Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (A) League 1 Saturday 15/9/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:44 pm

Great result , well done lads .
Its important we follow this up and beat Oldham next week. the league table looks an whole lot better than before kick off.

UP THE SADDLERS

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:46 pm

delighted.

not as convinced as others that we need to bring in new players. deeney is a perfect example of a player that needs to be given chances. he's certainly taken one today.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:49 pm

Phil - I agree it is silly to talk of playoffs at this stage - but, if you think that, it is also silly to talk of relegation. Just think you should all enjoy it for a while before starting on next week. I do agree that your posts are well constructed criticism, but they do err on the side of negativity (realism in your book) every time.

Scooby
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:49 pm

Well done DD and the lads, fantastic win and now let's push on!!!!!!!

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Much much much much MUCH better!!

Well done the lads and let's hope we can progress from here.

Nice to see Oldham on the bottom - a good day at work for me on Monday methinks!!!!

:D :D :D :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:10 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:Nice to see Oldham on the bottom - a good day at work for me on Monday methinks!!!!

Hopefully an even better one a for you the following Monday. :D

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:13 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:This may not get answered until people start getting back from the game, but does anyone know why Ishy was taken off?

From the way the subject was brushed aside in Money's interview on WM, it was implied there was more to it than a simple tactical decision. Can anyone shed any light on this, or am I reading things where there's nothing to be read?

Sounds like some sort of fall-out to me. Will wait to hear more though.

Was a good decision not to say anything on the radio if that was the case.

Wasn't there but I'll have a punt at what I'm guessing is the reason.

Their goal was scored by an unmarked full-back. I would guess that this meant that one of our wide men hadn't tracked back. Having worked so hard I reckon Money thought a lack of application from Ishy had cost us 2 points and immediately withdrew him.

Like I say, this is a complete shot in the dark, but plausible.

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:14 pm

PT wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:This may not get answered until people start getting back from the game, but does anyone know why Ishy was taken off?

From the way the subject was brushed aside in Money's interview on WM, it was implied there was more to it than a simple tactical decision. Can anyone shed any light on this, or am I reading things where there's nothing to be read?

Their goal was scored by an unmarked full-back. I would guess that this meant that one of our wide men hadn't tracked back. Having worked so hard I reckon Money thought a lack of application from Ishy had cost us 2 points and immediately withdrew him.

Wasn't he taken off in the middle of the half?

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:16 pm

Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:
PT wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

He came off about 1 minute before our second goal.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:18 pm

ws3 wrote:
PT wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Yep, 84th minute

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:19 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:Nice to see Oldham on the bottom - a good day at work for me on Monday methinks!!!!

Hopefully an even better one a for you the following Monday. :D

Let's hope so :D

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:19 pm

ws3 wrote:
PT wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Sorry - I got my info off the BBC which said 54 but that was when he came on - I take it he was replaced by Deeney in the 84th

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:20 pm

ws3 wrote:
PT wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Sorry - I got my info off the BBC which said 54 but that was when he came on - I take it he was replaced by Deeney in the 84th

Yup

Wrack4England

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:22 pm

I know DD dosn't rate ishy as much as we all do but he took him off when he was a original sub. That rarely ever happens unless the player is injured or is playing really badly. I didn't listen to radio WM but did he play that badly :?: One of my mates is a millwall supporter so i have the bragging rights :D

LancsSaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:32 pm

Wrack4England wrote:I know DD dosn't rate ishy as much as we all do but he took him off when he was a original sub. That rarely ever happens unless the player is injured or is playing really badly. I didn't listen to radio WM but did he play that badly :?: One of my mates is a millwall supporter so i have the bragging rights :D

just a guess but could it be that when they equalised money thought a big striker would be better so put deeney up there. however he wouldnt want to lose so would take off an attacking player to bring him on.

i also think that the not tracking back could have made his decison for him, if that actually happened....

Perko Snr

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:02 pm

PT wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Think you could be right PT. Mate of mine at the game said our attack broke down with Ishy on the floor in their box. Ishy didn't bother getting up until it was too late, and they had attacked and scored.

Money didn't look happy my mate said and took Ishy straight off. Love to watch Ishy myself but when will he learn there's more than just the tricks required....

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:22 pm

Perko Snr wrote:
PT wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Think you could be right PT. Mate of mine at the game said our attack broke down with Ishy on the floor in their box. Ishy didn't bother getting up until it was too late, and they had attacked and scored.

Money didn't look happy my mate said and took Ishy straight off. Love to watch Ishy myself but when will he learn there's more than just the tricks required....

