Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Cheltenham town (H) league 1 Saturday 3/11/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:08 pm

loop wrote:Yes he waved so we should be free of tantrums this week. :P

i didnt see him wave, maybe cos i was with those who was crying because he didnt wave to us at bournemouth

loop
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Saddler4Life wrote:

i didnt see him wave, maybe cos i was with those who was crying because he didnt wave to us at bournemouth

maybe, i thought i saw him acknowledge us at full time. but to be honest it isnt something i particularly look out for.

Joe90
Glitterati

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:10 pm

Thank you. Now I know waving was the order of the day, I shall go and book my train ticket for Tuesday. :D

On a more serious note, the SadWorld coverage made it sound like quite a solid performance. Also the crowd sounded excellent.

Good work chaps - both on and off field.

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:14 pm

loop wrote:
Saddler4Life wrote:

maybe, i thought i saw him acknowledge us at full time. but to be honest it isnt something i particularly look out for.

nah or me!

To be honest, he got more important things to think about then waving at fans!

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:15 pm

A good performance without being spectacular. Cheltenham were a very poor side, having only 1 real chance all game which hit the post in stoppage time. Wrack, fox, Bradley and Mooney all impressed but no-one was really poor. We still need a Mattis type midfielder as there are far better teams we have to face but a deserved 3 points today and leeds lose :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Not a bad performance amongst the team today. I thought the defence looked solid, Midfield looked much more attacking (like when Mattis was playing), Wrack and Bradley really pushing forward. I thought Ricketts did well, stron, pacier than I thought - and could have had a couple on another day. Special mention must go to the best signing in ages - Tommy Mooney. His work rate and passion is second to none, reminds me of how Andy Rammell was for us AND, he plays with a smile on his face which is refreshing to see.

I know Cheltenham were bad, but today Walsall's passing was slick and a joy to watch at times. I expect no whinging tonight!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Just did what we needed to do.

Ricketts and Mooney played very well together and its very encouraging.

Both full backs played veey well today, Dann and Gerrard especially were a bit iffy.

Wrack was anonymous first half but was better when in the centre. Bradley is going to be a star, His forward runs are so important to us.

Sonko did well, put in some sublime crosses.

Deeney isnt ready yet, still need another striker unless Caneiro comes back invigorated.

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:48 pm

Solid, unspectacular (except for Mooney's second goal) all round performance.

Only negative for me..........The boo-ing of one of our own ,Michael Ricketts,WTF.

UTS

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:52 pm

Very professional performance from start to finish.

We looked well capable of stopping them doing anything going forward and also looked like creating chances at the other end, which is obviously the name of the game.
Ince claimed everything in the air and both fullbacks had excellent games. I think some people are having to face the music and warm to Fox now because he's arguably been our player of the season so far. Gerrard and Dann showed why Roper is being kept out of the team with a performance that showed once again that they are building a very good understanding with eachother.

The midfield really dominated the game and was probably the reason for the win (Tommy Mooney excepted). Dobson was on form, doing what he does best and was helped well by Bradley who showed a bit more discipline than he had been, which is what's required in a 4-4-2. Wrack looked off the pace on the left which brought an imbalance to the side as Sonko played well throughout. When Wrack moved into the centre however, he was very effective in keeping us flowing forward. Having said that, it's easy to do that when you're 2-0 up against a struggling side. You can only beat what's in front of you though.

Mooney and Ricketts seemed to work quite well. Mooney has taken up the role of dropping off the front man, whilst Ricketts is basically a battering ram at times, with a very good touch. He was denied by their goalkeeper twice when a goal looked almost certain. He also had a good header come back off the crossbar after Sonko had put in a cross which Mark Wright could only ever dream of. :wink:

Our changes saw the 3 points through to the end as Ishmel held onto the ball and Deeney continued to work their tiring back four.

Tuesday night should be a bigger test, but I'm confident we can come away with a point at least if we play as we did today.

If only every win was as comfortable as that.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote: I expect no whinging tonight!

