Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Southend United (H) League 1 Saturday 20/10/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:16 am

Just like to point out , Gerrard gave the ball away for the second goal ,
had that been Roper we would have never heard the last of it. :roll:

gray
Glitterati

Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:28 am

Duke wrote:Just like to point out , Gerrard gave the ball away for the second goal ,

I thought it was Dann?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:36 am

gray wrote:
Duke wrote:Just like to point out , Gerrard gave the ball away for the second goal ,

I thought it was Dann?

No one everslates Dann, he's golden boy

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:11 pm

No, that's not the case. Whoever gives the ball away in as suicidal a manner as yesterday deserves all the flak they get. It doesn't matter if your name's Roper, Gerrard, Dann or Mooney.

I'd like to say that their second goal put the game out of reach but in truth, it was already out of reach once they scored their first because we didn't have the firepower, tempo or ability to break down what was a very solid League One outfit.

What makes that all the more disappointing is the fact that their goalkeeper was pants. Had we tested him more than once, we may have seen something different unfold.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 pm

Thats exactly the case , only the other day we were debating Roper , many were quick enough to remind me he was at fault for 1 of the goals against Oldham , how weeks has that been .

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:54 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Weston could be blamed for the first goal after his man lost him far too easily. I'm going to go against the majority and suggest that Clayton Ince was not at fault for the goal at all. They positioned 3 of their players around him which meant that he couldn't do what he usually does and claim the ball in the air. Credit goes to their manager for that as he's obviously done his homework (probably watching us last Friday) and realised the need to deliver quality ball into an area Ince couldn't reach.

But those three players were all between the near post and about a third of the way to the far post. Ince shouldn't be in that area of the goal for a corner. As he was jostling with them before the corner came in I said something along the lines of "Ince shouldn't even be there to get involved in that - any far post header's going to be a goal" and look what happened...

Doesn't really matter: they were a well-organized side with a lot of quality for this division who'll be in the play-offs (or better) come May whereas we didn't really show anything at all - maybe two weak shots on target all game. Very disappointing after the last few games, but trying to play Deeney in midfield totally disjointed the side in the first half. He looked like a fish out of water and everyone around him (Bradley, Dobson, Mooney) had half an eye on what he was doing rather than worrying about their own games (which all suffered). Not the lad's fault at all - he's trying to make the grade as a striker and it's not doing him any more favours to play there than it is us. We missed Ishy out wide too (whatever the cause of his absence). McDermott tried hard but doesn't look ready for starts and was always looking to check inside onto his right - which compressed the play and left less space for Sonko, who consequently had a quiet game.

Defence was generally fairly solid - apart from the horrible giveaway for the second goal. You wouldn't get away with that at any level. I do wonder if Scott Dann tries to do a little but too much when we go behind. He was nearly caught out trying to push on into the midfield a few times in the second half. At this level I think he needs to concentrate on his defending and let the players further forward do their job and score the goals. That's not necessarily a criticism of Dann - he was very effective at doing that against worse players last season (eg Rochdale), I just think he needs to learn exactly when he can get away with it in this division.

In short, a poor performance, but maybe we were due one - and a point would most likely have looked a good return in May so not a disaster at all. We need to get a midfielder in this week and bounce back with a performance (and, hopefully, three points) at Bournemouth next week.

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:09 pm

Have to say I was disappointed yesterday. However it did prove one thing to me we desperately need a quick agile midfielder to run alongside Dobson. I dont mind Dobson as a player but he seriously needs someone with a good engine to do the running around for him. He's ok as the nitty gritty player who tackles players. And DD must see the same.
THought SOuthend did a good job of defending deep at the start and always thought they could out do us, they are only just out of the Championship after all. However we did lack some get up and go and were a little lack lustre after recent performances.

As for DD and his rant! The guy who has made the remark is probably one on his own, I very much doubt most Saddlers fans feel the same way. I for one don't.
I think he has and is doing a good job with the restrictions on money he is having to deal with. I do feel there is more to it than meets the eye, No one amongst the fans knows exactly what is going on. I just wish the powers that be would give him the fair chance to provide us with the funds we need to help us get the personnel we need to keep us with a fighting chance of staying in the top ten of this division.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:06 pm

Duke wrote:Just like to point out , Gerrard gave the ball away for the second goal

He did indeed, and any of the three or four times Dann did it in suicidal manner could easily have led to a goal as well.

However, mustn't criticise - it's our fault, remember.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:13 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Weston could be blamed for the first goal after his man lost him far too easily. I'm going to go against the majority and suggest that Clayton Ince was not at fault for the goal at all. They positioned 3 of their players around him which meant that he couldn't do what he usually does and claim the ball in the air. Credit goes to their manager for that as he's obviously done his homework (probably watching us last Friday) and realised the need to deliver quality ball into an area Ince couldn't reach.

But those three players were all between the near post and about a third of the way to the far post. Ince shouldn't be in that area of the goal for a corner. As he was jostling with them before the corner came in I said something along the lines of "Ince shouldn't even be there to get involved in that - any far post header's going to be a goal" and look what happened...

