Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oldham Athletic (H) - League 1 - 23/9/07 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
sandwellsaddler

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:12 am

could someone please elaborate on what went on with Mooney at the final whistle, as i didn't see this incident. what stand was the fan in?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:22 am

sandwellsaddler wrote:could someone please elaborate on what went on with Mooney at the final whistle, as i didn't see this incident. what stand was the fan in?

It'll be one of them regular moaners from behind the dugout in the TXT999OAP Stand. probably nearer 80 than 18, and with a rug & flask. :wink:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:25 am

sandwellsaddler wrote:could someone please elaborate on what went on with Mooney at the final whistle, as i didn't see this incident. what stand was the fan in?

I didn't see it, but Aldridge Steve did and he said that the fan was in the lower floors to go, was giving Mooney [and the whole team presumably] a bit of verbal for being so poor, Mooney took exception, and as he was walking off was 'offering out' the fan in question by gesturing, from what steve said he was pointing outside as if to say "ill see you outside"

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:08 am

philthesaddler wrote:Well, well, well Geordie.

You lambasted me last week after the Millwall game for suggesting that we might not possibly have turned the corner, and that the win might be a flash in the pan, and guess what, I was right.

Oh, add to that at the start of the season when I said the team was weaker than that that finished last season, you lambasted me again, telling me I knew nothing and that i couldn't be more wrong, well, well, well, proved right again.

Today was one of the worst performances I have ever witness from a Walsall team. Every single area of the pitch was atrocious. upfront we offered nothing, in midfield we were shocking, in defence we let Ricketts and Davies through every time the ball came over the top and Claytons kicking was awful.

On top of that, we then get the best Walsall player dragged off after 60 minutes and a young striker put in midfield.

We made a team, bottom of the league, look good. Thats how bad we were.

Oldham were nothing special believe me, they were pretty dire, they were just direct, and you know what, they actually tried to score. We spent the afternoon faffing about, wondering what to do with the ball, and only made the keeper save once in 90 minutes.

Richard Money should resign after that performance, it was utterly dreadful and totally unacceptable. People say give him ten games. Well, he's had 9, albeit with two cup games, but every single one was winnable, and we've lost all but 3 of the games. I feel sorry for those that came because of the E&S offer, they certainly wont come back again.

Maybe Geordie [and others] you might just listen to my opinions in future, because I was spot on last saturday in what I said. There are major problems at the club, in the management and in the squad. We have gone backwards since last season, and we are seeing the consequences. Simple as.

Aw bless ya! Running home to your keyboard to type your triumphant "I told you sos" after every defeat, don't you just love it. Enjoy your week Phil, yes you were right if it makes you feel better. WALSALL ARE cackm there you are mate does that make you happy??

Onwards to Hartlepool, hope its better, and as a supporter I will try and play my part on the day.

sack

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:30 am

Spot on fellah, i've bean saying that for weeks now.
DAVEDEAN wrote:So easy to blame defenders after an heavy defeat , so easy to blame strikers when we don't score.
Midfielders are suppose to cover the defence and create for the strikers , I said to my son half way through the first half , whats happend to our midfield , he replied what midfield Dad , sums it up really.

whatdoiknow

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:33 am

Deeney Midfield for Gerard? ok so he plays attacking midfield then behind the front 2!! does he hell.... he plays in front of the back 4 whats that about???? Sonko off when hes playing so well! (fasting or not!) Butler staying on when he lost 90% of ball played to him and did no anticipated runs onto balls flicked on by mooney! Everyone in the ground knew where they were going except Butler! Thank god for a half decent back 4 and keeper! No pace upfront. No clue in midfield. NO WAY WERE STAYING UP !!I have never never walked out during a match in my life and Im glad to say i didnt yesterday but that is the closest ive ever come!! The substitutions just baffle me!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:39 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:

You lambasted me last week after the Millwall game for suggesting that we might not possibly have turned the corner, and that the win might be a flash in the pan, and guess what, I was right.

Oh, add to that at the start of the season when I said the team was weaker than that that finished last season, you lambasted me again, telling me I knew nothing and that i couldn't be more wrong, well, well, well, proved right again.

Today was one of the worst performances I have ever witness from a Walsall team. Every single area of the pitch was atrocious. upfront we offered nothing, in midfield we were shocking, in defence we let Ricketts and Davies through every time the ball came over the top and Claytons kicking was awful.

On top of that, we then get the best Walsall player dragged off after 60 minutes and a young striker put in midfield.

Oldham were nothing special believe me, they were pretty dire, they were just direct, and you know what, they actually tried to score. We spent the afternoon faffing about, wondering what to do with the ball, and only made the keeper save once in 90 minutes.

