Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League 1 Saturday 1st September 2007

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:40 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:
Stephen wrote:**** performace, **** place, **** fans. Cockney bastards.

Saw Ishmel's family. Nice people, having a laugh etc.

How did that get through the filter? :?

Offensive it may be, but a swear word it ain't!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:38 pm

Lets face it, we lost to a team who had lost their previous 3 games and scored a massive 1 goal in the process.
Yet, they managed to score 2 in less than 35 minutes against us!
All this cr@p about us playing well, yeah right!
Come back to reality!

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:41 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Lets face it, we lost to a team who had lost their previous 3 games and scored a massive 1 goal in the process.
All this crud about us playing well, yeah right!
Come back to reality!

They did play well at times, we also should have had a penalty.
BTW How well did Chelsea play today? :D

sack

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:16 am

Spot on fellah,
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Lets face it, we lost to a team who had lost their previous 3 games and scored a massive 1 goal in the process.
All this crud about us playing well, yeah right!
Come back to reality!

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:23 am

Whoever said they would have pead over weston must be on drugs or something, weston is a far better right back than mr loyalty and pead put together. This was only weston 3rd game after injury. People who were slagging off wracky last week should take a look at his superb performance yesterday our best player by a country mile. I know that bloke shouted " pull your finger out your a**e ant" and ant gave him a right dirty look. Its come to the point now where opposing defenders have worked out how to play against ishy. Butler had his best game for walsall saturday, no clear cut chances but worked his b*****s off all game. Deeny and bradley at times the game passed them by but they will learn and look good enough for league 1 . Their two goals came about because gerrard and ince didnt talk to each other. Gerrard had a bad game saturday but which player doesnt and some of the stick he was getting was uncalled for. Dann and boertin did ok they wasnt at their best. Sonko lokked very impressive indeed though his decison making could of been better.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:25 am

big baz 1 wrote:Whoever said they would have pead over weston must be on drugs or something, weston is a far better right back than mr loyalty and pead put together. This was only weston 3rd game after injury. People who were slagging off wracky last week should take a look at his superb performance yesterday our best player by a country mile. I know that bloke shouted " pull your finger out your a**e ant" and ant gave him a right dirty look. Its come to the point now where opposing defenders have worked out how to play against ishy. Butler had his best game for walsall saturday, no clear cut chances but worked his b*****s off all game. Deeny and bradley at times the game passed them by but they will learn and look good enough for league 1 . Their two goals came about because gerrard and ince didnt talk to each other. Gerrard had a bad game saturday but which player doesnt and some of the stick he was getting was uncalled for. Dann and boertin did ok they wasnt at their best. Sonko lokked very impressive indeed though his decison making could of been better.

I think i have that on dvd :wink:

WSOne
UTS Regular

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:02 am

sack wrote:by the way mooney and sonner are out for vale

What injury does Sonner have?

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:04 am

WSOne wrote:

Split ends

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:05 am

WSOne wrote:

Not sure but i knew he wasnt playing when he turned up at th ground at 8.50am saturday morning while we was waiting for the coach.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:43 am

Ned_Kelly wrote:
WSOne wrote:What injury does Sonner have?

Split ends

:lol:

Should have known.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:42 am

Over The Moon wrote:It's coming true anyone with a footballing brain would realise this team is just not good enough i thought this in the summer and now it's coming true signing foreign rubbish and has beens can't for another trip to Torquay next season :(

I have an excellent footballing brain and I repeat I am not concerned in the slightest about this season. I base that on the fact I have been to the games (not heard second hand) and we are playing as well, if not better than last season and creating far more chances. If we weren't creating chances I would be concerned.

People are happy to continue with their negative views and claim they are right because we've started badly yet they won't back up their views.

I repeat I am willing to bet with anyone convinced we will be relegated, £50 that we shall not. Make it higher if you want.

Until someone takes me up on this bet, I believe everyone is being negative for the sake of it.

There are promising signs there and nothing a bit of hard work on the training ground can't sort out.

