Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool (a)- League 1 29/09/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Whats Hall doing on the bench instead of Nicholls?

As an impact player who would you rather have, lightning quick winger Nicholls, or tortoise quick Hall?

**Now I've said that, Hall will pop up in the 90th minute with the winner** :lol:
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:46 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Young_Tong wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Because Tong, unless the players show passion, pride, play adventurous football at speed, then the fans wont respond.

The problem is, Money's football last season was prodominantly slow, predictable and boring, but because it was against poor sides it resulted in victories. So last seasons football kinda killed off some of the atmosphere, and this seasons football has cremated it.

So what you're saying is that DD's comments to the players to make them nervous are well justified because He doesn't want his team to attack gung ho?

Well not quite, what Im saying is he feels the fans are overly critical - we know that from numerous comments hes made - and I just feel he passes that on to the players, which in turn makes them nervous.

I agree with Phil on this. DD should be giving these youngsters confidence, not adding to their nerves. It's like throwing petrol on a fire imo. Even if DD doesn't say anything directly to them, I'm sure they read papers, watch the news, use the internet....etc

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:47 pm

I'd stick mcdermoot on after 70 depending on how preceddings are taking place.

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Goose277 wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Young_Tong wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Because Tong, unless the players show passion, pride, play adventurous football at speed, then the fans wont respond.

The problem is, Money's football last season was prodominantly slow, predictable and boring, but because it was against poor sides it resulted in victories. So last seasons football kinda killed off some of the atmosphere, and this seasons football has cremated it.

So what you're saying is that DD's comments to the players to make them nervous are well justified because He doesn't want his team to attack gung ho?

Well not quite, what Im saying is he feels the fans are overly critical - we know that from numerous comments hes made - and I just feel he passes that on to the players, which in turn makes them nervous.

I agree with Phil on this. DD should be giving these youngsters confidence, not adding to their nerves. It's like throwing petrol on a fire imo. Even if DD doesn't say anything directly to them, I'm sure they read papers, watch the news, use the internet....etc

I absolutely agree with Phil but what I'm saying is there is a valid reason for DD to say "Ignore the fans' comments"

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:50 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Whats Hall doing on the bench instead of Nicholls?

As an impact player who would you rather have, lightning quick winger Nicholls, or tortoise quick Hall?

**Now I've said that, Hall will pop up in the 90th minute with the winner** :lol:

I've not been that impressed with Nicholls from what I saw of him pre-season and the home game he came on in, so I'm not surprised he's not on the bench. Not that I'm saying I prefer Hall though!! :?

Perko Snr

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:51 pm

Did I hear right on WM. Wolves live today, AND Tuesday night again. Can't they find a Wolves reserve game as well somewhere on Wednesday??

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Perko Snr wrote:Did I hear right on WM. Wolves live today, AND Tuesday night again. Can't they find a Wolves reserve game as well somewhere on Wednesday??

Dingle Heaven....or hell as the case may be! :roll:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:56 pm

How we playing anyone ?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:56 pm

Pedro wrote:How we playing anyone ?

Really well apparently, Mooney has missed a sitter.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:01 pm

Young_Tong wrote:I absolutely agree with Phil but what I'm saying is there is a valid reason for DD to say "Ignore the fans' comments"

Absolutely not.

At home, any manager should be telling their team they can beat the opposition - no matter who they are. He should be building up their confidence, telling them they are the best, telling them to get the crowd going and get the adrenalin from the home fans noise...

NOT telling them to "shut out the fans, ignore their criticism, try not to concede" etc. It's just setting them up for a fall.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Young_Tong wrote:
Goose277 wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Young_Tong wrote:

I absolutely agree with Phil but what I'm saying is there is a valid reason for DD to say "Ignore the fans' comments"

You're right, he does have a valid reason to say that but I think the point is, passing negative stuff on to the players adds to the pressure which is exactly what they don't need at the moment.

