Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) League 1 Saturday 1st September 2007

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:39 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:It's never wrong. I will happily put my £20 towards next seasons season ticket. :P

I'd have some of that as well, but it's probably best left to you two. Going down we are not!

Who is the HK guy who speaks like that? Wish he would come back!

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:29 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:It's never wrong. I will happily put my £20 towards next seasons season ticket. :P

I'd have some of that as well, but it's probably best left to you two. Going down we are not!

Wasn't that Cat3? He made Big Baz look like the Chairman of the Doom&Gloom Brigate.

Go Go Sads.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:47 am

Stu wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Wasn't that Cat3? He made Big Baz look like the Chairman of the Doom&Gloom Brigate.

Go Go Sads.

Thats him :lol: Come back Cat3

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:11 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:Thats him :lol: Come back Cat3

I think he still lurks.. didn't he go on HK's South-East Asian Saddlers Night Out not too long back?

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:34 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:
Thats him :lol: Come back Cat3

Yeah, bring back the Cat...

Cueball
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:40 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:

If I have any more bets on us to go down - I actually will want us to!! To be fair to MMF, he invited the more negative/realistic posters
among us to put our money where our mouth is, which is a good call (I tried to do it with Big Baz but he wasn't interested!!). I will happily
give MMF £20 towards next year's season ticket, but I think there is more than a small chance that he will sadly be paying towards mine.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:21 pm

Im not a gambling man

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:36 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Stu wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:The dissapointing side to this is that certain individuals "Tinned", "Bernie" etc are actually over the moon that we have started so badly. This is because a) they have this dislike of DD our best manager since Sir Ray, and b) Because they got it so so wrong last season when they were preaching doom and gloom.

Come on lads let it go, dont go and make yourselves look stupid again. UTS

I think thats bang out of order to be honest...

Me too, me too. But, in fairness, I have to add that I didn't think tinned's response was all that clever either.

I'll concede that my response last night did me no favours, and I'd like to apologise to anybody that was offended by it. I'd also like to apologise to whichever Mod had the job of blanking out my foul language.

I will not apologise to WFCNIL however. That is the second time in a few days that he has brought my loyalty into question just because I have the nerve to hold, and make known, opposite views to his own. After going home and away for nearly 21 years I strongly reject any claims that I enjoy Walsall losing just so I can bleat "I told you so" to everyone. What a pathetic and infantile thing to think. How come 99% of people that disagree with the views of us that are not so optimistic can do so in a mature and respectful way, but just one has to resort to responses better found in the playground?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:43 pm

Stu wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:The dissapointing side to this is that certain individuals "Tinned", "Bernie" etc are actually over the moon that we have started so badly. This is because a) they have this dislike of DD our best manager since Sir Ray, and b) Because they got it so so wrong last season when they were preaching doom and gloom.

I think thats bang out of order to be honest... I know the former and I'm sure he isn't "over the moon" in any way, shape or form at our start. I can't vouch for Bernie, but I think he has been realistic more than negative.

As for "last season when they were preaching doom and gloom", I keep saying this and people keep ignoring it. DD did exactly what the likes of Tinned, and myself, were saying at the end of last season. When we were wobbling, which we were, Tinned, myself and others said we needed some width, pace and energy into the side if we were to ensure we didn't lose the start we'd made.

What did DD do, he added exactly that, what happened, we recovered our form, got some good points and promotion came.

Hence I'd say he was proved right last season. Rather than saying "We'll get promoted regardless", he said we needed to make the right addition to get promoted, DD went out and did that because he also saw it needed to be done and we got promoted.

So the 'doom and gloom' mongers didn't get it so wrong, I'd say that they got it spot on and DD agreed with what they were saying needed to be done, quite clearly.
And for what its worth, I still stick to my pre-season guess of anywhere between 14th - 20th for us. I can see why there are causes for concern so far as problems needed to be sorted out sooner rather than later, but I can see the positives. Whether we can realise the positives is a different story and is down to DD and the players.

Great post Stu, and absolutely spot-on IMHO.

Personally, I'm fed up of the "realistic" posters being branded as "doom and gloom" merchants.

It ain't right now, and even though it's early days it needs fixing. Maybe the injured players coming back will sort it, but if not then hopefully the people that matter will know that, and action will follow in due course.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:03 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Stu wrote:

I think thats bang out of order to be honest... I know the former and I'm sure he isn't "over the moon" in any way, shape or form at our start. I can't vouch for Bernie, but I think he has been realistic more than negative.

As for "last season when they were preaching doom and gloom", I keep saying this and people keep ignoring it. DD did exactly what the likes of Tinned, and myself, were saying at the end of last season. When we were wobbling, which we were, Tinned, myself and others said we needed some width, pace and energy into the side if we were to ensure we didn't lose the start we'd made.

What did DD do, he added exactly that, what happened, we recovered our form, got some good points and promotion came.

Hence I'd say he was proved right last season. Rather than saying "We'll get promoted regardless", he said we needed to make the right addition to get promoted, DD went out and did that because he also saw it needed to be done and we got promoted.

So the 'doom and gloom' mongers didn't get it so wrong, I'd say that they got it spot on and DD agreed with what they were saying needed to be done, quite clearly.
And for what its worth, I still stick to my pre-season guess of anywhere between 14th - 20th for us. I can see why there are causes for concern so far as problems needed to be sorted out sooner rather than later, but I can see the positives. Whether we can realise the positives is a different story and is down to DD and the players.

Great post Stu, and absolutely spot-on IMHO.

Personally, I'm fed up of the "realistic" posters being branded as "doom and gloom" merchants.

