Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Wolverhampton Wanderers 5/9/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Wolverhampton Wanderers 5/9/07

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:23 pm

Saddlers 2 1 Dingles

Attendance:- 184

Played at the Banks’s Stadium

Walsall (4-4-2)

Bertrand Bossu

Richard Taundry
Scott Dann (c)
Tom Schwarz
Netan Sansara

Chris Hanna
David McDermott
Charlton Davies
Alex Nicholls (Alan Wilkes, 82 min.)

Troy Deeney (Harry Harris, 73 min.)
Joao Batista Mawete (a.k.a. Junior)

Unused Substitutes:-
Richard Davies
Jamie Silver
Tom Cox (gk)

Manager:- Eric McManus

.....and for the benefit of any lurking Dingles :D

Wolves (4-4-2)

Graham Stack

Mark Little (Tom Spalding, 82 min.)
Neill Collins
Rob Edwards (Denes Rosa, 41 min.)
Lee Collins (c)

Elliott Bennett
Kevin O'Connor (Mark Salmon, 72 min.)
Karl Henry
Michael Gray

Stephen Elliott
Liam Hughes

Unused Substitutes:-
Billy Lumley
David Ijaha

Manager:- Terry Connor

Goal log:-
23 min. - 0-1 - Liam Hughes turned Tom Schwarz "inside out" before slotting the ball home to give the visitors a flattering lead.
51 min. – 1-1 – Twice Alex Nicholls’s close-range shots were charged down by Graham Stack, in the Wolves’ goal but, eventually, Junior made sure by slamming it in.
54 min. – 2-1 – Scott Dann soared above everyone else to head in a cross from a right-wing free-kick.

Comments:-
Another thoroughly entertaining game (as most Reserve Team games usually are) where a draw would maybe have been a fairer score – but who’s complaining? Not the Walsall lads, that’s for sure, as their delight was plain to see, at the final whistle. A win over our dear friends and neighbours is always welcome – at any level! They’re a big club, you know!
The very young Walsall side, led by 20-year-old “veteran”, Scott Dann, the only one with a fair bit of first team experience, had the slight edge until the Wolves took the lead, midway through the first half. This settled the visitors and they had the edge until the interval. Whatever was said in the Walsall dressing-room, at half-time, certainly worked as Walsall were 2-1 ahead, within 9 minutes of the restart! The lads were playing with confidence and self-belief now and came close to increasing their lead. Eventually, the much more experienced Wolves side worked their way back and put the Saddlers under the cosh for the last 10 minutes. This provided Bossu with the rare chance to show his worth with 3 superb second half saves, to keep his side in it.
Defence:- Bossu superb; ZiDann class, as usual; Taundry steady; Schwarz improved as the game wore on; Sansara also took time to settle but eventually won his personal battle with the lively Bennett.
Midfield:- tended to be bypassed; McDermott and Davies always looked good in possession but their defenders did not always involve them as often as they should; as a consequence Hanna and Nicholls did not always get the best service.
Attack:- Deeney battled away, as usual while Junior took his goal well and could have scored another. Harris looked lively when he came on and could/should have scored. Wilkes was not on long enough to make an impression.
Anybody ready to step up on Saturday v. Port Fail? Well, in all honesty, you would have to say only Dann and Bossu. For the others, their time will come.

North Staffs Saddler
UTS Regular

Re: Reserves v. Wolverhampton Wanderers 5/9/07

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Leamore how did a.k.a. Junior play on the whole, not well enough to be in the first team?

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:45 pm

Great report Leamore.... Ta very muchly.

bleached blonde saddler

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:55 pm

fantastic 8) . We went to the game tonight but had to leave at half time. Thought we were the better side on the whole considering the dingles had a few 1st teamers playing for them. The future certainly looks bright ... the future is red & white !!!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:58 pm

North Staffs Saddler wrote:Leamore, how did a.k.a. Junior play on the whole, not well enough to be in the first team?

