Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers ( A) League 1 Friday 12/10/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:36 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:Mooney was motm by a mile for me. Never stopped working for the whole 90mins, A real inspiration.

Ishy continues to progress nicely, and Dann and Gerrard will prove to be one of the best pairings in the league this season.

Great support, great point, and really pleased.

Your gonna upset Mr Dean and his love child Ropes :wink:

:cry: :cry: :twisted:

Not at all Ned , results are more important than Ian Roper, I take my hat off to Gerrard he fully deserves his place in the team on current form , Dann has adjusted to life in league 1 . what annoys me is how quickly fans forget what fantastic service Ropes as given WFC , and what a good player he is , he'll be back i'm sure of that.

The improvement in midfield has done wonders to the defence. Now they can cocentrate on their own jobs and actually get a rest now and again from a bombardment

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:25 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:Mooney was motm by a mile for me. Never stopped working for the whole 90mins, A real inspiration.

Ishy continues to progress nicely, and Dann and Gerrard will prove to be one of the best pairings in the league this season.

Not at all Ned , results are more important than Ian Roper, I take my hat off to Gerrard he fully deserves his place in the team on current form , Dann has adjusted to life in league 1 . what annoys me is how quickly fans forget what fantastic service Ropes as given WFC , and what a good player he is , he'll be back i'm sure of that.

The improvement in midfield has done wonders to the defence. Now they can cocentrate on their own jobs and actually get a rest now and again from a bombardment

Hear hear.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:52 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:

thats a very good point young Ned .

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:59 pm

Yes, it is. It's down to that extra yard of pace in the middle of the park. Combine that with the width and it's always going to take the strain off of the central defenders and give them that extra bit of time to regroup. It's forcing the opposition to stop pressing the central pair and dragging them back up the park.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:04 pm

Special mention for Clayton as well. Not been his biggest fan, but what I have seen this season he has been much better than last year, had a dicey game at Doncaster, but was superb friday night, didn't have much in the way of saves, but plucked so many crosses out of the air to relieve pressure. Was well impressed, he also knows how to kick straight now

Well done big fella

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 pm

I thought the game was quality considering the scoreline and that we could have quite easily taken the three points without too much complaint from the Tranmere fans. They had their chances as we did, but there was only one side playing the football - they seemed to hit us on the break quite effectively at times.

I'm mates with a couple of Tranmere fans, both of whom say we're the best side they've played so far, despite losing to Leeds on the opening day. We're now playing with plenty of method and a style which suits the players we have on the pitch.
Dobson was our man of the match in my opinion. He did exactly what you want him to be doing in that position. His passing is still a bit wayward when he is required to play longer balls, but when Bradley and Mattis play alongside him a bit more, I think they'll start to realise how we play our best stuff going forward when Dobson wins the ball in space and we play the ball to feet.

I think Ishmel performed as maturely as he ever has done. Got the beating of an experienced full back in the form of Robbie Stockdale often enough to create chances, but unfortunately had a tendency to over-hit his crosses. The one problem with this one up front formation is that it often means we don't have enough bodies in the box. That's nothing major though as we showed we can create chances from all over the park.

Tommy Mooney was an inspiration to his team-mates and the fans behind the goal. Giving him the captaincy is arguably the best move Money has made this season because we're seeing a player who will cause any defence at this level problems, at the top of his game. It's so refreshing to see a team who really play for the fans and enjoy such full support. Mooney, Sonko and Deeney all made gestures to our fans on Friday to suggest that they were really thriving from the buzz coming from behind the goal. Long may that continue.

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:48 pm

Not sure if it's already been pointed out , but highlights are already on Virgin.

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/pag ... 06,00.html

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:54 pm

addo wrote:Not sure if it's already been pointed out , but highlights are already on Virgin.

http://www.football.virginmedia.com/pag ... 06,00.html

Safe mate!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:40 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I think Ishmel performed as maturely as he ever has done. Got the beating of an experienced full back in the form of Robbie Stockdale often enough to create chances, but unfortunately had a tendency to over-hit his crosses. The one problem with this one up front formation is that it often means we don't have enough bodies in the box. That's nothing major though as we showed we can create chances from all over the park.

Ishy does seem to have improved, and the report of how he responded to Frank Sinclair in the Huddersfield seems to show it is happening. BUT, I don't know if anyone else spotted it, but he had a kick out at Shuker during the second half after one of our attacks broke down. He flicked his studs out a couple of times to try and catch him as he walked past but luckily didn't make contact, Shuker didn't react and it wasn't spotted by the officials, otherwise it might have been a different story for him in the game.

Ishy = a long piece of work in progress!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:06 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:I think Ishmel performed as maturely as he ever has done. Got the beating of an experienced full back in the form of Robbie Stockdale often enough to create chances, but unfortunately had a tendency to over-hit his crosses. The one problem with this one up front formation is that it often means we don't have enough bodies in the box. That's nothing major though as we showed we can create chances from all over the park.

Ishy does seem to have improved, and the report of how he responded to Frank Sinclair in the Huddersfield seems to show it is happening. BUT, I don't know if anyone else spotted it, but he had a kick out at Shuker during the second half after one of our attacks broke down. He flicked his studs out a couple of times to try and catch him as he walked past but luckily didn't make contact, Shuker didn't react and it wasn't spotted by the officials, otherwise it might have been a different story for him in the game.

Ishy = a long piece of work in progress!

He is, yes.

The example you refer to though is the sort of thing that goes on in footall with a lot of players, not just the ones who are known for their poor disciplinary records. Anyone remember Anthony Gerrard chipping away at the achilles' of Kiegan Parker at our place a couple of years back? You've just got to be cute enough to get away with it.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:25 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:The example you refer to though is the sort of thing that goes on in football with a lot of players, not just the ones who are known for their poor disciplinary records. Anyone remember Anthony Gerrard chipping away at the Achilles tendon of Kiegan Parker, at our place, a couple of years back? You've just got to be cute enough to get away with it.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with "chipping away" at Kiegan Parker! Indeed, it is to be encouraged, at every available opportunity! In fact, assassination is to recommended. :twisted: :twisted:

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season