Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swansea City (A) Carling Cup - Tuesday 14th August 2007

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
Who moved the goalposts?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:27 am

Weston in at right-back, Roper in for Gerrard. Wrack moved to play further forward (just behind Mooney IMO until we delve into the transfer market as he would be a definite improvement on Carlos and would help link up from our defensively minded central midfield)

Saturday:
Ince
Weston (if fit)
Roper
Dann
Boertin
Nicholls
Dobson
Sonner
Fox (there's no way DD will start with Ishmel)
Wrack
Mooney

We definitely need to bring in some creativity in midfield and find Mooney a partner. With our team from the last two games we line up with 8 defensively minded players and only 3 (Hall, Mooney and Carlos) who I'd class as attacking players. Not good enough.

Let's wait for the "Lester scored last night" and "Bradbury scored a hat-trick...why did we let him go" comments from the negativity brigade :roll: . I'm not massively optimistic with the squad we've got but it will only take a bit of tweaking and we'd be easily top half. I'm sure DD knows that.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:38 am

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:Ince
Weston (if fit)
Roper
Dann
Boertin
Nicholls
Dobson
Sonner
Wrack
Mooney

I would certainly agree with most of your comments. However, (i) Weston has not even played in a friendly yet. I can't see DD plunging him straight into the first team. (ii) why drop Gerrard? He has played well so far and Roper is not yet match fit. He needs some reserve games and must shed a few kilograms. I agree that DD will still not have enough confidence in Ishy to start him. You have correctly identified the two glaring weaknesses, though - the central midfield partnership of Dobson and Sonner and the lack of a strike partner for Mooney. Whether these two problems are quickly addressed, or not, will make or mar our season.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:48 am

My main fear is tha DD will revert back to what has worked for him best in the past if things dont go well in the first 12 games or so....i.e....kick and rush and a 10 man defence....I would be prepared to give DD the full 3 yrs of his contract to find a formular that works....just as long as we dont have to endure that negative rubbish again.

Who moved the goalposts?

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:56 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:
Who moved the goalposts? wrote:Ince
Weston (if fit)
Roper
Dann
Boertin
Nicholls
Dobson
Sonner
Wrack
Mooney

I would certainly agree with most of your comments. However, (i) Weston has not even played in a friendly yet. I can't see DD plunging him straight into the first team. (ii) why drop Gerrard? He has played well so far and Roper is not yet match fit. He needs some reserve games and must shed a few kilograms. I agree that DD will still not have enough confidence in Ishy to start him. You have correctly identified the two glaring weaknesses, though - the central midfield partnership of Dobson and Sonner and the lack of a strike partner for Mooney. Whether these two problems are quickly addressed, or not, will make or mar our season.

Very true but I feel if Roper has been on the bench then he can't be too far away from full fitness. I just think that Dann and Roper is by far our best defensive partnership. (Gerrard has a tendency to switch off and make silly errors). However, only DD knows if Roper is fit enough as we don't know the full situation. If he's not fit then he doesn't play - simple. Same with Weston really, if he's fit then he should be in the team as he's the only genuine right-back we have.

concretehippo

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:10 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Weston is ginger. Roper is fat. Butler is at Posh and Ishmel has an asbo. We stand no chance. Certain relegation this season. :roll:

Just need a sporty one and the spice girls reunion on the pitch on Saturday is complete. :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:21 am

Carneiro useless?

and to think Bonser promised us a strike force to be proud of and to excite us... Good 'ol Jeff.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:43 am

I would suspect that we were forced to start the same 16 as Saturday for reasons in addition to injury.
As usual, we're slower off the mark than the rest due to STM's assortment of ragbag foreigners arriving in the week before the season.
The team tonight has barely played together and is considerably altered from the last season's championship winners.
The exercise was merely to get these players used to playing together and by the sounds of it they need to.

