Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (H) League One - Saturday 8th September, 1pm KO

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
tinned
Site Addict

Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:52 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:One area where I do think we are weak is central midfield. We really could do with another option in there anyway as we're short on numbers, but getting someone a bit more dynamic (or getting Dobson to play that role) would make quite a difference IMO.

Without trying to sound like "I told you so", although I probably am, why wasn't that highlighted as an obvious problem in pre-season? I, and many, many others could see it was a major flaw in our setup. Okay, we may have been chasing Frecklington but I'd have thought it was fairly obvious that that one may have been in some doubt. So why wasn't an alternative sourced? Or did DD really believe Sonner & Dobson would be an adequate partnership? (if so, I'm really worried).

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:04 am

Im seriously think that we wont make the play offs. I have finally realised that i had my head in the clouds when i predicted walsall would make the play offs. On the basis on what ive seen so far this season i think walsall will finish in the top half of the table but not in the play offs.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 am

big baz 1 wrote:Im seriously think that we wont make the play offs. I have finally realised that i had my head in the clouds when i predicted walsall would make the play offs. On the basis on what ive seen so far this season i think walsall will finish in the top half of the table but not in the play offs.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:19 am

tinned wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:One area where I do think we are weak is central midfield. We really could do with another option in there anyway as we're short on numbers, but getting someone a bit more dynamic (or getting Dobson to play that role) would make quite a difference IMO.

Without trying to sound like "I told you so", although I probably am, why wasn't that highlighted as an obvious problem in pre-season? I, and many, many others could see it was a major flaw in our setup. Okay, we may have been chasing Frecklington but I'd have thought it was fairly obvious that that one may have been in some doubt. So why wasn't an alternative sourced? Or did DD really believe Sonner & Dobson would be an adequate partnership? (if so, I'm really worried).

I have no idea. Last season we had Kinsella, Dobbo and Keates - and Richard Money was still after another midfielder. We lost two of those, brought one in, so effectively we are two short. Can Sonko play there? Did he expect more from Bradley? Is it supposed to be Wrack's No 1 position? I don't know, but to start the season with two central midfielders in the squad seemed very odd indeed and also appeared to be tempting fate as that was the area we were bound to get injuries.

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:30 am

big baz 1 wrote:Im seriously think that we wont make the play offs. I have finally realised that i had my head in the clouds when i predicted walsall would make the play offs. On the basis on what ive seen so far this season i think walsall will finish in the top half of the table but not in the play offs.

Bloody doom monger... All this negative talk ruins the board. :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:52 am

Registered Saddler wrote:I have no idea. Last season we had Kinsella, Dobbo and Keates - and Richard Money was still after another midfielder. We lost two of those, brought one in, so effectively we are two short. Can Sonko play there? Did he expect more from Bradley? Is it supposed to be Wrack's No 1 position? I don't know, but to start the season with two central midfielders in the squad seemed very odd indeed and also appeared to be tempting fate as that was the area we were bound to get injuries.

RM certainly made comments in the press suggesting that he rates him, but I think those were with regard to the right back berth, before we signed Weston, in that he plays there for Wales. Maybe he thought he would step up, as you say. I thought he looked great against a tough and workmanlike, albeit semi-skilled, Halesowen team in pre-season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:09 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:I have no idea. Last season we had Kinsella, Dobbo and Keates - and Richard Money was still after another midfielder. We lost two of those, brought one in, so effectively we are two short. Can Sonko play there? Did he expect more from Bradley? Is it supposed to be Wrack's No 1 position? I don't know, but to start the season with two central midfielders in the squad seemed very odd indeed and also appeared to be tempting fate as that was the area we were bound to get injuries.

RM certainly made comments in the press suggesting that he rates him, but I think those were with regard to the right back berth, before we signed Weston, in that he plays there for Wales. Maybe he thought he would step up, as you say. I thought he looked great against a tough and workmanlike, albeit semi-skilled, Halesowen team in pre-season.

On the flip-side, he looked a bit timid and slightly weak at Orient when he came on. Saying that, it was his debut, coming on in a very even game. He could still prove to be a real find.

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season