While he did not play badly (no-one did), he just did not do enough. I would have like to have seen greater involvement from him. Maybe it will come, in the fullness of time?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:13 am

We must have done well to beat a talented Wolves side (five players with Premier League experience? Something like that) so well done boys. Hopefully Dann will be able to return to marshal the defence against Vale.

Interesting to note Denes Rosa came on for the Dingles. He had a very good loan spell at Cheltenham last season and perhaps could be a canny signing to sharpen up our midfield.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:32 am

Registered Saddler wrote:We must have done well to beat a talented Wolves side (five players with Premier League experience? Something like that) so well done boys. Hopefully Dann will be able to return to marshal the defence against Vale.

Interesting to note Denes Rosa came on for the Dingles. He had a very good loan spell at Cheltenham last season and perhaps could be a canny signing to sharpen up our midfield.

Denes Rosa? is the hungarian one? Something like that anyway.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:28 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:
North Staffs Saddler wrote:Leamore, how did a.k.a. Junior play on the whole, not well enough to be in the first team?

While he did not play badly (no-one did), he just did not do enough. I would have like to have seen greater involvement from him. Maybe it will come, in the fullness of time?

Thanks for the report as usual Leamore. Had a telephone call from Buckos Boys with the result and he also said he didn't think anyone was ready for the first team - bar Dann and Bossu. Anyone any ideas why Scott was dropped for Tuesday and played yesterday?

Mind you I didn't expect to beat the Wolves who looked to have put out quite a decent side after losing their last reserve game 5-1 to Leicester when they fielded a very young side.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:54 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:

That's no problem. We can afford to wait. :?

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:12 am

Great stuff Leamore ,I really must make the effort to go to a reserve game.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:29 am

Scott Dann played 90 minutes last night? I know he didn't play for the first team on Tuesday, but he's played all of the other matches so I doubt he needed a game fitness-wise. What does that say about his chances of starting on Saturday? He might not have started the season as we'd have hoped, but surely dropping him is a bit premature?

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:54 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:Scott Dann played 90 minutes last night? I know he didn't play for the first team on Tuesday, but he's played all of the other matches so I doubt he needed a game fitness-wise. What does that say about his chances of starting on Saturday? He might not have started the season as we'd have hoped, but surely dropping him is a bit premature?

I wonder if it was a confidence thing to be honest. Go out, play a game where your under no pressure, put in a good showing and give your confidence a bit of a boost. As regardless of what some folk think, I think he has been caught out quite a few times so far this season at a higher level and hasn't really hit the levels I thought he would.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:58 am

Stu wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:Scott Dann played 90 minutes last night? I know he didn't play for the first team on Tuesday, but he's played all of the other matches so I doubt he needed a game fitness-wise. What does that say about his chances of starting on Saturday? He might not have started the season as we'd have hoped, but surely dropping him is a bit premature?

I wonder if it was a confidence thing to be honest. Go out, play a game where your under no pressure, put in a good showing and give your confidence a bit of a boost. As regardless of what some folk think, I think he has been caught out quite a few times so far this season at a higher level and hasn't really hit the levels I thought he would.

I hope so. As you say, he's not been as good so far this season as he was for most of last season, but he's far from being the only one that applied to. Neither Gerrard or Roper have impressed that much either. I'd be disappointed if the youngest and most inexperienced player (and the one with the most potential to be a future star) was made the scapegoat for our poor defending.

(Obviously this assumes there's nothing going on behind the scenes. If Dann's been playing Billy Big-Time and that's what's affecting his form then a spell on the sidelines might be the reality check he needs - but I've not heard anything to suggest that's the case.)

Tez66

Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:54 am

I went to the game last night and was very impressed. If only our first team could play 90 minutes at such a high tempo then we wouldn't be where we are now. I agree Bossu was superb (my man of the match for 3 outstanding saves) and Dann looked good albeit he did have a couple of wobbles with poor clerances. I was also impressed with McDermott and Nicholls for thier work rate and ability on the ball. The Wolves looked uncomfortable when either of them were on the ball. I'd say a possible substitute spot for these two on Saturday.