I am aware that we are allowed to sign players up to the 31st August and that certain players are injured, however I was fearful of this situation arising during the close season and if things don't improve at Orient, I may be proved right. Of particluar concern is the midfield where there appears to a creativity level approching nil. Just because the option is there up to the 31st, it is surely better to get the targeted key players in sooner so they can gel with the rest.

I would however have to question the wisdom of not using more of the youngsters, even coming on as substitutes, last night.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:44 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Myself and saddlerken never waived from the fact we said we would be promoted last season, even through our dodgier spells. Same goes for Dave Dean and Geordie.

This wasn't based on blind faith, it was based on the qualities we saw. We were right, the doom mongers were wrong, just as they are now.

We were right last time and we will be again because we based our views on the facts and the evidence. We had all the deficiencies last season that people are bringing up now but it didn't matter then and if the right signings come in, it won't matter now either.

I'm sorry, but for those that call you arrogant, the pieces in bold are some of the most arrogant I've seen from anyone to be honest, that includes Sheff.

I was one of those that said we'd blow promotion, I also based that on fact, the fact being we were struggling to create goals, possessed very little width, very little pace and very little creativity.

Strangely enough, we then signed a couple of players who fixed the above problem and we got promoted.

Therefore, I was right. There were people saying we'd be promoted based on "blind faith", who ignored the lack of pace, creativity and width. That was "blind faith". The "doom mongers" you mention, e.g. the likes of Tinned, were saying the same as me and were ultimately also proved right as it was the addition of width, pace and creativity that played a big part in pushing us over the finishing line.

If we'd followed some of those who seemed to want to "carry on as normal" then I personally think we would have blown it. In my view, it was Kevin Harper and probably Kevin Harper's introduction alone last season that effectively secured the promotion that we came close to losing at times.

So you weren't right and they weren't wrong. The ones that were wrong were the ones that said we'd bottle it regardless of who we signed.

Purple Stand Pigeon

Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:53 am

Stu wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Myself and saddlerken never waived from the fact we said we would be promoted last season, even through our dodgier spells. Same goes for Dave Dean and Geordie.

This wasn't based on blind faith, it was based on the qualities we saw. We were right, the doom mongers were wrong, just as they are now.

We were right last time and we will be again because we based our views on the facts and the evidence. We had all the deficiencies last season that people are bringing up now but it didn't matter then and if the right signings come in, it won't matter now either.

I'm sorry, but for those that call you arrogant, the pieces in bold are some of the most arrogant I've seen from anyone to be honest, that includes Sheff.

Just living up to my tag Stu.

And I was right because I had faith in DD to bring in the right players at the right time. The doom mongers were at the same time slating Lazyquest (quit rightly), Tommy Wright and others. But he knew what we needed and bought in just what we needed, when we needed. I didn't doubt that because he used his budget wisely, and I think he is doing the same now.

He has money to spend right this minute but will only spend it on the right players with the right character. I for one am glad of this because I don't want any manager to waste money just because it's there. Scott Fitzgerald and Andrew Barrowman anyone?

Sorry, if that's arrogant, it was meant tongue in cheek but if you take it seriously, then I was completely right because we won promotion and if you look back to those match threads I shared the same concerns at the time I just didn't dwell on them and predicted the world would end.

That's the difference. Some offer balance in their argument, some don't. not everything is all happiness and light but not everything is hell all the time. Bear in mind that I was one of the most negative around when Merson was in charge....because it was warranted, most of the negativity last season and already this, isn't.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:07 am

But thats the point, its not negativity. You say you trusted DD to know what was wrong and to correct it.

So is Tinned and the others your having a go at. The only difference between you and them is that they're pointing out what we're missing, you know whats missing but aren't stating it in black and white because you trust DD to get it right.

Where does Tinned or any of the others say that they don't trust DD to get it right? I don't see them saying it to be honest, I don't see anyone saying that he doesn't know whats needed and he doesn't know what needs to be done.

So, in short, your saying the same as them ultimately, just in a very different way.