The annoying thing is, he's the one player in the squad with the pace to actually be able to track back and get goal side to help stop a counter attack! :roll: :)

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Playing as full-back in the reserves has taught him nothing. (sarcastic) Well done, Money / Clearly he needs to work on his defending and this calls for a longer spell at left-back. (genuine) Well done, Money. *

* delete as appropriate, depending on bias.

Or maybe DD just had a premonition that Deeney was going to score, who knows.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Good Result, well pleased this side of the pond.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:02 pm

I expected nothing today. I've just got in and I'm really chuffed at the result. We need strengthening, everyone agrees on that, but for tonight, a win will do :)

UTS

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:24 pm

Thank goodness for 3 points. This was just the sort of performance from the lads that we needed to cheer us all up. Apart from a spell of 20 mins or so in the first half, when we let them control the game, we looked the part today. The defence was fine.. Ropes made a superb last minute tackle to keep us from going one down... only to be injured (blow in the face?) and taken off a few minutes later. Fox scored with an overhead with the first half almost over.. always a good time to score and we went in with our tails up. In the second half the lads gave us everything. Both Wrack and Sonner worked their socks off and the defence was sound. Ishy came on - but upfront and not where he does most damage, i.e. on the wing. I cannot for the life of me see DD's reasoning in this. He was duly replaced by Deeney after they scored. But why did they score? Methinks we just wanted to hold out, waste some time and hope for the final bell. Always a mistake in my book! But then we came to life again, pushed forward relentlessly and got our just rewards with a well worked goal, put away by Deeney.
My man of tyhe match... Darren Wrack! He was immense. Pity I can't be at his do at Cannock. If you are reading this Geoff, buy him a pint on me :lol:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:29 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Are people on some sort of drugs?
We have absolutely no chance whatsoever of beating Millwall.

How many drugs would you like Sheff? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love been proved wrong when a Walsall result proves it!
Well done the Super Saddlers.
Lets use the result as a start for a good run.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:31 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I expected nothing today. I've just got in and I'm really chuffed at the result. We need strengthening, everyone agrees on that, but for tonight, a win will do :)

UTS

I know you were glad that you weren't able to follow this game, so I just thought it my duty to fill you in that our winner was set up by one of those players we signed because of a certain person's "off field connections" that you mentioned a few pages back on this thread.

:wink:

You're right though, a win will do for tonight - it's building from here that's going to be the important bit.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:33 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Are people on some sort of drugs?
We have absolutely no chance whatsoever of beating Millwall.

How many drugs would you like Sheff? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love been proved wrong when a Walsall result proves it!
Well done the Super Saddlers.
Lets use the result as a start for a good run.

If you can predict we have absolutely no chance of beating Oldham, then that might help. :D

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Just got in, was one of those games just knew we were going to win.We looked the better side, Foxy's goal is a must see!! He's taken a lot of stick on here but think he will shut the doubters up.Still think Hall is too slow and Sonner is a waste of a Walsall shirt!

Played so much better, maybe this team has finally gelled?

I don't think our friend in the pink shirt will wear that again :lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:27 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:I expected nothing today. I've just got in and I'm really chuffed at the result. We need strengthening, everyone agrees on that, but for tonight, a win will do :)

UTS

I know you were glad that you weren't able to follow this game, so I just thought it my duty to fill you in that our winner was set up by one of those players we signed because of a certain person's "off field connections" that you mentioned a few pages back on this thread.

:wink:

You're right though, a win will do for tonight - it's building from here that's going to be the important bit.

Well, three points are all that matters at the moment. And I still think that STM is bad for our club and significantly doubt whether he has the best interests of the club at heart.

But, as you say, its the building from here that's important. We need strengthening, big time, and this welcome result does not detract from that. Well done to Sonko, though, I'm quite prepared for him to prove me wrong :wink:

Tilly

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:30 pm

Kiansmom wrote:Just got in, was one of those games just knew we were going to win.We looked the better side, Foxy's goal is a must see!! He's taken a lot of stick on here but think he will shut the doubters up.Still think Hall is too slow and Sonner is a waste of a Walsall shirt!

Played so much better, maybe this team has finally gelled?

I don't think our friend in the pink shirt will wear that again :lol:

I thought you'd resigned.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:50 pm

Only 4 points off the play-offs now. Big Baz will be happy.

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:07 pm

just got back foxes goal was brilliant , as well as the chav numptys wearing pink tops in the corner of the main stand

millwall :D :D :D :D

sack

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:30 pm

ingMuch much much better today, for some reason they all looked calmer and pretty much in control, we actually strung passes together from one end to the other, and thats the first tine this season i've seen us do that properly. Sonner looks so much better with gerrard, he had a good quietly afective game for me, and gerrard him self is better than anything else we have to play there, if we are not bring

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season