Junior struggled in the first half with the physical side of the game and was too easily knocked off the ball whilst claiming for a foul that wasn't. Second half he improved and did take his goal well. Still not ready for the first team IMHO

DD sat on his own behind the goals in the F2G stand obviously hoping to see a performance to catch his eye. From what I saw Bossu, Dann, Nicholls and McDermott would be the ones.

retired

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:07 am

Sounds as though it was an entertaining match

Perhaps the team that played last night wanted to play and to win. No pressure then on the 1st team who are assured of their places. maybe he will give the liked of McDermott a start. Goalkeeper to give a run for his place?
How did Hanna, and sansara do and the rest of the youngsters does it look like they may have a future

well done

Buckos Boys

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:14 am

I agree that McD and Nicholls ran about a lot but in my opinion to no avail. i think that they are both a million miles away from the first team particularly McD who because of his size, which is obviously not his fault, he tends to get knocked off the ball too easily. Nicholls does not seem to be the player he was pre-broken leg - seems to play without a great deal of confidence. Agree about Dann and Bossu though.

Buckos Boys

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:19 am

Re: Retired's comments. Sansara and Hanna did ok but again a million miles aeay from first team. What always amazes me is that other teams (and I don't particularly mean Wolves reserves last night ho contained a lot of experience) seem stronger and more physical than us. I can accept that they will be more skilful but general fitness and physical strength should not be areas where we are found wonting. Fitness does not seem to be a problem these days but some of the players (first team included) need beefing up

retired

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:50 am

last year when the youngsters were with Mick Halsall he worked them hard. I agree though that they need beefing up but again does anyone think that they may be part of the future for walsall. After all Sansara has played for England and Richard davies and Charlton davies both seem easy on the ball. Taundry is strong and what happened to the other lad Leon ???

Buckos Boys

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:01 am

I am just a little concerned that we get a lot of lads through to a certain level and then they just seem to plateau. I think Mick Halsall does a fantastic job but there seems a void area into which many of them fall at our club and can not make the progression to the first team. Is there an argument that says throw them into the first team like Merson did with Leroy, Daryl Taylor, Bennett and indeed Fryatt whose chances had been limited under Colin Lee. I don't know but then I'm not a football manager. Having watched the reserves on a fairly regular basis, I would have said that Mark Bradley was ready to move up to the plate but his performance on Saturday (and I recognise that this was only one game) was below par.

Buckos Boys

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:05 am

Mike T - what are you doing on line at 7.28am???????????????????????????????

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:06 am

Buckos Boys wrote:I am just a little concerned that we get a lot of lads through to a certain level and then they just seem to plateau. I think Mick Halsall does a fantastic job but there seems a void area into which many of them fall at our club and can not make the progression to the first team. Is there an argument that says throw them into the first team like Merson did with Leroy, Daryl Taylor, Bennett and indeed Fryatt whose chances had been limited under Colin Lee. I don't know but then I'm not a football manager. Having watched the reserves on a fairly regular basis, I would have said that Mark Bradley was ready to move up to the plate but his performance on Saturday (and I recognise that this was only one game) was below par.

I didn't see Bradley on Saturday, but it would be unfair to write him off on the basis of one performance. If he has learned as much as he can from reserve team football then playing him in the first team - even if he dies struggle at first - is the only way to develop him as a player. He will get better the more matches that he plays.

However, there has to be a question as to whether now is the right time to be blooding too many kids. The atmosphere at Bescot might get a bit ugly if we lose a couple more home games in the next few weeks. Do you want kids exposed to that?

