Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves last night

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
retired

Reserves last night

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:10 am

Just read the report on the website Looks like we made a great comaback

Would like to read other peoples views on the match . Richard Taundry played midfield WHY he plays best at the back..The youngsters did really well . If Mr Bonsor or Mr Money bother to read this they should give Mick Halsall a testimonal he has served this club brilliantly and it would be great to see him appreciated.

Maybe we could have Mark Kinsella back as reserve coach some one who know the club and the lads and can inspire.

Why change players position it did not work when they tried deeny in midfield and it did not work last night thats why they were down. perhaps Jimmy needs time to get to know the players it must be hard coming in from a club and not not knowing the players. maybe he shloud try and emulate Man Unt and get to know all his squad from the top to the bottom

Lets hope 1st team can keep up the scores and for Christmas we do not need to buy Mr Money a bigger tedddy to throw out of his pram.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:29 am

Richard Taundry playing in midfield is interesting . with Dobson out for 6 weeks , Bradley missing this saturday ,and with still no sign of Boertiens return so Fox can play in a midfield role , looks like DD is looking at other midfield options .

nice to hear that my mate Ropes scored last night :wink:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:41 am

We always try players in different positions in the reserves. That's what they're for - trying things out to see how they'd work in the first team. We're a bit short in midfield at the moment, so giving Taundry and Deeney a run there to see how it works seems fine to me. In any case, someone who's played a bit with Taundry suggested on here the other week that he often played there as a kid and might be able to do a job for us.

If we tried it and it didn't work then we've learned a valuable lesson without being exposed by it in a first team game. I don't see the problem at all...

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Re: Reserves last night

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:35 pm

retired wrote:Just read the report on the website Looks like we made a great comaback

Would like to read other peoples views on the match . Richard Taundry played midfield WHY he plays best at the back..The youngsters did really well . If Mr Bonsor or Mr Money bother to read this they should give Mick Halsall a testimonal he has served this club brilliantly and it would be great to see him appreciated.

Maybe we could have Mark Kinsella back as reserve coach some one who know the club and the lads and can inspire.

Why change players position it did not work when they tried deeny in midfield and it did not work last night thats why they were down. perhaps Jimmy needs time to get to know the players it must be hard coming in from a club and not not knowing the players. maybe he shloud try and emulate Man Unt and get to know all his squad from the top to the bottom

Lets hope 1st team can keep up the scores and for Christmas we do not need to buy Mr Money a bigger tedddy to throw out of his pram.

No need for that whatsoever, you could just lend him yours.

Clearly the club is being managed pretty well from top to bottom judging by the way we have performed on the pitch at all levels this season, and the fact that a major part of this success has involved the development of young talent by the club's management and coaching staff.

A major part of that management process has been the weeding out of anyone who isn't 100% committed to Walsall FC, including those who think they are worth more money or opportunity without knuckling down and earning it first. :wink:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:44 pm

retired, you're getting very boring now. Greedy McKeown left yonks ago, last seen trying to impress at some minor non-league club. He'll be working in McDonalds within 12 months.

On the other hand, those players who have changed position in the reserves (Demontagnac and Deeney) were both involved as we comfortably booked our place in round two of the cup. How good it is to have someone who knows what they're doing in charge of the first team. It's excellent for the future of the club and excellent for those who want to improve as players rather than improve their bank balance.

retired

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:30 pm

agree with UTS Yhe club is run tightly by Mr Bonsor and as I have already said LETS HOPE WE GO ONWARDS AND UPWARDS. We are all Walsall supporters with our own views some right some wrong but that is what makes this site. We all have our own opinions and it is good to be able to voice them without causing fighting amongst ourselves.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm

Its the people with chips on their shoulders that usually cause the infighting.

As for "let's hope we go onwards an upwards", I would add the word "continue" between words 3 and 4, as that would add some perspective and context to the here and now from where we hope to progress. Correct me if I'm wrong but havn't we just won the championship of the division below? And after a third of the season at the higher level havn't we got ourselves into the top half of the table and the second round of the cup courtesy of a run of 1 defeat in 10 matches??

I couldn't give a stuff if whoever in charge chooses to play rush-back goalie in the reserves so long as it underpins the type of success we've seen in the last season and a third. And as for individual young players, Ishy, Dann, Bradley, Deeney, McDermott, Smith, and I would add Gerrard and Fox, are all better players than they were 12 months ago, and all have contributed to the collective success of the first team.

