Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League 1 Saturday 1st September 2007

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
asimpson
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:05 am

I went yesterday so i thought i better put down my thoughts.

Ince- Most nervous performance of season so far but still confident in the air
Weston- After seeing him in every match he has played this season i can now make a judgement on him. This is he is Useless. Pead over Weston anyday. No wonder the Welsh are so bad
Dann- Solid as per usaul
Gerrard- Poor game by his standards. Made a costly slip that almost gave them another goal. Loved the way he looked over at the fan who slagged him off in the first half. i thought he was going to come into the crowd and start fightinjg
Boetein- Worsed game ive seen him in so far but even his worse is better than most of the other players ok games.
Wrack- Thought he did terrific yesterday. Weather it was on the wing where he started or in centre midfield where i thought was fantastic. I would play him Centre Mid every week
Dobson- Not much to say. Awful
Bradley- Loked out of his depth if im honest but did improve as match went on. But not as good as Sonner

Fox- I predicted he would score on the predictions thread, bet no one else did!!!!!. I deserve a prize. One of his better performances. Fantastic finish

Butler- I thought he did ok and had a few chances but nothing clear cut
Deeney- Not a bad display. Almost scored with a turn and shot but was denied by a great save

Subs-

Sonko- Ran at players but poor decison making
Hall- Not much he could do
Ishy- Did he touch the ball?, Looks like opposition have sussed him out

Overall im concerned. Gillingham were such a bad team yet we still lost. Despite this they defended well an kept us out second half. Something we will struggle to do his season. Relegation battle awaits!

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:11 am

Over The Moon wrote:It's coming true anyone with a footballing brain would realise this team is just not good enough i thought this in the summer and now it's coming true signing foreign rubbish and has beens can't for another trip to Torquay next season :(

I haven't been to a game yet but from what I've heard, we've competed against all we've played against so far. We've created chances and had a bit of indifferent luck (especially against Swansea). I don't believe the likes of Ince, Sonner, Roper, Dann, Butler, Mooney, Ishy and Boertin aren't good enough for this league and I'm sure Weston and Gerrard can also cope. Hall, Carneiro, Junior and Sonko (who looks good apparently) have to prove themselves and the youngsters we won't know about until they get a chance.

We all know we need a midfielder who can create things and make use of the dead ball and we need a striker who can finish the chances we are creating, although I believe Butler and Mooney will come good. Maybe these will come by way of loans which we know will come at some point. The way some people talk on here it's as though they think we have a divine right to set this league on fire. We all knew we didn't have the budget to compete for the play offs, and we all knew it was going to be difficult. Surely I'm not alone in thinking survival was always the order of the day and anything more will be a bonus.

sack

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:29 am

Set the league on fire, mate we haven't won a single game.
Goose277 wrote:
Over The Moon wrote:It's coming true anyone with a footballing brain would realise this team is just not good enough i thought this in the summer and now it's coming true signing foreign rubbish and has beens can't for another trip to Torquay next season :(

I haven't been to a game yet but from what I've heard, we've competed against all we've played against so far. We've created chances and had a bit of indifferent luck (especially against Swansea). I don't believe the likes of Ince, Sonner, Roper, Dann, Butler, Mooney, Ishy and Boertin aren't good enough for this league and I'm sure Weston and Gerrard can also cope. Hall, Carneiro, Junior and Sonko (who looks good apparently) have to prove themselves and the youngsters we won't know about until they get a chance.

We all know we need a midfielder who can create things and make use of the dead ball and we need a striker who can finish the chances we are creating, although I believe Butler and Mooney will come good. Maybe these will come by way of loans which we know will come at some point. The way some people talk on here it's as though they think we have a divine right to set this league on fire. We all knew we didn't have the budget to compete for the play offs, and we all knew it was going to be difficult. Surely I'm not alone in thinking survival was always the order of the day and anything more will be a bonus.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:50 am

Goose277 wrote:We all knew we didn't have the budget to compete for the play offs, and we all knew it was going to be difficult. Surely I'm not alone in thinking survival was always the order of the day and anything more will be a bonus.

I can't find the pre-season prediction thread, but there quite a few folk who thought we were capable of the play offs and a lot who thought we'd have a very comfortable season. Very few thought we'd be in a relegation dog fight, and although its very early days, its not looking good so far.

Thank the FA even more for not overturning Leeds points deduction already.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:51 am

WSOne wrote:By the way, I'm told DD reacted badly to criticism from one fan at full-time. Can anyone confirm this?

MMF reckons a fan shouted something like "Not good enough Money, sort it out" whilst he was walking down the tunnel, DD turned around but was restrained/held back by the players to stop him having a go.

He really does himself no favours to be honest. Everybody undertstands that DD doesn't want us to be in this position, but we are, and he must expect that folk aren't going to be over the moon at it.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:03 am

I bet that fan thinks he's amazing because he got a reaction out of DD, im glad DD has some fire in his belly.