There does seem to be a bit of a "Happy Clapper" mentality going on at the moment, where unless you say "Trust DD, he will get it right" then your immediately type-cast as negative, doom-mongering and not worthy of having an opinion.

That's how I see it anyway. There seems to be nigh-on persecution going on at times, the sort of "your wrong, you don't know what your talking about" and ignoring, or even rubbishing, their opinion.

Having said all that, for me, personally, there are problems that need to be rectified, I thought they were evident pre-season without seeing a ball kicked and I still do. Like you though, I trust DD to know what these are and I trust him to get the right players in, as he did last season when the gaps were there to be seen. But I see nothing wrong in stating on here what I believe the problem areas are.

futuresobright

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:15 am

He has money to spend right this minute but will only spend it on the right players with the right character. I for one am glad of this because I don't want any manager to waste money just because it's there. Scott Fitzgerald and Andrew Barrowman anyone?

Yeah right... and Lyall, Par Cederqvist, Picken, Fangueiro, Bedeau, Sam, Butler, Dobson etc were just a dream (nightmare).
And playing Fox, Keates and Taylor on the left in preference to Ishy was clearly a masterstroke because we got promoted.
And 'character', especially of the 35+ vintage, is just what we need instead headless chickens like Keates. I mean Hall and Sonner in midfiled have solved all our problems in that vital area.
How anyone can criticse our manager is beyond belief.
Let's give him a contract for life before a bigger club recognises the genius so many Walsall fans fail to appreciate. We are not worthy.

Purple Stand Pigeon

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:26 am

Stu wrote:But thats the point, its not negativity. You say you trusted DD to know what was wrong and to correct it.

So is Tinned and the others your having a go at. The only difference between you and them is that they're pointing out what we're missing, you know whats missing but aren't stating it in black and white because you trust DD to get it right.

Where does Tinned or any of the others say that they don't trust DD to get it right? I don't see them saying it to be honest, I don't see anyone saying that he doesn't know whats needed and he doesn't know what needs to be done.

So, in short, your saying the same as them ultimately, just in a very different way.

There does seem to be a bit of a "Happy Clapper" mentality going on at the moment, where unless you say "Trust DD, he will get it right" then your immediately type-cast as negative, doom-mongering and not worthy of having an opinion.

That's how I see it anyway. There seems to be nigh-on persecution going on at times, the sort of "your wrong, you don't know what your talking about" and ignoring, or even rubbishing, their opinion.

Having said all that, for me, personally, there are problems that need to be rectified, I thought they were evident pre-season without seeing a ball kicked and I still do. Like you though, I trust DD to know what these are and I trust him to get the right players in, as he did last season when the gaps were there to be seen. But I see nothing wrong in stating on here what I believe the problem areas are.

Where have I said there aren't any problems? I see all the problems that others do, I just don't see the need to dwell on them until DD has experimented to solve them. We've played two games and the transfer window is still open.

I see Wrack solving the lack of creativity problem in midfield and or Bradley if you want to add pace.

I see Ishy solving the pace problem up front and being able to take advantage of our defensiveness to hit teams on the break.

I see Nicholls giving us some pace on the wings.

I'm sure DD is too. Why doubt the man who just won us the league despite all the problems he encountered last season? He'll face more this season and I'm sure he'll handle them just as well.

If after 10-15 games we're in the bottom 6 have no fear that I will be turning up the heat myself, but lets wait to see what happens first, that's all I'm saying.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:33 am

Just a note for Sheffield Saddler - Dann and Gerrard were (as I think I said) "NOT FAR SHORT OF IMMENSE". Please don't take one word from the report, such as it was, out of context. :roll:

:wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:37 am

Purple Stand Pigeon wrote:Where have I said there aren't any problems? I see all the problems that others do, I just don't see the need to dwell on them until DD has experimented to solve them. We've played two games and the transfer window is still open.

I see Wrack solving the lack of creativity problem in midfield and or Bradley if you want to add pace.

