Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Port Vale 30/10/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Port Vale 30/10/07

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:54 pm

Saddlers 0 1 Port Fail
(0-0 at half-time)
(played at the Bonks's)

Walsall (4-4-2)

Bertrand Bossu

Richard Taundry
Mannie Smith
Ian Roper
Netan Sansara

Paul Hall
Harry Harris (Chris Hanna, 85 min.)
Charlton Davies
David McDermott

Alex Nicholls
Troy Deeney

Unused Substitutes
Richard Davies
Ed Ryan
Jamie Silver
Joel Skeldon (gk)
(No sign of Allan Picken!)

Manager:- Jimmy Mullen (assisted by Eric McManus)

Goal Log
57 min. - 0-1 - a blunder by Bossu as he allowed a soft header from Willock to go under his body, on a rare Vale attack.

Comments
Saddlers generally on top in the first half, although Vale did look threatening on their occasional forays into the Walsall half. Hall was a constant danger and sent over a succession of excellent crosses but his team-mates were unable to convert them. The nearest we came was when Roper and Taundry both hit the woodwork in the 15th and 31st minutes, respectively.

The second half followed the same pattern. Plenty of possession and chances created but no "end product".

The defence looked reasonably solid. Bossu was rarely troubled (although he did concede Vale's only on-target attempt of the game!) while Roper and Smith stood firm against the physical presence of Calum Willock and Danny Glover. Taundry and Sansara played well. Harris and Davies grafted away in midfield and the wide men, Hall and McDermott provided the main threat. Walsall's problem was up front. Nicholls was wayward in his kicking and Deeney hit a penalty against the bar and skied the rebound over it! It just about summed up his afternoon! The penalty was awarded in the 61st minute for a foul by Keith Lowe on Sansara. We went close on numerous occasions and Mark Goodlad, in the Vale goal, certainly rode his luck at times, but this was "just one of those days" and we could have played until midnight and not scored! With the possible exceptions of Hall (in the first half) and Taundry, no-one made a strong claim for first-team inclusion.

Buckos Boys

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:22 pm

Good report Leamore. Thanks. Couldn't make it today

Stalky

Re: Reserves v. Port Vale 30/10/07

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:58 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Saddlers 0 1 Port Fail
(0-0 at half-time)
(played at the Bonks's)

Walsall (4-4-2)

Bertrand Bossu

Richard Taundry
Mannie Smith
Ian Roper
Netan Sansara

Paul Hall
Harry Harris (Chris Hanna, 85 min.)
Charlton Davies
David McDermott

Alex Nicholls
Troy Deeney

Unused Substitutes
Richard Davies
Ed Ryan
Jamie Silver
Joel Skeldon (gk)
(No sign of Allan Picken!)

Manager:- Jimmy Mullen (assisted by Eric McManus)

Goal Log
57 min. - 0-1 - a blunder by Bossu as he allowed a soft header from Willock to go under his body, on a rare Vale attack.

Comments
Saddlers generally on top in the first half, although Vale did look threatening on their occasional forays into the Walsall half. Hall was a constant danger and sent over a succession of excellent crosses but his team-mates were unable to convert them. The nearest we came was when Roper and Taundry both hit the woodwork in the 15th and 31st minutes, respectively.

The second half followed the same pattern. Plenty of possession and chances created but no "end product".

The defence looked reasonably solid. Bossu was rarely troubled (although he did concede Vale's only on-target attempt of the game!) while Roper and Smith stood firm against the physical presence of Calum Willock and Danny Glover. Taundry and Sansara played well. Harris and Davies grafted away in midfield and the wide men, Hall and McDermott provided the main threat. Walsall's problem was up front. Nicholls was wayward in his kicking and Deeney hit a penalty against the bar and skied the rebound over it! It just about summed up his afternoon! The penalty was awarded in the 61st minute for a foul by Keith Lowe on Sansara. We went close on numerous occasions and Mark Goodlad, in the Vale goal, certainly rode his luck at times, but this was "just one of those days" and we could have played until midnight and not scored! With the possible exceptions of Hall (in the first half) and Taundry, no-one made a strong claim for first-team inclusion.

A very good report, Leamore. I agree with most of what you have said, except that I thought that midfield was even more of a problem than our toothless attack.

Bertrand Bossu 6 Reasonably reliable, but messed up the one real save that he had to make.

Richard Taundry 6 Looked good going forward, but suspect in defence.
Mannie Smith 7 Reliable without having any real problems.
Ian Roper 7 An easy match for him - he has had to face much worse.
Netan Sansara 6 As with Taundry - good going forward, suspect in defence.

Paul Hall 8 I'm not a Paul Hall fan, but he really was a class apart .. in the 1st half. Then he faded.
Harry Harris 5 Central midfield was our main problem.
Charlton Davies 5 Ditto.
David McDermott 6 Disappointing. Showed a few impressive moments, but failed to capitalise on his opportunities.

Alex Nicholls 5 A very poor match. He can do much better than this.
Troy Deeney 7 He worked hard (as usual) but seems to have lost all confidence in front of goal. Last season he would have had a hat-trick. Playing him in midfield has misfired badly. At least 3 gilt-edged chances: - i) a free header from 6 yards which he put straight at the goalkeeper, ii) another good heading opportunity which he put over the top and iii) missed a penalty, which the Keeper touched onto the bar. Following up with the Keeper on the floor, and facing an empty net, he put his effort wide.