About time a manager gave some stupid fans a kick up the arse.

We werent good enough maybe, but some people moan too much. We'd of got something if Simon Royce hadnt played a blinder. Away performances arent about playing like arsenal.
Last edited by latviancheese on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:04 am

There are going to be a lot of people doing this now. Just to get a reaction.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:06 am

Stu wrote:
Goose277 wrote:We all knew we didn't have the budget to compete for the play offs, and we all knew it was going to be difficult. Surely I'm not alone in thinking survival was always the order of the day and anything more will be a bonus.

I can't find the pre-season prediction thread, but there quite a few folk who thought we were capable of the play offs and a lot who thought we'd have a very comfortable season. Very few thought we'd be in a relegation dog fight, and although its very early days, its not looking good so far.

Absolutely. I hope SaddlerKen hasn't forgotten the £20 bet I've had with him (another one who thought we'd finish top 6!!!). To be fair , I'll let him off with the money already- he'd obviously been drinking that evening! I think it's going to be very interesting to see how certain poster's viewpoints are going to change over the next few months. Quite a few (the majority) thought we'd comfortably finish mid-table - now just staying up is viewed as a success!!!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:06 am

ws3 wrote:There are going to be a lot of people doing this now. Just to get a reaction.

And they only say it behind the safety of "im a fan you cant do anything to me"

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:09 am

ws3 wrote:There are going to be a lot of people doing this now. Just to get a reaction.

true ,DD is just as frustrated as we are . it s not going to help things.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:11 am

Well they are fans and they are fully entitled to tell the manager that things are not good enough and that he should sort it out.

I think there are some so-called "fans" who just like going to matches for the company and the ride on the coach and do not mind whether or not Walsall win.

We can keep on losing match after match and they remain content until they hear someone else who really does care about the club asking for the manager to do something about it. Then they really get upset.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:14 am

Bernie wrote:Well they are fans and they are fully entitled to tell the manager that things are not good enough and that he should sort it out.

I think there are some so-called "fans" who just like going to matches for the company and the ride on the coach and do not mind whether or not Walsall win.

We can keep on losing match after match and they remain content until they hear someone else who really does care about the club asking for the manager to do something about it. Then they really get upset.

DD knows without being told , he should not react , it will not help .

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:24 am

If the fan had said "DD your a *@#&$ *&%$£"* who could not *£$* his @$$%%£" or some such abusive remark then I would well understand DD reacting to it. Nobody in any job should have to put up with personal abuse. Even so it would be better if he were able to turn a deaf ear to it.

However if the remark quoted , "Not good enough Money, sort it out" was reasonably accurate, then I do not think that DD has anything to complain about.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Bernie wrote:However if the remark quoted , "Not good enough Money, sort it out" was reasonably accurate, then I do not think that DD has anything to complain about.

Stu said that MMF said it was something like that quote. I don't think we can reliably say that was what was said. Nevertheless, so long as it wasn't something personal against Money, I'd rather DD gave us the answer on the pitch rather than in a slanging match.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:22 pm

Stu wrote:

I'm surprised people genuinely thought this possible knowing we had the same budget as last year. I didn't think we'd be in a relegation dog fight and while it doesn't look too good so far, I'm more than confident that we'll be ok.

And yes, I'm very thankful to the FA as things stand.

Goose277
Glitterati

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:24 pm

sack wrote:Set the league on fire, mate we haven't won a single game.
Goose277 wrote:

I think you missed my point Sack

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:39 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:However if the remark quoted , "Not good enough Money, sort it out" was reasonably accurate, then I do not think that DD has anything to complain about.

Stu said that MMF said it was something like that quote. I don't think we can reliably say that was what was said. Nevertheless, so long as it wasn't something personal against Money, I'd rather DD gave us the answer on the pitch rather than in a slanging match.

Exactly.
I have to deal with abuse in my job , If I reacted like DD I would soon find myself out of work.
There are ways of dealing with these things , a slanging match between DD and fans will not help the situation .

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Having seen the goals on The Championship, I thought the following:
1. Foxy's goal was excellent, nice assist from Butler too
2. Slack defending from whoever was marking Mulligan for the second. Shouldn't have allowed him to get a shot off.
3. I like our McDonald's kit.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:31 pm

to be honest I think DD is doing himself no favours whatsoever if the quote is reasonably accurate. I was at the front at the end and virtually the entire away end applauded the players off, recognising that on another day we would have got one or even all three points considering the chances we had.