I see Ishy solving the pace problem up front and being able to take advantage of our defensiveness to hit teams on the break.

I'm sure DD is too. Why doubt the man who just won us the league despite all the problems he encountered last season? He'll face more this season and I'm sure he'll handle them just as well.

If after 10-15 games we're in the bottom 6 have no fear that I will be turning up the heat myself, but lets wait to see what happens first, that's all I'm saying.

Crossed wires a bit there I think, I didn't say you don't see any problems. I said that the difference is you don't state them in black and white like Tinned does. You both recognise there are problems, you don't list them as you trust DD to sort it. I bet if you were both asked to list the problems, you'd actually probably come up with a very similar list.
Nobody is doubting him, I think 99% of us (BoringNotBright apart) to fix the problems.

The difference is how posters express their opinions and my complaint seems to be that those who express it negatively are being hammered for it and being told, in some cases, they don't know what they're on about or aren't as knowledgeable.

The only point above I'd question is Nicholls, he'll give us pace, but will he give us the end product needed. I don't think so, not yet anyway.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 am

I did point out to tinned last night the same thing, that as a reader of the board, it comes over that he only has negative veiws, where as MMF is much the opposite, and concentrates on the good.

Myself, i find it bizzare the moaning that went on last night, firstly because it was only the second game of the season, and secondly cos most of the people on the threads hadn't been to the game ( I didn't either)

Was talking to a bloke at work last night, who's son had been, he reckoned we were pretty poor, but still had enough chances to win the game comfortable.

I don't for see any great problems for us this season, although I would be happier if we made a decent kind of start, as relegation battles are easy to get dragged in to.

It is surprising how things work out in football. Out of Sonner, Hall , and Mooney, I thought before i saw a ball kicked that Hall was the best of the three signings, having watched saturday, he looked the worst of the 3. Just one game, lets all just see how things go for a month or two

Purple Stand Pigeon

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:49 am

Stu wrote:
Purple Stand Pigeon wrote:Where have I said there aren't any problems? I see all the problems that others do, I just don't see the need to dwell on them until DD has experimented to solve them. We've played two games and the transfer window is still open.

Crossed wires a bit there I think, I didn't say you don't see any problems. I said that the difference is you don't state them in black and white like Tinned does. You both recognise there are problems, you don't list them as you trust DD to sort it. I bet if you were both asked to list the problems, you'd actually probably come up with a very similar list.
Nobody is doubting him, I think 99% of us (BoringNotBright apart) to fix the problems.

The difference is how posters express their opinions and my complaint seems to be that those who express it negatively are being hammered for it and being told, in some cases, they don't know what they're on about or aren't as knowledgeable.

The only point above I'd question is Nicholls, he'll give us pace, but will he give us the end product needed. I don't think so, not yet anyway.

I agree about Nicholls but I'm willing to see him try so we can make our minds up for sure. That's what this season is about for me.

You're right, we would all come up with a list of the same things and trust me if you sat by me at the match I'll pick out individual faults all the time but then a minute later I'll be singing my head off. I suppose it's better to put concerns on here but I don't think we're at the stage where they need to be in the majority yet and that's what UTS seems like to me at the moment.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:51 am

Stu wrote:The difference is how posters express their opinions and my complaint seems to be that those who express it negatively are being hammered for it and being told, in some cases, they don't know what they're on about or aren't as knowledgeable.

Sorry to wade in to the two-way conversation, but I'd just take issue with this point. As someone who is near the happy-clappy end of the spectrum, its not the viewpoints themselves that are the problem, or how they're expressed, its the constant battering of negativity from certain posters who are so quick to point out what's wrong and much less generous with their praise. I can understand that if we're doing badly, I'd been as gloomy as anyone then, but when we're doing well it seems a bit misplaced. Whether its nitpicking (the walls are white, the scoreboard doesn't work) or the obvious deficiencies that we can all see (short on numbers in midfield, lack of an obvious strike partner for Mooney), to hear the same complaints from the same people day after day does rather give the impression that the sky is falling in.