INDIVIDUAL MISTAKES HAVE COST US. Nothing more, nothing less. They weren't happening last season and the players haven't suddenly got worse so they will stop happing with work to put them right.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:59 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Over The Moon wrote:It's coming true anyone with a footballing brain would realise this team is just not good enough i thought this in the summer and now it's coming true signing foreign rubbish and has beens can't for another trip to Torquay next season :(

I have an excellent footballing brain and I repeat I am not concerned in the slightest about this season. I base that on the fact I have been to the games (not heard second hand) and we are playing as well, if not better than last season and creating far more chances. If we weren't creating chances I would be concerned.

People are happy to continue with their negative views and claim they are right because we've started badly yet they won't back up their views.

I repeat I am willing to bet with anyone convinced we will be relegated, £50 that we shall not. Make it higher if you want.

Until someone takes me up on this bet, I believe everyone is being negative for the sake of it.

There are promising signs there and nothing a bit of hard work on the training ground can't sort out.

INDIVIDUAL MISTAKES HAVE COST US. Nothing more, nothing less. They weren't happening last season and the players haven't suddenly got worse so they will stop happing with work to put them right.

good stuff Mark , can I just add we are not having the best of luck , thats not an excuse .

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:07 pm

I would also like to point out where Hartlepool and Sunderland were in the league this time last season and we're not even expecting promotion! Realists aren't anyway.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:16 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Well said markus top post mate i still owe you a big baz beating 8) :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:21 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Good post.

I haven't read anything but this page of the match thread as I know what will have been said and by whom :lol: I have only seen the 2 home games and would agree that we are creating more chances, but also a few sloppy errors which are costing us dear at the moment. If we don't get 3 points soon I will be worried as panic might set in. I think the football has been better this season - however I think DD might revert to his previous tactics if things dont change soon.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Aldridge Steve wrote: I think the football has been better this season - however I think DD might revert to his previous tactics if things dont change soon.

And the same people will still be negative that the style of play has returned to last seasons, even if we were winning every game!

WFCNIL

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:54 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Spot on

The dissapointing side to this is that certain individuals "Tinned", "Bernie" etc are actually over the moon that we have started so badly. This is because a) they have this dislike of DD our best manager since Sir Ray, and b) Because they got it so so wrong last season when they were preaching doom and gloom.

Come on lads let it go, dont go and make yourselves look stupid again. UTS
Last edited by WFCNIL on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:55 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote: I think the football has been better this season - however I think DD might revert to his previous tactics if things dont change soon.

And the same people will still be negative that the style of play has returned to last seasons, even if we were winning every game!

Agreed , Whats needed now is points , I for 1 don't care how we get them.
if thats means a return to last season style of play so be it.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:20 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Well I'm going to stick my neck out. I've privately told Tinned and Over The Moon that I think we will be relegated, so I'll have a £20 bet with you that we will be (£50 is a bit steep for me - I'm not in the lucrative water cooler trade!!).

It does go against my principles to bet on relegation for the team I support, but I really think you're wrong on this one MMF. I actually thought at the start of the season that we would struggle (I had a £20 bet with SaddlerKen who thought we would finish top 6!) but even I hoped we would start better than we have.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. But it is going to be interesting to put MMF's 'excellent football brain' to the test...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:26 pm

It's never wrong. I will happily put my £20 towards next seasons season ticket. :P

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:32 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:It's never wrong. I will happily put my £20 towards next seasons season ticket. :P

*Peskydildo*

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:44 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:It's never wrong. I will happily put my £20 towards next seasons season ticket. :P

*Peskydildo*

I'm not following.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:04 pm

Is UTS a licenced betting site :oops: :lol:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:27 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:

*Peskydildo*

I'm not following.

Thats because your more of a leader :D

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:55 pm

WFCNIL wrote:Spot on

The dissapointing side to this is that certain individuals "Tinned", "Bernie" etc are actually over the moon that we have started so badly. This is because a) they have this dislike of DD our best manager since Sir Ray, and b) Because they got it so so wrong last season when they were preaching doom and gloom.

Why don't you just go and take your petty little ******* snide remarks and stick them up your **** you braindead ****?

