Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton And Hove Albion (A) League 1 Tuesday 6/11/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:22 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:
Duke wrote:A Superb turn and shot for Ishy's goal . he has to start more games

What do you base that on - certainly not his performances in full matches.

This site is full of blo0dy whingers - another point from a tough away game, we are in the top half of the table on the same points as Swindon and Harlepool - who earlier in the season you were all whinging that we should be easily matching them. Has Saturdays feel good factor worn off already. Glad I wasn;t online much tonight.

What brought that on? :D I don't think anyone's whinging - I'm certainly happy with a point from Brighton, happy with what sounds like a stormer of a goal, and happy that although we didn't have great control, we were able to make them look very very ordinary, and give them very few chances. Hard to beat - we certainly are.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:24 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:

This site is full of blo0dy whingers - another point from a tough away game, we are in the top half of the table on the same points as Swindon and Harlepool - who earlier in the season you were all whinging that we should be easily matching them. Has Saturdays feel good factor worn off already. Glad I wasn;t online much tonight.

You don't sound too happy yourself tonight. No offence, but I agree Ishy should start more. But of course that might mean Wracky loses his place of course...

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:24 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:

who's whinging? :shock:

a brilliant away point, not necessarily a brillaint performance (apparently) but I for one am more than happy tonight

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:26 pm

Six games unbeaten on the road? Very, very good. Delighted with a point from a tricky away trip and nice for Ishy to contribute as he hasn't quite fired yet. I think we'll need another central midfielder in as we do look a bit thin in that area. I'm going on Saturday so no doubt my Jonah-esque curse will strike again, sorry everyone.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:31 pm

Cueball wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:

You don't sound too happy yourself tonight. No offence, but I agree Ishy should start more. But of course that might mean Wracky loses his place of course...

I'm chuffed with tonights result , at the start of the thread i said a draw would be a super result , i make no secret of the fact that i don't rate Wrack as much as others and i'm not alone in that opinion , you must be getting me mixed up with another poster i never whinge . who ever wears the shirt gets my 100% backing including Wrack

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:35 pm

after hearing the absolute rubbish on Brighton's local radio via Brigthtonworld from their so called experts, actually some of the idiots on WM don't seem to bad :shock:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:43 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:

That's very unlike you Steve :shock: :?

I haven't seen any whinging on here. People have quite reasonably said they think Ishy should get more starts, but that is hardly whinging, just POV.

Great result, nobosy is saying anything different. Still say we desperately need (now) 2 midfielders if we're going to keep these great results going.

Spenco

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:48 pm

Superb result for me! Anybody know how Ricketts played?

cancol

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:04 pm

Interesting comments on their website - northstandchat some of them quite complimentary regarding the teams perfomance
A GREAT POINT.

Simon of Sedgley

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:04 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:Dobson out for 6 weeks - according to Dosh.

This is where we will really find out how good he is :?:

Did Wrack play his role tonight? will be worried if he did?

Just like to also add that Dicky Dosh has got my vote and time will prove him to be an excellent manager, his only negative is how sensitive he is, which is why he needs our support, even when we have a little blip.

Super Saddlers, Super Dicky

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Nice to get a point tonight and see Joe, Steve, and Mersiahdis...but a disasater for me. Got struck by a hit and run driver on M23 on way back. Car a write off. I am OK though :cry: :evil:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:36 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:Nice to get a point tonight and see Joe, Steve, and Mersiahdis...but a disasater for me. Got struck by a hit and run driver on M23 on way back. Car a write off. I am OK though :cry: :evil:

Glad you're OK. Shame about the motor. Hope the other driver gets what's coming to him.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:44 pm

Exile wrote:
Surrey Saddler wrote:Nice to get a point tonight and see Joe, Steve, and Mersiahdis...but a disasater for me. Got struck by a hit and run driver on M23 on way back. Car a write off. I am OK though :cry: :evil:

Glad you're OK. Shame about the motor. Hope the other driver gets what's coming to him.

A grizzly death hopefully, the scutter.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:54 pm

Just got back from the game and well happy with the point. Could do with some sleep, but a couple of points while I remember...

Not wasn't the best performance we'll ever see from a Walsall side (not that we could see much of it from the away stand, which seemed to be located in Kent) - in fact it was uniformly rubbish apart from the goal (which was up there with Mooney's on Saturday) - but we showed great spirit and battling qualities to stick in there and grab the opportunity for a point when it arrived.

We desperately need another midfielder if Dobson is out for six weeks or so. Not so much for the centre (although Wrack and Bradley were a bit powderpuff tonight it wasn't as bad as I feared) but to free Wrack up to play wide. Hall's not up to it anymore - and tonight was just one more confirmation of that - and Sonko seems to be inconsistent. He was very poor tonight - the only player who looked like he didn't fancy it.

Also, another midfielder would allow us to play 451 away from home even without Dobson. Having two up top tonight was a waste as we just couldn't get the ball to them. I'd be surprised if either Mooney or Ricketts touched the ball more than twice in the Brighton half after the break. We'd be much better off sticking three in the middle of the park (plus Ishmel and Sonko wide to offer pace and support to the lone striker) to break up the opposition's play and actually get the ball forwards to the lone striker and give him half a chance. But for a bit of magic from Ishmel (which, obviously, was what he was thrown on for) we could've played all night and not scored.