Therefore, how anyone can come on here and choose to nit-pick over positional selection in a reseve match is staggering, and of course in this case indicative of a well documented shoulder chip, no matter how much you try and muddy it with the usual "we all want success but have different opinions" tripe.

retired

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:16 pm

No chips on my shoulders

Hope you met your goat it could be nice to have a friend

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Friend?? Goats are for snacking.

I'll get one once I've spat your pips out. :D

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:09 pm

Duke wrote:Richard Taundry playing in midfield is interesting . with Dobson out for 6 weeks , Bradley missing this saturday ,and with still no sign of Boertiens return so Fox can play in a midfield role , looks like DD is looking at other midfield options .

nice to hear that my mate Ropes scored last night :wink:

And presumably central to the awful defensive showing in the first half? :wink:

oldted

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:15 pm

taundry was tried in midfield with a view to saturdays game. basically it didn t work we were 3-0 down at half time . taundry is not a midfield player he can tackle and runs a lot but his distribrution of the ball is woeful, and we need some creativity in midfield the same can be said of troy again tries hard but no real quality.when the team was switched at half time with taundry back at right back and davies in midfield the team looked much more balanced and played some good football, and started to give leicester a decent game . They were unlucky not to get a draw. I would agree that jimmy mullen does not for me seen to be the right person to over see our young players in the youth and resers team . he does not know the players and does not seem to know where they play.from what i have seen he does not seem to know that walsall like to play passing football , and thinks that a good pass is a 60 yard lump up the field .! bring back kinsella someone the young players can look up to and respect.!

Joe90
Glitterati

Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:18 pm

moanin old git wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:Its the people with chips on their shoulders that usually cause the infighting.

As for "let's hope we go onwards an upwards", I would add the word "continue" between words 3 and 4, as that would add some perspective and context to the here and now from where we hope to progress. Correct me if I'm wrong but havn't we just won the championship of the division below? And after a third of the season at the higher level havn't we got ourselves into the top half of the table and the second round of the cup courtesy of a run of 1 defeat in 10 matches??

I couldn't give a stuff if whoever in charge chooses to play rush-back goalie in the reserves so long as it underpins the type of success we've seen in the last season and a third. And as for individual young players, Ishy, Dann, Bradley, Deeney, McDermott, Smith, and I would add Gerrard and Fox, are all better players than they were 12 months ago, and all have contributed to the collective success of the first team.

Therefore, how anyone can come on here and choose to nit-pick over positional selection in a reseve match is staggering, and of course in this case indicative of a well documented shoulder chip, no matter how much you try and muddy it with the usual "we all want success but have different opinions" tripe.

We should all be fighting the common enemy!
The Judean Peoples Front?
No No the Dingles......

Stop this infighting children, that's what the UTS is all about. Every member has the right to his own opinion.
8)

Splitters :wink:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:10 am

oldted wrote:taundry was tried in midfield with a view to saturdays game. basically it didn t work we were 3-0 down at half time . taundry is not a midfield player he can tackle and runs a lot but his distribrution of the ball is woeful, and we need some creativity in midfield the same can be said of troy again tries hard but no real quality.when the team was switched at half time with taundry back at right back and davies in midfield the team looked much more balanced and played some good football, and started to give leicester a decent game . They were unlucky not to get a draw. I would agree that jimmy mullen does not for me seen to be the right person to over see our young players in the youth and resers team . he does not know the players and does not seem to know where they play.from what i have seen he does not seem to know that walsall like to play passing football , and thinks that a good pass is a 60 yard lump up the field .! bring back kinsella someone the young players can look up to and respect.!

Fine, so we lost a reserve game instead of trying Taundry there on Saturday and being 3-0 down at half time in a game that people actually care about! As far as I'm concerned, that probably makes Monday night's reserve game one of the most successful of the season.

As for Mullen, he's only been at the club 5 minutes, so of course he doesn't know the players that well. I imagine that'll come with time, but having him manage the reserves frees up DD to work on the first team and look for the midfielder we need. I've no idea about Mullen's preferred style of play, but I imagine he gets the players to play the style DD asks him too rather than just makes his own mind up independently of the requirements of the first team!! Kinsella is reserve team manager at Charlton. It's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that he'd leave them to come and do a similar job here... :roll:

Return to 2007-08 Season