It ain't right now, and even though it's early days it needs fixing. Maybe the injured players coming back will sort it, but if not then hopefully the people that matter will know that, and action will follow in due course.

thats why i remain optimistic Geoff . I Honest believe the people who matter will sort it out . call me an happy clapper I have every faith in DD
Performances have not been as bad as many on here make out , individual errors missed chances have cost us , put that right we aint to far away , and a little bit of luck would'nt go amiss.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:07 pm

I have been accused of being a happy clapper dave by kev and a few others.

WFCNIL

Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:12 pm

tinned wrote:
Stu wrote:

Me too, me too. But, in fairness, I have to add that I didn't think tinned's response was all that clever either.

I'll concede that my response last night did me no favours, and I'd like to apologise to anybody that was offended by it. I'd also like to apologise to whichever Mod had the job of blanking out my foul language.

I will not apologise to WFCNIL however. That is the second time in a few days that he has brought my loyalty into question just because I have the nerve to hold, and make known, opposite views to his own. After going home and away for nearly 21 years I strongly reject any claims that I enjoy Walsall losing just so I can bleat "I told you so" to everyone. What a pathetic and infantile thing to think. How come 99% of people that disagree with the views of us that are not so optimistic can do so in a mature and respectful way, but just one has to resort to responses better found in the playground?

Didnt no I had asked for an apology ??. Carry on you have your views I have mine. Its only football for gods sake :lol: :lol:

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:22 pm

So, football's for God's sake.

Has he a season ticket?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:54 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:So, football's for God's sake.

Has he a season ticket?

Nah, he's nailed to the Bescot floodlights.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:20 pm

WFCNIL wrote:
tinned wrote:
Stu wrote:

Didnt no I had asked for an apology ??. Carry on you have your views I have mine. Its only football for gods sake :lol: :lol:

You don't have views that's my point (well none you bother to share on here). All I ever see you do is question the loyalty or sanity of people that have the nerve to disagree with you.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:30 pm

To actually question tinned's loyalty and claim he gets pleasure from us losing in order to bleat is, quite frankly, absolutely and utterly ridiculous.

He is just expressing the concerns some of us have. We all want us to do well.

it's just a case of some being more emotional than others in a desire for us to get points on the board

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:42 pm

Cannock wrote:To actually question tinned's loyalty and claim he gets pleasure from us losing in order to bleat is, quite frankly, absolutely and utterly ridiculous.

He is just expressing the concerns some of us have. We all want us to do well.

it's just a case of some being more emotional than others in a desire for us to get points on the board

You after a pint on Saturday? :wink:

Cannock
UTS Regular

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:51 pm

yes indeedy :lol:

WFCNIL

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:16 pm

Has he a season ticket?

Yeh 4 actually for the last 40 yrs how about you sunshine :lol: :lol:

WFCNIL

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Has he a season ticket?

Nah, he's nailed to the Bescot floodlights.

I wondered who that was next to me :wink:

WFCNIL

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:17 pm

tinned wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:
tinned wrote:
Stu wrote:

You don't have views that's my point (well none you bother to share on here). All I ever see you do is question the loyalty or sanity of people that have the nerve to disagree with you.

Your not looking very hard then are you
???

WSOne
UTS Regular

Walsall Advertiser report

Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Walsall may have sported their striking new yellow and red third-choice kit on Saturday, but they were hardly lovin’ it in the warm Kent sunshine.

An opening-day draw with Carlisle United followed by four straight setbacks would probably endanger the famous smile of Ronald McDonald, so fellow forever-optimists could be forgiven for fearing a season of struggle.

Richard Money’s mid-week condemnation of premature negativity was acknowledged and accepted by most fans, though some perceived it as another unnecessary public rant.

Worryingly, his side’s defensive lapses and inability to convert chances has bitten them on the backside for the third week in succession.

There have been glimpses of light at the end of the tunnel, subtle signs which suggest that elusive victory will not evade them for much longer, but they will face stronger opposition over the coming months who are to provide sterner examinations of their League One credentials.

Fallen giants Leeds United, who commenced the campaign on minus 15 points as punishment for their much-publicised financial troubles, are now breathing down their necks at the foot of the table – May’s title ecstasy seems a distant and missed memory.

The Saddlers made a sluggish start to proceedings and it came as no surprise when Gillingham deservedly opened the scoring on the quarter-hour mark.

Irish forward Gary Mulligan, on his return from injury, redirected Delroy Facey’s deft flick-on beyond the reach of Clayton Ince to send the Priestfield faithful wild with delight.

But the visitors’ response was excellent; Daniel Fox taking down Martin Butler’s headed assist before smacking an unstoppable left-foot rocket across the face of Simon Royce and into top corner.

Ronnie Jepson’s Gills restored their advantage 14 minutes later thanks to another deadly Facey-Mulligan combination.

Much-travelled powerhouse Facey won his umpteenth aerial battle, this time overcoming the struggling Anthony Gerrard, which put through strike partner Mulligan to net his second of the match.

There could have been more goals before half-time: Mulligan clipping the crossbar with an acrobatic effort, Royce brilliantly tipping Troy Deeney’s shot onto the post and Butler nipping behind the hosts’ backline before firing wide from an acute angle.

Money’s men upped the tempo after the interval but predictably were left to rue another batch of wasted opportunities in front of goal.

Welsh full-back Rhys Weston and substitute Edrissa Sonko both came close to clearing the uncovered stand with textbook spoons, though a stinging Butler drive forced Royce into a flying full-stretch save.

Darren Wrack almost marked a fine midfield showing with an unlikely stoppage-time leveller; his volley flashing through a sea of blue and yellow shirts before rattling the frame of the goal.

“My feeling is that we did more than enough to have taken something out of the game,” bemoaned Money after the final whistle. “We have had more shots at goal in the last three games than we did in 10 matches last season, but the difference is we are being punished for any little costly error.”

8)

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season