Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool (a)- League 1 29/09/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:21 pm

Nice to see "PhilIdon'tgettomanygamesallegedsaddler"

Spouting his usual drivel.

I suppose I should respond to his myriad abuse on here last week, I can't be arsed, suffice to say here's my middle digit, lick it, suck it, and swivel on it.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Nice to see "PhilIdon'tgettomanygamesallegedsaddler"

I suppose I should respond to his myriad abuse on here last week, I can't be arsed, suffice to say here's my middle digit, lick it, suck it, and swivel on it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Immature... but funny! :wink:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:25 pm

Anyway, seeing as you're back home Geordie, how did the game go? As good a performance as it sounded? Did Mattis look ok?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:35 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:Anyway, seeing as you're back home Geordie, how did the game go? As good a performance as it sounded? Did Mattis look ok?

Its just typical Walsall, tough love. Something the modern generation have no conception of amongst other things.

I detest the modern generation and love Walsall FC.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:38 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:Anyway, seeing as you're back home Geordie, how did the game go? As good a performance as it sounded? Did Mattis look ok?

Its just typical Walsall, tough love. Something the modern generation have no conception of amongst other things.

I detest the modern generation and love Walsall FC.

Quality :lol:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:04 pm

Thought RM's post match interview was very telling. "I/we're not idiots...easy to drop players not doing their stuff...introducing the kids".

I liked what I heard and it was one of the first interviews I've heard him make that was precise and not tinged with blather. Well done RM, stick to what you say and we'll be okay.

Bonser out.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:09 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Nice to see "PhilIdon'tgettomanygamesallegedsaddler"

...and breath, count to 10, and then have an early night!! :lol:

Quality stuff as always from our Geordie maestro!! :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Just got back, a brilliant day :lol:

We played well especially first half. Team looked balanced, everyone in their own positions :shock: :lol: and they fought for everything. Apart from a couple of good saves from Clayton second half our defence coped well. Mattis looked solid, put himself about a bit and was pretty quick. On that showing he can do a job for us and is definately an improvement. Not sure he and Dobbo will create too much but at least they won't get walked over. We created some good chances, especially first half. I would stick to the same team that started against Donny. As I said we actually looked balanced and dangerous and had a bit of pace about us. We certainly caused them plenty of problems which considering their league position is no mean feat. Hall didn't look like he was going to do anything when he came on. I had just turned to MMF and said what the hell has he bought Hall on for just before he ran through and scored :oops: :lol:

So DD got it right today and credit where its due to him and the players. Brilliant singing "1 - 0 to the champions" at the end, and there were some classic songs to Sonko :lol:

Met a few of the Poolie bunker lot beforehand in the boozer and they were a really friendly bunch. God knows how Kiansmom and friends will get all the old football shirts for Addis saddler back to Walsall, and more to the point how they will get them all to Ethiopia :shock: :? I like Hartlepool away, a proper club with proper fans

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:32 pm

Fantastic result , if this don't kick start our season nothing will.

Thought about Blazing whilst listening to the commentary , I know this result will mean a lot to Mark and his family .

well done lads , well done DD.

UP THE SUPER SADDLERS.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:I am going - therefore we will win.

Oh dear. How bad were we, Steve? :(

Hope you had a nice day out anyway.

Just thought I'd post this now, and save time on Saturday evening, when I can just quote this again.

I had a great time, but we were really poor. Still I guess it's 3 points in the bag, and that goal that Clayton scored, I'm amazed the ref allowed the deflection off the stand :lol:

Hall in the 90th minute, eh? Truth is stranger than fiction! :wink:

Great result, well done those who went!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:51 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:I am going - therefore we will win.

Oh dear. How bad were we, Steve? :(

Hope you had a nice day out anyway.

Just thought I'd post this now, and save time on Saturday evening, when I can just quote this again.

