Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Shrewsbury Town (Away) - 17/9/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Reserves v. Shrewsbury Town (Away) - 17/9/07

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:46 pm

Had no excuse not to go to see the reserves tonight as it was only 5 minutes away. Was very impressed with what I saw against a Shrewsbury side containing a number of first-teamers.

Team: Bossu, Taundry, Sansara, Bradley, Smith, McDermott (Davies), Nicholls, Dobson, Ishmel (Quarless), Deeney (Harris), Junior.

We took the lead early on as a quality ball was whipped in from the right by the impressive Taundry and was met well by Deeney who planted a form header into the bottom corner via the fingertips of the Shrewsbury 'keeper.
We continued in the first half playing some tidy stuff. The defence never looked troubled with Smith and Bradley showing a good understanding whilst Taundry and Sansara looked comfortable both with and without the ball when they were called upon to defend.
Dobson was very quiet and wasn't as involved as I expected him to be. He grew into the game as time went on, but was out-performed by McDermott who was always available for the ball.
Junior showed some neat touched without looking that threatening. His first touch looked very good but he didn't look particularly strong or quick. Having said that, he kept things simple which was nice to see from someone new to English football.

Shrewsbury didn't have a shot until about 10 minutes into the second half which was well saved by Bossu. Their goal came as an unfortunate slip by Smith let Symes run through one-on-one. He rounded Bossu and finished easily.
It wasn't long before we were back in front however as a neat passing move left McDermott with the space to thread a pass through to Deeney who finished confidently.
The final goal came woth aboit 2 minutes to go when Harris sent Nicholls through and he rounded the goalkeeper before rolling the ball in.

Points worth a mention are as follows:

Ishmel didn't look all that interested. He was involved enough but didn't look particularly threatening. Was substituted about 25-20 minutes into the second half and had a chat with Richard Money straight away. Appeared to be good management, presumably with Money explaining to Ishmel that he need to be less wasteful and more involved.

The defence looked solid. The big encouragement was that I wouldn't feel distressed if any of them were called upon to play for the first team. Taundry was arguably man of the match as he looked very good defensively but also composed on the ball and can cross a ball as well as anyone. The same could be said of Sansara, who dealt well defednng against pace.

Deeney is ready for the first team. I'm not just saying that because I've been calling for him to play a part already this season, but he was a cut above the rest tonight and weighed in with 2 goals. Is good in the air, holds the bal up excellently with his strength, and pressurises defenders. Not only that though, but he also seems to spot a pass before anyone else - his all round awareness makes our play in the final third a lot more effective.

Will look forward to Leamore's report to see what we agree/disagree on.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: Reserves v. Shrewsbury Town (Away) - 17/9/07

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:52 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Deeney is ready for the first team. I'm not just saying that because I've been calling for him to play a part already this season, but he was a cut above the rest tonight and weighed in with 2 goals. Is good in the air, holds the bal up excellently with his strength, and pressurises defenders. Not only that though, but he also seems to spot a pass before anyone else - his all round awareness makes our play in the final third a lot more effective.

I'm looking forward to Deeney featuring more and I'm glad he scored at Millwall. He showed some good touches at Gillingham but didn't look ready in that match though, which he did start. I'm sure most who went would agree?

I'd be happy with another couple of appearances from the bench before starting him again unless we get injuries of course.

I think he will end up being the discovery of the season like Dann was last season. I thought that from seeing his brief appearance at Torquay.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Whats the new yga meadow like .?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:55 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:Whats the new yga meadow like .?

YGA...with stupid big gaps between the stands.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:55 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:Whats the new yga meadow like .?

Even Ygaer than the old one. :lol:

Seriously, it's not bad. Freezing cold but not bad. These new grounds are all much of a muchness if you know what I mean. Once you've been to one, you might as well have been to them all.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:51 pm

I didn't go to this game as I was at another game - in bloody Shrewsbury!!! (about 2 miles away, as the a freezing cold crow would fly). I have been to the New Meadow and I have to say that it is a darn sight better than the YGA Meadow. Just as our cheapskate board copied Scunthorpe to build Bescot, so Morecambe appear to intend to copy the Shrews for their new ground.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:55 am

Cheers for that, Rob. Interesting comments on Taundry. I've only seen him a few times, but I thought he looked good too.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:11 am

Looks like DD is going to have problems with Ishmel.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:10 am

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:53 am

Return to 2007-08 Season