Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) F-A Cup Ist Round Saturday 10/11/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:As for Saturday's game, they'll be looking to revive their season and I expect them to be well up for it. We should have enough to see the win through though and I think we'll win 2-0 with Ricketts and Ishmel scoring.

Oooooh, would you look at that. :lol:

No one likes a smarty pants :D
:wink: :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:51 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:As for Saturday's game, they'll be looking to revive their season and I expect them to be well up for it. We should have enough to see the win through though and I think we'll win 2-0 with Ricketts and Ishmel scoring.

Oooooh, would you look at that. :lol:

Totally wrong.
:D

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Thought we did what we had to do against lower-division opposition who had a spell of pressure after the interval and could actually get the ball down and play when they wanted, but they didn't want to very often. We miss Dobson a lot - I thought Wrack did all right in the unfamiliar role (to him), but he chickens out of so many challenges it's unbelievable. Bradley continues to impress (he has an ability to find space and anticipate where the ball's going to go that suggests he has a really bright future), and Ricketts and Mooney look a potent partnership (particularly impressed with the workrate of Ricketts). Asbo's goal was a stunner; and I always find there something inherently humorous about him, so running with one arm just added to the hilarity he generates. Highlight of the afternoon was hearing an obviously-thick person on the phone after the game saying "it's that really fine rain, that gets you so wet" in the style of Peter Kay. And of course hearing Alan on WM afterwards, who is surely awaiting "legendary" status.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:01 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Highlight of the afternoon was hearing an obviously-thick person on the phone after the game saying "it's that really fine rain, that gets you so wet" in the style of Peter Kay. And of course hearing Alan on WM afterwards, who is surely awaiting "legendary" status.

Who's Alan?

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Exile wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:Highlight of the afternoon was hearing an obviously-thick person on the phone after the game saying "it's that really fine rain, that gets you so wet" in the style of Peter Kay. And of course hearing Alan on WM afterwards, who is surely awaiting "legendary" status.

Who's Alan?

I was in two minds whether to say that. :wink:

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:44 am

He's a person who has become a regular caller to WM to discuss Walsall matches. He makes Benny from Crossroads appear to have the intellectual might of Benjamin Disraeli.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:04 am

Bristol Fan wrote:He's a person who has become a regular caller to WM to discuss Walsall matches. He makes Benny from Crossroads appear to have the intellectual might of Benjamin Disraeli.

Definitely the bloke I was thinking of... :twisted:

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:14 am

Alan (the WM caller) is a joy to listen to. Much better than that 'Roger' person.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:47 am

redsaddler wrote:Alan (the WM caller) is a joy to listen to. Much better than that 'Roger' person.

Do you mean Roger/Ralph/Martin?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:52 am

Bristol Fan wrote:
redsaddler wrote:Alan (the WM caller) is a joy to listen to. Much better than that 'Roger' person.

Martin, does he still phone in. I am sure that bloke is the "hold the line, up the tempo" bloke :D

Joe90
Glitterati

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:16 pm

I thought you meant Alan Green. I was going to have a rant :oops:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:I thought you meant Alan Green. I was going to have a rant :oops:

He's not a Liverpool fan you know :roll: :D

concretehippo

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:38 pm

Great game and great atmosphere, the noisy shrews certainly played their part in getting us singing in the second half.

Greg WP

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:51 pm

concretehippo wrote:Great game and great atmosphere, the noisy shrews certainly played their part in getting us singing in the second half.

You are not allowed to imply we made any noise, not unless you dont sing yourself and sit on the half way line.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:

Martin, does he still phone in. I am sure that bloke is the "hold the line, up the tempo" bloke :D

same fella, I miss him actually as he has moved now. I'm sure he is still blaming Osborn for everything mind you.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Stu wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:

same fella, I miss him actually as he has moved now. I'm sure he is still blaming Osborn for everything mind you.

He hasn't moved on, can be heard in the lower F2G quite often

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:10 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Asbo's goal was a stunner; and I always find there something inherently humorous about him, so running with one arm just added to the hilarity he generates.

Its ok though, Pele managed to do it in escape to victory, puts Ishy in the same league as him>

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:19 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
Stu wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:

Not where he used to sit then, as I can't hear him anymore. He used to be about 6 seats to my right, a few rows infront. Probably a good thing he has moved seats mind you, did my head in, so I don't miss him actually. :oops:

sj
Site Addict

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:21 pm

Barby Girl--- any sight of her?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:22 pm

sj wrote:Barby Girl--- any sight of her?

Her parent sit near me - no sign of her thankfully

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Stu wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Stu wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:

Not where he used to sit then, as I can't hear him anymore. He used to be about 6 seats to my right, a few rows infront. Probably a good thing he has moved seats mind you, did my head in, so I don't miss him actually. :oops:

I wish I could miss him but he always seems to pick a quiet time to shout it!

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Stu wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Stu wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Bristol Fan wrote:

Hmmm....I think I know who Roger/Ralph/Martin is, and he doesn't, as far as I know, sit the F2G. I do know what car he drives though. And he does LOOK like he SOUNDS! :lol:

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:56 pm

Barbie has been permanently excluded from attending!!! :D

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:26 pm

Greg WP wrote:
concretehippo wrote:Great game and great atmosphere, the noisy shrews certainly played their part in getting us singing in the second half.

You are not allowed to imply we made any noise, not unless you dont sing yourself and sit on the half way line.

Is that a dig at me? I speak as I find. Yes, I was sitting down by the half way line, no crime in that and yes I did state that the away fans were making more noise from where I was sitting.

If I had been in the F2G stand which is where I watch most games from I would probably have been saying that we made all the noise and I never heard Shrewsbury once - it is all subjective. As it was, circumstances dictate that I need to use the WBBS stand occasionally - how exactly does that make me any less of a fan and my opinions and observations any less relevant? Wherever I sit in the ground I support the team and am very rarely quiet when play is continuing and resent any suggestion otherwise.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:55 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:
Greg WP wrote:

Is that a dig at me? I speak as I find. Yes, I was sitting down by the half way line, no crime in that and yes I did state that the away fans were making more noise from where I was sitting.

If I had been in the F2G stand which is where I watch most games from I would probably have been saying that we made all the noise and I never heard Shrewsbury once - it is all subjective. As it was, circumstances dictate that I need to use the WBBS stand occasionally - how exactly does that make me any less of a fan and my opinions and observations any less relevant? Wherever I sit in the ground I support the team and am very rarely quiet when play is continuing and resent any suggestion otherwise.

Don't think it was aimed at you, more an over sensitive, bald man

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:58 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Don't think it was aimed at you, more an over sensitive, bald man

Another one? :wink:

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season