Especially the younger ones

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:05 pm

But still, what valid reason is there to say "ignore the fans". Its ridiculous.

If you ignore the fans, whats the point of playing at home?

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:07 pm

philthesaddler wrote:But still, what valid reason is there to say "ignore the fans". Its ridiculous.

If you listen to every critiscism coming from the 4000-6000 people this will help their confidence?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:12 pm

Young_Tong wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:But still, what valid reason is there to say "ignore the fans". Its ridiculous.

If you listen to every critiscism coming from the 4000-6000 people this will help their confidence?

But that happens everywhere,

Its ridiculous to suggest that Bescot is the only ground in the world where a team isn't playing very well, and the fans are making their feelings known.

The big difference is that at Walsall we have the likes of Mooney, Butler, Hall etc, who have either been there and done it, and therefore can't be arsed and would rather have a dig back at the fans rather than prove the fans wrong with their football, or in the case of Butler, would rather be elsewhere and therefore can't be arsed to put the effort in.

When im playing football and someone says 'your cack' it doesn't make me worse, it makes me even more determined to prove them wrong, to go that extra yard. Its no different for pros. If they here criticism from the terraces, it should spur them on.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Phil's absolutely right in his conclusions - even if he is just speculating that DD's telling the players that kind of thing.

Talking about what might happen if things go badly wrong isn't going to get them into the right frame of mind. Before the game they should be discussing how they're going to achieve success and what the consequences of that will be - i.e. if they start well then the crowd will get behind the team and drive them on to victory by the end of the afternoon.

If you're thinking about failure before you start out on any activity then you'll more than likely fail. If you're visualizing success then it's more likely that you will succeed.

Goose277
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:14 pm

If you're trying to help a player who maybe hasn't been playing well, then saying stuff like "We know how good you are, don't listen to them" is, (I think) very valid.

loop
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Referee gone off :?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Goose277 wrote:

If you're trying to help a player who maybe hasn't been playing well, then saying stuff like "We know how good you are, don't listen to them" is, (I think) very valid.

Yes, dead right.

But you're confusing your self.

Your managerial talk quote, you can only say that once they have been playing for 45 minutes - NOT before the kick off.

Saying to a player before kick off "Dont listen to the fans having a go at you" just destroys his confidence before he's started because all hes going to think about is playing badly, when the frame of mind he should be in is one of confidence and arrogance, not scared of what fans might think.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Goose277 wrote:

Not just before the game. They should be talking about examples of when the player's done good things in past games and telling him that he can do them again in the upcoming game.

The fans shouldn't even come into it - a professional footballer should know better than to listen to what's going on in the crowd anyway. Maybe they feed off the energy that comes from the terraces, but if they're concentrating on the game then they should be tuning out individual comments - they're just a distraction, even if they're positive.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:23 pm

In and out of the relegation zone depending on goals elsewhere. Currently 21st.

Seems to be a decent game at the back, less sure going forward.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:23 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:Phil's absolutely right in his conclusions - even if he is just speculating...

He does a lot of that, then writes "FACT!" at the end..

loop
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:24 pm

Well done Incey :o

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:24 pm

Incey getting busier

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:25 pm

loop wrote:Well done Incey :o

You're before or after my commentary!

Exile
Jobsworth

Exile wrote:
loop wrote:Well done Incey :o

You're before or after my commentary!

Well done Porter!

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Lucky escape a la Porter.

Hall on for Deeney??

loop
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Young_Tong wrote:Lucky escape a la Porter.

Hall on for Deeney??

:?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:27 pm

I'd say after!

Substitution coming up.

I see Sonko's better.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:27 pm

loop wrote:
Young_Tong wrote:Lucky escape a la Porter.

Hall on for Deeney??

:?

Protect the point with 20 minutes to go?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Well done the 210 Saddlers who made it. Nice to see that even at the top of the table Hartlepool's support is poor - sub 5000. Of course, they'd say that's down to their opposition. :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season