Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Birmingham City (H) 28/07/07

Reports and reaction from the 2007-08 season as Walsall finished 12th in League 1
cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:27 pm

Fred Mumford wrote:We were $h1te again today.
Buttler = toss
Hall = toss x 2
Gypo Sonner = looks a disgrace
Fox = Why is he taking corners & free kicks

New left back looks decent
And they now sell guiness in the ground.

The club for some reason decided to paint tha back walls of the stand white.
Looks very much non-league standard which I fear we could be very soon on todays performance.

You must have been watching a different match mate!!!
They were far from cack!!
Fox is probably taking corners and free kicks because we no longer have Keats to do it.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:36 pm

Nearly forgot the message at half time was soooooooo funny. Fancy someone having a fag and nearly getting the match abandoned!! :lol: :lol:

At first I thought someone had taken a bomb into the ground

Pride of Bescot

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:57 pm

Very happy with todays performance. Now seeing us play i'm more than confident we will have no problems staying up next season. Mooney and Sonner have put to bed any doubts i had about them, but i'm not sure on Hall judging on todays performance.

Ince - Carried on were he left off. Made one superb stop from Jerome in the first half. Kicking is still wayward though.

Wrack - Solid performance, did better than i expected though. Let's see what Weston has too offer.

Boertien - Immense. Solid in the tackle, good use of the ball, brings it forward, switches to his weaker foot.

Roper - Nothing spectacular. Did what he were there too do.

Gerrard - Solid in the air and tackle but got caught out on too many occasions. Once Dann is fit he won't start.

Dobson - Usual performance breaking up attacks. Slightly lethargic i thought though and doesn't get the ball out of his feet quick enough. Still doesn't like to pass forward :roll:

Sonner - Thought he did well. Kept it simple, and sprayed the ball about well, with accurate passing. Good deal ball delivery aswell.

Hall - Did nothing for me. His final ball was poor all game. Prefer too see Nicholls given a chance.

Fox - There is now no place in the team for Fox too what i can see. Still a decent enough performance.

Mooney - Worked his ass off. Got in too good positions, hurried and hussled the defenders.Very pleased with his performance.

Butler - Usual Butler-esque performance. But is it enough?

I'd still like us to get another Striker in though :D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:19 pm

First half, just looked completely out of our depth, against a much better side than us obviously. Second half much better, especially when Demon came on.

Ince - No problems

Wrack - Played well,looks fit, wasted at right back, sure he will be moved when Weston is fit

Boertien - Looked composed, and quality on the ball

Roper - P1ss poor game, looked way off the pace, will be fine when he gets match fitness hopefully

Gerrard - Not sure what to make of him to be honest, better than Roper on the day, but that wasn't hard

Dobson - If he plays like that all season i will be happy, had a good game, needs to let the ball go quicker, and forwrads sometimes.

Sonner - Neat and tidy, finds room to play, just doesn't get involved enough for me

Hall - Did alright i thought, nothing special, he will be a good signing

Fox_ The bigggest worry of all, offers so little going forward, we looked so much more dangerous when he went off.

Mooney - Motm for Walsall. Did everything Butler doesn't do

Butler - Finished where he left off, totally anonymous, annoying describes him well

Ishmel, keeps going at the full back, sometimes he makes a mess of things, but just goes back for more, will be a waste if we don't see more of him this season, and another promising player will be lost.

Nicholls, breif appearance, but looked mighty sharp, looks like he is well over his injury now, i like the look of this lad a lot

Portugese bloke wearing Jorge's shirt. Looked scared to death, no the sort of player DD said walsall could sign :roll: However, looked like he is comfortable on the ball, and didn't have to do much to be better than the ever disappointing Butler

All in all a good run out,

wfc_frano

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:43 pm

hahahah the fag thing at half time no-one moved lol

jack-the-lad

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:52 pm

Good performance today, really enjoyed the game. Blues showed their class with the first goal, a bit of ball watching on our part but quality from Cameron Jerome to hold off a couple of challenges then slide it through for Forsell - good finish. Second goal I thought was a bit turdish of us, we had a couple of chances to clear and didn't and eventually a quality finish from Jerome.

I think we played well. Particularly impressed by Boertien - what an addition he is. I echo everyone on here who has said that if we do keep him fit he is class. Also thought Sonner and Dobson were good together, compliment each other, some neat little one twos and some impressive passing long range.

