Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (A) League 1 Saturday 24/11/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:00 pm

7 clean sheets so far this season
Last edited by YGA Saddler on Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loop
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:01 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:7 clean sheets so fart his season

:shock:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:01 pm

Full time report from WM

Ince - shakey at times.

Back four - outstanding

Wrack - superb . who said he was finished :wink:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:04 pm

loop wrote:

Whoops :lol:

Only conceeded 4 in the last 9 games 8)

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:06 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:
loop wrote:

Whoops :lol:

luv yow Kev :lol: :lol:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:11 pm

According to Franksy "Walsall fans under value Dickie Dosh"

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:13 pm

Superb result :) . Interested to hear how Sweeney played.

The Demon is fast becoming a super sub of Fairclough-like proportions :wink:

silvervanman

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:27 pm

according to the northampton site there was 671 away fans well done lads

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:30 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:According to Franksy "Walsall fans under value Dickie Dosh"

Franksy is a confirmed 'door handle'

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:40 pm

That will do nicely..Same again next week please lads!

WalsallCasual

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:43 pm

silvervanman wrote:according to the northampton site there was 671 away fans well done lads

Good following indeed. Should be twice that figure for the FA Cup fixture with a bit of luck.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Maverick wrote:

Any sentence starting with "According to Franksy" should carry a government health warning. The bloke's a red hammer.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:58 pm

Well said that Walsall fan on WM [Tony?].

pastsodull

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:03 pm

Elderly moaners in the Condoms R Safe stand......anyone care to give any names??!!

Hamstead Red

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:06 pm

Duke wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:
Duke wrote:
Chomper wrote:How are we playing, anyone know any general details?

free flowing football according to WM, Bradley as gone very close.

Do they mean us or the Dingles?!! :wink:

WM are covering the Boro - Villa game , Franksy :evil: is begging the FA to leave O'Neil alone.
They must have mentioned about 1000 times that there's a black country derby tommorow :roll:

Bilston must be playing Dudley :D

Spot on now that would be a Black country derby !, unlike that sham tomorrow , West Brom have as many Brummie fans as they do Black country and dinglehampton has and never will be in the Black country :evil:
Well done Dicky and the lads today onward and upward Mighty Reds :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:17 pm

PT wrote:
Maverick wrote:

Any sentence starting with "According to Franksy" should carry a government health warning. The bloke's a red hammer.

:lol: Nice! :lol:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Just got in,Sweeney I thought was class. 671 fans? how many does the away end hold? because there weren't many spaces.

Oh and DD waved TWICE :wink:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:16 pm

Got back a while ago now, decent performance agian today in a game where we really needed the points. 671 :shock: that end holds just over 800 and there was 20 maybe 40 spaces maximum, a really good noisy and boystrous away following. Bradley played well and indeed was the missing thing last week, wrack played really well as did the whole of the back 4. Relatively sound all through the game despite one or two scary moments. Ince played well , as did everyone, sonko and sweeney personally i thought played a more central midfielder role as aposed to beat the man and cross the ball type wingers. Fox looked brillant atacking and is fast becoming player of the season, Ishy was sensational but is only an impact player at the moment. Ricketss started well and had an early shot blasted over before fading due too a knock, mooney was there with his workrate and had one chance from n acute angle which hit the up right, before running into the crowd which a massive ooooooooo and a cheeky grin on his face.
Good day
Good win
Looking a half decent side. :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:40 pm

Great away win, we did a very professional job on Northampton who looked an "ok" side. I was worried about the giant they had up front, but our back 4 copes really well with anything they tried. I thought Sweeny was solid and seemed quite pacy too. Mooney had abetter game than last week, as did Wrack. Ricketts was quieter this week, but away from home the front 2 are usually going to get less service. The only disappointment was waiting 20 minutes for a coffee at the totally useless kiosk.... 20 minutues waiting, and this was DURING the first half. Many, many people had cold pies, no pies and poor service. I would have said 671 was about right if the stand holds 800. Hope they order in more food and staff for next week.

Terrible, cold, horrible stadium with poor seating and facilities............ but who cares, 3 points.... GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - 45 mins journey... almost the same as a home game for me now!

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:43 pm

Well from what i read, a good win with some good football. Can't believe how far Bradley has come-this was a player who didn't start the first few weeks of the season and has really took his chance.

Can't wait for next week now-earned some brownie points and can go!!!

Oh and well done DD from what i read who acknowledged the fans today. We are behind you - UTS

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:45 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Message to Aldridge Steve - keep us updated using your WAP!!! :wink:

Sorry - my hands were too cold to be bothered :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:47 pm

deanonev69 wrote:Well from what i read, a good win with some good football. Can't believe how far Bradley has come-this was a player who didn't start the first few weeks of the season and has really took his chance.

