing Ricketts's late goal. Both referee and linesman clearly signalled that they thought Ricketts had fouled, and the referee did not signal an indirect free kick for the restart, which he would have done if it had been for offside.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:44 am

PT wrote:The missing fans loss I suppose, but I'd hope we'd be nearly full for Leeds.

Yep, full of Leeds fans.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:15 am

Bernie wrote:
booster cogburn wrote:Good report Neil.

It is good to have your reports back on the front page I always enjoy them, but I agree with Booster that the report is wrong about the reasons for disallowing Ricketts's late goal. Both referee and linesman clearly signalled that they thought Ricketts had fouled, and the referee did not signal an indirect free kick for the restart, which he would have done if it had been for offside.

Agree re: reports. Listening to the game on SadWorld, it was clear Mick & Co (in between visits to the Baggies) also thought the flag was for a foul, not an offside.

dinkydotsaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:17 am

tape66 wrote:Great game today, the 2nd half performance was our best so far this season. Back four were solid and Clayton did not put a foot wrong.

Special mention has to go to the moaning prats in the TextOAP stand, please do us all a favour and stay away in future, your "support" is not wanted or welcome.

People like you really, really annoy me. Firstly, we need all the supporters' we can get and as long as they are true supporters and not yobs then the more the merrier, secondly who do you think you are saying other fans are not entitled to their opinion. Just cos it's different from yours does not make it wrong. No I am not one of the people concerned I was in the F2G and I wasn't moaning, however, it is not just one person and therefore there is probably something in what is being said. Whether I agree or not is irrelevant. You must be very arrogant to feel in some way qualified to decide who is welcome at Walsall and who is not. You wonder why our crowds are low with idiots like you spouting off.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:21 am

dinkydotsaddler wrote:
tape66 wrote:Great game today, the 2nd half performance was our best so far this season. Back four were solid and Clayton did not put a foot wrong.

Special mention has to go to the moaning prats in the TextOAP stand, please do us all a favour and stay away in future, your "support" is not wanted or welcome.

People like you really, really annoy me. Firstly, we need all the supporters' we can get and as long as they are true supporters and not yobs then the more the merrier, secondly who do you think you are saying other fans are not entitled to their opinion. Just cos it's different from yours does not make it wrong. No I am not one of the people concerned I was in the F2G and I wasn't moaning, however, it is not just one person and therefore there is probably something in what is being said. Whether I agree or not is irrelevant. You must be very arrogant to feel in some way qualified to decide who is welcome at Walsall and who is not. You wonder why our crowds are low with idiots like you spouting off.

I think you should look up the term I've highlighted before "shouting your mouth off". True supporters get behind the team and encourage them. Just because someone has been going a long time, since the 1800's doesn't make them even more of a fan. I sat in that stand for a while and all you hear is miserable git constantly negative and not SUPPORTING the team.

That is not a true supporter and if they take offence, tough.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:29 am

dinkydotsaddler wrote:People like you really, really annoy me. Firstly, we need all the supporters' we can get and as long as they are true supporters and not yobs then the more the merrier

Reading his posts on here, tape66 always struck me as being a true supporter.

dinkydotsaddler wrote:secondly who do you think you are saying other fans are not entitled to their opinion.

The only one saying other fans shouldn't have an opinion is you. It is tape66's opinion is that some fans in the txt stand have riled DD with their moaning and they should either put up or shut up. If everyone is entitled to their own opinion - then why isn't he entitled to that one?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:35 am

Stop moaning and get behind the lads.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:44 am

WFC_Rob wrote:The midfield was pretty weak, unsurprisingly given that they had an extra man in there and used him very well. Clingan simplay ran the game and for me was the best player on the pitch, particularly in the first half where he took advantage of the space we allowed him and played his preferred pass every time. We came out with a bit of fire in our bellies in the second half and went some way to stopping him from playing, which worked a treat.

I have to say that during the game I thought the same as you. Individually and collectively I thought all of our midfielders were weak again (and Sonko looked like a six-year-old dropped onto the pitch without a clue what to do). I've been a massive critic of some of their displays since Dobson's been out (and I've been to all of those games home and away), but thinking about it on the way back home and this morning - they must be doing something right!! We're hardly conceding goals at all and that's not really because Ince is performing wonders (even allowing for his Player of the Month award).

Ok, so the defence is playing really well, but that can't account for it entirely. As I say, looking at each game in isolation I'd say the midfield had been rubbish and, to a degree, we'd got lucky. But you can't be consistently lucky like that over the course of seven or eight games. I can't put my finger on what it is that they're doing in there, but whatever it is, it's working very well at the moment.

I still think the return of Dobson will see us step up another level though - back to Huddersfield-type performances on a regular basis I hope...

WFC_Rob wrote:I sense that despite the fact that we've now lost just one match in 13 (I think that's right), tonight was the start of something big. I think it potentially changes our mentality from that of a side who want to compete in the middle area of the league to that of a side who believe they can make a serious bid for the playoffs. I don't want to get carried away, obviously, but with players to come back into the already confident squad, things can surely continue.

I've been thinking this pretty much since the end of the Brighton game (the extended huddle in particular). This is a very young team with an incredible togetherness and desire to pull together for one another, blended with a fantastic, experienced leader in Mooney, an international striker to help us grab 1-0 wins in tight games and, hopefully, a real grafter in midfield to come back and hold everything together. We've got nothing to fear from any team in this division (except possibly Leeds) and there really is no reason why this group of players can't take us to great places (although I still think promotion is more realistic next season when they have a bit more experience).

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:56 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:I still think the return of Dobson will see us step up another level though - back to Huddersfield-type performances on a regular basis I hope..

Will it balls. Unless we get another Mattis and have to be forced to play a 3-5-2. Huddersfield were awful which is why we beat them by the scoreline we did. If Forest had have been as awful we could have beaten them 3 or 4, not just 2-0. ;)

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:03 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:I still think the return of Dobson will see us step up another level though - back to Huddersfield-type performances on a regular basis I hope..

Will it balls. Unless we get another Mattis and have to be forced to play a 3-5-2. Huddersfield were awful which is why we beat them by the scoreline we did. If Forest had have been as awful we could have beaten them 3 or 4, not just 2-0. ;)

Short-lived hope then! :cry: :wink:

It wasn't just the scoreline against Huddersfield that impressed me. I'd prefer Mattis to Dobson to be honest, but I was thinking of players we actually have at the moment. As I say, though, the four in there at the moment must be doing something right, even if I don't know what it actually is! Maybe sticking with something that is working may actually be the best plan after all...

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season