Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League 1 Saturday 1st September 2007

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
futuresobright wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
OldPenkSaddler wrote:Full Time Statistic

Gillingham v Walsall

Goal Attempts 12 : 8
On Target 5 : 4
Crosses 6 : 4
Corners 6 : 4
Offside 2 : 0
Fouls 4 : 5
Free kicks 7 : 6
Yellow cards 1 : 0
% Possession 51 : 49

Constable gets a hat trick. Benjamin scores. K Taylor scores. Our attack couldn't score in a brothel. :evil: Loan signings
needed asap.

All those goals were scored in lower leagues. No offence, but we need to stop thinking about players who have left and concentrate on the ones who are still here - or who we can bring in.

Chairmen and fans do judge managers by their ability to sign and release the right players, hence the eight word chant soon to be echoing around the Banks' stadium 'YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!'

Isn't that six words?

Probably seven as Don't is usually sang DOW down the Banks's

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:12 pm

Goose -I really hope your right.I am realy not convinced by any of our new signings. We could have ben bottom of the league with last seasons team!

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:19 pm

m&m wrote:Goose -I really hope your right.I am realy not convinced by any of our new signings. We could have ben bottom of the league with last seasons team!

So do I mate. I'm not too convinced either but he did a job for us last season and I have faith he'll do the same again. I never once thought we'd be in the play offs this season but I do expect to be far enough away from relegation so the last few games are not squeaky bum occasions.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:39 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:I'm a bit concerned but I'm sure we'll turn this around. From the sound of it, we deserved at least a point today. It's early days yet - we just need a win to boost the confidence (am I being too optimistic :( )

Apparently we've "deserved" something from all our games so far. As I've said above, that concerns me more than if we'd just got thumped every week. Teams that get points from games they "should" have lost tend to be battling at the top of the table, those that lose games they "should" have drawn or won struggle at the other end.

In any case, the point is to score more goals than the other side. If you do that you deserve to win, if you don't then you deserve to lose or draw. Anything else is just making excuses.

Great post Hawkster! I've been saying for years that the D-word is the refuge of the scoundrel reporter/manager/player/fan. Aside from the occasional crucial refereeing blip, you get exactly the results you deserve in football.

If you hit the woodwork with a fantastic shot, you don't deserve a goal because you missed the target.
If you play all the nice football and have 90% of the possession but the opponents score the only goal with their only shot then you deserve nothing.
Perhaps FIFA should introduce a Deserve Panel or summat to over-rule unjust scorelines. Until they do, the D-word based argument is vacuous and can detract from the real problems which exist, i.e. not out-scoring your opponent.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:46 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:I'm a bit concerned but I'm sure we'll turn this around. From the sound of it, we deserved at least a point today. It's early days yet - we just need a win to boost the confidence (am I being too optimistic :( )

Apparently we've "deserved" something from all our games so far. As I've said above, that concerns me more than if we'd just got thumped every week. Teams that get points from games they "should" have lost tend to be battling at the top of the table, those that lose games they "should" have drawn or won struggle at the other end.

In any case, the point is to score more goals than the other side. If you do that you deserve to win, if you don't then you deserve to lose or draw. Anything else is just making excuses.[/quote]

But wasn't that the strategy employed by Paul Merson during his time as manager???

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:00 pm

booster cogburn wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

In any case, the point is to score more goals than the other side. If you do that you deserve to win, if you don't then you deserve to lose or draw. Anything else is just making excuses.

Great post Hawkster! I've been saying for years that the D-word is the refuge of the scoundrel reporter/manager/player/fan. Aside from the occasional crucial refereeing blip, you get exactly the results you deserve in football.

If you hit the woodwork with a fantastic shot, you don't deserve a goal because you missed the target.
If you play all the nice football and have 90% of the possession but the opponents score the only goal with their only shot then you deserve nothing.
Perhaps FIFA should introduce a Deserve Panel or summat to over-rule unjust scorelines. Until they do, the D-word based argument is vacuous and can detract from the real problems which exist, i.e. not out-scoring your opponent.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Excellent Booster

Hamstead Red

Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:02 pm

We'r cack and we know we are but its early days so chill , Dicky Dido's no mug .

sack

Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:37 pm

OK when would it be OK to start panicking then guys, did you see that today believe me the fat lady is on the second chorus.
sack wrote:Right just got back. Any one who phinks our midfield is good enough could not have been there today, or is a mentalist. our strikers cannot score when they are constantly dropping back to try to get the ball, our wingers cannot create when they are never given the ball properly, our defenders cannot cope when the ball is constantly comeing straight back at them. I know i sed i wouldn't comment for a month, but if the club don't address this for a month it will be allready to late. Sonner is out for the next 2 games and let's face it he wouldn't solve it anyway. DD stop being so flameing arrogant and sort it out, this politics of i'll prove we don't need a keates type is going to end up with us back where none of us want to be.

Mozza_saddler

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:14 pm

went to the game today, but was refused entry because i had a can of beer prior to going in the ground!

All that way to stand outside takes the mick, the stewards also took my ticket off me so i dont even know wheteher ill get a refund either... not a great day on the whole.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:41 pm

Went today and came away very disappointed. Concerned since pre-season we would struggle and not surprised we have made such a poor start. I rate the manager and believe he will turn things around, but I fear we will be fighting relegation.

By the way, I'm told DD reacted badly to criticism from one fan at full-time. Can anyone confirm this?
Last edited by WSOne on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:43 pm

WSOne wrote:Went today and came away very disappointed. Concerned since pre-season we would struggle and not surprised we have made such a poor start. I rate the manager and believe he will turn things around, but we will definitely be fighting relegation.

By the way, I'm told DD reacted badly to criticism from one fan at full-time. Can anyone confirm this?