(Chris Hanna, 85 min. for Harry Harris) Not enough impact to give him a mark.

Overall, not up to the usual standard I have seen in the Reserves. On this showing, only Hall would I consider for Saturday. (Never thought that I would say that!)

H

Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:44 pm

No sign of Junior then.

Maybe DD is saving him for Saturday :D :D :D :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:30 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:[Roper and Smith stood firm against the physical presence of Calum Willock and Danny Glover.

He's too old for this cack. :D

Twitters

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:43 am

Anyone have any opinions on the Vale team if you don't mind me asking?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:56 am

Twitters wrote:Anyone have any opinions on the Vale team, if you don't mind me asking?

They were a reasonable side but nothing special. They were second best in this game - apart from Bossu's blunder. Their defence was opened up quite a few times but, sadly, the Saddlers' players could not hit a cow's backside with the proverbial banjo! Goodlad played well in goal, if a little fortunate on the odd occasion. Their midfield was definitely stronger than ours and they relied heavily on the direct ball played up to Willock and Glover - not a pretty tactic but one guaranteed to provide a strong physical challenge.

In short - no disrespect to Vale, but they did not win - Walsall lost - if you get my drift!

retired

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:29 am

Thought there was a fair crowd there yesterday and thoujht the Walsall lads played well 1st half. It was one od those games where he ball was not going to go in. Walsall were unlucky they should have won the game but that is football. I heard the Port Vale coach saying he though Walsall played very well and complimented walsall on the team spirit. Though our midfield played well and our defence were good, perhaps the problem is theese guys only get to play once in a while. Chris Hanna has alot of pace and McDermot isbusy and maybe we expect too much from Taundrry and Sansara Harris and Davies as they are only 18 yrs olds. What has happened to Doan and Hylton?

Banger_007

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:35 am

R we watching the same game :x ive been reading your summaries for quite a while now u must all be in a taundry fan club.... i thought back 4 played really well but taundry did give the ball away 1st half, as said thou front 2 didnt do enough they should have had match secured in the 1st half ,midfield needs sortin too,for myself i thought hall and sansara were best on the pitch reckon sansaras got a shout for first team looks like he cud do wll as a left wing has pace and ability im sure the reserves will be back to there winnig ways nx time.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:34 am

Banger_007 wrote:R we watching the same game :x ive been reading your summaries for quite a while now u must all be in a taundry fan club.... i thought back 4 played really well but taundry did give the ball away 1st half, as said thou front 2 didnt do enough they should have had match secured in the 1st half ,midfield needs sortin too,for myself i thought hall and sansara were best on the pitch reckon sansaras got a shout for first team looks like he cud do wll as a left wing has pace and ability im sure the reserves will be back to there winnig ways nx time.

:wink: TEXT ALERT :wink:

Chezzo_saddler

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:42 am

We should of won like 20-2 the amount of chances, we had Roper missed an open goal and Deeney missed a penalty and a pritty decent rebound, no Mawete as well which surprised me, is he on his bike? I believe his ontracts up in January?

There goalkeeper was also goo between the sticks, it was just one of those days the ball wouldn't go in, could see after first 20 minutes.

Joe90
Glitterati

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:33 am

Chezzo_saddler wrote:We should of won like 20-2 the amount of chances, we had Roper missed an open goal and Deeney missed a penalty and a pritty decent rebound, no Mawete as well which surprised me, is he on his bike? I believe his ontracts up in January?

There goalkeeper was also goo between the sticks, it was just one of those days the ball wouldn't go in, could see after first 20 minutes.

What? You mean his legs turned to jelly?

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:42 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Deeney hit a penalty against the bar and skied the rebound over it!

A Pedant Writes:

Had Troy have netted the rebound, the goal wouldn't have counted (unless maybe the keeper touched it on to the bar).

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:52 pm

booster cogburn wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:Deeney hit a penalty against the bar and skied the rebound over it!

A Pedant Writes:

Had Troy have netted the rebound, the goal wouldn't have counted (unless maybe the keeper touched it on to the bar).

The Vale keeper did indeed make fleeting contact with the ball before it hit the bar, although he did not deflect it. It was just a crappy penalty-kick.

Banger_007

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:32 pm

a solid performance from our senior pros,harris, taundry, sansara, davies all to had to good games , it goes to show that behind the scenes there is alot of great work been done and it looks bright for the future.

wfc_pleck

Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Chezzo_saddler wrote:We should of won like 20-2 the amount of chances, we had Roper missed an open goal and Deeney missed a penalty and a pritty decent rebound, no Mawete as well which surprised me, is he on his bike? I believe his ontracts up in January?

What? You mean his legs turned to jelly?

did his pre match meal backfire on him lol

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:25 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:the Saddlers' players could not hit a cow's backside with the proverbial banjo!

I really am getting absent-minded. Can you remind me of that proverb about the banjo, Leamore? I appear to have totally forgotten it.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:01 am

Exile wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:the Saddlers' players could not hit a cow's backside with the proverbial banjo!

I really am getting absent-minded. Can you remind me of that proverb about the banjo, Leamore? I appear to have totally forgotten it.

Hmm - it seems that Alzheimer's is spreading to the Southern Hemisphere, now. :lol:

(The proverb is far too rude to publish on a public message forum)

Return to 2007-08 Season