Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool (a)- League 1 29/09/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:44 pm

we have pace on both flanks and upfront with Deeney.

Come on you whites , up the super saddlers

Jimbo Jones

Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:47 pm

Come on You SUPER SADDLERS!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:00 pm

No Kearns on Saddlersworld - hooray!

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:01 pm

Get the subs on Merson

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:02 pm

Come on lads, prove us wrong.

VanZant

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:08 pm

According to the BBC Butler not even on the bench - it's Bradley????

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:11 pm

WM make me loff. :lol:

Home of live football , yeah is your a dingle :twisted:

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:12 pm

I think that's a very positive team selection. Dobbo should help protect the back four with help from Mattis who, (If he is a box to box player) should provide support for the front two as well. We know what Asbo and Sonko can do and I've been looking forward to seeing Mooney and Deeny together. The experience and hold up play of Mooney should, I repeat should, work well with Deeney's pace and eye for goal.

Not convinced with Wrack at right back but as I haven't seen him play there I'll go along with it.

UP THE SADDLERS

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:13 pm

Bernie wrote:Team:
Ince
Wrack
Gerrard
Dann
Fox
Sonko
Dobson
Mattis
Ishmel
Mooney
Deeney

Weston and Butler dropped, Ishmel and Deeney in. At last.

Looks a more balanced side to me. Pace on either wing and (hopefully) players who can complement one another in central midfield and up front. Not sure about Wrack at full back (especially behind Sonko) but it shows attacking intent at least.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:14 pm

bright start , Mooney's gone close .

VanZant

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:15 pm

Not convinced if you ask me.

At the beginning of the season (6 weeks ago) - no one would have picked this side. Desparate measures, trying to find some sort of formulae to stop the rot. Hope I'm wrong but all I can see is 2 or 3 nil defeat.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:16 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Ince
Wrack
Gerrard
Dann
Fox
Sonko
Dobson
Mattis
Ishmel
Mooney
Deeney

Looks a more balanced side to me. Pace on either wing and (hopefully) players who can complement one another in central midfield and up front. Not sure about Wrack at full back (especially behind Sonko) but it shows attacking intent at least.

That's what I said Plastic. I hate it when people steal my thunder and undermine me :evil:

Leaving in a huff

:D :D :D

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:17 pm

VanZant wrote:According to the BBC Butler not even on the bench - it's Bradley????
Yes, that is what it says on the Match Live console. I suppose that means that Butler is not dropped, but is ill or injured. Unless he is going to do a Sonner (I wish).

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:19 pm

Goose277 wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Ince
Wrack
Gerrard
Dann
Fox
Sonko
Dobson
Mattis
Ishmel
Mooney
Deeney

That's what I said Plastic. I hate it when people steal my thunder and undermine me :evil:

Leaving in a huff

:D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You said it first - if anyone's had their thunder stolen (and should be leaving in a huff) it's me! :wink:

Goose277
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:25 pm

WM said we're in control :shock:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:26 pm

Goose277 wrote:I think that's a very positive team selection. Dobbo should help protect the back four with help from Mattis who, (If he is a box to box player) should provide support for the front two as well. We know what Asbo and Sonko can do and I've been looking forward to seeing Mooney and Deeny together. The experience and hold up play of Mooney should, I repeat should, work well with Deeney's pace and eye for goal.

Not convinced with Wrack at right back but as I haven't seen him play there I'll go along with it.

UP THE SADDLERS

It is a very positive selection. Finally Ish gets a start, Deeney back in.

It does worry me tho that he doesnt want to start these players at home. Young players can really benefit from playing in front of their own fans as opposed to away from home, it can build their confidence really well.

I'm convinced Money tells his players to ignore Walsall fans when playing at bescot, I reckon he tells the players the fans at home get on the players backs too easily - tell them to block it out, this then makes our players nervous. The way he blames the fans in the media is indicative of his attitude, and I wouldn't be surprise if he says similar stuff to the players.

It would explain the nervous, boring home performances, and the more attacking and adventurous selections and tactics away from home.

If we lose today, what odds on Deeney & ish starting at home next week?

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:28 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Goose277 wrote:I think that's a very positive team selection. Dobbo should help protect the back four with help from Mattis who, (If he is a box to box player) should provide support for the front two as well. We know what Asbo and Sonko can do and I've been looking forward to seeing Mooney and Deeny together. The experience and hold up play of Mooney should, I repeat should, work well with Deeney's pace and eye for goal.

