Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Luton Town (H) League 1 Saturday 17/11/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:54 pm

Just back from the game (been years since I've been able to say that) and it seemed obvious that 2 makeshift centre-midfielders were going to have a torrid time against 3 regular centre-midfielders. It would have been a completely different game if we had had one or two more regular c-ms.

Need to get in a loaner and possibly a permanent signing in January.

And the referee was a joke. Both sides saw some ridiculous decisions both for and against them. The 2 managers seemed to laugh with each other about some of the ludicrous decisions.

Stan P

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:07 pm

fair result two poor teams today but the ref today was pants

sj
Site Addict

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:10 pm

I thought Walsall played well against a good team, a team that will be near the top at the end of the season.

Why do people forget that we are playing against another team? And sometimes teams that are better than us? Football is much more complex than many think.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:24 pm

No doubt in my mind with our usual midfield we would have won comfortably
Our best chance of winning disappeared when Ishmel went off , I can only assume he was carrying a knock he worried the Luton defence every time he had the ball , only problem was we did'nt use him enough.
If Luton finish top 10 i'll eat my hat , its easy to see why their away record is so poor . they were awful .
the sponsors got the motm award spot on Gerrard was outstanding.

As for that excuse of a ref the less said the better , he was a bloody joke,

SWS1

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:38 pm

Yes, we need a midfielder.
I don't suppose he would have wanted to come to us but Darren Way has just gone to Yeovil on loan from Swansea. He is a very decent midfield player at this level. He has a big heart and would have done a great job for us.
There must be someone out there who can give us a hand.
Any names, anyone?

loop
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:53 pm

Thought we played ok today, Luton came to spoil our game and they did, i didn't think we were strong enough in midfield but with the players we have got out i was pleased enough with the point.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:11 pm

A frustrating match - the ball did not drop for us, the referee was well-below par and we were (unsurprisingly) weak in midfield.

Very much like watching us when we were a division 4 side under Nichol I thought - and the opposition were equally frustraiting.

Cold afternoon too.

But each point counts and so we are one point closer to a safe future in League one

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:27 pm

Match report on front page.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Dull, Ref was crud - nuff said.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:52 pm

sj wrote:I thought Walsall played well against a good team, a team that will be near the top at the end of the season.

Sorry, but I disagree strongly with that comment. We played no better than average against an average league one side. It's all very well people saying we missed certian people through injury, but they were in the same boat and had players missing who probably cause more of a loss to them than ours do to us.

We've had time to bring players in having realised that we'd be without Dobson and Bradley for this game. If we haven't been able to sign anyone better than what we've got, that's fine. It's a little frustrating though because that little extra quality could well have seen us pick up 2 more points today.

On a positive note, we could have completely lost the plot and lost the game. At least we're difficult to beat.

Greg WP

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:54 pm

Our stewards were well up for it today weren't they? Why were those two metro men ejected?

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:56 pm

Thought it was a very entertaining first half (despite the referee's attempts to spoil it), second half we deteriorated in central midfield - understandably so, Wrack and Sonko did their best but they're not exactly a fearsome duo to have in the middle of the park. Luton just weren't good enough to score, but it looked like the only way we would score would be from a moment of magic from Mooney or Ishmel, we weren't capable of building up anything particularly decent.

But what about that Sonko shot in the first half? Unbelievable the way he caught it, quite magnificent.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:30 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Thought it was a very entertaining first half (despite the referee's attempts to spoil it), second half we deteriorated in central midfield - understandably so, Wrack and Sonko did their best but they're not exactly a fearsome duo to have in the middle of the park. Luton just weren't good enough to score, but it looked like the only way we would score would be from a moment of magic from Mooney or Ishmel, we weren't capable of building up anything particularly decent.

But what about that Sonko shot in the first half? Unbelievable the way he caught it, quite magnificent

Was a beautiful shot - got to agree with that.

Mooney one-on-one in the second half was also a good shot and a great save.

As I defrost I see it was not all bad :P

Glitterati

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:35 pm

Greg WP wrote:Our stewards were well up for it today weren't they? Why were those two metro men ejected?

Two Luton fans were chucked out from the Lower FTG - idea what they were doing in there.

Thought the fans were great today, seemed alot more singing than usual 8)

Greg WP

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:37 pm

1933 wrote:
Greg WP wrote:Our stewards were well up for it today weren't they? Why were those two metro men ejected?