Can we whinge about the lack of lager in the bar? :D

cec_the_saddler

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:

Evo I love your Avatar :twisted:

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:

Not another glass half empty poster :lol:

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Mooney was different class
Fox WAS excellent
Defence was solid
Wrack played well for once
Bradley and dobbo did well, but do pretty much the same thing
Ricketss, looked class above sometimes
Mooney and him might score a few
Hall did ok when he came on
Deeney needs to put a few pounds on
has no muscle
against a poor side i no
but you have 2 beat whats in fron of you
could have had a few more
the only down side to today
was the attendance
1000 of what it should be
hopefully a point a brighton in the week and then 3 at home to luton
could bring a few back. :lol:

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:59 pm

Really solid performance, beating what i thought was a Cheltenham team that had a fair bit of ball but never threatened.

Wrack, Dobson and Bradley were stand outs for me, although still feel we need another midfielder, a box to box player. Fox played well but could have done so much more if occasionally he had took two touches instead of looking to play instantly as some of his pasing was poor.

Ricketts-simple and effective. Mooney's second was just class.

Well done the lads! Just back in South Wales now and with smile on face

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:05 pm

A good result, but only a fair performance.

Cheltenham were very poor. Their defence was very weak, so I am not sure how people can say that Ricketts played well. He will not be given the same amount of space by many other sides in this division. Mooney put the penalty away and took his other goal well, but apart from that it was one of his worst performances - generally he looked pretty ineffective against a terrible defence.

There were some good points for us. Ince commanded his area well, the defence were fine, apart from Weston who had another poor game when it came to his distribution. In midfield I thought that Bradley and Sonko both showed promise.

The gate of 4,810 was about as many as could be expected after only one win in six home matches. Despite the very welcome win, it is unlikely that all that many new fans will be gained by performances like this.

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:10 pm

Bernie wrote:A good result, but only a fair performance.

Cheltenham were very poor. Their defence was very weak, so I am not sure how people can say that Ricketts played well. He will not be given the same amount of space by many other sides in this division. Mooney put the penalty away and took his other goal well, but apart from that it was one of his worst performances - generally he looked pretty ineffective against a terrible defence.

There were some good points for us. Ince commanded his area well, the defence were fine, apart from Weston who had another poor game when it came to his distribution. In midfield I thought that Bradley and Sonko both showed promise.

The gate of 4,810 was about as many as could be expected after only one win in six home matches. Despite the very welcome win, it is unlikely that all that many new fans will be gained by performances like this.

Probably not as commanding as we have been - but talk about being a negative git.

Mooney ineffective and one of his worst performances - you are having a laugh - his link up with Ricketts for the first game together with only a day's training (if that) looked very promising. Also, aren't strikers judged on goals scored and getting into the positions in the first place. Both Mooney and Ricketts had chances, and on a different day we could have scored more.

Some people are just never happy

loop
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:24 pm

:? Mooney ineffective ??? i don't agree he was certainly effective enough to score two goals and trouble there defence on more than one occasion, also Ricketts and Mooney linked up well i thought, not sure wether you were watching the same game as me then Bernie.....

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:46 pm

Rapidly losing respect for your points of view Bernie... I rarely agree with you, but can usually see where you are coming from, but not today..... Are you Futuresobright in disguise?

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:01 pm

Comfortable today. Lots of good performances, best of which was Danny Fox who was absolutely superb. Sonko's crossing also impressive an thoughtful. Agree Cheltenham were poor but were spirited and Connor showed up well in first half. They needed to be subdued and were by the second half performance.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:04 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:Rapidly losing respect for your points of view Bernie... I rarely agree with you, but can usually see where you are coming from, but not today..... Are you Futuresobright in disguise?

Yes he Is.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Competent, professional, workmanlike, organised and disciplined. That was today's performance for me. Not words to set the pulse racing but think back 20 months and how much we'd have loved to have described a 2-0 home win in League One with those words.