As a goalkeeper defending a corner, your priority has to be the near post initially. He wasn't wrong to be positioned there. When the ball came in, he should have been able to step backwards a few steps and claim it, but they stopped him from doing that. Had this been in the Premier League, he could have fallen over under the pressure and probably would have got a free kick.

As you say, it doesn't really matter now. I just brought the point up to highlight the fact that we were beaten by a well-drilled, well-managed side with better players than us to those who weren't there to see it.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:35 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

As a goalkeeper defending a corner, your priority has to be the near post initially. He wasn't wrong to be positioned there. When the ball came in, he should have been able to step backwards a few steps and claim it, but they stopped him from doing that. Had this been in the Premier League, he could have fallen over under the pressure and probably would have got a free kick.

As you say, it doesn't really matter now. I just brought the point up to highlight the fact that we were beaten by a well-drilled, well-managed side with better players than us to those who weren't there to see it.

I guess it depends where you think a goalkeeper's starting position for a corner should be. Personally I think it's easier to go forward to cover the near post than it is to go backwards if the ball goes towards the far post, so I'd never want to start that close to the near post. I'm sure there are keepers that'll say they've got a bit longer to react if it's a far post ball so it's best to start nearer to the front post. All a matter of personal preference I suppose...

Anyway, we can both agree that the guy won the header far too easily!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

I guess it depends where you think a goalkeeper's starting position for a corner should be. Personally I think it's easier to go forward to cover the near post than it is to go backwards if the ball goes towards the far post, so I'd never want to start that close to the near post. I'm sure there are keepers that'll say they've got a bit longer to react if it's a far post ball so it's best to start nearer to the front post. All a matter of personal preference I suppose...

Anyway, we can both agree that the guy won the header far too easily!

Clayton should be more physically ruthless. There should be bodies on the deck. Either the attacker who got in his way should be down feeling like he's just got run over by a truck or Clayton should be down having forced he forward to commit a far more obvious foul. Nine out of ten times the forward won't get a decision, nine out of ten times the keeper will.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:33 pm

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:51 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

No, that's not the case. Whoever gives the ball away in as suicidal a manner as yesterday deserves all the flak they get. It doesn't matter if your name's Roper, Gerrard, Dann or Mooney.

I'd like to say that their second goal put the game out of reach but in truth, it was already out of reach once they scored their first because we didn't have the firepower, tempo or ability to break down what was a very solid League One outfit.

What makes that all the more disappointing is the fact that their goalkeeper was pants. Had we tested him more than once, we may have seen something different unfold.

I doubt mooney would get the stick that wracky got when he gave the ball away that eventually got roper sent off.

Percie
Glitterati

Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:15 am

cal wfc fan wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:We were caught out in midfield again today, personally I felt we missed Mattis big time. Anyone know about Ishy yet? Not even in the squad.

Both goals were down to defensive mistakes, conceding possession far too easily.

I must have a gripe about the moaning old bu.........sorry perisher behind me, he didn't shut up all match, had an opinion about everything and all of it totally wrong. One of his classics was when we had a corner first half and Sonko went to take it. His comment: "Mcdermott should take it because he's small!". Didn't have a good word to say about anyone or anything all game.

I had some like that sitting by me, never shut up moaning all game. Trouble is, the lads have increased the expectation of some "fans" and those "fans" were forgetting who we were playing!! Only a few months ago Southend were a championship side, two leagues above us!

Excuse me love, you was sitting next to me Saturday and I know the "someone" your talking about. I remember you giving that "someone" dirty looks when he was cussing Ince for not coming off his line for the first goal. Fair enough, but you then decided it wasn't Ince's fault and stated "These am championship doh ya know." No excuse for Ince not coming to collect the ball from the corner. I was listenin to you all game moanin, huffin' and puffin' when people voiced any sort of opinion, correct opinions in my judgement.

Sorry love, you know kack all about football.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:51 am

Percie wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:
Dave Gittins wrote:We were caught out in midfield again today, personally I felt we missed Mattis big time. Anyone know about Ishy yet? Not even in the squad.

Both goals were down to defensive mistakes, conceding possession far too easily.

I must have a gripe about the moaning old bu.........sorry perisher behind me, he didn't shut up all match, had an opinion about everything and all of it totally wrong. One of his classics was when we had a corner first half and Sonko went to take it. His comment: "Mcdermott should take it because he's small!". Didn't have a good word to say about anyone or anything all game.

I had some like that sitting by me, never shut up moaning all game. Trouble is, the lads have increased the expectation of some "fans" and those "fans" were forgetting who we were playing!! Only a few months ago Southend were a championship side, two leagues above us!

Excuse me love, you was sitting next to me Saturday and I know the "someone" your talking about. I remember you giving that "someone" dirty looks when he was cussing Ince for not coming off his line for the first goal. Fair enough, but you then decided it wasn't Ince's fault and stated "These am championship doh you know." No excuse for Ince not coming to collect the ball from the corner. I was listenin to you all game moanin, huffin' and puffin' when people voiced any sort of opinion, correct opinions in my judgement.

Sorry love, you know kack all about football.

If you're talking about Joe and probably Darlo then they do nothing but constantly moan. :D

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season