We all want the same thing, we'd all probably go about it in the same way, I think DD deserves a bit of leeway and a bit of patience to prove to us all that he is going to get things as right this season as he did last.

Purple Stand Pigeon

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:54 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:It is surprising how things work out in football. Out of Sonner, Hall , and Mooney, I thought before i saw a ball kicked that Hall was the best of the three signings, having watched saturday, he looked the worst of the 3. Just one game, lets all just see how things go for a month or two

I agree about Hall, I was expecting more. It may yet follow. I think when he signed he was expecting Byfield to follow soon after and that hasn't happened, yet. But that shouldn't affect his own performances.

I've been impressed with Sonner. He's as fit as Keates, his passing range is superb and his set pieces are good. Different players but I think he suits playing alongside Dobson better but he must be allowed to get forward more.

The point someone made about Wrack playing off Mooney would work for me, it would allow Mooney and Sonner to sit and Wrack could be the link between them and going forward. Only problem then is we still haven't got the pace, but that could be provided from the wings.

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:55 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
Stu wrote:The difference is how posters express their opinions and my complaint seems to be that those who express it negatively are being hammered for it and being told, in some cases, they don't know what they're on about or aren't as knowledgeable.

We all want the same thing, we'd all probably go about it in the same way, I think DD deserves a bit of leeway and a bit of patience to prove to us all that he is going to get things as right this season as he did last.

Is he not getting that then?

I spose its what somebodies perception of being negative is. Stating in black and white where somebody believes the problems are isn't being negative in my view, its being realistic.

Being negative would be some clodhopper saying "DD has it wrong, doesn't know what he is doing, he is clueless" etc etc etc.

Maybe some folk should put the positives about more and maybe they come across as negative to some. I sort of see that, I just don't see the need to rubbish opinions and tell them they are wrong.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:56 am

Sorry to wade in to the two-way conversation, but I'd just take issue with this point. As someone who is near the happy-clappy end of the spectrum, its not the viewpoints themselves that are the problem, or how they're expressed, its the constant battering of negativity from certain posters who are so quick to point out what's wrong and much less generous with their praise. I can understand that if we're doing badly, I'd been as gloomy as anyone then, but when we're doing well it seems a bit misplaced. Whether its nitpicking (the walls are white, the scoreboard doesn't work) or the obvious deficiencies that we can all see (short on numbers in midfield, lack of an obvious strike partner for Mooney), to hear the same complaints from the same people day after day does rather give the impression that the sky is falling in.

Hear, hear. It is this club's transfer policy that undermines the manager, not any deficiency in his capability.
However, I'd still like to know why we have had a faulty scoreboard for 99% of the time since the stadium opened. :wink:

Purple Stand Pigeon

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:00 am

leics_saddler wrote:

Hear, hear. It is this club's transfer policy that undermines the manager, not any deficiency in his capability.
However, I'd still like to know why we have had a faulty scoreboard for 99% of the time since the stadium opened. :wink:

I think the scoreboard is so used to listening to moaning fans it wonders whether it's own existence is worthwhile.

That or probably because it's second hand tat.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:01 am

Purple Stand Pigeon wrote:
Stu wrote:But thats the point, its not negativity. You say you trusted DD to know what was wrong and to correct it.

Where have I said there aren't any problems? I see all the problems that others do, I just don't see the need to dwell on them until DD has experimented to solve them. We've played two games and the transfer window is still open.

If after 10-15 games we're in the bottom 6 have no fear that I will be turning up the heat myself, but lets wait to see what happens first, that's all I'm saying

wise words , a good performance and result on saturday , Swansea will be forgotten , and we know we are capable of that.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:01 am

Wrack is certainly best used in an attacking role of some kind. I guess at the moment it is a case of having to play full back cos we have no one else, which is a bit worrying, but I see what DD is thinking, not spending any of the budget on a full back to sit on the bench.