Buckos Boys

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am

PH - agree with you and I wasn't criticising Bradley. For my part, I would try and give him 4 or 5 games on the bounce to see if he is ready rather than just judge him on 1 game - which is what I was alluding to. However if this is the case, he needs to have as many experienced pros round him to help and for that reason, I probably wouldn't have played Deeney on Saturday - maybe Ishy up front. Not vastly experienced I know but moreso than Troy. If Sonner is not fit on Saturday (or even if he is) I would have no problem with Bradley playing

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 am

Im not a lurking dingle :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:38 am

Buckos Boys wrote:Is there an argument that says throw them into the first team like Merson did with Leroy, Daryl Taylor, Bennett and indeed Fryatt whose chances had been limited under Colin Lee.

In all fairness, none were good enough to be first team regulars under Lee... Taylor and Williams weren't even close to being on the radar.

Bennett actually got his debut under Lee, technically Bracewell, away at Wigan where he was exposed a couple of times. Fryatt made a few appearances under Lee though and was breaking through, but again, wasn't quite consistent enough for a regular berth.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:44 am

Stu wrote:
Buckos Boys wrote:Is there an argument that says throw them into the first team like Merson did with Leroy, Daryl Taylor, Bennett and indeed Fryatt whose chances had been limited under Colin Lee.

In all fairness, none were good enough to be first team regulars under Lee... Taylor and Williams weren't even close to being on the radar.

Bennett actually got his debut under Lee, technically Bracewell, away at Wigan where he was exposed a couple of times. Fryatt made a few appearances under Lee though and was breaking through, but again, wasn't quite consistent enough for a regular berth.

Plus we were a division lower when Merson took over full-time. Together with the fact that all the younger players had another pre-season under their belt this argument is conveniently ignored by the "Merson gave the kids a go" brigade (which I'm not accusing anyone on this thread of being a member of).

Buckos Boys

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:53 am

Please don't take my comments as pro-Merson. I would say however that from the LCFC and NFFC website, Bennett had made 1 substitute appearance to the end of the 03/04 season and Fryatt 4 full and 7 sub appearances (1 goal) plus his time with Carlisle. Williams and Taylor had not played

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:05 am

Buckos Boys wrote:Please don't take my comments as pro-Merson. I would say however that from the LCFC and NFFC website, Bennett had made 1 substitute appearance to the end of the 03/04 season and Fryatt 4 full and 7 sub appearances (1 goal) plus his time with Carlisle. Williams and Taylor had not played

I added the last bit of my post in case anyone thought I was accusing you of being pro-Merson. I would never dream of accusing any Saddler of such a terrible crime!! :D

Some other young team players Merson selected in his 18 month stint in charge: Atieno, Bradley, Coleman, Harkness, McDermott, Willetts, Sztybel, Nicholls, Tilt.

That's virtually the entire youth team (once you include Dann and Demontagnac it probably was) - and none of them (with the excpetion of Bradley and Nicholls) are close to the first team now. In fact, many of them have moved on. On the other hand, Scott Dann, picked up only one appearance as sub under Merson. Basically Merson just picked whoever he happened to spot wandering round at the end of training on Friday afternoon - and even then he managed to almost totally miss the most talented of the lot in Dann. He doesn't deserve any credit for haphazardly throwing young kids into the side at random.

Buckos Boys

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:24 pm

Agree

DrWho

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:38 pm

I know its all about giving them the experience but like you say above not many of our youngsters have gone on to play much higher than the league we are in. I just wonder sometimes if our kids are as good as some people make them out to be.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:43 pm

DrWho wrote:I know its all about giving them the experience but like you say above not many of our youngsters have gone on to play much higher than the league we are in. I just wonder sometimes if our kids are as good as some people make them out to be.

Errr, that's not really the point I was trying to make. I think that some of them could have gone on to better things if they'd just been handled better (Taylor, Williams, Harkness and even Ishmel), some of them were far too young and may yet break into our side (McDermott, Bradley, Willetts if he's still around) and others were just unlucky or in the wrong place at the wrong time (Nicholls, Coleman).

I'm sure there's as much talent in our youth system as at many other League 1 clubs, but it needs careful management to bring that talent through to the level required to play professional football - which is as much about the mental side as it is about technical ability.

Next
Return to 2007-08 Season