Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Cheltenham town (H) league 1 Saturday 3/11/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Purple Toucan Saddler

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:08 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:
Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:Am I alone in thinking that Wrack had a good game.

He seemed to cover a lot of ground in both halves, and seemed to always be looking for the ball to be played to him, followed by direct attacking runs.

This was not only my view, but most around me, so I am a little confused by all of the negative views on his play.

Not at all, I thought Wrack did pretty well and as certainly an improvement on the Ishmel of recent weeks. He had two or three decent strikes on goal and like Bradley covered a lot of ground and linked up well with the forwards.

Collectively that was possibly the best we've seen from a midfield 4 this season IMO and wait for it.....I thought Paul Hall did ok also when he came on, apart from a miss that cost me nigh on 40 quid.

I too wish to join the 'Wrack had a good game' clique please. Two lazy passes aside, I thought he read the game, either from the wing or (particularly) the centre magnificently.

If you make a donation to our clique, you will be granted access to our secret forum which no-one else knows about. PM me for info on where to send the donation :lol:

Are you a Nigerian toucan, by any chance? :?

Not at all - but please forward me your bank account details to enable me to transfer $20m dollars into your account of which you will receive a 10% share

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:13 pm

King Crimson wrote:Are you a Nigerian toucan, by any chance? :?

Not at all - but please forward me your bank account details to enable me to transfer $20m dollars into your account of which you will receive a 10% share

Just do it through my holdings company, 'SR Print Management' :twisted:

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:17 pm

King Crimson wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Are you a Nigerian toucan, by any chance? :?

Just do it through my holdings company, 'SR Print Management' :twisted:

I would do, but I have heard that it has links with an unruly mob on a certain fans forum :lol:

May be I will find another sucker......... I mean investor :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:57 pm

He seemed to cover a lot of ground in both halves, and seemed to always be looking for the ball to be played to him, followed by direct attacking runs.

This was not only my view, but most around me, so I am a little confused by all of the negative views on his play.

Thank God it aint just me - I didn't want to be the first to mention this. I do see things through rose tinted glasses a bit more now I know him, but I thought he had a game more akin to his early years at the club. He broke through on goal a few times, was unlucky that the keeper made a brilliant save to keep out an effort near the end too. Yes, he hasn't got the pace of Ishy, but I thought he did really well yesterday, especially when played in the middle.

I also thought Dobbo did well - any news on his injury (I assume he was injured)?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:12 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:Thank God it aint just me - I didn't want to be the first to mention this. I do see things through rose tinted glasses a bit more now I know him, but I thought he had a game more akin to his early years at the club. He broke through on goal a few times, was unlucky that the keeper made a brilliant save to keep out an effort near the end too. Yes, he hasn't got the pace of Ishy, but I thought he did really well yesterday, especially when played in the middle.

I noticed an improvement in his own and Walsall's game when he joined Bradley in the middle, Steve. He's a clever footballer with a good touch. There's a place for a player like that in most teams.

Wrack4England

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:55 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:Thank God it aint just me - I didn't want to be the first to mention this. I do see things through rose tinted glasses a bit more now I know him, but I thought he had a game more akin to his early years at the club. He broke through on goal a few times, was unlucky that the keeper made a brilliant save to keep out an effort near the end too. Yes, he hasn't got the pace of Ishy, but I thought he did really well yesterday, especially when played in the middle.

I noticed an improvement in his own and Walsall's game when he joined Bradley in the middle, Steve. He's a clever footballer with a good touch. There's a place for a player like that in most teams.

At last my faith in him has paid off. he's back to his best :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:16 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Ego Sum Ego Existo wrote:Just did what we needed to do.

Ricketts and Mooney played very well together and its very encouraging.

Both full backs played veey well today, Dann and Gerrard especially were a bit iffy.
Wrack was anonymous first half but was better when in the centre. Bradley is going to be a star, His forward runs are so important to us.