Two Luton fans were chucked out from the Lower FTG - idea what they were doing in there.

Yes 1933 our fans were good today. You deserve a prize for having the bottle to mention it :wink:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:45 pm

Today was the reason we wont make the play offs

I agree we had no luck today

the ball wouldn't drop

McVeigh was lively

Thought mooney was to his usual standards

One thing i could say in lutons favour

they were hard to break down

they were the same as southend

except not as good going forward

we missed dobbo incredible today

and mobility from bradley

2 points dropped in my opinon

gez was good

as was ishy

ricketts popped in and out

if luton can get furlong back fit

and maybe win a few away

playoffs might be half decent

mind you

its weird i did think they were awful today

but hard to break down

attendance not bad

:(

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:05 pm

Very poetic, Sadders. :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:44 am

Exile wrote:Very poetic, Sadders. :D

It dow rhyme.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:01 am

Best thing about yesterdays game.....................

Welcome to the monkey house :D :D :D :D

Top work Mikey66 :D

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:23 am

Glad to get out of it with a point, now lets get some bodies in and Bradley back and push on, at least we are hard to beat now, which was not the case early on in the season.

As said elsewhere, quite what planet the ref and lino were on I'm not sure, I have never knew it was a free kick against you for being hauled down in a headlock (think that was Eddy) even Mr Sunshine lost his rag. I know I'm biased but how many clear decisions our way did he give to Luton? unbelievable!!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:02 pm

1933 wrote:

The two Luton fans were a couple of their known idiots (they have a few), and were refused entry to the Luton end having been spotted by their police.
They then managed to get into our end and were again spotted and subsequently ejected.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:45 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:Best thing about yesterdays game.....................

Welcome to the monkey house :D :D :D :D

Top work Mikey66 :D

I said the same on the way out of the ground... can we have it a bit earlier next time :lol:

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Stan P wrote:fair result two poor teams today but the ref today was pants

Not to mention the linesman on our side of the pitch, who seemed to put his flag up every time the ball was played forward!

I don't blame Mooney for swearing at him late on. I felt like doing the same!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:40 am

Ince made the team of the week in this mornings Sun with a rating of 7.

did he actually have a save to make ?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:45 am

Duke wrote:Ince made the team of the week in this mornings Sun with a rating of 7.

He did make a good save in the first half, Dave. Also, his catching from corners and crosses was excellent.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:46 am

Some numpty said on wm that darren wrack is something of a spentforce.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am

King Crimson wrote:
Duke wrote:Ince made the team of the week in this mornings Sun with a rating of 7.

He did make a good save in the first half, Dave. Also, his catching from corners and crosses was excellent.

his catching was good KC I agree , Can't recall the save every Luton effort went well wide as i remember ,

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:14 am

Duke wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

his catching was good KC I agree , Can't recall the save every Luton effort went well wide as i remember ,

There was one great save first half - to his left side of the goal, when their player was through and shot low and hard. Ince put himself on the ground to block the shot. Think Fox got caught out going forward, and their midfielder lofted a great ball into the channel behind Fox. I was sat right by the save (in the Family Stand for once - it was Prince Crimson's birthday bash).

Bernie
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:15 pm

King Crimson wrote:There was one great save first half - to his left side of the goal, when their player was through and shot low and hard. Ince put himself on the ground to block the shot. Think Fox got caught out going forward, and their midfielder lofted a great ball into the channel behind Fox. I was sat right by the save (in the Family Stand for once - it was Prince Crimson's birthday bash).

Ince has been brilliant again this season. He is by far the best goalkeeper we have for many years. He takes more decent crosses in the average match than little Jimmy Walker did in about ten.

Interesting point of view of the match in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... hea119.xml

Mike Newell apparently gave extended contracts to players past the pension age - Marlon Beresford still getting £200,000 a year until he is 41 :? ? There is a lot to be said for Richard Money's transfer dealings in comparison.

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Duke wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

There was one great save first half - to his left side of the goal, when their player was through and shot low and hard. Ince put himself on the ground to block the shot. Think Fox got caught out going forward, and their midfielder lofted a great ball into the channel behind Fox. I was sat right by the save (in the Family Stand for once - it was Prince Crimson's birthday bash).

The save he made was when everyone in the FTG was goading the stewards for making dancing boy sit down, and no one seemed to be watching the match, I paid attention and noted it was a smart block :)

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season