Fox was my man of the match.

Well done DD and the lads

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:10 pm

Are you for real??? :shock:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:11 pm

DD was very pleased with Mooney and Ricketts considering they have only trained once together , i really don't know what some fans want and expect you can only beat whats in front of you

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Duke wrote:

DD was very pleased with Mooney and Ricketts considering they have only trained once together , i really don't know what some fans want and expect you can only beat whats in front of you

Some want something to moan about ALL the time and expect WFC to play like Man U :evil:

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:23 pm

A comfortable performance, and a professional one against a team we should beat, and did. Ince was Commanding and came for everything, Fox was everywhere and I thought especially second half Weston was determined and impressed me. The back two won most things in the air. Eddy was full of running as was Wrack, The midfield two were solid and pinged the ball around and Mooney and Ricketts linked well and showed good movement off the ball.

Ok we didnt pull up any trees today, but we went out and did the job that was needed, and didn't give Cheltenham any real opportunity, partly due to their ineptitude and party through a solid line up and peformance.

Just the kind of performance needed in this kind of game we would be expected to win

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:11 am

loop wrote:

:? Mooney ineffective ??? i don't agree he was certainly effective enough to score two goals and trouble there defence on more than one occasion, also Ricketts and Mooney linked up well i thought, not sure wether you were watching the same game as me then Bernie.....

I don't think a striker who scores two goals can ever be described as ineffective!!! You're going to win far more than you lose when you score two goals as a team - so very much job done for a striker if he manages that. And the second must be the goal of the season so far - plus he laid the ball off for Bradley to win the penalty.

Don't agree with Bernie on Ricketts either. Not an out-of-this world display, but he looked like he'll be effective on that showing. Cheltenham were doubling up on him all the time (and fouling most of it too). That'll open up space for others even if he doesn't score himself (and he very nearly did with the header off the bar just before half time and the chip in the second half).

Good if not spectacular performance overall. Play like that every week and we'll be somewhere around 10th-12th come May - which'll do for me.

sack

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:14 am

good enough today, it's allways difficult to get up a tempo when you are playing a team who look as if they are not sure what they are supposed to be doing, in the first half it was a bit like fighting a bloke who won't fight back, but we have some quality now and that put the key in the door for us today, it shone through and made the differance. my man of the match was every man and woman in the crowd what a performance from us, grate support. sadly there was a few bafoon like tramps who were mor interested in balling and booing like little babbies, at 1 player in particular, why oh why can't they just go away, hey idiot boys just do us a favour and //,./ of some where else. 3 points and upwards, very good, and todays summing up word has to be pleasing.

Post edited - no text speak allowed here. Mod

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:24 am

Duke wrote:

I agree

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:27 am

Unbelievable comments about Mooney and Ricketts. We could have scored six today and it would NOT have flattered us in the slightest. These two made a massive contribution to that.

One simple rule in football - you can only beat what is put in front of you - and we did that at a canter, allowing Cheltenham virtually zero chances.

A very complete performance for me today, we did everything we had to do, and I left Banks's Stadium totally delighted that everyone played their part in completely dominating this game from start to finish. What more can you ask?

I'd add that Tommy Mooney is already well on his way to becoming a Saddlers legend, the guy is pure class, no doubt about it. If you can't see that Bernie, you surprise me.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:56 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

Unbelievable comments about Mooney and Ricketts. We could have scored six today and it would NOT have flattered us in the slightest. These two made a massive contribution to that.

One simple rule in football - you can only beat what is put in front of you - and we did that at a canter, allowing Cheltenham virtually zero chances.

A very complete performance for me today, we did everything we had to do, and I left Banks's Stadium totally delighted that everyone played their part in completely dominating this game from start to finish. What more can you ask?

I'd add that Tommy Mooney is already well on his way to becoming a Saddlers legend, the guy is pure class, no doubt about it. If you can't see that Bernie, you surprise me.

Some people are just never happy, Geoff - that's the Walsall way, sadly!

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season