Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Doncaster Rovers (A) League 1 - Tuesday 2/10/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:07 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Stu wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:Wrack - pulled hamstring, out for a month possibly.

shame , his best performances the season have been at right back imho.
Weston is steady enough .

You think? I don't see him as an improvement on Pead to be honest. How clumsy was his foul to concede the penalty last night for those there, I'm stuck in a very wet overcast France for the week unfortunately so couldn't laugh at Sheff being chucked out...

I think he's an improvement on Pead. Probably he'll be a below average, but not dreadful, League 1 right back this season, just as Pead was a slightly below average, but not dreadful, League 2 right back (despite his ridiculous appearance in the PFA Team of the Season :roll: ).[/quote0

Why ridiculous? It's voted for by the players themselves. The ones who had to play against him. Surely they are a far better judge than you or Dave?

Pead was ok. He put some good match winning defensive performances for us and wouldn't have been a bad player to have around in the squad this season in my opinion. Having said that I think when Weston has settled in and gets fully fit he'll be a good signing. Wrack was struggling at right back last night and accounted for a lot of the dodgy spells in the first half. Whether his injury was there throughout and it got worse I don't know but he wasn't playing well before he went off.

How Pead made that PFA side I'll never know , for most of the season , he was not our first choice right back , had Roper and Dann not been injured i don't think his appearance total would have reached 15.
DD got his released list spot on IMHO , the fact that Pead is struggling to break into Brentford first team speaks volumes

Pead was injured most of pre season, Dave, which is why he's not appearing. Otherwise, I think you are right. All of the players who left in the Summer seem to have ended up at their right levels - including Dean Keates.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:08 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:Why ridiculous? It's voted for by the players themselves. The ones who had to play against him. Surely they are a far better judge than you or Dave?

Pead was ok. He put some good match winning defensive performances for us and wouldn't have been a bad player to have around in the squad this season in my opinion. Having said that I think when Weston has settled in and gets fully fit he'll be a good signing. Wrack was struggling at right back last night and accounted for a lot of the dodgy spells in the first half. Whether his injury was there throughout and it got worse I don't know but he wasn't playing well before he went off.

The fact that the Divisional XI is selected by the players of that division gives it a veneer of credibility that does not bear close scrutiny. How many of the, say, 400 players of League Two, have actually SEEN Craig Pead play for our first team? Only those that actually played against him. Even then, he did not always play a full game. The Divisional Select XI is a joke - the least credible of all such exercises, at the end of the season. If such an exercise is to have any credibility at all then the selection must be made by people who actually watch the players play. Clearly, this would exclude the vast majority of the players, who would be engaged elsewhere - playing for their own clubs! :)

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:33 am

Why ridiculous? It's voted for by the players themselves. The ones who had to play against him. Surely they are a far better judge than you or Dave?

Just for the record, I did not write the above - although it seems to be credited to me on everyone else's replies. I certainly don't agree with the bit in bold.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:51 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:

Just for the record, I did not write the above - although it seems to be credited to me on everyone else's replies. I certainly don't agree with the bit in bold.

I must admit that it didn't seem like your usual very sensible opinions, PH! :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:54 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

In that case I'd better not tell you who did write it.

He'd probably accuse both of us of being CLUELESS... :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:07 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Stu wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:Wrack - pulled hamstring, out for a month possibly.

shame , his best performances the season have been at right back imho.
Weston is steady enough .

You think? I don't see him as an improvement on Pead to be honest. How clumsy was his foul to concede the penalty last night for those there, I'm stuck in a very wet overcast France for the week unfortunately so couldn't laugh at Sheff being chucked out...

I think he's an improvement on Pead. Probably he'll be a below average, but not dreadful, League 1 right back this season, just as Pead was a slightly below average, but not dreadful, League 2 right back (despite his ridiculous appearance in the PFA Team of the Season :roll: ).[/quote0

How Pead made that PFA side I'll never know , for most of the season , he was not our first choice right back , had Roper and Dann not been injured i don't think his appearance total would have reached 15.
DD got his released list spot on IMHO , the fact that Pead is struggling to break into Brentford first team speaks volumes

Pead was injured most of pre season, Dave, which is why he's not appearing. Otherwise, I think you are right. All of the players who left in the Summer seem to have ended up at their right levels - including Dean Keates.

Of course you are correct about Peads injury Neil , but i feel he's had enough time to make an impact , clearly he has not.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:00 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Well?...you are.

gray
Glitterati

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:33 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Sorry Gray but I am also with Sheffield here, we did not play badly in the 1st half in my opinion, the spell after we scored we looked very good. Only poor thing about the first half was that we gave 2 stupid goals away, apart from that the first 45 minutes was a decent away performance.

Some of the Donny fans on the football forums are being very complimentary about us, fair play to them they say they were awful second half but some do acknowledge that we tore them to pieces

There was a 10-15 minute spell yes but when we got our equaliser it was completely against the run of play. It was our first shot of the game and then we improved for a few minutes and then by the end of the half after they had scored again I really wanted half time to come. We played quite well for a 1/3 of the half but id still say that overall we were poor, especially if you use the 2nd half as a measure :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:53 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Well?...you are.

:lol:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:46 pm

There was a 10-15 minute spell yes but when we got our equaliser it was completely against the run of play. It was our first shot of the game and then we improved for a few minutes and then by the end of the half after they had scored again I really wanted half time to come. We played quite well for a 1/3 of the half but id still say that overall we were poor, especially if you use the 2nd half as a measure

Like I say I considered it a good away performance in the first halfm we did not really look in danger (the soft goals apart), and created a few chances ourselves. We must surely expect to have periods when the home team is on top when we go away. I wasn't bothered about how we had played at half time, only about giving away 2 stupid goals and going in 2-1 down when we should have been level. I would argue that we played ok or well for most of the first half, although as you say maybe not if you use the second half as a measure :lol:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:18 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Leamore Saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Well?...you are.

:lol:

:D

Glad you took it the way it wasn't intended. :D

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season