Richard Money should resign after that performance, it was utterly dreadful and totally unacceptable. People say give him ten games. Well, he's had 9, albeit with two cup games, but every single one was winnable, and we've lost all but 3 of the games. I feel sorry for those that came because of the E&S offer, they certainly wont come back again.

Maybe Geordie [and others] you might just listen to my opinions in future, because I was spot on last saturday in what I said. There are major problems at the club, in the management and in the squad. We have gone backwards since last season, and we are seeing the consequences. Simple as.

Aw bless you! Running home to your keyboard to type your triumphant "I told you sos" after every defeat, don't you just love it. Enjoy your week Phil, yes you were right if it makes you feel better. WALSALL ARE guanom there you are mate does that make you happy??

Onwards to Hartlepool, hope its better, and as a supporter I will try and play my part on the day.

It's not about i told you sos geordie, its about belittling someones honest opinions last week. I said it was a good result at Millwall, but it would count for nothing if we failed to win against Oldham, which was bang on.

I hate it when Walsall lose, but it is even more enfuriating to see people like you defend the undefendable, and then say I know nothing, when I clearly had a point. Yesterdays performance was appalling, and a disgrace to the fans who pay good money to watch Walsall.

At the start of the season I said the squad was poorer than the one that finished last season. Those comments were belittled by you and others, telling me I knew nothing. It's now widely accepted that the squad is weaker in all areas.

If you don't agree with what I say, then fine, but in future you may wish to refer back to these two occassions when I have been proved right before launching your tirade of derision towards my opinions.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:41 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

Aw bless you! Running home to your keyboard to type your triumphant "I told you sos" after every defeat, don't you just love it. Enjoy your week Phil, yes you were right if it makes you feel better. WALSALL ARE guanom there you are mate does that make you happy??

It's not about i told you sos geordie, its about belittling someones honest opinions last week. I said it was a good result at Millwall, but it would count for nothing if we failed to win against Oldham, which was bang on.

I hate it when Walsall lose, but it is even more enfuriating to see people like you defend the undefendable, and then say I know nothing, when I clearly had a point. Yesterdays performance was appalling, and a disgrace to the fans who pay good money to watch Walsall.

At the start of the season I said the squad was poorer than the one that finished last season. Those comments were belittled by you and others, telling me I knew nothing. It's now widely accepted that the squad is weaker in all areas.

If you don't agree with what I say, then fine, but in future you may wish to refer back to these two occassions when I have been proved right before launching your tirade of derision towards my opinions.

So Phil, comparing last seasons team and this seasons.
Which players do you consider better/worse?

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:47 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:

So Phil, comparing last seasons team and this seasons.
Which players do you consider better/worse?

This could take a while. :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 am

I feel this thread will run and run......

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:51 am

Cheesebag wrote:I feel this thread will run and run......

unlike butler

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:55 am

The team that played yesteday versus the team that played at Swindon on the last day of last season

Yesterday / Swindon last may

Ince / Ince
Weston / Pead - Pead anyday. Weston was awful yesterday
Fox / Fox
Dann / Gerrard - Gerrard is never a central midfielder
Westwood / Roper - on yesterdays showing I'd take Westwood
Harper / Sonko (or Hall) - Harper anyday
Keates / Sonner - Keates anyday
Gerrard / Dobson - Dobson is a better midfielder
Demontagnac / Wrack - Ish any day on the left wing
Butler / Butler
Mooney / Benjamin - I'd go for Bejanmin, at least he was direct
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:55 am

Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:I feel this thread will run and run......

unlike butler

:lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:58 am

philthesaddler wrote:The team that played yesteday versus the team that played at Swindon on the last day of last season

Ince / Ince
Fox / Fox
Butler / Butler

Also, notice how much the team has changed.

It's really not good to break up a winning side. Only 4 of the team that played at Swindon on the last day of last season started yesterday [Gerrard, Fox, ince and Butler (one out of position, and a second in his poorer position)] a further 2 were present in the squad [Ish and Dobbo]

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:09 am

philthesaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:The team that played yesteday versus the team that played at Swindon on the last day of last season

Ince / Ince
Fox / Fox
Butler / Butler

It's really not good to break up a winning side. Only 4 of the team that played at Swindon on the last day of last season started yesterday [Gerrard, Fox, ince and Butler (one out of position, and a second in his poorer position)] a further 2 were present in the squad [Ish and Dobbo]

Harper was on loan, you honestly think DD would not have signed him if he could?

Keates and Westwood went because of greed.