Ince - Same as usual.

Wrack - not good, but not bad so his usual self. Can fill in at full back but no more than that please!

Gerrard - played well, still as slow as ever :)

Roper - A little dodgy, but a better hair cut!

Boertien - class above, fingers crossed about his injuries

Hall - Looked a tad unfit, but I still think he'll be very handy this season

Dobson - very good

Sonner - good

Fox - Not good, don't think he'd offered much

Mooney - I'm a big fan, will be a fans favourite for sure

Butler - still looks out of touch

Of the subs: Ishmel showed glimpses of his ability. Carneiro, dunno about this bloke, a busy bee but didn't really see much to be happy about, time will tell. The rest, I didn't get much of a chance to see them.

All in all very promising. Really wetted my appetite for the season, excited is not the word :D

Ben_Hartshorne

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:58 pm

Ince- usual, but worst keeper kit i think iv seen

Wrack- Not a right back and it showed, made some nice touches, didnt really struggle for fitness which is positive

Roper- all over the place today im afraid, made some good last ditch tackles, but seems that jerome got the better of him

Gerrard- Better than Ropes, but had less involvement

Boertien- It is now obvious why such a player gets injured so often. He flies into tackles. Too good for this division in my opinion

Hall- Showed alot of experience, but right wing is not a place where it is needed. not very quick, but sharp

Sonner- Made on or too silly mistakes, but his majority of possession calmed the team down. He made some great cross field balls that made me think we might not need to look for a creative midfielder.

Dobson- Playing as he started and ended last season. Strong and under control

Fox- not a particularly special game but not a bad game. nothing to convince me hes worth a place

Butler- Not great, showed some good strength when on the ball, but didnt get it that much.

Mooney- Gave me the same impression butler gave me last pre-season, works very hard and has the experience to get the upper hand on players that might be quicker or stronger than him.

i dont think this team will struggle next season

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:59 pm

Money out!!!

larryhaggler

Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Agree with all that Ben. Went today with some Blue's and Villa mates and they were very impressed by our 2nd half performance. My only worry is that we lack pace up front, this does not help when closing down and pressing teams. Also the Fox thing, I do hope DD does not use him as left wing / midfield, he has no creativity at all. Boertein for me looked a class apart today, I would look at extending that 1 year contract very soon if he continues to perform like that. Dissapointed Sonko was out today too was looking forward to seeing this guy. All in all our squad looks ok with just the need for another striking option. I also hope DD does not play young Nicholls wide right, he is most definatley more dangerous up the middle.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:08 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Fox_ The bigggest worry of all, offers so little going forward, we looked so much more dangerous when he went off.,

Er, when Ishmel came on Fox moved into central midfield in place of Danny Sonner.

I can understand how you thought that he had gone off. He might as well have been substituted because he was invisible in the middle, strolling around without getting very near the ball, but he was actually still on the pitch.

Ben_Hartshorne

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:21 pm

i would like to add that this is the first time i've seen Nicholls play since his injury. That lad is quick, he shows no signs of having had a broken leg, he could be very useful this season.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:37 pm

Although I had hoped to get there today, unfortunately in the end I couldn't go due to work, got stuck at the office from 9.15 until nearly 6pm.

So I listened in to radio commentary on WM, and from that I gathered we were second best most of the first half, but had a good share of the second half and could have got a goal or two.

It's really interesting tonight reading the wide range of comments. It's coming across very consistently that Mooney impressed everyone, that Sonner and Boertien both had good games and that Fox was very poor, but nearly everyone else ranges anywhere from poor to excellent - what different outlooks and dare I say prejudices people have.

Whatever the performance, I think it's only right to acknowledge that we were playing a side that's just gone up to the Prem and spent a fair bit, and we lost 2-0, could have scored a few ourselves, and generally weren't disgraced, especially second half.

So some of the negative comments seem to be rather misplaced. This was the first serious friendly we've had so far, it was against decent opponents, and I'm not at all unhappy with a 2-0 defeat, given the good comments on the radio.

I feel happy already that we look strong enough to be able to hold our own in League One - that's the first vital sign. But I'll be happier (I hope) when I've seen it for myself.