Very sorry to hear about your car Surrey - and glad you came out unscathed. I was on the last bus back to the Park & Ride so missed most of the traffic, but I did see some "interesting" driving on the way up the motorways.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:56 pm

Oh yeah - and I can confirm that DD waved vociferously at us on the way back into the changing rooms. :wink:

After the world's longest huddle in the middle of the pitch at the end of the game. I think we're getting back to the same team spirit we saw last season - and that can only be a good thing! :D

Joe90
Glitterati

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 am

Geoff - Glad to hear you're ok. Good to see you, but glad you didn't offer us a lift :wink:

Total smash and grab tonight. However, pleased with a point.

Am still laughing at the 3-legged stool :lol:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:30 am

I'm really sorry to hear about the accident Surrey, but very relieved to know that you came through it without injury.

Great point tonight, another first half no-show by the sound of it, with a second half improvement which appears to be typical of us in recent times. So in the end the point didn't surprise me much.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:52 am

Joe90 wrote:Geoff - Glad to hear you're ok. Good to see you, but glad you didn't offer us a lift :wink:

How did he pass that one?

Joe90
Glitterati

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:56 am

Exile wrote:
Joe90 wrote:Geoff - Glad to hear you're ok. Good to see you, but glad you didn't offer us a lift :wink:

With a lot of difficulty. Especially with 100 people yelling "you fat bar-steward" at him, and his mate cracking up everytime he looked at him.

"Three legs. You've only got three legs" :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:07 am

:oops: Whoops. Dave (Duke) - didn't mean to aim both comments at you! I still dont think Ishy has done enough when playing "full 90 minutes" to warrant taking anyone else's place yet (not just DW). I can see both sides of the DW opinions, I personally think he plays a steadying role - esp when in the middle, he will never have the pace that Ishy could give us. Obviously if everyone is happy with a point away at Brighton, I would suggest that DD did his job in picking the team - and the team did theirs (including the subs).

Onto my point about the whinging - I only read the thread very quickly and (page 3) it includes whinging based on seconds of WM reports - sorry if I offended anyone, but we were away - against an inform team and were always going to have to "tough it out" - read the thread and see how the mood changes once the goal goes in. Just bugged me at the time sorry!

I am not saying people shouldn;t have an opinion before anyone starts :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:07 am

Ps - I also had a bad day

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:08 am

PPS - Note to self - become nice again and stop whinging myself :P

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
Exile wrote:

With a lot of difficulty. Especially with 100 people yelling "you fat bar-steward" at him, and his mate cracking up everytime he looked at him.

"Three legs. You've only got three legs" :lol:

That'll teach him for smoking :shock:

Great entertainment from the ball boys, which was handy given that the seats did not come with opera glasses. At half time, some sort of congratulation was given to an Aussie based Brighton Fan. He'd have had a better view of both goals from Bondi Beach than I had from my seat. :roll:

"We CAN'T see you sneaking out" :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:07 am

It was probably DD. He's always racing off without acknowledging Walsall fans.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:53 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Best bit of the first half by a distance!!

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:05 am

"Sonko - Bradley - Wrack - Hall" isnt a very strong midfield, so we do need to strengthen.

thoughts on bringing in Hall rather than playing Ishmel on the left?

and when Smith came on for Weston, what happened with the back 4? Smith on the right? Or Smith in the centre and Gerrard on the right? Or Smith in the centre, Gerrard into midfield, and Wrack on the right? :?:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:30 am

geoff skillet wrote:"Sonko - Bradley - Wrack - Hall" isnt a very strong midfield, so we do need to strengthen.

thoughts on bringing in Hall rather than playing Ishmel on the left?

and when Smith came on for Weston, what happened with the back 4? Smith on the right? Or Smith in the centre and Gerrard on the right? Or Smith in the centre, Gerrard into midfield, and Wrack on the right? :?:

Smith on the right.

Our midfield hardly got in a tackle all night - and that led to most of the play being in our half of the pitch. Brighton didn't really open us up, but a team with a big strong centre forward would have been able to pepper us with crosses from decent positions and most likely win by two or three. We might get away with it against Shrewsbury, but we need a ball winner in there asap, which would then allow Wrack to switch back to the wing as he did on Saturday. I'd like to see Ishmel start in home games, but away I reckon he's best used as an impact player as he was last night. He didn't actually look that likely to beat his full back until the goal. Hopefully he's just been a bit low on confidence and that'll kick start him back to where we know he can be.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:41 am

Aldridge Steve wrote::oops: Whoops. Dave (Duke) - didn't mean to aim both comments at you! I still dont think Ishy has done enough when playing "full 90 minutes" to warrant taking anyone else's place yet (not just DW). I can see both sides of the DW opinions, I personally think he plays a steadying role - esp when in the middle, he will never have the pace that Ishy could give us. Obviously if everyone is happy with a point away at Brighton, I would suggest that DD did his job in picking the team - and the team did theirs (including the subs).

Onto my point about the whinging - I only read the thread very quickly and (page 3) it includes whinging based on seconds of WM reports - sorry if I offended anyone, but we were away - against an inform team and were always going to have to "tough it out" - read the thread and see how the mood changes once the goal goes in. Just bugged me at the time sorry!

I am not saying people shouldn;t have an opinion before anyone starts :lol:

no probs Steve , I guess we'll never see eye to eye on Wrack , its was always going to be tough last night , more so without Dobson .
I don't hate Wrack and i think he's a more than uesfull squad player because of his versatillty but i don't think he's the answer to the midfield problems we are now facing.

Stalky

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:44 am

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:45 am

I have to say I'm happy with a point away from home! We have never travelled well, and only under DD have we managed to have confidence to go and battle for points, so long may it continue!
And hey we are again in the top half of the table I'd settle for that at the end of this season!!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season