I had a great time, but we were really poor. Still I guess it's 3 points in the bag, and that goal that Clayton scored, I'm amazed the ref allowed the deflection off the stand :lol:

Hall in the 90th minute, eh? Truth is stranger than fiction! :wink:

Great result, well done those who went!
Great result....its always the same....you often get a result when you have given up all hope before the game starts.... :D ....I think DD needs to get at least one maybe two more players in before next week.....because if we dont....and we start another losing streak....then i cant see us recovering.

sack

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:04 pm

now then, now then, now then, now that's a bit more like it, performances like that are what make me proud to say i'm a SADDLER, absolutely no complaints, gerrard came of age today, sonko what a player, ishy what a hair cut and player, mooney looked more like 26 today, they were all spot on, millwall was one thing but that was all round better and more convincing, well done the lads, well done DD and up the saddlers.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:07 pm

I had felt really pessimistic before the game but really enjoyed that performance. Thought we were excellent in the first 20 minutes or so with a lot of movement and creativity. Definitely the better side in the first half.Was worried that we might fade away after that but we withstood a period of intense Hartlepool pressure in the second half thanks to a couple of excellent saves from Ince and the defence being prepared to get their bodies in the way at crucial points.
I must admit having read comments on here my heart sank when Paul Hall came on, but he took his opportunity clinically. A magical late finish.
If, & it's a big if, we can continue to play with the spirit we showed this afternoon then we should be comfortable in this division. It was the first time I'd seen us this season & based on that performance I would not change the line up for the Doncaster game.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:16 pm

Decent game IMO - fairly even, probably would have been hapy with 0-0 or 1-1 result, but fantastic to grab a late winner. Some quality singing from some UTS residents including "sonkos gonna eat ya" at the ref when he got a decision wrong :lol: A long trip but worthwhile.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:19 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:Just got back, a brilliant day :lol:

We played well especially first half. Team looked balanced, everyone in their own positions :shock: :lol: and they fought for everything. Apart from a couple of good saves from Clayton second half our defence coped well. Mattis looked solid, put himself about a bit and was pretty quick. On that showing he can do a job for us and is definately an improvement. Not sure he and Dobbo will create too much but at least they won't get walked over. We created some good chances, especially first half. I would stick to the same team that started against Donny. As I said we actually looked balanced and dangerous and had a bit of pace about us. We certainly caused them plenty of problems which considering their league position is no mean feat. Hall didn't look like he was going to do anything when he came on. I had just turned to MMF and said what the hell has he bought Hall on for just before he ran through and scored :oops: :lol:

So DD got it right today and credit where its due to him and the players. Brilliant singing "1 - 0 to the champions" at the end, and there were some classic songs to Sonko :lol:

Met a few of the Poolie bunker lot beforehand in the boozer and they were a really friendly bunch. God knows how Kiansmom and friends will get all the old football shirts for Addis saddler back to Walsall, and more to the point how they will get them all to Ethiopia :shock: :? I like Hartlepool away, a proper club with proper fans

I agree. Top effort from their fans re the shirts and well done to those that collected them. Friendly ground, nice staff, good result :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:23 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote:Decent game IMO - fairly even, probably would have been hapy with 0-0 or 1-1 result, but fantastic to grab a late winner. Some quality singing from some UTS residents including "sonkos gonna eat you" at the ref when he got a decision wrong :lol: A long trip but worthwhile.

Just got back. A very worthwhile trip and three fantastic points.

Highlights were seeing Steve on the bridge, meeting all the pooliebunker mob, collecting loads of shirts, eating Blazing's foot long sausage off the floor, singing to/at Sonko/Hall/poolie fans, getting abused/giving abuse to some outraged and gutted poolie kids, getting lost in Nottingham on the way back :D What a day!

sack

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:36 pm

by the way i've heard of fans leaving early but never refs, anyone know were he went?.

Morty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:54 pm

well I've been back for hours (admittedly the 40-minute journey tends to help!) but only just got on to post my thoughts.

This is was my first match of the season and presume from what I've read that this was a different performance to what everybody else has been seeing so far this season!! Anyway a few thoughts:-

Ince - solid performance, a few good saves as well - no dodgy decision making, but his kicking still worries me!! :o

Dann and Gerrard - excellent performances, rarely troubled and dealt with balls into the box well.

Fox - good, solid performance. Tried his best to get the down the flanks.

Wrack - I'm sorry, but if our normal right-back is fit why on earth why we were playing Wracky here!?? His passing was poor in the first half and I can't remember him managing to make a tackle in the second half - had Gerrard covering for him on a few occasions.

Ishy - decent performance, drifted out of the game when Pool took control more in the 2nd half. Do wish he'd cross it more often rather than trying to beat his man all the time - but that's personal preference.

Sonko - decent performance. first time I've seen him play and thought he looked quite good.

Dobbo & Dwayne - both played reasonably well. I think we've made a good loan signing here.

Mooney - worked hard, missed a good chance but never gave up and got the assist at the end.

