Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers ( A) League 1 Friday 12/10/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:45 pm

great result, who could think a few weeks ago we wouldn't lose in four games in a row.

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:46 pm

loop wrote:Pleased with the point, sounds as though the effort was there again.

:D

Fantastic team spirit , great to see hear that the players and DD were in the huddle at full time .

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:52 pm

1 defeat in 7 that of course being the Oldham blip, 4 clean-sheets in that run, superb stuff.

Mr D Doffer

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:53 pm

:lol: Offer here,

We have played no 1, 2. 3, 4 and 5 in the league , already this season.

FACT, FACT, FACT, FACT.

WHAT HAVE WE TO FEAR.

:lol: Offer

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Mr D Doffer wrote::lol: Offer here,

We have played no 1, 2. 3, 4 and 5 in the league , already this season.

FACT, FACT, FACT, FACT.

WHAT HAVE WE TO FEAR.

bang on Offer

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Great Result.

I hate Tranmere, daft wannabe scousers.

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:1 defeat in 7 that of course being the Oldham blip, 4 clean-sheets in that run, superb stuff.

just remember who tipped us fot the play offs at the start of the season.

UP THE SUPER SADDLERS

deanonev69
Glitterati

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Cracking result and by all accounts a well deserved point-well done the boys

Mr D Doffer

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:03 pm

:lol: Offer Here,

Seriously,

We could do it, you know.

I now believe it.

Scunthorpe are no better than us.

GET REAL, WE CAN DO IT.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:13 pm

I think with a fully fit squad we are a match for anyone, but with 3 or 4 injuries we might struggle.

Already missing Boertien and Wrack, I hope the injuries to Mattis and Mooney that DD mentioned arn't going to be problematic.

Really good game in prospect again next week against Southend, so it would be nice to have at least an unchanged team to call upon given that Wrack and Boertien have no chance of being fit, and it would also be nice to see a few more people turn up.

Could we possibly get 5,000 home fans???? Hmmmm we can but dream.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:25 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:
Norfolk_Saddler wrote:Not much happening. Ince sounded wobbly first 10 minutes but got a grip eventually.

Their aussie full back on a yellow already, which is good nes for Ishmel and Eddy, I suppose.

Sounds like Weston is having a bit of a shocker.

Otherwise, nil nil written all over it.[/quote]

That means there will be a goal at some point in the match now then!!

Should not rub it in ay but there was not.

Great point IMHO and even better, another clean sheet away from home against quality opposition. That more than anything else is the indication of the way things have been turne around since Oldham

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:31 pm

Another cracking result from the lads - and another clean sheet, this time away at the league leaders. It really looks like we're getting the hang of this league now. I'd agree with a couple of other comments about the injuries. Hope they're not too bad else the thinness of our squad could be exposed sooner than I'd like, but assuming that everyone's fit then I'd hope to beat Southend on Saturday and be right on the play-off fringes.

It's a good time to be a Saddler right now. Unbeaten in four, one loss in seven and the brightest crop of young players I can remember at the club in years.

:D :D :D

cancol

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:38 pm

A Really good result the value of it will only be appreciated at the end of the season :) :) :)

Zece_WFC
UTS Regular

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Just got back, really good game and an amzing following by the supporters that went tonight. Easily a thousand there.

We could of grabbed all three points towards the end!

Was talking to Kinsella in the services on the way back who was with his son and Rene Gilmartin!!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:52 pm

cancol wrote:A Really good result the value of it will only be appreciated at the end of the season :) :) :)

Apart from on UTS, where any good result has the potential to be erased from history by a bad result the following week. :wink:

Lose next week and we will collectively bolt upright in our beds on Sunday morning, sweating profusely. Then rush to the computer to check it hadn't all been a dream only to find that the Southend defeat and invoked a moebious ring in time and space leading us directly back to the Sunday morning after Oldham at home.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:59 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
cancol wrote:A Really good result the value of it will only be appreciated at the end of the season :) :) :)

Apart from on UTS, where any good result has the potential to be erased from history by a bad result the following week. :wink:

Lose next week and we will collectively bolt upright in our beds on Sunday morning, sweating profusely. Then rush to the computer to check it hadn't all been a dream only to find that the Southend defeat and invoked a moebious ring in time and space leading us directly back to the Sunday morning after Oldham at home.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think most people are convinced now to be honest. One defeat won't get many people back to panic stations!