Can't wait for next week now-earned some brownie points and can go!!!

Oh and well done DD from what i read who acknowledged the fans today. We are behind you - UTS

Yeah - DD waved twice today.... maybe the whingers will stop for a bit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sack

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:48 pm

and back, good game, good performance, we always looed so in control apart from 10 about 20 before the end, a total cut above, well done lads, a top performance, and todays summing up word has to be cold.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Back from the game - and it was well worth the trip. Textbook away performance really: keep it tight to start with, gradually open out as the first half goes on, nick a goal before the break (more than deserved on today's first half show), hold on to the lead through the second half (and there were several very nervy moments) and then wrap it up on the break.

Very solid at the back against a team of giants - the Boston of League 1 really! To be honest that really suited us this week as by bypassing midfield they didn't test our shape there. Wrack and (especially) Bradley played really well in there when we had the ball - anyone who doesn't think Bradley's made a massive impact this season should just compare last week's "dynamic" attacking play to this week's. Bradley's always in motion and available for a pass. He's difficult to pick up and pulls the opposition all over the shop. It was a textbook "third man" run for his goal and then he showed fantastic energy and awareness to set up Ishmel's (decent finish from him too - definitely best kept for an impact player).

I thought we missed the target of Ricketts when he went off and Northampton got up a real head of steam from then on (although maybe they'd have done that for the last 20 minutes anyway), but his replacement did score, so that more than justifies the change. Mooney was his usual self and clearly just loves to play football. He'll probably be playing Sunday stuff for his local in ten years time! I just hope he doesn't drop off too much after Christmas. The defence was very solid again against awkward opponents (always good to see Andy Kirk subbed off, even if it was for another giant). Wingers were tidy and offered out balls all game, which is what you need away from home. I'd've liked to see both of them ask a few more questions of the full backs though. I don't think that either of them tried to go outside their man and whip in a cross until we were two up.

If only we could play like this at home...

On the support, 700ish sounds about right to me (on the basis that the capacity of that stand is 900). I was sat in the centre block and one of the seats next to me was empty as was the one immediately in front of me. People spread out to fill the available space and there were gaps between different groups of people. I'd guess they got bigger in the corner blocks too (and nobody on the front two rows in the corners).

We made an awful lot of noise though!! And Dicky waved to us twice during the game and loads at the end! :D :D :D :wink:

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:57 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:Back from the game - and it was well worth the trip. Textbook away performance really: keep it tight to start with, gradually open out as the first half goes on, nick a goal before the break (more than deserved on today's first half show), hold on to the lead through the second half (and there were several very nervy moments) and then wrap it up on the break.

Very solid at the back against a team of giants - the Boston of League 1 really! To be honest that really suited us this week as by bypassing midfield they didn't test our shape there. Wrack and (especially) Bradley played really well in there when we had the ball - anyone who doesn't think Bradley's made a massive impact this season should just compare last week's "dynamic" attacking play to this week's. Bradley's always in motion and available for a pass. He's difficult to pick up and pulls the opposition all over the shop. It was a textbook "third man" run for his goal and then he showed fantastic energy and awareness to set up Ishmel's (decent finish from him too - definitely best kept for an impact player).

I thought we missed the target of Ricketts when he went off and Northampton got up a real head of steam from then on (although maybe they'd have done that for the last 20 minutes anyway), but his replacement did score, so that more than justifies the change. Mooney was his usual self and clearly just loves to play football. He'll probably be playing Sunday stuff for his local in ten years time! I just hope he doesn't drop off too much after Christmas. The defence was very solid again against awkward opponents (always good to see Andy Kirk subbed off, even if it was for another giant). Wingers were tidy and offered out balls all game, which is what you need away from home. I'd've liked to see both of them ask a few more questions of the full backs though. I don't think that either of them tried to go outside their man and whip in a cross until we were two up.

If only we could play like this at home...

On the support, 700ish sounds about right to me (on the basis that the capacity of that stand is 900). I was sat in the centre block and one of the seats next to me was empty as was the one immediately in front of me. People spread out to fill the available space and there were gaps between different groups of people. I'd guess they got bigger in the corner blocks too (and nobody on the front two rows in the corners).

We made an awful lot of noise though!! And Dicky waved to us [b]twice during the game and loads at the end! :D :D :D :wink:
[/b]

Got to replicate that then next week when there will be more of us

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:16 pm

Kiansmom wrote:Just got in,Sweeney I thought was class. 671 fans? how many does the away end hold? because there weren't many spaces.