Oh, and Fred's post was just to incite arguments, it's what he does and he does it - regrettably - only too well ! :?

liamrowc52
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:55 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Portugese bloke wearing Jorge's shirt. Looked scared to death,
can you blame him, hes been rated as the new Jorge, how could anyone live up to that? I'm thinking he will have to do alot to earn respect with the fans, but people have got to realise hes more or less a squad player *depending on form* so we shouldnt expect too much of him.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:25 am

Decent game, decent performance. Impressed with Boertien and Mooney, especially the former. However, we do not have enough quality to challenge at the right end of the table.
Last edited by WSOne on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:25 am

liamrowc52 wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Portugese bloke wearing Jorge's shirt. Looked scared to death,
can you blame him, hes been rated as the new Jorge, how could anyone live up to that? I'm thinking he will have to do alot to earn respect with the fans, but people have got to realise hes more or less a squad player *depending on form* so we shouldnt expect too much of him.

He actually said that himself... " I want to Emulate Jorge"

liamrowc52
UTS Regular

Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:27 am

latviancheese wrote:
liamrowc52 wrote:

He actually said that himself... " I want to Emulate Jorge"
Well he will have to try even harder then!, at least HE is confident in his ablilty

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:33 am

WSOne wrote:Decent game, decent performance. Impressed with Boertien and Mooney, especially the former. However, we do not have enough quality to challenge at the right end of the table.

This is EXACTLY the sort of comment that makes me hate pre-season friendlies like these. People jump to too many knee-jerk conclusions too quickly.

Same goes for those who have decided we're going to have a good season based on that showing yesterday.
Last edited by booster cogburn on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:46 am

YGA Saddler wrote:I thought Mooney played well, he chased lost causes, made the Birmingham defence look stationery at times and played a few good passes wide.

:lol: :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:55 am

Love to read match threads , more so on games i don't attend.
Really amazes me the different views on players , take Roper this was a pre-season friendly and well all know he's slow starter to a new season
here are some comments on his performance ,
P1ss poor.
had a poor game
solid when needed
impressive.
To balance things out nearly all were impressed with Mooney and disappionted with Butler. but thats what this board is all about , if we all agreed on everything it would be very boring.

On the game it self obviously i can't comment on the performance , but it appears Blues fielded a stong side and gave us a good work out , just what was required.
We'll get far more from a 2-0 defeat by a top flight club than a 3-1 win at Stafford .

Anyone know what the attendance was yesterday ?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:16 am

Bernie wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Fox_ The bigggest worry of all, offers so little going forward, we looked so much more dangerous when he went off.,

Er, when Ishmel came on Fox moved into central midfield in place of Danny Sonner.

I can understand how you thought that he had gone off. He might as well have been substituted because he was invisible in the middle, strolling around without getting very near the ball, but he was actually still on the pitch.

Yep my mistake, sorry, but the point was, once Ishy was on, our attack looked potent, his first two attempts to take the full back on were awful, but he just kept going back for more, and causing problems. Fox offers nothing at all in my opinion down the left side, seems you agree :D

If my post seemed negative, it wasn't , i was quite pleased with what i saw, and i think it could be a good season if Richard Money uses the younger players amongst the older ones. Ishy and Nicholls are ready to go , and possibly Deeney, not saying play them every game, although there is a case for Ishy to start every week if not suspended.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:03 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Anyone know what the attendance was yesterday ?

Quiet - you know what we're like without having been there :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:37 am

booster cogburn wrote:
WSOne wrote:Decent game, decent performance. Impressed with Boertien and Mooney, especially the former. However, we do not have enough quality to challenge at the right end of the table.

This is EXACTLY the sort of comment that makes me hate pre-season friendlies like these. People jump to too many knee-jerk conclusions too quickly.

Same goes for those who have decided we're going to have a good season based on that showing yesterday.

Hear, hear. What we got was a good workout against a Premiership side (who look as if they'll struggle a bit, to say the least), out of which you should (and Money will be looking) for lessons. They're easy - Wrack is good cover for Weston, Boertien is a class above, Sonner and Dobson have a good understanding already (and look capable of bossing midfield) and I'm not sure about Butler/Mooney - especially as we livened up not when Ishy came on, but before that when Carneiro came on and we stopped wasting possession up front.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:41 am

Well i was playing cricket (we won too against North warwickshire... :D ) so i didn't see the game...but surely there can be no shame in losing to a premier league side....wait until we play a competative game aginst a team of our own standard.

Stephen

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:05 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Anyone know what the attendance was yesterday ?

Around 7,000 I think.

