Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) League 1 Saturday 20/10/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:07 pm

tinned wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:He was superb his first season here , and I think he had 1 decent season under Colin (should never have been sacked ) Lee. Sir Ray almost saw through him once when he placed him on the transfer list. I honestly feel he's very overrated .

This is where I have to resist my editing powers :wink: Could easily edit that to the "correct setence of Colin (should've been sacked 3 months earlier) Lee :P

Youll be just as bad as the others then, doe do it, be a better man like me

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:08 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:I hope you are wrong about Wrack starting PH , but i reckon your right. I would play Deeney with Bradley and Dobson.
I've got a strong feeling Dobson will score tomorrow .

Not sure why you hate Wrack so much Dave - who else would you put in there (BTW - I would agree that an unchaged team would be better - but with no Mattis not possible)?

Hate a bit strong Steve , I don't rate him and have not for a few years to be honest. I've already said his best performances this term have been at right back. INHO his distribution is poor and he lacks pace , I seen no reason why Deeney cannot do a job in midfield for us.

His distribution is better than most - I would agree his pace isn't what it was - but why use a rookie player out of position (Deeney) when you have a season campaigner? We can continue this discussion tomorrow when we see what happens :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:32 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:I hope you are wrong about Wrack starting PH , but i reckon your right. I would play Deeney with Bradley and Dobson.
I've got a strong feeling Dobson will score tomorrow .

Not sure why you hate Wrack so much Dave - who else would you put in there (BTW - I would agree that an unchaged team would be better - but with no Mattis not possible)?

Hate a bit strong Steve , I don't rate him and have not for a few years to be honest. I've already said his best performances this term have been at right back. INHO his distribution is poor and he lacks pace , I seen no reason why Deeney cannot do a job in midfield for us.

His distribution is better than most - I would agree his pace isn't what it was - but why use a rookie player out of position (Deeney) when you have a season campaigner? We can continue this discussion tomorrow when we see what happens :wink:

thought thats what this season is all about having a look at the youngsters , If Denney starts in midfield and things don't go well , we can go 4-4-2 .

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
tinned wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:He was superb his first season here , and I think he had 1 decent season under Colin (should never have been sacked ) Lee. Sir Ray almost saw through him once when he placed him on the transfer list. I honestly feel he's very overrated .

This is where I have to resist my editing powers :wink: Could easily edit that to the "correct setence of Colin (should've been sacked 3 months earlier) Lee :P

I believe in you Gaz!

Show me the way to rightousness.

sack

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:25 pm

o no o no DD says we could well go back to 442 tomorrow, i think we'll get stuffed if we do, if you subscribe, http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 18,00.html?

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:38 pm

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:02 pm

Duke wrote:DD rates Southend very highly.

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 77,00.html

DD rates everyone we play very highly. Every team we've played so far will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season in his opinion (except Huddersfield maybe). :wink:

I'd rather he said that than talk the opposition (and, by extension, our players) down though...

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:14 pm

Don't think I am going so will probably be an absolute thriller 6-5 to the super saddlers :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:55 am

tinned wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
tinned wrote:

I believe in you Gaz!

Show me the way to rightousness.

Pie and a pint!

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:02 pm

I was planning on going to this all week but I'm going for a walk with my girlfriend now... :roll:

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:46 pm

McDermott in the team for today, that's another good youngster in, 2-0 to Walsall.

H

Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:49 pm

No Ishy - injured?

Crewe Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Clayton Ince, Rhys Weston, Anthony Gerrard, Scott Dann, Daniel Fox, Edrissa Sonko, Mark Bradley, Michael Dobson, David McDermott, Tommy Mooney, Troy Deeney

Subs: Bertrand Bossu, Darren Wrack, Ian Roper, Paul Hall, Alex Nicholls

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Crewe Saddler wrote:Clayton Ince, Rhys Weston, Anthony Gerrard, Scott Dann, Daniel Fox, Edrissa Sonko, Mark Bradley, Michael Dobson, David McDermott, Tommy Mooney, Troy Deeney

Guessing Ishy must be injured if he's not even on the bench. Other than that an expected 16 I guess, given our current resources. Shame that Junior Mawete isn't getting a look in, wonder if he's one of those signings that doesn't really come off?! :?

H

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Shame that Junior Mawete isn't getting a look in, wonder if he's one of those signings that doesn't really come off?! :?[/quote]

You mean along with 75% of DD's Signings? :!:

silvervanman

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:27 pm

barrowman scored again for (stav)ross county

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:38 pm

H wrote:
jolly johnny wrote:Shame that Junior Mawete isn't getting a look in, wonder if he's one of those signings that doesn't really come off?! :?

You mean along with 75% of DD's Signings? :!:

Do you really want us to go down that road on here with people again?!! :lol:

Crewe Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Nooo...they've scored

:cry: :cry: :cry:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Crewe Saddler wrote:Clayton Ince, Rhys Weston, Anthony Gerrard, Scott Dann, Daniel Fox, Edrissa Sonko, Mark Bradley, Michael Dobson, David McDermott, Tommy Mooney, Troy Deeney

Guessing Ishy must be injured if he's not even on the bench. Other than that an expected 16 I guess, given our current resources. Shame that Junior Mawete isn't getting a look in, wonder if he's one of those signings that doesn't really come off?! :?

Obviously. Junior was a panic signing and will be gone shortly.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:04 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

Obviously. Junior was a panic signing and will be gone shortly.

Well, his contract was only for a few months wasn't it, so that was always in the back of Money's mind.

Crewe Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:12 pm

Wrack has come on (for McDermott) at half time

Crewe Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:13 pm

and we are now Two Nil down :cry: :cry:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Crewe Saddler wrote:and we are now Two Nil down :cry: :cry:

Caught in possession at the back I have been told. Sounds like their goals have come from two mistakes really. :cry:

Crewe Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Match Stats so far
Walsall Southend
2 Shots On Target 6
1 Shots Off Target 3
1 Fouls Conceded 7
4 Corners 1
1 Yellow Cards 0
0 Red Cards 0

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:23 pm

It makes you wonder how much we are missing Mattis. And why there has been no replacement for him to date.

Crewe Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:28 pm

Nichols on for Deeney

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 pm

BathSaddler wrote:It makes you wonder how much we are missing Mattis. And why there has been no replacement for him to date.

Also, that we need a creative midfielder. It's hard, and unrealistic, to rely on youngsters such as Bradley and Deeney to do that for us, particularly if the wide men aren't really in the game that much. Sounds like we haven't created very much from what I have been told.

I'm sure DD will be scouring the loans this coming week, after the performance today

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Bring back mark wright he's just scored the winner for mkdongs

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:It makes you wonder how much we are missing Mattis. And why there has been no replacement for him to date.

Also, that we need a creative midfielder. It's hard, and unrealistic, to rely on youngsters such as Bradley and Deeney to do that for us, particularly if the wide men aren't really in the game that much. Sounds like we haven't created very much from what I have been told.

I'm sure DD will be scouring the loans this coming week, after the performance today

True. But many on here having been saying that all week. Losing today is not a disaster, but the failure to build on the impetus of the last few matches is disappointing.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Quiet simply we missed Mattis and Ishy. Playin kids infront of Dobson trigged his headless chicken mode. we had NO midfield today, we were wasteful with the ball and played at an unbarably slow tempo.

Apparently DD has has ago at the fans so wil be on WM in a bit!

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season