Oh and DD waved TWICE :wink:

:shock: 3 points , clean sheet and 2 waves where will it all end. :D

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:21 pm

Ince - one shakey moment. Apart from that collected everything and distributed well 6/10

Weston - Best i've seen him for us. Rock solid read the game well 8/10
Fox - Another dependable performance. Fantastic 7/10
Gerrard - Used the ball better than he had in recent weeks 7/10
Dann - His ability to "play" football is becoming key to our style of play 8/10

Sonko -In and out the game but did plenty defensivly - improving 6/10
Sweeney - Never really got in to it. Ineffective and off pace - 5/10
Wracky - Played anchor role to perfection. Some defence splitting balls 8/10
Bradley - Here, there and everywhere 8/10

Mooney - Worked away well. Set up our attacking play niceley 7/10
Ricketts - Created chances, missed two sitters but was a threat 6/10

Subs

Ishy - Direct, dangerous and helped stretch the game 7/10
Hall - No time

Dickie Dosh - Got it spot on with the changes. While ineffective, Sweeney Sured up the Left flank more than Hall or Ishy would of. I thought ishy might have made up a 5 man midfield and we'd have defended deep with 20 minutes to go, but no we pushed on for the 2nd.

Northampton look a typical mid table side. They can play some football. Good attacking football. Hubertz was a handful. The bald lad they had midfield kind of played us on his own can't remember his name. Branston is useless - still. Why so many clubs sign him i'll never know.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:33 pm

Burnside wrote:Branston is useless - still. Why so many clubs sign him i'll never know.

Because he's big and strong and knows how to foul without getting caught. Every other game he plays against a striker who's the same. Those weeks he's effective, the other weeks he's rubbish. We never have big, awkward strikers, so Branston always looks rubbsih against us (as he did again today).

Why do they bother with grass at Northampton by the way? They never show up to play us with any players under 6 foot (I think today was the first time I'd ever seen a team whose keeper was their smallest player!!) or any intention of playing the ball on the ground. If they ploughed up the grass then it'd only disadvantage the opposition.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Burnside wrote:Branston is useless - still. Why so many clubs sign him i'll never know.

Because he's big and strong and knows how to foul without getting caught. Every other game he plays against a striker who's the same. Those weeks he's effective, the other weeks he's rubbish. We never have big, awkward strikers, so Branston always looks rubbsih against us (as he did again today).

Why do they bother with grass at Northampton by the way? They never show up to play us with any players under 6 foot (I think today was the first time I'd ever seen a team whose keeper was their smallest player!!) or any intention of playing the ball on the ground. If they ploughed up the grass then it'd only disadvantage the opposition.

Maybe their left back was so tiny that you just couldn't see him!

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:59 pm

My first away match of the season. A good result against a persistent, if some-what limited, Northampton side. I have a feeling that Northampton have a few players that can actually play, but instead insisted on playing long balls at every opportunity.

The whole team performed admirably. Ince was his usual solid self, with the odd will he / won't he moment thrown in for good measure. The back for were immense. A few balls lost in the air (which against Kirk et al. is no disgrace), but surely Dann won't be at the club much longer. And if current form continues, you can probably add Fox and Gerrard to that too. Even Weston looked good today, adding defensive solidity to his attacking promise.

Bradley was certainly the difference between an average-looking midfield last week, and a free-flowing, quick-passing unit this. His movement and positioning are fantastic. He's not the quickest in terms of raw pace, but his speed of thought and decision-making mean he's already looking an above-average League 1 player after only 10 or so games, and I have a feeling he will only continue to improve. Wrack looked good in the 'holding' role, playing it simple when needed but also able to carry the ball forward too. If I were being critical, his main weakness is his inability to tackle - which is obviously a psychological side-effect of his injury. The two wide players were solid, if not spectacular. Sonko was always available as an outlet, while Sweeney looks like a real Dosh-like wide midfielder - someone who is comfortable in possession and able to contribute in the final third, whilst also very aware of their defensive duties.

The front two did what was expected of them. Mooney's Mooney - he chases, he harries, he basically ensures the defence don't rest a moment all afternoon. And while he's not always in the position you'd like your centre forward to be, his selfless work for the team means the errors he invarably forces create chances for other players. I must also say how impressed i've been by Ricketts - he's a lot more mobile than I was expecting for a start!! Add to that this his movement and his interplay with other members of the team, and it's looking good. My only slight concern at the moment is his seeming inability to hit the target from promising positions, but i'm sure if he keeps finding thses positions, the goals will come.

All-in-all, a good display with plenty of positives to take on board.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season