Seemed to have loads of Blues fans - many in the Walsall end as well :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:18 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:Love to read match threads , more so on games i don't attend.
Really amazes me the different views on players , take Roper this was a pre-season friendly and well all know he's slow starter to a new season
P1ss poor.
had a poor game
solid when needed
impressive.
To balance things out nearly all were impressed with Mooney and disappionted with Butler. but thats what this board is all about , if we all agreed on everything it would be very boring.On the game it self obviously i can't comment on the performance , but it appears Blues fielded a stong side and gave us a good work out , just what was required.
We'll get far more from a 2-0 defeat by a top flight club than a 3-1 win at Stafford .

Oh no it wouldn't ! :lol:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:25 am

geoffwhiting wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:Love to read match threads , more so on games i don't attend.
P1ss poor.
had a poor game
solid when needed
impressive.
To balance things out nearly all were impressed with Mooney and disappionted with Butler. but thats what this board is all about , if we all agreed on everything it would be very boring.On the game it self obviously i can't comment on the performance , but it appears Blues fielded a stong side and gave us a good work out , just what was required.

Oh no it wouldn't ! :lol:

I don't agree :D

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:27 am

Over all, I think we did quite well.

Our passing and general use of the football has certainly seen an improvement on last season already.

I was just a bit frustrated with the lack of pace in the starting line up, this would be my over-riding concern going into the new season. - I do hope that Ishy and Nicholls are given a fair crack of the whip.

I do not see what qualities Fox has to offer in advanced positions. His distribution was poor generally and was caught in possession quite a few times.

I was impressed with Mooney in particular, he caused their back-line quite a few problems.

I don't think that Butler had a bad game either, and I think that their were a few glimpses that TM and MB could form a pretty decent partnership at our level.

Boertien looks a very good signing, he likes a crunching tackle doesn't he?! ... He used the ball well too, didn't waste too many passes and got forward as often as possible too.... I was quite impressed with him.

Sonner showed glimpses of his quality, he spread the ball about quite well.

asimpson
UTS Regular

Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:53 am

Just to add my thoughts for what its worth

Ince- Solid enough but i am a little concerned about his kicking, especially from his hands
Boertein- Our joint best player. Bit nervous in the first few minutes but when he settled down he showed how good a player he is.
Wrack- Solid considering eh was playing in a defensive role
Roper- I thought he played ok, he has certainly lost some weight since i last saw him play
Gerrard- Not overly impressed with his perfomance to be honest, struggled to keep up with forsell and jerome
Fox- I really dont rate him in an advanced position. I cant remember many times him whipping theball in
Sonner- Very Solid indeed. Pick of the midleild 4. Sprayed the ball about very well
Dobson- Improved from last season. As others have said worked well with sonner
Hall- Poor game in my opinion. Hardly ever ran at the defenders, and when he did the delievery wasnt great.

Mooney - Great work rate and used his strengh to win us lots of free kicks in dangerous areas.
Butler- Worked hard but had no end product. He will have to up his game if DD is going to choose one of either him or mooney

Ishy- Now i am not ishys biggest fan but he did casue the blues defence alot of problems simply by running at them. Great to bring on as a sub but i would have question marks over him starting. Needs to improve his first touch.
Caniero- Looked good to me. Nice control and good work rate. Id start him with mooney i think.

Wont comment on others as they didht have much time to do anything.

Overall ncie performance but we lacked the utting edge upfront. To me Mooney and Butler upfront dosent work. It has to be one or the other.

Oh yes and we need to practice free kicks. With mooney we are going to win lots this season but after yesterdays showing we are not going to take advantage!

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:24 am

Can any member of the Martin Butler fan club who said the reason that he was disappointing during the second half of last season was that he was tired after taking the burden on his own for so many matches please come up with another excuse pretty fast?

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:33 am

Bernie wrote:Can any member of the Martin Butler fan club who said the reason that he was disappointing during the second half of last season was that he was tired after taking the burden on his own for so many matches please come up with another excuse pretty fast?

I'm an active member of MWAS, not MBAS, whilst his performances at the end of last season were lacking, I think we are jumping the gun a bit to start sledging him based on his performance in nothing friendlies. I'm sure he will come good come the 11th of August.

Roll on Carlisle and Butler and Mooney goals, and the Jackal can add a couple to.
Last edited by Barren Flak on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Return to 2007-08 Season