Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Halesowen (a) 12th July 2006

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Halesowen (a) 12th July 2006

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:12 am

I am going tonight. Who else will be there?

No idea who will be playing for us or them, so my prediction of score is plucked from thin air (what's new?).

1-3 Super Saddlers. :D

And a wonderful, sunny evening with a good performance to fill me with false expectations for the season to come. :(

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:18 am

Can't make it tonight KC , no idea either of what sort of side RM will put out . Look forward to the match reviews.

UP THE SUPER SADDLERS

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:38 am

We're taking the full first team squad....

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 69,00.html

Not sure if I can make it yet. :x

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:40 am

I'll be there with 2 mini cheddars

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:52 am

Possibly...if Pedro is going and can give me a lift!

WFC4Eva

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:39 am

Can't make tonight, other plans but will be at Bescot Saturday for Ropers match.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:42 am

Halesowen squad...

Dean Coleman, Ian Cooper, Dave Haywood, Niki Preston, Gary Knight, Lee Williams, Nick Smith, Alex Cowley, Simon Forsdick, Nick Amos, Dan Thompson, Chris Brindley, Sean Dowdall, Matt Lewis, Grant Beckett, Lee Ayres, Aaron Drakeley, Paul Szewczyk.
Stuart Pierpoint and Mark Gayle are on holiday

Who's this Coleman chap in goal?

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:45 am

Nick Smith is one of our cast-offs too, isn't he?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:07 pm

Coleman out!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:09 pm

KJC wrote:Nick Smith is one of our cast-offs too, isn't he?

He is indeed. In addition, Ian Cooper and Grant Beckett are both ex-Walsall Schoolboys representative players, so there is plenty of local interest.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:40 pm

Lee Ayres went to my old school... 8)

Who moved the goalposts?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

Is that Chris Brindley ex-local lad and ex-Hednesford manager?

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:57 pm

I predict 4-0 to saddlers - Butler (2), Constable and Bedeau

UP THE SADDLERS

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:14 pm

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:Is that Chris Brindley ex-local lad and ex-Hednesford manager?

Yep.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:22 pm

Will be there as the Grove is only 5 mins away. Will post report as soon as I can upon return. Pitch at the Grove is generally not one of the best - even for pre season friendly !!

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:28 pm

I expect a very detailed matchreport after the game :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Just got back, 4 - 0 victory.

Mark Wright goal in first half, Constable hat trick in second.

Very good performances from Dobson and Bedeau imho.

three trialists; Nathan Stanton, Hector Sam, Adam Proudlock. all played very well.

Oh and Pead played in midfield second 45, and danny fox looks like he has lost 3 stone!

UTS

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:51 pm

Constables first goal was christened by me - 'The Hand of Plod' :D Clear Maradonna style goal.

Sang 'Diego ohhhhhhhh' at him all game after that! :D

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:57 pm

I know Nick Smith! :D

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:59 pm

Sam and Prodlock! :shock:

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:04 pm

Well Wyrley Saddler was spot on - 4 - 0 - with a Constable hat trick and a Mark Wright header. Opposition limited, pitch suspect and chips sold out after half time.

Most interest centered around Hector Sam for the first hour or so and Adam Proudlock who replaced him for the last 30 odd mins. Sam linked up quite well with Martin Butler who perhaps should have got a couple in the first half. Sam seemed to tire early in the second half, not much pace and needed the ball played to his feet to hold up and link with Martin.

Proudlock didn't have much chance to show or impress cos each time Constable got the ball he just lashed it into the net, his third goal set up by Tony Bedeau who looked fast and useful.

Natan Sansara (I think) playeed right back and somebody called Tony Taylor (again I think) played centre back in the first half. Goalie from Burton played, made one early save but was hardly tested thereafter. Didn't look very tall or commanding but as I say hardly tested.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:10 pm

I see I have got Natan Sansara mixed up with Nathan Santon. I thought Natan had put a bit of weight on !!! Where is Nathan from?

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:16 pm

Mike T. wrote:I see I have got Natan Sansara mixed up with Nathan Santon. I thought Natan had put a bit of weight on !!! Where is Nathan from?

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_detai ... erid=13789

McNugget

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:27 pm

it was tommy taylor in defense.

Bedeau played well in parts, but it worried me the fact that he kept losing his position and running towards the left after he had released the ball.

Dobson looked class after a shakey first 5 minutes.

Butler and Sam showed good understanding of the game and eachother. Butlers runs for instance looked superb.
one worrying point is that i cant see any of the central midfielders today barr dobson, being good enough for first team. leaving keates upon return and poor back-up.

