Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swansea City (H) League 1- Saturday 25th August 2007

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
benbo85

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:48 pm

As a team performance it was horrendous. Swansea' forwards and midfielders' movement ripped us up at the back, tearing us apart. Weston may have got some additional stick from the Swansea fans but he was at fault for there first two goals, Robinson had him in his pocket all game. Wrack is on a downward fall unfortunately, can't fault his effort and determination but the quality is not there any more, i also think (as it should) that his injury has had a major bearing on his game. Numerous tackles he pulled out of and half heartedly tried to win. We look poor throughout, the one threat we had on Sat was pace through Ishy, strange to see Money revert him to the wing so early after a bright start? Dobson was brought off a little early for me and was providing us with more guile than Sonner was - who was off the pace. Dann and Ropes are going to find it increasingly difficult this season but need more protection from the other players which at the minute isn't happening. Butler is getting a lot of stick at the moment and has done for large periods of last season, its difficult with Butler because he is giving us everything he can, effort and determination as ever but no real quality, with some decent chances on Sat he should have done beter with. Positives from Sat were Boertien who looked bright and solid for most of the game, Ishy's start up front and the chances (although we missed them). If you think back to the chances we did have, a little more luck on our part, better defending and finishing, and we might have got something from Sat.....but overall pretty dismal performance. Point ll do us at Gillingham

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:53 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Just to go on the record, I don't think Money is the best manager in the world like some do, I think his signings this summer, and the tactics we've always played under him are very poor.

Of all the controversial posts you've made mate, I think that line may be the one that attracts most "interest".

Can't say I'm too far away from your thinking btw.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:21 pm

tinned wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Just to go on the record, I don't think Money is the best manager in the world like some do, I think his signings this summer, and the tactics we've always played under him are very poor.

Of all the controversial posts you've made mate, I think that line may be the one that attracts most "interest".

Can't say I'm too far away from your thinking btw.

It certainly attracts my interest. The first bit is a statement of the obvious - if he was the best manager in the world then he wouldn't be managing in League 1. It's too early to judge on the second statement as we've only played three games and (hopefully) he hasn't finished his summer signings. Provisionally, I think they'll be hit and miss like those of all other managers on a budget at this level. The final statement (about tactics) goes against most of the available evidence. Surely the point of any football tactic is to win matches - something that we achieved last season irrespective of whether or not those tactics were entertaining. So far this season we've been a bit naive tactically I admit, but it's a bit early for that to outweigh the success of last season's tactics in assessing Money as a manager.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:56 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Just to go on the record,
1) I don't think Money is the best manager in the world like some do.
2) I think his signings this summer, and the tactics we've always played under him are very poor.
3) Our midfield is slow and ponderous, weak in the tackle and has little or no movement.
4) We could do with an assistant manager, a midfielder who can run faster than me and a striker. But wait, that costs money!

1) Agreed - but I think that he IS one of the six best managers that WFC has had (along with Bill Moore, Ray Graydon, Chris Nicholl, Colin Lee and Alan Buckley, before you ask).
2) Signings - very much a mixed bunch - tactics - well he got the best out of the Merson mess, which was more than many would have managed. Not very entertaining but VERY effective. To be fair to DD, he has shown signs of different tactics, this season.
3) Very true.
4) Absolutely - on all counts.

benbo85

Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:37 pm

agree on all accounts! would you not put Coakley in top 5 or 6? assistant manager could be a massive signing for us, cant think of last one we had? pretty sure merse had 1?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:49 pm

Mal wrote:My team for the Gills

Ince
Boertien,Gerrard,Dann,Weston
Fox,Wrack,Sonner,Sonko
Ishy, Mooney

Subs:Canary, Dobson, Bossu, Butler, Deeney

3 strikers on the bench and no defender for an away game? I don't think so.

Whilst I also feel changes are needed, we have to be careful we don't fall into the trap of changing anything we can for the sake of it. I'd start with Ishmel on the left on the basis that he'll have more space on the wing, which should see us get more service to Mooney and Butler up front. We then have the oportunity to move him up front if we feel the need to change things later on.

Agree with you on the centre of midfield, but I'll be surprised if Money drops his captain. I also think Hall is a better option than Sonko at the moment. Hall was good at orient and I didn't think he was worse than anyone else at the weekend.
Of course, there is still the possibility that we'l bring in a player or 2 before next weekend.

Part of me just wants to say that we need to face up to the fact that we were beaten by a much better side on Saturday. Let's dust ourselves down, learn from our mistakes and move on.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:33 pm

My team for gillingham would be this: Ince weston dann gerrard boertin
Wrack Tramp Bradley Ishy
Butler Mooney
Subs: Bossu, Dobbo, smith, Hall , Deeny

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:46 pm

I would go for

Ince
Weston - Gerrard - Dann - Boertien
Hall - Sonner - Fox - Sonko
Butler - Ishmel

Subs Bossu - Smith - Dobson - Nicholls - Carneiro.

Previous
Return to 2007-08 Season