If the only pathetic argument you can muster as a back-up to your views is to constantly bring in to question the loyalty of people you don't agree with then it shows you for the total prick you are.

What a cosy little world you must live in where anyone with oppsoite views can be disregarded in such an easy matter.

You never had anyone disagree with you before? Deal with it, you small minded ******.

(Moderated - language)

liamrowc52
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:47 am

tinned wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:Spot on

Why don't you just go and take your petty little ******* snide remarks and stick them up your **** you braindead ****?

If the only pathetic argument you can muster as a back-up to your views is to constantly bring in to question the loyalty of people you don't agree with then it shows you for the total prick you are.

What a cosy little world you must live in where anyone with oppsoite views can be disregarded in such an easy matter.

You never had anyone disagree with you before? Deal with it, you small minded ******.

(Moderated - language)
Well said,

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:48 am

WFCNIL wrote:The dissapointing side to this is that certain individuals "Tinned", "Bernie" etc are actually over the moon that we have started so badly. This is because a) they have this dislike of DD our best manager since Sir Ray, and b) Because they got it so so wrong last season when they were preaching doom and gloom.

I think thats bang out of order to be honest... I know the former and I'm sure he isn't "over the moon" in any way, shape or form at our start. I can't vouch for Bernie, but I think he has been realistic more than negative.

As for "last season when they were preaching doom and gloom", I keep saying this and people keep ignoring it. DD did exactly what the likes of Tinned, and myself, were saying at the end of last season. When we were wobbling, which we were, Tinned, myself and others said we needed some width, pace and energy into the side if we were to ensure we didn't lose the start we'd made.

What did DD do, he added exactly that, what happened, we recovered our form, got some good points and promotion came.

Hence I'd say he was proved right last season. Rather than saying "We'll get promoted regardless", he said we needed to make the right addition to get promoted, DD went out and did that because he also saw it needed to be done and we got promoted.

So the 'doom and gloom' mongers didn't get it so wrong, I'd say that they got it spot on and DD agreed with what they were saying needed to be done, quite clearly.

And for what its worth, I still stick to my pre-season guess of anywhere between 14th - 20th for us. I can see why there are causes for concern so far as problems needed to be sorted out sooner rather than later, but I can see the positives. Whether we can realise the positives is a different story and is down to DD and the players.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:46 am

Stu wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:The dissapointing side to this is that certain individuals "Tinned", "Bernie" etc are actually over the moon that we have started so badly. This is because a) they have this dislike of DD our best manager since Sir Ray, and b) Because they got it so so wrong last season when they were preaching doom and gloom.

I think thats bang out of order to be honest... I know the former and I'm sure he isn't "over the moon" in any way, shape or form at our start. I can't vouch for Bernie, but I think he has been realistic more than negative.

As for "last season when they were preaching doom and gloom", I keep saying this and people keep ignoring it. DD did exactly what the likes of Tinned, and myself, were saying at the end of last season. When we were wobbling, which we were, Tinned, myself and others said we needed some width, pace and energy into the side if we were to ensure we didn't lose the start we'd made.

What did DD do, he added exactly that, what happened, we recovered our form, got some good points and promotion came.

Hence I'd say he was proved right last season. Rather than saying "We'll get promoted regardless", he said we needed to make the right addition to get promoted, DD went out and did that because he also saw it needed to be done and we got promoted.

So the 'doom and gloom' mongers didn't get it so wrong, I'd say that they got it spot on and DD agreed with what they were saying needed to be done, quite clearly.

And for what its worth, I still stick to my pre-season guess of anywhere between 14th - 20th for us. I can see why there are causes for concern so far as problems needed to be sorted out sooner rather than later, but I can see the positives. Whether we can realise the positives is a different story and is down to DD and the players.

I can confirm that Tinned and Over the Moon are two different posters...

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:27 am

Stu wrote:

I think thats bang out of order to be honest...

Me too, me too. But, in fairness, I have to add that I didn't think tinned's response was all that clever either.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:37 am

I'd have some of that as well, but it's probably best left to you two. Going down we are not!

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season