If they do I'm sure we'll read all about it in the advertiser :wink:

Put the links to your reports on here matey if they are available on-line.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:45 pm

Report of Carling Cup exit to Swansea...

http://www.walsalladvertiser.co.uk/disp ... ebarsearch
:)

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:47 pm

WSOne wrote:Went today and came away very disappointed. Concerned since pre-season we would struggle and not surprised we have made such a poor start. I rate the manager and believe he will turn things around, but I fear we will be fighting relegation.

God forbid a fan, that's doing a 300 mile round trip and paying for tickets/food/drink/petrol, may just have an opposite opinion. It shouldn't be allowed :roll:

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:48 pm

WSOne wrote:Report of Carling Cup exit to Swansea...

http://www.walsalladvertiser.co.uk/disp ... ebarsearch
:)

Good use of 'Ineffectual'

Did you write the By-line?

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Mozza_saddler wrote:went to the game today, but was refused entry because i had a can of beer prior to going in the ground!

All that way to stand outside takes the mick, the stewards also took my ticket off me so i dont even know wheteher ill get a refund either... not a great day on the whole.

Thats a bit hard to believe, them not letting you in because you had had a drink!!! The place was full of pi$$ heads today. One girl could hardly stand up, but they let her in :?

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:59 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:
Mozza_saddler wrote:went to the game today, but was refused entry because i had a can of beer prior to going in the ground!

Thats a bit hard to believe, them not letting you in because you had had a drink!!! The place was full of pi$$ heads today. One girl could hardly stand up, but they let her in :?

But surely they're obliged to let the players in? :twisted:

Mozza_saddler

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:03 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:

it was because i had a junior ticket, but its not like i was drinking it in the ground or anything :cry: doesnt seem like i missed out on much anyway!

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 pm

Mozza_saddler wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:

it was because i had a junior ticket, but its not like i was drinking it in the ground or anything :cry: doesnt seem like i missed out on much anyway!

I take it they confiscated the ticket as you were trying to get in as a junior but drinking beer (which is obviously not allowed by juniors).

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:08 pm

If you are a junior - you shouldn't be drinking.

If you are not a junior you shouldn't have a junior ticket.

You can have no complaint. Your own fault.

The sensible thing to do if you want an underage tot is to have a bit of discretion

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:09 pm

look it up.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:10 pm

Cannock wrote:If you are a junior you shouldn't be drinking.

The sensible thing to do if you want an underage tot is to have a bit of discretion.

Well said.

Mozza_saddler

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:17 pm

Cannock wrote:If you are a junior - you shouldn't be drinking.

The sensible thing to do if you want an underage tot is to have a bit of discretion

i know it is not blaming it on anybody else, just did'nt think stewards would have control what people do outside the ground, as there were no police around or anything i did'nt think anything would be said.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:18 pm

m&m wrote:I hope there is still some money left in the kitty and we can do something similar to what Colin Lee did when bringing in O'Neil and Baird.Surely if Villa reserves are using the Banks's they could help us out? We need it!

That's exactly what I've been saying since the first 2 games. This side is crying out for some young legs in midfield. I don't care if people think he's too good or whatever, but I'd bite the bullet and make a loan bid for Isiah Osbourne at the Villa. If they won't let him come to us or he decides not to come, so be it but we can at least show a bit of ambition. He ran the show when we played them in the pre-season friendly and looked like the box to box midfielder we could really do with.
Having said all that, I've also tried not to give the midfield too much grief because of the chances we've been creating. We need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net. This league highlights just how fine the line is between winning and losing. 2 years ago, Fryatt would have scored half the chances we've been creating and we'd have around 6 points by now. I'm not going to speculate about bringing him back on loan, but we'll continue to lose points while we're not taking chances up front.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:27 pm

Top shout Rob.

Fao Mozza, at least you will live and learn for next time.

Don't be so obvious. Don't give the jobsworths any excuse.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:44 pm

Cannock wrote:If you are a junior - you shouldn't be drinking.

That is a bit harsh.

While it is illegal for people under 18 to buy alcohol, or to consume it on licensed premises, it is not illegal for people under 18 to drink alcohol. While possession of alcohol by the under 18s in public is problematic, with police allowed to confiscate the drink and pour it away, it is not an offence for a young person under 18 simply to drink alcohol in most public places, you cannot be arrested for it, but of course if you were to refuse to hand over a can when requested you could be done for obstruction, or for drunkeness if you are the worse for wear.

On the other hand it is illegal for a person of any age to have any alcohol on a football coach.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:47 pm

For heaven's sake Bernie.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

But wasn't that the strategy employed by Paul Merson during his time as manager???

:lol:

But he didn't realise that it's easier to achieve that objective if you actually try to stop them scoring as well as trying to score yourself!!

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:00 am

It's coming true anyone with a footballing brain would realise this team is just not good enough i thought this in the summer and now it's coming true signing foreign rubbish and has beens can't for another trip to Torquay next season :(

VanZant

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:32 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Full Time Statistic

Gillingham v Walsall

Goal Attempts 12 : 8
On Target 5 : 4
Crosses 6 : 4
Corners 6 : 4
Offside 2 : 0
Fouls 4 : 5
Free kicks 7 : 6
Yellow cards 1 : 0
% Possession 51 : 49

Constable gets a hat trick. Benjamin scores. K Taylor scores. Our attack couldn't score in a brothel. :evil: Loan signings needed asap.

Don't forget Barrowman 6 goals this season for Ross County and Benjamin also scored for Hereford.
Oh and Torress got a couple, we could have got him on loan but Bonsor was too mean to sell his business, house, cars, and give up his pension!

Stephen

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:02 am

cack performace, cack place, cack fans. Cockney bastards.

Saw Ishmel's family. Nice people, having a laugh etc.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season