Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wrexham (h) League- Saturday 28/04/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:10 pm

Fox and pass its a bit like Soup and chip it does not go together :D :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:17 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Stu wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:Good three points, combined with the monkey hangers' mess-up (shame about that ref, eh?). One thing amused me - TWO onto Ishy every time he was near the ball, yet this is only his second start of the year? Sounds like we've got a great little winger on our hands. Hopefully he'll have a bit more space and respect in League One, rather than get tonked by the cloggers and carthorses down here.

Yeh it's funny aint it... two games in a row he's been the best performer, but he's only played around 100 minutes in 2007. What a waste

Aye, his lack of playing time is nearly as disappointing as the decision to take him off today. For a team, who at that time were top of the league, to make such a defensive substitution against a team so poor really was quite disappointing. I bet the Wrexham fans and management were thanking their lucky stars when they saw Ishmel coming off.

And before anyone rambles on about discipline, he held his discipline superbly. He may have reacted to the Ref after that disgraceful late boot, but he did what any player would have done in that position.

I know we won, I know we're top, but that decision summed up exactly why I hate the tactics we've used this season, far too defensive.

Spot on.

Don't agree at all. It was disappointing to see Ishy go off, but it was exactly the right decision. He already had a yellow card in the game, and the last thing we needed was to lose him for next week's crucial title decider. Ishy COULD make the difference between some points or none at Swindon, so DD got it spot-on for me.

Just imagine what might have happened. The Wrexham player wasn't booked - ridiculous refereeing in the circumstances but that's how it was - and Ishy had already kicked-off, thankfully not too much before Keatesy got to him and calmed him down. The same Wrexham player would have seen Ishy's reaction and known he had another opportunity to risk a yellow and get us down to 10 men.

I think, if DD had allowed that risk to be taken, and if as a result Ishy had got himself sent off, we'd all be on here today questioning why DD didn't foresee that situation and withdraw him from the game.

DD just can't win with some people can he ?

Exactly geoff , very well said, here we are on the brink of only our second ever title , and fans still question his management .

The manager, the players - not good enough apparently, just don't tell the other teams that......the other teams that are all below us. :D

yep SS , not good enough

played 45-won 25 -drew 13 - lost 7 -goals for 65 -against 33- goal dif 32+
points 88 disgraceful :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:25 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Stu wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:Good three points, combined with the monkey hangers' mess-up (shame about that ref, eh?). One thing amused me - TWO onto Ishy every time he was near the ball, yet this is only his second start of the year? Sounds like we've got a great little winger on our hands. Hopefully he'll have a bit more space and respect in League One, rather than get tonked by the cloggers and carthorses down here.

Yeh it's funny aint it... two games in a row he's been the best performer, but he's only played around 100 minutes in 2007. What a waste

Aye, his lack of playing time is nearly as disappointing as the decision to take him off today. For a team, who at that time were top of the league, to make such a defensive substitution against a team so poor really was quite disappointing. I bet the Wrexham fans and management were thanking their lucky stars when they saw Ishmel coming off.

And before anyone rambles on about discipline, he held his discipline superbly. He may have reacted to the Ref after that disgraceful late boot, but he did what any player would have done in that position.

I know we won, I know we're top, but that decision summed up exactly why I hate the tactics we've used this season, far too defensive.

Spot on.

Don't agree at all. It was disappointing to see Ishy go off, but it was exactly the right decision. He already had a yellow card in the game, and the last thing we needed was to lose him for next week's crucial title decider. Ishy COULD make the difference between some points or none at Swindon, so DD got it spot-on for me.

Just imagine what might have happened. The Wrexham player wasn't booked - ridiculous refereeing in the circumstances but that's how it was - and Ishy had already kicked-off, thankfully not too much before Keatesy got to him and calmed him down. The same Wrexham player would have seen Ishy's reaction and known he had another opportunity to risk a yellow and get us down to 10 men.

I think, if DD had allowed that risk to be taken, and if as a result Ishy had got himself sent off, we'd all be on here today questioning why DD didn't foresee that situation and withdraw him from the game.

Totally agree mate!

Ditto!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Stu wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Spot on.

Totally agree mate!

Ditto!

Double ditto!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:44 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:He wore off in second half and as Butlers contract says he has to play every minute of every game I wasn't surprised to see him go off.

Tongue-in-cheek or true? In all honesty, its what I suspect, but I don't know that to be the case. I'd be very disappointing if that is part of his contract because its done no favours to either ourselves or Butler.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:45 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:He wore off in second half and as Butlers contract says he has to play every minute of every game I wasn't surprised to see him go off.

Tongue-in-cheek or true? In all honesty, its what I suspect, but I don't know that to be the case. I'd be very disappointing if that is part of his contract because its done no favours to either ourselves or Butler.

Completely tongue in cheek but it could easily be true the amount of times he's been left on when not as good as his strike partner who has been taken off. DD to blame for his recent form and my criticism as he should have been dropped a while ago.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:15 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Ishmel doesn't have to be showing for him, by playing the pass down the line has two benefits, it goes into the corner which is often unoccupied and means we can have Ishmel to run onto it and we can get players forward to sustain an attack and also it means it's not Fox's favourite floated pass to a centre half which is easy for them to deal and puts us on the back foot as we have to sit back and defend.