Sonko did well, put in some sublime crosses.

Deeney isnt ready yet, still need another striker unless Caneiro comes back invigorated.

This is what I dont understand about you Daz, you say Gerrard was iffy?

He was a contender for MoM, if Mooney hadn't scored two goals, he'd have got my vote. He was a tower of strength, won every single header, was positive with no hesitation.

Fox had a decent game but Weston still looks very iffy, to use your wording. He looks like he can make a mistake at any time, and rarely finds a team mate with his passes. He improved 2nd half though.

In your opinion gerrard was motm, In mine, Dann and Gerrard should have done better, Money gave him a rollicking for most of the second half for his poor positoning. I guess I could see that better as I was down the end we were defending. Dann was off the pace too I would like to add as well. They shouldnt have even had a sight of goal.

Fox is one of my players of the season so far, and so is the awesome Dobson. He was very good again yesterday.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:28 pm

completely agree. i think the likes of Wrack,Mooney,Bradley were superb. I prefer Wrack in the centre of midfield as i don't think he has enough pace to be a winger but i think he is a good player to have in the squad.

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:20 pm

I feel a lot happier now, as prior to my post, all Wrack comments were negative and I was conntemplating my own sanity.

I'm still unsure about my sanity though :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:35 pm

Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:I feel a lot happier now, as prior to my post, all Wrack comments were negative and I was conntemplating my own sanity.

I can confirm that you are insane..... but so are a few of us :lol:

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:
Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:I feel a lot happier now, as prior to my post, all Wrack comments were negative and I was conntemplating my own sanity.

Does that make me part of the insane clique :?:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:01 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:

Does that make me part of the insane clique :?:

Welcome to the fold brother

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:59 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:

We are all Saddlers' fans, therefore all insane ! :lol:

I'd like to join the Wrack appreciation society for his performance yesterday, I thought he did very well and was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions. The 30 yard first time shot late on was a stunning strike and from my seat it looked a goal all the way.

Their keeper had a great game yesterday and on another day we might have scored six, and it would not have flattered us. He saved two near certs from Ricketts, one the first half header that he tipped onto the bar which was unbelievable, as good as any of Trevor Wood's saves vs Leeds that have been mentioned this weekend on the "Best Saves" thread. I was already out of my seat celebrating a goal and couldn't believe he'd saved it! Then the fine Ricketts chip that the keeper dived backwards to reach, and got his fingertips to it and diverted it just over the bar.

I wouldn't criticise a single one of our players after yesterday's game. Despite a few stray passes at times, we were always well in control and without having to reach the heights of performance we made Cheltenham look a very second rate outfit. As I said earlier, you can only deal with the opposition that is put in front of you, and we did that superbly.

Ricketts and Mooney linked up well, and I'm relishing the idea of seeing them playing together once a proper understanding has been established. We lost some of that edge when Ricketts went off and Deeney came on, but I put that down to Deeney's lack of experience and I can't blame the lad for that. Deeney himself will benefit from seeing the likes of Mooney and Ricketts in action. In having these players ahead of him he'll not get over-exposed too soon and will build his experience steadily, which I think can only benefit him as he looks a bit raw at the moment (well he is isn't he, but I have no problems with that at his age?).

On to Brighton and a very different kind of test, I hope for a win but expect a narrow defeat, maybe 2-1.

Currently I'm VERY satisfied that we're on the right track, so on this form the manager and team will get no criticism whatsoever from me.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:46 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:

We are all Saddlers' fans, therefore all insane ! :lol:

I'd like to join the Wrack appreciation society for his performance yesterday, I thought he did very well and was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions. The 30 yard first time shot late on was a stunning strike and from my seat it looked a goal all the way.

