Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) F-A Cup Ist Round Saturday 10/11/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Hamstead Red

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:26 pm

MOONEY -Loves it
INCE -Quality
ISHY-Inspirational
What came inbetween was pretty poor football but we'r in round 2 so thats what matters .

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:46 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Only real negatives for me today were Weston and Wrack, Hall was OK but thats about it, Never really had to move out of 2nd gear.

I agree. Weston was all over the shop especially in the second half, constantly backing off and out of position leaving Gerrard to cover the right-back area when the Sloppies attacked.

As for Wrack, well, he couldn't tackle an empty paper bag if he tried and with Bradley missing for the Luton game next week, I feel as though we will struggle in that area of the field unless DD gets someone in.

Overall, I thought it was a decent performance, not the greatest in the world, but good enough. Ricketts took his goal well and Ishy's goal looked like a wonder strike from where I was sitting! Brilliant!

Looking ahead to the draw, I fancy Chasetown (who else???).

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:58 pm

Weston didnt have his best game, but he wasnt all that poor. Decent enough going forward.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:15 pm

An extremely tired slopshyte report is on the front page.

Am getting a bit sick now like, going next week but not to Northampton so anyone else fancy......zzzzzzzzzz.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:17 am

redsaddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Only real negatives for me today were Weston and Wrack, Hall was OK but thats about it, Never really had to move out of 2nd gear.

I agree. Weston was all over the shop especially in the second half, constantly backing off and out of position leaving Gerrard to cover the right-back area when the Sloppies attacked.

As for Wrack, well, he couldn't tackle an empty paper bag if he tried and with Bradley missing for the Luton game next week, I feel as though we will struggle in that area of the field unless DD gets someone in.

Overall, I thought it was a decent performance, not the greatest in the world, but good enough. Ricketts took his goal well and Ishy's goal looked like a wonder strike from where I was sitting! Brilliant!

Looking ahead to the draw, I fancy Chasetown (who else???).

If i had a tenner for every time Wrack pulls out of a 50/50 i could retire already

Greg WP

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:07 am

Dave Gittins wrote:I was sitting front row of the WBBS stand just by the half way line, all the noise was coming from the away end unfortunately. I suppose that's what comes of having such a high roof on the F2G stand.

Disagree I was sat there too and all the LOUD noise was from the home end. Shrews more persistent, Walsall louder.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:11 am

Greg WP wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:I was sitting front row of the WBBS stand just by the half way line, all the noise was coming from the away end unfortunately. I suppose that's what comes of having such a high roof on the F2G stand.

Disagree I was sat there too and all the LOUD noise was from the home end. Shrews more persistent, Walsall louder.

Not a chance. I sit just by our dug out. FTG was very quiet as ever, the sloppies were very noisey through most of the game

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:50 am

Good performance, but Salop were even worse than they were last season, so we can't really take heart from beating them.

Bradley looked good, so did Fox [again]. Ishy should start. Sonko had a quiet game, Westons one of the worst right backs ive seen play for us.

We still need to strengthen the midfield though.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:20 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Good performance, but Salop were even worse than they were last season, so we can't really take heart from beating them.

Bradley looked good, so did Fox [again]. Ishy should start. Sonko had a quiet game, Westons one of the worst right backs ive seen play for us.

To young to remember Dornan aren't you ? :D

Midfield is painfully weak in the middle. Bradley was my motm. Think we will struggle without him next week

sack

Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:04 pm

well i'm proud of my team, but ashamed by the embarrassing, pathetic attendance. well done to all who did actually bother, and well done to DD for not having a go at the fans when he could quite justly have done so.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:08 pm

sack wrote:well i'm proud of my team, but ashamed by the embarrassing, pathetic attendance. well done to all who did actually bother, and well done to DD for not having a go at the fans when he could quite justly have done so.

What for ?

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:12 pm

Enjoyed the game. We did what we needed to do against pretty poor fourth division opposition.

I hope we don't get lulled ino thinking that the midfield we had out yesterday was anywhere near good enough for the third division. Lightweight in the extreme and as other have said, with bradley missing next week, we have a shortage in the centre of the park. Wrack is nowhere near physical or brave enough for that role.

Listened to radio Sloppy on the way home. Their fans were quite happy as well.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:12 pm

Nothing special confortable win to me shows the gulf between league's 1 and 2.I was more dissapointed with the crowd it was a disgrace for a F.A Cup tie am i one of the old generation that thinks a cup tie is special no matter what round it is i just hope if we get to the 3rd round get a big home draw all 3,000 supporters will get a ticket before everybody gets on the band wagon

Greg WP

Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:15 pm

Atomic Rooster wrote:Nothing special confortable win to me shows the gulf between league's 1 and 2.I was more dissapointed with the crowd it was a disgrace for a F.A Cup tie am i one of the old generation that thinks a cup tie is special no matter what round it is i just hope if we get to the 3rd round get a big home draw all 3,000 supporters will get a ticket before everybody gets on the band wagon

Have you looked at the other atendances? These days even FAC3 games have lower gates than the league equivalent.

loop
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:53 pm

Boring first half, better second half, Sonko was not at the races yesterday neither was Weston.
Ishy MOM - how embarassing.
Wrack didn't have a good game either IMO.