Despite being told otherwise on here saturday, Wrack does have quality at this level, his ball retention is as good as anyone in the squad, and although he can't go on runs all the time like when he was younger, he does do it now and again.

The floating role seems ideal for him, but i think DD would only let him have one of those as a second striker, so he can keep the shape of the team

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:48 am

It might just be me, but I'd like to see Wrack in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 as the right sided attacking player... Mooney at the point, with Ishmel on the left and Wrack (or even Hall) on the right hand side.

That'd give DD the defensive solidary he likes when defending, but really give us a bit more options when going forward. I think Wrack would be great in that role, having the flexibility to stay wide or float inside and use the ball.

It'd also give us the option of an extra body in midfield which would seem helpful at times, as you could push Dobson back in front of the back 4 and still have 2 central midfielders.

I did think it was an option last season, and thought it might be something he'd look at one day.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:50 am

I think it could work, I think Mooney could play the lone striker.

If you play 4-5-1, you need at least one player who will support the attack from the center of midfield.

Purple Stand Pigeon

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:04 am

Stu wrote:It might just be me, but I'd like to see Wrack in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 as the right sided attacking player... Mooney at the point, with Ishmel on the left and Wrack (or even Hall) on the right hand side.

That'd give DD the defensive solidary he likes when defending, but really give us a bit more options when going forward. I think Wrack would be great in that role, having the flexibility to stay wide or float inside and use the ball.

It'd also give us the option of an extra body in midfield which would seem helpful at times, as you could push Dobson back in front of the back 4 and still have 2 central midfielders.

I did think it was an option last season, and thought it might be something he'd look at one day.

It was talked about in pre-season as DD doesn't want to waste what Wrack can offer, and it may well happen yet.

jack-the-lad

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:44 am

Haven't read any of the posts on the game yet so here's my thoughts.

I thought we were pretty cack to be honest, but I also thought Swansea were not much better if better at all. We had about 10-15 minutes play in the first half where we played well and realised that they weren't very good, Mooney missed an absolutely golden opportunity. But after not taking that chance they went up the other end a few minutes later and scored. Swansea had a couple of good players, their best being the little centre midfielder playing his first senior appearance, looks very good.

Ince - couldn't really fault him, didn't have anything to do, couldn't do anything about their goals. Kicking still crap.

Wrack - good in patches, bad in patches. Usual performance from him really but I don't mind him filling in at right back - he can do a decent job there for sure.

Dann - goes without saying he was the best again

Gerrard - another good game I thought

Boertien - didn't do a lot, didn't do anything wrong.

Hall - I think he's good, got a few unlucky bounces with the ball but did give a few away as well. I little below average

Sonner - pants

Dobson - another good game. Did well, gave his all

Fox - cack

Mooney - average

Carneiro - I'm not a fan, I'm prepared to give him a couple of months to see if he can adapt to the english game but first impressions suggest he's not good enough.

SUBS: Nicholls - showed some promise again, prepared to have a go at the full back which I like. Still learning

Overall a pretty rubbish performance, a pretty rubbish game. Swansea were crap, so were we. We deserved to lose. I reckon a change in formation, as a few have pointed out on this thread, would be worth a go definitely.

Special mention goes to some of our thick scum fans who continue to amaze me (although maybe I shouldn't be amazed) with what they do and with comments they come out with. An example from last night "Butla! Howld the ball! Yam sh*t!"... The bloke wasn't even playing!!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:48 am

Ah someone who actually saw the game :D

Like Sonner's match review :D

fez_the_saddler

Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:49 am

who were on coach 1 yesterday then ?

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:06 pm

It was a cack performance the best bit of the day was me. percie, billingham, matty and joe saw chris akkabussi in the service station buying a burger and billingham shouted something and akkabussi said you got the wrong guy mate. :D :D :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season