Deeney - also worked hard. as we didn't create huge amounts going forward at times there were periods where he didn't see huge amounts of the ball but I do think he's got potential.

Subs:-

I did wonder why he brought Hall on as he didn't particulary do much, but he did score the goal so who am I to complain!! :) McDermott and Bradley both did okay without being spectacular.

Hmmm...that was a bit more than a few thoughts wasn't it!!?? :wink: All in all a decent performance - especially defensive wise, not many occasions when we looked like conceding. Although I did worry that we were retreating into our shell as the 2nd half went on!!

Enjoyed the game, Saddlers away fans are great fun - especially with the chanting. Nice to meet Linda and Rachel. ANd I'm taking my son to every match possible as I dont think he's ever seen Walsall lose! :shock:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:56 pm

sack wrote:by the way i've heard of fans leaving early but never refs, anyone know were he went?.

He was the object of mirth and derision on the radio commentary. No idea what happened there. I suspect he had a runny bottom.

Morty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:08 pm

Exile wrote:
sack wrote:by the way i've heard of fans leaving early but never refs, anyone know were he went?.

He was the object of mirth and derision on the radio commentary. No idea what happened there. I suspect he had a runny bottom.

I didn't see him pick up an injury - to be honest it was a bit of a mystery! :?

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:14 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:Decent game IMO - fairly even, probably would have been hapy with 0-0 or 1-1 result, but fantastic to grab a late winner. Some quality singing from some UTS residents including "sonkos gonna eat you" at the ref when he got a decision wrong :lol: A long trip but worthwhile.

Highlights were seeing Steve on the bridge, meeting all the pooliebunker mob, collecting loads of shirts, eating Blazing's foot long sausage off the floor, singing to/at Sonko/Hall/poolie fans, getting abused/giving abuse to some outraged and gutted poolie kids, getting lost in Nottingham on the way back :D What a day!
"eating Blazing's foot long sausage off the floor"...ooh-err mrs.... :shock:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:14 am

Its interesting the way we fought for everything, its almost as if something happened midweek :shock:

cancol

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:40 am

:lol: A great result that should be enjoyed by all W.F.C. fans, I was fearing the worst but it seems that the introduction of Dann and Gerrard to the back four has produced a more stable defence.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:44 am

Just wanted to echo what everyone else has said,great day out. Somone who shall remain nameless taking the pee out of Hall just before he scored! food was hot, met Morty and his son who he will now be bringing to EVERY game!!!.Poolie lads were fantastic and really welcoming.And a chorus of "1-0 to the champions" :lol:

Staffs_Saddler

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:06 am

philthesaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Whats Hall doing on the bench instead of Nicholls?

As an impact player who would you rather have, lightning quick winger Nicholls, or tortoise quick Hall?

**Now I've said that, Hall will pop up in the 90th minute with the winner** :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Phil,

Can you let me have your lotto predictions for Wed and sat please? :lol: :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:14 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:

I'm glad you talked me out of jumping now - it was a good game after all :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:19 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

I'm glad you talked me out of jumping now - it was a good game after all :lol:

Idve thought you were happy, you had fun driving when we saw you xx

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:29 am

sid swifty wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

"eating Blazing's foot long sausage off the floor"...ooh-err mrs.... :shock:

Was tasty :wink:

All I would say is to anyone who was ready to throw the towel in. Yesterday was what following Walsall is all about, I could quite happily stop going to home games, but I could never give up these away days. Regardless of the result was a fantastic day, the result was the cherry on top

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:41 am

Excellent result, after what sounded like a very positive performance.

It was great to see Ishmel and Deeney on the team sheet. At last Richard Money seems to be putting right some of the mistakes that have been so costly recently. I have great hope that we can now have a good season. Once DD gets the team selection and tactics right, he is a pretty decent manager.

If we could get two good new players, one to partner Deeney up front and one to go with Mattis in midfield, then I would not rule out the play-offs. There are still 38 matches left.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:53 am

Bernie wrote:Excellent result, after what sounded like a very positive performance.

It was great to see Ishmel and Deeney on the team sheet. At last Richard Money seems to be putting right some of the mistakes that have been so costly recently. I have great hope that we can now have a good season. Once DD gets the team selection and tactics right, he is a pretty decent manager.

If we could get two good new players, one to partner Deeney up front and one to go with Mattis in midfield, then I would not rule out the play-offs. There are still 38 matches left.

I think his haircut had a Samson like effect on him :(

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season