Benjamin, if someone said to any Walsall fan at beginning of season - Him or Mooney, I wonder where most votes would have gone! :roll:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:12 am

And Keates is doing a great job at Posh in league 2.warming the bench :roll:

If anyone thinks Westwood , Keates or any other players released would have made any diiference to our start of the season , they are deluded .

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:31 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:If anyone thinks Westwood , Keates or any other players released would have made any diiference to our start of the season , they are deluded .

The trouble with 'ifs' and 'would haves' is that they can't be proven, meaning any substance in the argument is hypothetical.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:31 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:And Keates is doing a great job at Posh in league 2.warming the bench :roll:

If anyone thinks Westwood , Keates or any other players released would have made any diiference to our start of the season , they are deluded .

Doesn't matter what he's doing at posh. He scored 13 for us last season.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:39 am

Phil in all honesty, if you are so precious as you feel "belittled" by someone offering to argue against your opinions then maybe this isn't the place for you. yesterday's defeat doesn't mean the Millwall win "counts for nothing" it still counts for 3 points and wil do until the end of the season.

Yesterday was pants, so why can't you just talk about yesterday, why do you have to keep banging on about last week, last season. players that are gone because they didn't want to play for Walsall FC.

You say you don't do "I told you sos" I would say a fair proportion of what you post on here is rampant self-justification of old arguments and regurgitated points, many of which are either disporoven or just boring and irrelevant.

You now call for the manager's head. What exactly is that going to achieve?? Richard Money got it wrong yesterday, of that I have no doubt, but as a supporter I want to see what he does to get things right between now and next week. If he continues to get things wrong, then yes he will have to go. Don't worry Phil, one day he will go that is for sure - same as evey other successful manager we've had he will be sacked, same as Buckley, Coakley, Graydon, Lee etc. and the other certainty is that when it happens you will be on here saying "I said in February 2007 he had lost the plot, that's me everyone, Philthesaddler football genious, visionary to the UTS messageboard" Let's be honest if you predict Walsall Fc will eventualy fail resulting in the manager being sacked, you will be proven right eventually, even if as in this case you choose to ignore the many occasions that you were wrong in the meantime which is the truely tiresome aspect of your posts.

Leaving that to one side and you more sensible analysis, I agree with some of what you say!!

I said on here last week that I would have kept Benjamin, not in favour of Mooney - but Butler for sure. I don't think Martin Butler wants to play for Walsall FC, and it shows in his performances. That's why I wouldn't have Westwood, keates, or Harper - thay didn't want to play for us so let them go.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:40 am

philthesaddler wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:And Keates is doing a great job at Posh in league 2.warming the bench :roll:

Doesn't matter what he's doing at posh. He scored 13 for us last season.

Or, to flip the coin, it doesn't matter what he did last season, he has done nothing this - in the same league - for a worse team.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:45 am

4143 wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:If anyone thinks Westwood , Keates or any other players released would have made any diiference to our start of the season , they are deluded .

The trouble with 'ifs' and 'would haves' is that they can't be proven, meaning any substance in the argument is hypothetical.

Westwood was never the player he was for us as he was for Hartlepool at centre back why I don't know , he did a good job for us in league 2 covering at full back fair enough , but would he have done so well in league 1 , I think not.
Keates I've seen play for us in league 1 , and IMO he's not good enough.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:01 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:
4143 wrote:

Westwood was never the player he was for us as he was for Hartlepool at centre back why I don't know , he did a good job for us in league 2 covering at full back fair enough , but would he have done so well in league 1 , I think not.
Keates I've seen play for us in league 1 , and IMO he's not good enough.

Keates is probably not good enough for League One now, but he was when he was younger - a regular member of two League One promotion winning teams must count for something.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Keats yesterday would have stood out as one of the better players on the pitch.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Keates might not be good enough technically, but at least he's got some bollocks, all be it small ones, and can grab the game by the scruff.

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:05 pm

1.Mooney and Butler do NOT work together.DD said wait and see on WM before the game.I've seen enough.

2.Gerrard is not a midfield player.

3.Deeney is not a midfield player --scores the winner last week followed by 2 in the reserves and not only starts on the bench but comes on in the midfield????

4.Paul Hall has had it.The facts of life i'm afraid that 90% of 35 year olds cannot perform in the pro game.

5.Alex Nichols is a striker not a winger --heard him talking to Chris Nichol at 1/2 time telling him this.Sounded really cheesed off.

6.Sonko is a professional sportsman and should last 90 mins regardless of Ramadan.We all laughed out loud listening to DD'S excuse to taking him off.10 out of 10 for originality though and making us laugh for the first time yesterday.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:18 pm

moanin old git wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Ince / Ince
Fox / Fox
Butler / Butler

I'm so with you ! As a ref in local leagues, witnessing ups and downs on a regular basis, it is clear that you DO NOT break up a winning squad, no matter how much you fear your players will 'cope' in a higher league.