Overall, enjoyable game, played very well. bring on the tougher opposition.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:42 pm

After watching tonight, I have come to the following conlusions at this early stage.
1. Money clearly focuses on organisation and structure, particularly when we haven't got the ball. The number of times he was shouting 'get your shape' to individual players from the dugout was very encouraging.
2. Dobson should have the ability to boss the midfield - He shows good leadership qualities and would be my captain if I were manager.
3. Bedeau should start on the right side of midfield - looks very quick and has a good head on him - knows when to beat his man, when to hold the ball and when to play the ball. This is a total contrast to our other right winger who in my opinion, didn't offer us an awful lot against a poor side.
4. Bradley could have a part to play this season - plays like Michael Carrick in the sense that he's not particularly defensive, but he holds that deep position where he has the opportunity to use the ball well.
5. Roper looks past his best to me - this could well be due to his usual slow start to the season, but there were a couple of times where he was robbed by an opposition striker and didn't look like catching them.
6. Constable, if we didn't know already, has a real eye for goal and always looked a threat.

I realise we played against a poor side and we are a way from being the finished article, but there is a clear, solid base to work from. We played at a high tempo from start to finish, which was very impressive and Money has incorporated a hard work ethic and team spirit into the side, which is pleasing to see.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:45 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:After watching tonight, I have come to the following conlusions at this early stage.
1. Money clearly focuses on organisation and structure, particularly when we haven't got the ball. The number of times he was shouting 'get your shape' to individual players from the dugout was very encouraging.
2. Dobson should have the ability to boss the midfield - He shows good leadership qualities and would be my captain if I were manager.
3. Bedeau should start on the right side of midfield - looks very quick and has a good head on him - knows when to beat his man, when to hold the ball and when to play the ball. This is a total contrast to our other right winger who in my opinion, didn't offer us an awful lot against a poor side.
4. Bradley could have a part to play this season - plays like Michael Carrick in the sense that he's not particularly defensive, but he holds that deep position where he has the opportunity to use the ball well.
5. Roper looks past his best to me - this could well be due to his usual slow start to the season, but there were a couple of times where he was robbed by an opposition striker and didn't look like catching them.
6. Constable, if we didn't know already, has a real eye for goal and always looked a threat.

I realise we played against a poor side and we are a way from being the finished article, but there is a clear, solid base to work from. We played at a high tempo from start to finish, which was very impressive and Money has incorporated a hard work ethic and team spirit into the side, which is pleasing to see.

Roper is the same every year. Don't judge him. Even if he has worked hard in training he always needs a few matches to get to speed. He'll be fine.

Everything else sounds promising.

I thought Money had signed Bedeau as a winger and it sounds like you've confirmed that as has the interest in Proudlock and Sam. I did say Constable will do well this season and I've no reason to change my mind.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:53 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Roper is the same every year. Don't judge him. Even if he has worked hard in training he always needs a few matches to get to speed. He'll be fine.

Everything else sounds promising.

I thought Money had signed Bedeau as a winger and it sounds like you've confirmed that as has the interest in Proudlock and Sam. I did say Constable will do well this season and I've no reason to change my mind.

I take your point about Roper. An encouraging sign was that Money seemed to be having him doing a lot of the talking at the back to help organise when we were defending.

With regard to Sam and Proudlock based on this game, Sam looked the better of the two. Proudlock was understandably way off the pace whereas Sam held the ball up quite well and looked like he could link up successfully with Butler. I'd like to see us give Proudlock another couple of games though to see what he's like when he's got some kind of basic fitness to work with.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:57 pm

Team (subs): Deeney; Stanton (Dann?), Gerrard (Roper), T Taylor (Westwood), K Taylor (Demontagnac); Wright (Bedeau), Dobson (Bradley), Kinsella (Pead), Fox (K Taylor); Butler (Constable), Sam (Proudlock).

Wright scored inside 10 mins with a downward header after a neat Fox cross. Constable got a hat-trick in the second half - two of them handed to him on a plate, the other an excellent first time volley from an angle that seemed to take Dean Coleman (who to be fair was injured by that stage) by surprise.

Plenty to be optimistic about - a neat 4-4-2 formation, lots of pace and tempo about the performance, kept the ball well. Some good individual showings from Dobson, Bedeau and Fox among others. No-one really looked out of place although Stanton and Proudlock were overweight. I notice Stanton has already played 250 games for Scunthorpe and is only just 25, not sure why he has been released. I wouldn't go near Proudlock, too much baggage with him, no matter how good a player he is. Sam looked the better bet and smacked the crossbar with a good turn and shot in the second half. Looking on Soccerbase, Hector Sam scored 12 goals in Wrexham's relegation season in 04/05, then hardly played for Vale last season. Odd.

All in all it was an encouraging showing against very limited opposition. We dominated throughout and were probably only playing at 70 per cent. Will be interesting to see how we do against Albion on Saturday.

Stourport Saddler

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:00 pm

Went tonight as it was down the road for once!!

I though Stanton was okay if slightly overweight and Chris Taylor was 10 times better than Fox at left back.

Dobson looks very good and also Kinsella looked fit for a change!!

Butler didn't seem that interested and Sam didn't seem fit.

Constable was by far the best centre forward on the pitch and took his goals well

Overall a good warm up :)

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:17 pm

Tommy Taylor???!!!!

Now THAT's a real footballers name Tone!

Next
Return to 2006-07 Season