UP THE SADDLERS

It does worry me tho that he doesnt want to start these players at home. Young players can really benefit from playing in front of their own fans as opposed to away from home, it can build their confidence really well.

I'm convinced Money tells his players to ignore Walsall fans when playing at bescot, I reckon he tells the players the fans at home get on the players backs too easily - tell them to block it out, this then makes our players nervous. The way he blames the fans in the media is indicative of his attitude, and I wouldn't be surprise if he says similar stuff to the players.

It would explain the nervous, boring home performances, and the more attacking and adventurous selections and tactics away from home.

If this is the case why don't our fans try and prove him wrong?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Thought butler looked better then the sluggish and overweight mooney last week, i would have gone weston at right back still, and butler instead of mooney. Is mcdermott on the bench.

Goose277
Glitterati

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Young_Tong wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

UP THE SADDLERS

All fans get on players backs if they're not doin well. It happens at Anfield, Old trafford..etc but the difference is you can't hear it there. We're so close to the pitch they hear everything.

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:34 pm

Goose277 wrote:
Young_Tong wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

UP THE SADDLERS

All fans get on players backs if they're not doin well. It happens at Anfield, Old trafford..etc but the difference is you can't hear it there. We're so close to the pitch they hear everything.

Fair point. Apparently we just missed our best chance of the half from Mooney. Sonko's cross.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:34 pm

Because Tong, unless the players show passion, pride, play adventurous football at speed, then the fans wont respond.

The problem is, Money's football last season was prodominantly slow, predictable and boring, but because it was against poor sides it resulted in victories. So last seasons football kinda killed off some of the atmosphere, and this seasons football has cremated it.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:35 pm

we are out of the drop zone!! temorarily ( ok i cant spell )

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:36 pm

Every ground in the country has fans who will moan and groan and make no noise if their team is playing poorly, whether its london road or anfield.

Fans come to be entertained, and if they aint entertained they wont respond.

DD has to realise he's in the entertainment business, if he wants the fans to show their appreciation to the team, then the team has to do something decent first.

I mean, you dont go to the theatre and stand up and clap at the beginning do you?

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:36 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Because Tong, unless the players show passion, pride, play adventurous football at speed, then the fans wont respond.

The problem is, Money's football last season was prodominantly slow, predictable and boring, but because it was against poor sides it resulted in victories. So last seasons football kinda killed off some of the atmosphere, and this seasons football has cremated it.

So what you're saying is that DD's comments to the players to make them nervous are well justified because He doesn't want his team to attack gung ho?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:38 pm

Young_Tong wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Because Tong, unless the players show passion, pride, play adventurous football at speed, then the fans wont respond.

So what you're saying is that DD's comments to the players to make them nervous are well justified because He doesn't want his team to attack gung ho?

Well not quite, what Im saying is he feels the fans are overly critical - we know that from numerous comments hes made - and I just feel he passes that on to the players, which in turn makes them nervous.

Aldridge_saddler
UTS Legend

Young_Tong wrote:

dont mean to but in but do we have the players to play gung ho? it takes them long enough to get up with play let alone get back wen we lose the ball.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sadders wrote:Thought butler looked better then the sluggish and overweight mooney last week, i would have gone weston at right back still, and butler instead of mooney. Is mcdermott on the bench.

He is indeed, along with Bradley. That'll top up the quota of fake tan on the bench then!! :roll:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:40 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Sadders wrote:Thought butler looked better then the sluggish and overweight mooney last week, i would have gone weston at right back still, and butler instead of mooney. Is mcdermott on the bench.

He is indeed, along with Bradley. That'll top up the quota of fake tan on the bench then!! :roll:

So who is on the bench?

Some people have just texted WM asking whats happened to Danny Sonner :lol:

I think I might text in and ask why Simon Osborn isn't starting.

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:40 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Young_Tong wrote:

Well not quite, what Im saying is he feels the fans are overly critical - we know that from numerous comments hes made - and I just feel he passes that on to the players, which in turn makes them nervous.

I agree that he is overly critical of our fans and at times I feel he uses us as a scapegoat for the lack of quality on the pitch however, I also think that fans can be overly critical of players which lends credit to DD's comments about us.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:43 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

So who is on the bench?

Some people have just texted WM asking whats happened to Danny Sonner :lol:

I think I might text in and ask why Simon Osborn isn't starting.

Or maybe text in and ask where Jimmy or Fryatt are today!! :lol:

Bench is: Bossu, Weston, Bradley, McDermott, Hall

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season