Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (A) League 1 Saturday 15/9/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:55 pm

Looking at some of the comments about sonner..I haven't been to every away game but every game i have saw him i have been impressed..Apart from swansea i thought our midfield that day got outplayed by a very strong swansea team. But against vale i thought he did very well..Our corners was good too, Sonner chipping into in to gerrard and roper on the front post which was dangerous at times. What the hell was ishy doing for that corss..He was virtually walking just watching the player get the ball in the box for thier goal!

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:39 pm

coxy_saddler wrote:Looking at some of the comments about sonner..I haven't been to every away game but every game i have saw him i have been impressed..Apart from swansea i thought our midfield that day got outplayed by a very strong swansea team. But against vale i thought he did very well..Our corners was good too, Sonner chipping into in to gerrard and roper on the front post which was dangerous at times. What the hell was ishy doing for that corss..He was virtually walking just watching the player get the ball in the box for thier goal!

Totally agree on Sonner. I can only comment on the last two games but I have been very impressed with Sonner. He has a touch of quality on the ball and hasn't often given the ball away. If he does, he#ll chase back to try and win the ball back so I have no complaints. Maybe people have made their minds up based on earlier performances...

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:51 pm

Chomper wrote:
coxy_saddler wrote:Looking at some of the comments about sonner..I haven't been to every away game but every game i have saw him i have been impressed..Apart from swansea i thought our midfield that day got outplayed by a very strong swansea team. But against vale i thought he did very well..Our corners was good too, Sonner chipping into in to gerrard and roper on the front post which was dangerous at times. What the hell was ishy doing for that corss..He was virtually walking just watching the player get the ball in the box for thier goal!

Totally agree on Sonner. I can only comment on the last two games but I have been very impressed with Sonner. He has a touch of quality on the ball and hasn't often given the ball away. If he does, he#ll chase back to try and win the ball back so I have no complaints. Maybe people have made their minds up based on earlier performances...

Five years earlier? In a higher division (which he helped to keep us in)?

Because that's what some have done without doubt.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:57 am

Sonner - a touch of quality! Okay he works hard but his touch is hardly quality - its ok at best. He's not the worst in the squad by any means but his performance against Vale was rubbish. Most of the time he was late or missed tackles - saying that Dobbo would still be running to try and get there.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:09 am

kshammer wrote:Sonner - a touch of quality! Okay he works hard but his touch is hardly quality - its ok at best. He's not the worst in the squad by any means but his performance against Vale was rubbish. Most of the time he was late or missed tackles - saying that Dobbo would still be running to try and get there.

I thought Sonner had a decent game against Vale personally.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:22 am

I said this the other day

I wasn't over pleased when we signed Sonner, I didn't have fond memories of his performances for us.

However, based on the two games I have seen, Carlisle, and Orient, he played well, his passing was really good, and he put his share of work in as well.

Some people make up their minds, and can never change it, which is sad

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:42 pm

kshammer wrote:Sonner - a touch of quality! Okay he works hard but his touch is hardly quality - its ok at best. He's not the worst in the squad by any means but his performance against Vale was rubbish.

Is that the only game you're judging him on then?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:41 pm

kshammer wrote:Sonner - a touch of quality! Okay he works hard but his touch is hardly quality - its ok at best. He's not the worst in the squad by any means but his performance against Vale was rubbish. Most of the time he was late or missed tackles - saying that Dobbo would still be running to try and get there.

I thought Sonner was excellent first half against Vale, but faded second-half until he was subbed. But he'd come back from injury determined to play in that game, and was probably nowhere near 100% fit if the truth is known.

The criticism of him in that match is totally unwarranted IMHO.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:33 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

I thought Sonner was excellent first half against Vale, but faded second-half until he was subbed. But he'd come back from injury determined to play in that game, and was probably nowhere near 100% fit if the truth is known.

The criticism of him in that match is totally unwarranted IMHO.