Their keeper had a great game yesterday and on another day we might have scored six, and it would not have flattered us. He saved two near certs from Ricketts, one the first half header that he tipped onto the bar which was unbelievable, as good as any of Trevor Wood's saves vs Leeds that have been mentioned this weekend on the "Best Saves" thread. I was already out of my seat celebrating a goal and couldn't believe he'd saved it! Then the fine Ricketts chip that the keeper dived backwards to reach, and got his fingertips to it and diverted it just over the bar.

I wouldn't criticise a single one of our players after yesterday's game. Despite a few stray passes at times, we were always well in control and without having to reach the heights of performance we made Cheltenham look a very second rate outfit. As I said earlier, you can only deal with the opposition that is put in front of you, and we did that superbly.

Ricketts and Mooney linked up well, and I'm relishing the idea of seeing them playing together once a proper understanding has been established. We lost some of that edge when Ricketts went off and Deeney came on, but I put that down to Deeney's lack of experience and I can't blame the lad for that. Deeney himself will benefit from seeing the likes of Mooney and Ricketts in action. In having these players ahead of him he'll not get over-exposed too soon and will build his experience steadily, which I think can only benefit him as he looks a bit raw at the moment (well he is isn't he, but I have no problems with that at his age?).

On to Brighton and a very different kind of test, I hope for a win but expect a narrow defeat, maybe 2-1.

Currently I'm VERY satisfied that we're on the right track, so on this form the manager and team will get no criticism whatsoever from me.

Top post - a good summing up IMHO

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:42 am

for whats its worth Gerrard and Mooney both made the Suns league 1 team of the week.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:21 am

Duke wrote:for whats its worth Gerrard and Mooney both made the Suns league 1 team of the week.

Should think so too!!

Cueball
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:15 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I don't critisise people for not going Joe, i barely get to half the games myself.

What I don't like is the boring, repetitive, hobby horse shagging posts about non-footballing topics.

Whether Sid likes it or not UTS is a diverse site with many different types of posters and uses and there are plenty of places for him to indulge his fantasy about how Me, MMF, etc. arn't in fact real people that travel the country watching Walsall but rather a bunch of snides that all live in some big comedy house in UTSland.

Its becoming impossible for me personally to indulge in any banter about the game without attracting posts of this nature from the usual suspects.

The likes of Bernie and myself, Tinned, I suppose even Phil argue like cat and dog on here, and although at times it gets a bit near the knuckle it is nevertheless genuine debate. Do we really need little promptings stage-left on the match thread from people who are basically more interested in what goes on on here than on the pitch at Bescot?

I'm sure Bernie or anyone else is quite capable of arguing with me, Aldridge Steve or anyone without uncalled for and unecessary mantra chanting from the likes of Sid. It just slows the debate and clogs up the threads.

Brilliant!! There would be some arguments in that house....!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Mooney and Weston named in league 1 team of the week.

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 44,00.html

well done lads.

UP THE SADDLERS

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:53 pm

Duke wrote:Mooney and Weston named in league 1 team of the week.

well done lads.

UP THE SADDLERS

I thought Weston had a good game, looked very solid defensively and seems to be getting better and better, a very good signing as it turns out IMHO even if he does wear YGA sweaters

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:59 pm

Gaz the Train wrote:

well done lads.

UP THE SADDLERS

I thought Weston had a good game, looked very solid defensively and seems to be getting better and better, a very good signing as it turns out IMHO even if he does wear YGA sweaters

It appears to me he takes a bit of time settle into to a game , but once he does he's solid enough . I though he was outstanding against Huddersfield.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:06 pm

Duke wrote:
Gaz the Train wrote:

well done lads.

UP THE SADDLERS

It appears to me he takes a bit of time settle into to a game , but once he does he's solid enough . I though he was outstanding against Huddersfield.

I think Weston's big problem is concentration. He often seems to let his man drift off him - especially from set pieces. If he's remembered to stay close enough he usually seems able to deal with most things that happen once his man gets the ball. Pretty useful going forwards and crossing too - although judging from Saturday's "effort" I don't think we want to see him with shooting chances inside the box too often! :D

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season