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:09 pm

Decent game for a 0-0. I thought Tranmere looked a far better team than those we have played recently, to big guys up front who the defence coped well with. I thought the pick of the bunch tonight was Mooney.... odd considering he didn;t have many chances, but he ran his socks off, tracked back, battled, held the ball up well and generally led by example. Dan seems to be more settled again and Dobbo was solid. If I'm honest we didn't create much, but the passing when we had it on the floor was crisp and acurate and a joy to watch at times. Great turnout - I 'd guess 800 approx. Nice to see so many UTS'ers.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:14 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:Decent game for a 0-0. I thought Tranmere looked a far better team than those we have played recently, to big guys up front who the defence coped well with. I thought the pick of the bunch tonight was Mooney.... odd considering he didn;t have many chances, but he ran his socks off, tracked back, battled, held the ball up well and generally led by example. Dan seems to be more settled again and Dobbo was solid. If I'm honest we didn't create much, but the passing when we had it on the floor was crisp and acurate and a joy to watch at times. Great turnout - I 'd guess 800 approx. Nice to see so many UTS'ers.

I'll agree with everything Steve has to say other than I thought Deeney was MOTM tonight, to be played out of position and to be so effective, hats off to the lad.

Ive drak too mych beds calling me

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:22 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:Decent game for a 0-0. I thought Tranmere looked a far better team than those we have played recently, to big guys up front who the defence coped well with. I thought the pick of the bunch tonight was Mooney.... odd considering he didn;t have many chances, but he ran his socks off, tracked back, battled, held the ball up well and generally led by example. Dan seems to be more settled again and Dobbo was solid. If I'm honest we didn't create much, but the passing when we had it on the floor was crisp and acurate and a joy to watch at times. Great turnout - I 'd guess 800 approx. Nice to see so many UTS'ers.

There was an interview with DD on WM after the game when he revealed that Mooney had reported in with a sore achillies on Friday morning, the upshot of which was that it was a matter of debate between DD, Witney and Mooney as to whether he should play. Apparently Mooney insisted on playing, and of course lasted the 90 minutes, when it was thought half a game or an hour would be the absolute maximum we would get out of him.

Just to add as well, DD revealed he had been considering 4-5-1 since pre-season, and he also went on to praise our support.

The Mattis injury will apparently require an x-ray on Monday, and they will be collecting Mooney's footballers' pension from the post office on the way back from the hospital.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:25 pm

Superb again! really looked confident and solid.

MOTM - Dobson or Dann - Both awesome.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:30 pm

Just got in chuffed to bits with the point. Was a good game and not a boring 0-0

Waiting outside the ground this bloke came up andasked who our number 8 was, said he was a good player!

UTS xx

I'ne had to much to drink too Kev :wink:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:42 pm

Kiansmom wrote:Just got in chuffed to bits with the point. Was a good game and not a boring 0-0

Waiting outside the ground this bloke came up andasked who our number 8 was, said he was a good player!

UTS xx

I'ne had to much to drink too Kev :wink:

Im glad people who called Dobson 'Dobbin' can see the player he was now. What a player. we would be seriously, seriously lost without him, him along with Dann and Mooney are the spine of the team.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:59 pm

A really solid display plenty of attitude from the lads more of the same and we will not be far away.Bodies on the line from the back four, plenty from Dobbo(my MOTM), Mooney worked hard and Deeney kept the ball really well when he came on. I know I play the scouse thing from time to time, but Dann, Fox and Gerrard represents talent from under Tranmere's noses and they were great again.

I've seen us seven out of eleven league games so far and we've gone from feeling our way in some keenly fought contests (that to be fair could have gone either way) to looking like we belong. Tranny will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season and they weren't better than us.

Much like after Donny just over a week ago, I wouldn't have been unduly concerned had we lost because what I saw was a squad of young players trying to knock the ball around in the right way and giving their all for the cause. You can't ask for much more.

Nice to see Blazing again, meet MMF, sorry I couldn't catch up with the NUTS but duty called elsewhere.

