Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Willenhall Town 3.10.07 - B'ham Senior Cup

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Willenhall Town 3.10.07 - B'ham Senior Cup

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:27 pm

Birmingham Senior Cup – Round 1

Willenhall Town 0 3 Walsall Reserves
(played at Noose Lane)

Walsall (4-5-1)
Bertrand Bossu

Richard Taundry
Rhys Weston (Capt.) (Hassan Bacchus, 70 min.)
Ian Roper
Netan Sansara

Alex Nicholls
David McDermott (Harry Harris, 55 min.)
Charlton Davies
Gylfi Eirnarsson (sp?)
Chris Hanna (Leon Quarless, 55 min.)

Junior Mawete

Unused Substitutes:-
Tom Schwarz
Tom Cox (gk)

Manager:- Jimmy Mullen

Goal log:-
35 min. - 0-1 - a cracking free-kick from 25 yards out by McDermott. Fox would have been proud of it!
47 min. - 0-2 - McDermott turned provider as he put Nicholls clear to score with a super cross-shot.
63 min. - 0-3 - Weston seized on a poor clearance to fire home from just outside the penalty-area.

Comments:-
The super Saddlers started with 3 full internationals in their line-up - Weston (Wales), Mawete (Angola) and Eirnasson (Iceland). The last-named is a free agent, on trial, making a comeback, after injury. His last club was the cheating scumbag lot, from West Yorkshire. He was a tidy player, who did little wrong, but I would have liked to have seen him more involved.
Defensively, we were o.k., with Taundry in top form. The midfield generally ran the show (as one would hope and expect) but occasionally seemed unsure of their allotted roles, with the extra player in there. Up front, Mawete worked hard but rarely threatened the Willenhall goal. He switched to wide right and Harris took over his rôle.
When a part-time pro team takes on a full-tome pro team in a cup game they will often start at a high tempo. For this to work, you have to take your chances as soon as you can, otherwise the full-timers will “grind you down” and punish your mistakes more clinically. So it was tonight. Willenhall had their chances but did not convert them and they fell to 3 classic strikes from the Saddlers.

P.S. No Saddlers' fans were ejected tonight! :D
Last edited by Pedagogue on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Thanks for excellent report as usual, Leamore.

Who's this Bacchus fella that replaced Weston. Never heard of him, is he one of Merson's old drinking buddies? :wink:

This 4-5-1 system will never catch on.

WFC4Eva

Re: Reserves v. Willenhall Town 3.10.07 - B'ham Senior Cup

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:46 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:P.S. No Saddlers' fans were ejected tonight! :D

:D

were there many there?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:57 pm

Hassan Bacchus (I THINK that it's the correct spelling but I'm not 100% certain) is a young lad, released by Fulham.

Think now - young, black, left-footed, skillful, released from a London club's Academy - remind you of anyone? :) However, unlike Ishy, this lad appears to have an excellent temperament!

No attendance was announced. In fact the game was poorly publicised and the attendance was a little below what I expected. Not a big Saddlers' following, tonight.

WFC4Eva

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:59 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Hassan Bacchus (I THINK that it's the correct spelling but I'm not 100% certain) is a young lad, released by Fulham.

Think now - young, black, left-footed, skillful, released from a London club's Academy - remind you of anyone? :) However, unlike Ishy, this lad appears to have an excellent temperament!

No attendance was announced. In fact the game was poorly publicised and the attendance was a little below what I expected. Not a big Saddlers' following, tonight.

True, I didn't even know the game was tonight. I wouldn't of been there cause I was out for a meal for my birthday.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Re: Reserves v. Willenhall Town 3.10.07 - B'ham Senior Cup

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Birmingham Senior Cup – Round 1

Willenhall Town 0 3 Walsall Reserves
(played at Noose Lane)

Walsall (4-5-1)
Bertrand Bossu

Richard Taundry
Rhys Weston (Capt.) (Hassan Bacchus, 60 min.)
Ian Roper
Netan Sansara

Alex Nicholls
David McDermott (Harry Harris, 55 min.)
Charlton Davies
Gylfi Eirnarsson (sp?)
Chris Hanna (Leon Quarless, 55 min.)

Junior Mawete

Unused Substitutes:-
Tom Schwarz
Tom Cox (gk)

Manager:- Jimmy Mullen

Goal log:-
35 min. - 0-1 - a cracking free-kick from 25 yards out by McDermott. Fox would have been proud of it!
47 min. - 0-2 - McDermott turned provider as he put Nicholls clear to score with a super cross-shot.
63 min. - 0-3 - Weston seized on a poor clearance to fire home from just outside the penalty-area.

Weston scored after he'd been subbed off? Impressive - we should definitely hang on to him!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Well done, Plastic Hawk - you win the gold merit star for spotting the deliberate mistake! :D

(Weston was substituted in the 70th minute)

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:Well done, Plastic Hawk - you win the gold merit star for spotting the deliberate mistake! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to be so pedantic!! :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:06 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:Well done, Plastic Hawk - you win the gold merit star for spotting the deliberate mistake! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to be so pedantic!! :wink:

Don't apologise - leamore wouldn't!

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:44 am

great stuff Leamore , great result.

Grand Master J

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:15 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Thanks for excellent report as usual, Leamore.

Who's this Bacchus fella that replaced Weston. Never heard of him, is he one of Merson's old drinking buddies? :wink:

This 4-5-1 system will never catch on.

Beat me to the drinking joke, damn it :D

Return to 2007-08 Season