However the summary not good enough and it needs sorting out is stating the obvious. The fact is that certain aspects of the play were not good enough and do need sorting out, why DD should want to get involved in a slanging match with a fan with this point of view is beyond me, if indeed that is what (nearly) happened. Didn't see the incident myself however so can't confirm or deny. If and when DD does move on to bigger and better things in time this is something that he will need to address if he finds himself at a bigger club with bigger expectations he cannot continue to throw his toys out of the pram everytime someone moans. Develop a thick skin Dicky :wink:

I think the team and the squad lack balance at the moment and hopefully that is something that can be addressed. Even with our poor start however i still think we have enough (especially with a couple of good additions during the season) to survive comfortably, we just need to get up and running, hopefully against Fail on Saturday.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:02 pm

We can't rely on this "if" factor though for getting points, folk said it last week, they're saying it this week...

I'm sure Gills fans will say if their shot had gone in on the 45th minute instead of hitting the bar, they'd have been 3-1 up at half time and probably pushed on even further with that confidence.

Football is not about "ifs" unfortunately, its about actually doing.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:02 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:to be honest I think DD is doing himself no favours whatsoever if the quote is reasonably accurate. I was at the front at the end and virtually the entire away end applauded the players off, recognising that on another day we would have got one or even all three points considering the chances we had.

However the summary not good enough and it needs sorting out is stating the obvious. The fact is that certain aspects of the play were not good enough and do need sorting out, why DD should want to get involved in a slanging match with a fan with this point of view is beyond me, if indeed that is what (nearly) happened. Didn't see the incident myself however so can't confirm or deny. If and when DD does move on to bigger and better things in time this is something that he will need to address if he finds himself at a bigger club with bigger expectations he cannot continue to throw his toys out of the pram everytime someone moans. Develop a thick skin Dicky :wink:

I think the team and the squad lack balance at the moment and hopefully that is something that can be addressed. Even with our poor start however i still think we have enough (especially with a couple of good additions during the season) to survive comfortably, we just need to get up and running, hopefully against Fail on Saturday.

Agree with every word. We are playing reasonably well but are sloppy where it matters and are getting punished week after week, very alarming. I've watched us lose to two very poor league 1 teams this season in Orient and Gillingham, those opportunities to get points and a foothold in the division are now gone and we will have to perform much better against the better teams if we are to achieve that.

The most frustrating thing for me is that we look head and shoulders above everyone when it comes to fitness, If the tactic is to make an impression in the final third of the game then its simply not working because of our inability to take the chances we create.

Gillingham, like Orient and Carlisle before them were falling over with cramp after about an hour. We should be running these teams ragged to be honest. Only other bright spot for me yesterday was Sonko, looks a very good player, hope that Mawate is also!!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:52 pm

Agree with every word

I'll have to get that framed Geordie :lol: :wink:

Seriously though i find all this agreeing highly disagreable :lol:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:04 pm

Well Im going to stick my head on the line and criticise the golden boy, Scott Dann. The kid was useless yesterday. He was out of position for the first goal, as he tried to go on one of his mad runs, ended up in midfield and wasnt no-where near Mulligan. The second goal, Mr Dann passed the ball along the floor and was easily cut out and they broke and scored. OK Ince should have come off his line alot sooner (AGAIN) but it should never have got to that point.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:14 pm

i thought overall Dann was very good yesterday, i thought it was our Scouse friend who was all over the place and as a result dann spent most of his time worrying what his other half was up to :?

Dann might of been out of position on a couple of occasions but i dont think i saw Ant in position all match! Dann also did many things extremely well and made them look easy, the sign of a quality player. He reminds me a lot of Lee Sinnott when he was young. As a unit however i thought their 2 forwards gave our defence all sorts of problems and Clayton is not exactly inspiring confidence at the moment. Hopefully the new defence will settle down over the next few weeks because we neeed them too, and quick!!

Still its about opinions as they say and it would be a boring world if we all had the same one :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:19 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:Well Im going to stick my head on the line and criticise the golden boy, Scott Dann. The kid was useless yesterday. He was out of position for the first goal, as he tried to go on one of his mad runs, ended up in midfield and wasnt no-where near Mulligan. The second goal, Mr Dann passed the ball along the floor and was easily cut out and they broke and scored. OK Ince should have come off his line alot sooner (AGAIN) but it should never have got to that point.

That's what you've got to put up with if you want to give youth a chance. Criticism is fine until in turns into mindless moaning for the sake of it, which is what seemed to be happening regarding Anthony Gerrard.

sack

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:47 pm

reading through this thread there's some glareing absences. by the way mooney and sonner are out for vale, and bradley and sonko are on international duty as well.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:53 pm

sack wrote:reading through this thread there's some glareing absences. by the way mooney and sonner are out for vale, and bradley and sonko are on international duty as well.

When did he go back? :wink:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:54 pm

Stephen wrote:**** performace, **** place, **** fans. Cockney bastards.

Saw Ishmel's family. Nice people, having a laugh etc.

How did that get through the filter? :?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:04 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:

Love your avatar, one of the best films ever.

Stephen

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:11 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:

:D

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season