Thats what I thought sexy geoff, he was pap at the den in my opinion and mine is the only one that counts seeing as im famous enough to have my match report nicked :wink:

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:43 pm

We'll have to agree to differ then, but numerous people around me at the Vale game thought the same.

As for judging him on what he did or didn't do before well thats not the case. I honestly couldn't care less who is in the shirt and what he's done in the past. Its not a popularity contest and favouritism doesn't come into it for any player whether in the Walsall or England team. If Sonner becomes amazing then well done to him and the team... just think he was crap against Vale.

To be fair I did say he wasn't the worst midfielder! Step up Dobbo....

WSOne
UTS Regular

Walsall Advertiser report

Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:43 pm

Teenage hotshot Troy Deeney dedicated Saturday’s match-winning goal at Millwall to the memory of Anton Reid who tragically passed away last month.

Reid’s training ground death stunned everyone connected with the club, putting early-season woes firmly into perspective, and Deeney’s tribute could not have been more fitting.

Both of them shared the same dream – to make their name in the professional game. His friend might be gone but their mutual determination to succeed will never be forgotten with Anton’s spirit living on until the day Deeney decides to hang-up his boots.

After five failed attempts, the Saddlers’ first three points of the campaign were won by the youngster’s first senior strike and has seen them climb five places in the League One standings.

Cynics might argue the contest was lost by the poorer of two poor teams, but given recent form this was never likely to be 90 minutes of ‘sexy football’ as Ruud Gullit famously coined.

Millwall, who kicked-off on the back of four consecutive defeats, dominated early proceedings and looked more likely to open the scoring with Gary Alexander going close on three occasions.

Former Arsenal wing starlet Ryan Smith saw his hooked volley palmed around the post by Clayton Ince on 18 minutes before a brilliant eleventh-hour tackle from Ian Roper denied Neil Harris what would probably have been his first goal of the campaign.

Roper received a rapturous ovation from the travelling contingent for his heroics but was soon knocked to the ground by a fierce shot which forced him to leave the field with suspected concussion.

Edrissa Sonko, fresh from international duty with Gambia, came on in his place as makeshift midfielder Anthony Gerrard dropped back into central defence to partner Scott Dann.

Sonko’s impact was immediate; supplying the delivery which led to the Saddlers breaking the deadlock shortly before half-time in acrobatic style.

After debutant goalkeeper Rab Douglas mistimed his punch, Daniel Fox’s fantastic scissor-kick crashed down off the woodwork and crossed the line to spark wild celebrations.

Under-pressure boss Willie Donachie hoped a double substitution at the interval would revitalise his Lions but the New Den faithful grew increasingly restless as each second-half minute passed.

It appeared the points would be Walsall’s but the visitors were made to pay for sitting back as ex-Brentford defender Andrew Frampton predictably cancelled out their slender advantage.

Frampton’s late equaliser incensed Richard Money who immediately replaced substitute Ishmel Demontagnac with Deeney – the decision proved to be a managerial masterstroke.

Darren Wrack and Sonko combined well down the right before the latter’s low cross found the 19-year-old who poked the winner into an empty net with three minutes remaining.

“We needed those three points and I thought it was thoroughly deserved,” said Money reflecting on his team’s victory. “It hurt me and hurt my players being bottom of the table so the win makes us feel a lot happier. We want to continue our ascendancy and ensure we do not occupy any of the four relegation places again this season.”

8)
Last edited by WSOne on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:17 pm

kshammer wrote:We'll have to agree to differ then, but numerous people around me at the Vale game thought the same.

As for judging him on what he did or didn't do before well thats not the case. I honestly couldn't care less who is in the shirt and what he's done in the past. Its not a popularity contest and favouritism doesn't come into it for any player whether in the Walsall or England team. If Sonner becomes amazing then well done to him and the team... just think he was crud against Vale.

To be fair I did say he wasn't the worst midfielder! Step up Dobbo....

It looks as though your talking specifically about the Vale game, in which Dobbo didn't play.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:47 am

The last line wasn't about Vale... it was about our midfielders in general. To be fair though it didn't come across as that!

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season