Letting go of so many of last years squad was a BIG mistake, yes, by all means add to the squad with better players
if you can find them for peanuts (cus thats all Bonser will spend), whilst releasing a few of the 'older' squad players,
or under performing reserves.

What DD has done is turned a successful (albeit by the skin of their teeth on occasions), into an illorganised rabble,
that can't play together, can't score, and can't defend. Not a lot else left really is there?

Still not as bad as Blackpool away a couple of seasons ago, but getting there fast. Weak, feeble, and easy to deafeat,
god, we are going to take some hammerings away from home this season are we not?

Can anyone out there offer any hope at all for this season?

They all play league 2 or non league football , and not all of them are first choice with their new clubs , so how would they have made any difference this season

m&m
Glitterati

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:23 pm

But what about James Constable --9 goals in 6 games for a very average Kiddy side! A blunder of epic proportions again by our glorious leader.
Yes it's the conference but he is a natural goalscorer.Oh let me think --isn't that what we are looking for?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:25 pm

To be honest I dont think I have got the time or patience to write about everything that went wrong yesterday but I will say that DD cost us the game. His three substitutions really baffled me and I dont think anyone in the stadium understood them. When my old man saw Paul Hall warming up he said "is he coming on for Roper", and to be honest after the first two substitutions it wouldnt have surprised me.

DD has got to the desperate stage. Hes got to this stage alot quicker than Merscum did and it worries me alot. With this side we will be relegated long before May.

DD STOP BEING SO LOYAL TO THESE LIGHTWEIGHTS

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:50 pm

My thoughts on yesterday:

Ince: Apart from one decent save from a Ricketts free-kick, ended up having to pick the ball out of his net three times thanks to some poor defending. 6.

Weston: Struggled against their left-winger (Chris Taylor) in the first half but managed to get forward a bit more after the break. The pick of a poor back four. 6.

Roper: The strength of Ricketts caused him problems and was caught out for their first goal. His distribution leaves a lot to be desired at times. 5.

Dann: A clumsy challenge on Ricketts which led to the penalty, but otherwise kept things simple even though his distribution was hit and miss. 6.

Fox: A decent first half in which he made a couple of crucial interventions. However, looked out of sorts after the break defensively. Combined well with Ishmel at times. 6.

Sonko: Looked our most effective player going forward both before and after half-time. I was one of those booing at the decision to take him off! 7.

Sonner: He hardly ever passes the ball forward. He always looks to pass it backwards or sideways. Never creates anything and his set-pieces were awful. 4.

Gerrard: Never a midfield player and looked lost at times in the middle of the park. He either plays at centre back or not at all. 5.

Wrack: Covered every inch of grass and probably my man of the match. Although his running and passing isn't quite as good as it used to be, he makes up for that with pure effort. 7.

Butler: Missed a good chance in the first half and generally faded after the break. Perhaps needs time to gel with Mooney. 5.

Mooney: Had one half chance early in the second half but apart from that was very quiet and didn't see much of the ball. 5.

Subs:

Ishmel: Looked bright at the start of the second half, causing problems down the left wing before fading late on. 6.
Deeney: Like Gerrard, he is not a midfield player and he also looked lost in an unfamiliar role. 5.
Hall: Apart from one decent run, did absolutely nothing. 4.

Overall, it was by far and away our worst home performance of the season to date (at least we looked like scoring against Swansea) which wasn't helped by some clueless decisions from DD.

Gerrard in midfield? No!
Deeney in midfield? No!
Take Sonko off? No!

In my opinion, he should have taken either Butler or Mooney off and put Deeney up front. Perhaps he could have put Dobson on instead of Hall? Ishmel needs to be starting more games even if there are still question marks about his discipline and where have the likes of Bradley and McDermott gone?

I normally give a brief comment about the opposition, but they weren't that much better than us to be honest. They were made to look better than they actually were thanks to us.

Finally, I thought that the officials had a bit of a shocker although to be fair to them they got the major decisions correct.

Roll on Hartlepool!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:29 pm

Plan A for this season was to have Butler and Mooney together in attack. This was never a good idea in theory because they are both old and slow. Those who saw them together during the friendlies could tell that they would not be good enough against league defenders. Each of them has some individual good points but as a combination they are useless.

Before the match DD said that he wanted to see them together for a several full matches so that he could decide whether he needed to strengthen the squad. I assume that part of the reasoning behind the odd substitutions was Richard Money's stubborn determination to stick to this plan.

I cannot believe that DD still needs more time to know that they should never again be on the pitch together.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season