Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves vs Sutton Coldfield - Birmingham Senior Cup 19/11

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Reserves vs Sutton Coldfield - Birmingham Senior Cup 19/11

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:53 pm

Anyone going? Anyone care to report back asap with a match report? Anyone bovvered?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:11 pm

Am I bovvered? Bovvered, am I? Well, yes, I am, actually. I am going and I will post a report, late on, tonight. It promises to be a good game as Sutton are "on a roll", so to speak, at present and their last two matches have seen them win against the two local cup success teams, Rushall Olympic and Chasetown. I hope that we put out a reasonably strong team.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:39 pm

It's too good a night on the telly, so I aye goin.

Rather watch the soaps than sit with the old soaks :wink:

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:00 pm

According to Sutton's site we won 3 - 2 with all the goals scored in the second half. No mention of who are scorers were but it is described as a professional performance with our extra fitness and pace telling in the second period.

Await Leamore's report with the missing details; :)

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:50 pm

Birmingham Senior Cup - Round Two

Sutton Coldfield Town 2 3 Walsall
(played at Coles Lane, Sutton Coldfield)

Attendance:- 101 (allegedly!)

Walsall (4-4-2)

Bertrand Bossu

Peter Doran
Mannie Smith
Ian Roper (Captain)
Netan Sansara

Junior Mawete (Darryl Westlake, 83 min.)
Charlton Davies
Richard Taundry
David McDermott

Troy Deeney
Alex Nicholls

Unused Substitutes
James Travis
Jake Woollaston
Tom Cox (gk)

Manager:- Jimmy Mullen

Goal Log:-
50 min. - 0-1 - Taundry cut in from the left to unleash an unstoppable right-foot shot, from the edge of the penalty-area, into the far corner of the net.
53 min. - 0-2 - A nicely worked move saw Deeney put the Saddlers further ahead.
55 min. - 1-2 - Sutton woke up to reduce the arrears with a Leon Doughty header at the far post, from a right-wing cross.
57 min. - 1-3 - The flurry of of four goals in seven minutes was completed with a side-foot shot from Davies.
82 min. - 2-3 - Justin Rowe got a deserved reward for his personal efforts and ensured a nervy last few minutes for the young Saddlers with a nice piece of
individual skill to elude Smith and Roper.

Comments:-
The Saddlers sent out a near full-strength reserve side, keeping back all the first choice youth team squad, ready for their big game against the youth team
of the the cheating scum from West Yorkshire, on Thursday. Sutton went into the game lying in second place in the Southern League (Midland Division) and
having won all of their previous eight games.
A goalless first half was fairly evenly balanced with Walsall having slightly more possession but the Royals looking more dangerous in front of goal.
Whatever Jimmy Mullen said, in the dressing-room, at half-time certainly did the trick as the Saddlers set about their task with a vengeance and looked
comfortably in control at 3-1 up after only 12 minutes of the second half. After Sutton pulled a goal back, near the end, they did apply a little pressure
but Walsall held out to earn a place in Round Three.
Defence:- Bossu has had some good games in the "stiffs", this season, but this was definitely not one of them! In probably his worst performance, so far, he
never looked commanding and frequently fumbled the ball. This, of course, had a "knock-on" effect on the guys in front of him. Roper and Smith were never
too sure what Bossu would do and it showed in their play, at times. Doran and Sansara were less affected and both had steady games.
Midfield:- Out wide, Junior contributed little and looks to be seeing out his contract while Diddy Dave was his usual industrious self on the left. However,
he often loses the momentum of an attack by constantly turning inside and switching the ball onto his right foot. A naturally left-footed player, in
attack, would have been useful. Davies and Taundry covered a lot of ground, in the centre, without really catching the eye - nothing wrong but nothing
outstanding.
Attack:- I feel sorry for Nicholls. He is a lad with a good attitude whom we would all like to see do well. Unfortunately, nothing appears to be going
right for him, nowadays. This was typified in the second half when he struck a superb shot which looked a goal all of the way until Sutton 'keeper, Chris
Gemmell, produced the save of the match to deny him. This is a "make or break" season for young Alex. I hope that he can recover his earlier promise.
Deeney was, well - Deeney. What you see is what you get. He lacks the finer skills and his first touch on the ball sometimes lets him down but he works his
roe out for the team and the opposing defence will always know that they have been in a game.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:01 am

Top report Leamore.

Many thanks.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:54 am

Thanks Leamore. I noticed from Sutton's site that Justin Lowe has scored a number of goals for them this season. I know they are what 4/5 leagues below us but do you think he is worth a trial or say a week's training with us to have a longer look at? Reading that back I am not sure that is even english!!

Sorry Justin Rowe !!!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:00 am

Regarding Justin Rowe, he might be worth a look but I'm not sure how old he is. Certainly, at Southern League (Midland Division) - 5 levels below League One - he is an outstanding player (I have seen him three times, this season).

Fat Controller

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:13 am

Good report Bob but I am disappointed there is no mention of the' discreet massager'. :D :D

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:15 am

Justin Rowe: age 23 , signed for sutton coldfield in 2005, previous clubs telford and hereford.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:23 am

Fat Controller wrote:Good report Bob but I am disappointed there is no mention of the' discreet massager'. :D :D

You mean the true onanist? I thought that Roy Burton had a good game, last night - unlike some of the referees endured by the first team! :twisted:

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:26 am

good win , great report as ever cheers Leamore

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:27 am

Cheers for the report Leamore. Just one question: what does "Deeney ... works his roe out for the team" mean before the swear filter gets hold of it?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:46 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:Cheers for the report Leamore. Just one question: what does "Deeney ... works his roe out for the team" mean before the swear filter gets hold of it?

Just a local colloquialism for hard work and constant effort - no swear words! :)

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:54 pm

Mick Kearns got into trouble on WM once, for saying that. :shock:

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Bossu has had some good games in the "stiffs", this season, but this was definitely not one of them! In probably his worst performance, so far, he never looked commanding and frequently fumbled the ball.

Sorry to go off track here, has anyone else noticed just how much Bossu fumbles the ball when warming up with Clayton too, its something I've noticed a lot this year, anyway just an observation

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Regarding Justin Rowe, he might be worth a look but I'm not sure how old he is. Certainly, at Southern League (Midland Division) - 5 levels below League One - he is an outstanding player (I have seen him three times, this season).

The player to watch from Sutton is Mykel Beckley. Scored goals for fun at Boldmere, now moved up a couple of leagues and is still scoring goals for fun. Is young, quick and a good finisher. Lots of league clubs have been looking at him and he went on trial with a couple in the summer. I've been telling Mick Halsall and Bill Jones about him since then but I don't think anything has been done about it. A Conference club came in for him last week but he's staying put for now.

Return to 2007-08 Season