I thought the atmosphere from the ASBO stand was excellent yesterday, considering the poor turn out.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:30 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Good performance, but Salop were even worse than they were last season, so we can't really take heart from beating them.

Midfield is painfully weak in the middle. Bradley was my motm. Think we will struggle without him next week

Personally I dont rate Bradley that much. He's 'ok' with a decent ball winner beside him, but he needs to toughen up himself and start being more proactive when we aint in possesion. It's a good oppurtunity for him to cement his place in the team, but thats only because we've had such an appalling central midfield this season.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:33 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Personally I dont rate Bradley that much. He's 'ok' with a decent ball winner beside him, but he needs to toughen up himself and start being more proactive when we aint in possesion. It's a good oppurtunity for him to cement his place in the team, but thats only because we've had such an appalling central midfield this season.

He's 19 - he'll toughen up naturally in the next couple of years so I'm not too worried about that. I don't think he looks out of his depth at this level even in comparison to most other teams' central midfielders. I wouldn't expect him to be bossing games at his age, but he's holding his own.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:50 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

We'll struggle because of the mobility he brings to the middle of the park. Incidentally, I didn't think he was that good yesterday - quietly efficient would be the way I'd describe his performance. Had a decent game, but was out performed in the man of the match stakes by Fox, Gerrard and Dann.

Money seems pretty confident that we'll have a signing on board in time for next week's game. I'd like to see us bring someone in before Thursday though (when we usually seem to sign players) because the new man will perform better with an understanding of his midfield partners' game.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:00 pm

I agree, I think I describe his performance somewhere, as a nice and simple performance. He rarely wastes the ball, and gets forward well. He also slid one or two great balls through for the forwards, which came to nothing, but he has a football brain. Fox did have a really good game

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:08 pm

What has happened to fox, he's a man possesed, i actually think he's wasted at full back now.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:17 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

He's 19 - he'll toughen up naturally in the next couple of years so I'm not too worried about that. I don't think he looks out of his depth at this level even in comparison to most other teams' central midfielders. I wouldn't expect him to be bossing games at his age, but he's holding his own.

agreed PH , Bradley will get better with experience .he most certainly doesn't look out of his depth imho.

cat3

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Good Stuff From Ricketts! I gotta admit, DD got him to perform for us, 2W and 1D, let's hope we can stick with 8W 4D in his 3 months spell in our club house. If he gets to excel, let's hope DD cuts a deal and bring him back. I think he can bring us up. Promotion is our best hope, but finishing 2nd in our league is probable. 15% chance at this rate, another class veteran footballer by Christmas for a loan spell, we are a challenger.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:37 pm

Ricketts is that quality up front we need, he has his lazy spells but when he's got the ball hes got skill beyond this level. Mooney is the ball winner, Ricketts plays off him nicely.

We just need a gritty midfielder and we will be a good team in my opinion. Bradley has suprised me how well he has become accustomed to his role. I dont think Wrack was all that poor yesterday, but its not where he should be playing.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:06 pm

latviancheese wrote:What has happened to fox, he's a man possesed, i actually think he's wasted at full back now.

Why? Are fullbacks not allowed to be good footballers? :?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:07 pm

latviancheese wrote:What has happened to fox, he's a man possesed, i actually think he's wasted at full back now.

I think thats a shame because when Boertiens back [I think he's superb] Money will move fox on to the left wing, even further reducing Ishy's chances.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:07 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Ask Rhys Weston

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:11 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

He's just more effective going forward.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:18 pm

latviancheese wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

He's just more effective going forward.

Yes, but being effective going forward as a left back if different to being effective going forward in midfield. He is very good at choosing the right runs to make at the right times. That's something which is undoubtedly more difficult as a midfielder. He's perfectly fine where he is - the cross for Rickett's goal oozed class and proved that he can make significant conributions to our attacking threat from left back.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:20 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:As for Saturday's game, they'll be looking to revive their season and I expect them to be well up for it. We should have enough to see the win through though and I think we'll win 2-0 with Ricketts and Ishmel scoring.

Oooooh, would you look at that. :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:22 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:As for Saturday's game, they'll be looking to revive their season and I expect them to be well up for it. We should have enough to see the win through though and I think we'll win 2-0 with Ricketts and Ishmel scoring.

Oooooh, would you look at that. :lol:

No one likes a smarty pants :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season