Drunk(sorry for spelling etc), tired but dead happy. Taxi to my local takeaway from an away game is always a good thing (my little reward for the hours on the M6 to the homes) Goodnight, God bless and Up The Saddlers. Love you all.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:36 am

Superb result, and great support by the sound of it. Well done one and all.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:08 am

Massachusetts Saddler wrote:Im glad people who called Dobson 'Dobbin' can see the player he was now. What a player. we would be seriously, seriously lost without him, him along with Dann and Mooney are the spine of the team.

MS - read my post on the Uddersfield match thread.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:53 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:

Stf up Geordie...your getting boreing....you get one post put on the front page (wrongly in my opinion)....and its gone to your head....your no better than anyone else on uts mate.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:19 am

Another great result. The highlight for me was the reporter on Sky Sports News saying that Dobson was "Marco Van Basten-esque" when he struck a volley which needed a good save.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:44 am

Excellent and solid performance last night I thought. We started slighter slower than them in the first half and I thought Zola was proving a bit of a handful for them, holding the ball up well and bringing others into the game well, but we managed to contain him and grew during the first 45. Shame to see Mattis go off as it was my first look at him, but Deeney came on and did a solid job I thought. At half time I said to Manchester Saddler, as we scoffed our cheeseburgers - oh btw WFC, quick service, hot, and a decent price! :wink: ) that the men of the first half were Dobson, Gerrard and Bradley.

2nd half we started very well, and despite some, what looked like from our end, a couple of glaring misses from Tranmere, we matched them easily, if not dominated in a few spells. Deeney almost scored with a cracking volley which Achterberg did very well to keep out, and any rebounds we had just weren't falling to us. Seemed like we played a very long second half but very relieved when the whistle went. Got to be happy with 0-0 and a fairish result - maybe we just edged it.

Players wise:
Ince - iffy start and a few flaps but great save from a header and collected well overall
Weston - not his best game to be honest, but okay
Dann - Solid and had a particularly good 2nd half
Gerrard - same as Dann really, they played Zola and Taylor very well. Just don't hit our free kicks straight out please Ant! :wink:
Fox - played well, used the ball quite effectively and seemed comfortable - getting better
Sonko - quiet game really and didn't get a chance to do great deal.
Dobson - Awesome really. Won most things, shut their play down and used the ball well to help us maintain possession
Bradley - pretty good, a bit in and out of the game but good legs and linked up well with the other youngsters.
Mattis / Deeney - no real time for Mattis; Deeney played very well, particularly 2nd half when he broke forward with the ball a few times.
Ishy - Had the beating of his full back and had some good runs, but end product still not great at times. Tranny tried to crowd him out in the end. He shows good touches and tricks but loses the ball too many times either because he's trying to tempt the player in a bit too close or trying something too fancy. Sometimes I wish he would just hold the ball a little bit more and look for a simple pass rather than lose it cheaply.
Mooney - trojan! Worked his socks off, encouraged others and led from the front. Won the ball a lot and chested / headed down for others.

McDermott - did okay when he came on for Sonko, showed good pace and linked up well with Bradley & Deeney.

Overall MOTM should be one of Dobson, Mooney, Dann or Gerrard I'd say. This team is so different to the one I saw a few weeks ago. Much more belief, composure and a team spirit. It seems the pre and post match huddles are now a regular thing!!

Finally, I have to say how brilliant the support was last night. Loads of us there, singing and chanting all game, it was awesome. We must have been a 12th man for the team. It's a shame we can't seem to create that sort of enthusiasm / atmosphere at home :? No wonder, before last saturday, we have been timid and not ourselves at the banks' so far this season.

PT wrote:Nice to see Blazing again, meet MMF, sorry I couldn't catch up with the NUTS but duty called elsewhere.

Sorry we couldn't get there in time for the Clipper to meet people (not that you were in that pub anyway Paul!) Had a look for you in the stand but couldn't see you, we might have to review your NUTS membership at the next AGM after bailing on us!!! :wink: :lol:

Did spot a few people (nice pink streak MS!!) and the likes of Linda singing at the back!! Hope to see and say hello to a few people at another game soon.

UTS!!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:04 am

sid swifty wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

Stf up Geordie...your getting boreing....you get one post put on the front page (wrongly in my opinion)....and its gone to your head....your no better than anyone else on uts mate.

Love you too Sidley xx

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:06 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

Love you too Sidley xx
You dont know how much that means to me geordie....Love you too...xxx

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season