He can't win though can he? It was only a matter of weeks ago when he was playing balls down the line, but with no out and out wide man playing in front of him, Butler was forced to do his obligatory running into the corner, often coming away with nothing.
By showing for the ball, I'm not suggesting he hogs the thouchline and gets the ball to his feet. A ball into space is as you say, more effective. To do that though, you still need the midfielder to be in a position where he can run onto the ball, which I don't think he was in the first half yesterday.

Another thing I think is worth adding is that Fox plays like a centre half because that's how he's told to play. I have little doubt about that. I thought Taylor was very similar in his play in the first half of the season, when he'd constantly look for the long ball. Money's philosophy is to keep the ball as far away from your own goal as possible, and try to play the ball in the oppositions half. If that means booting the ball long to Benjamin or Butler, so be it. We get away with that tactic through sheer persistence. The opposition might head it striaght back as you say, but our defending is better than an other side in this leagues', which is why we can keep hacking away until we get a breakthrough.

Next year will need a change though, I feel.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:19 pm

I honestly have seen Fox play balls down the line all season.

Keates is nearly always available for a pass into midfield but Fox just wants to HOOOOOFFFF.

Just an opinion but I don't want to see Walsall players doing that. If he had anything else about him we would have seen more of it.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:56 pm

Jesus wept, I'm not questioning his management. I questioned one bleedin decision yesterday, thats not his mangagement for crying out loud. I'm over the moon to have won promotion, I'm over the moon to be on the verge of a title, great stuff Dickie, well done, congratulations and let me shove my tongue up your backside please.

But it still doesn't take away from the fact that on the whole I haven't enjoyed watching us this season, we've been one paced, one dimensional and rather long ball.

As I've said many a time, if this is what we've had to do to get out of this division, then so be it. Its worked.

If this is what I have to watch next season whilst languishing in the bottom half, then thanks, but no thanks.

It seems you say one negative thing these days and you want the manager sacked, the players hung, drawn and quartered and the ground blown up into frickin oblivion.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Stu wrote:Jesus wept, I'm not questioning his management. I questioned one bleedin decision yesterday, thats not his mangagement for crying out loud. I'm over the moon to have won promotion, I'm over the moon to be on the verge of a title, great stuff Dickie, well done, congratulations and let me shove my tongue up your backside please.

But it still doesn't take away from the fact that on the whole I haven't enjoyed watching us this season, we've been one paced, one dimensional and rather long ball.

As I've said many a time, if this is what we've had to do to get out of this division, then so be it. Its worked.

If this is what I have to watch next season whilst languishing in the bottom half, then thanks, but no thanks.

It seems you say one negative thing these days and you want the manager sacked, the players hung, drawn and quartered and the ground blown up into frickin oblivion.

I don't much like this tone of yours Stu, you're beginning to sound like a terrorist. :lol: :lol:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Sorry, I think I got out of bed on the missus' side, so I'm feeling grumpy and in a mood. ;-)

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:37 pm

We WONT be in the bottom half next season. Not with DD.

I fully expect a top 6 finish

It would be nice if the football was better, especially down the wings, which is what makes football so much more exciting

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:41 pm

saddlerken wrote:We WONT be in the bottom half next season. Not with DD.

It would be nice if the football was better, especially down the wings, which is what makes football so much more exciting

Expect top 6? Really? On what basis?

I tell you what, I'd put up with this season's 'style' of football if it meant Top 6 and a chance of promotion again next season, but seriously, I'll be amazed if we make Top 10, let alone top 6.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:53 pm

Stu wrote:

I tell you what, I'd put up with this season's 'style' of football if it meant Top 6 and a chance of promotion again next season, but seriously, I'll be amazed if we make Top 10, let alone top 6.

It's all very dependant on who stays and who comes in.

2/3 good signings in the right areas and I really don't think we're far off the top 10. If Merson can have us floating around mid table in that division for two seasons despite not having a much better team and players with no organisation, motivation or fitness and no goalkeeper, then I think we'll be ok.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:57 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Stu wrote:

It's all very dependant on who stays and who comes in.

2/3 good signings in the right areas and I really don't think we're far off the top 10. If Merson can have us floating around mid table in that division for two seasons despite not having a much better team and players with no organisation, motivation or fitness and no goalkeeper, then I think we'll be ok.

But he didn't did he, he had us in 14th place courtesy of an end of season run of 6 straight wins.

To be honest, if I was really harsh, I think we could do with;
- Right back
- Left back
- Right winger (Harper ideally)
- Left winger (competition for Ishmel)
- Central Midfielder (creative, driving, capable of getting beyond the strikers)
- Two strikers (one of who must have genuine pace)

That's 7 new players for me, all capable of being first team players.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:06 pm

I didn't mean final position, I mean hovering around during the season when we weren't far off play offs for a lot of the time and he was bloody clueless.

One thing you can guarantee next season is that we'll be organised and have a good defence which always gives you a chance of nicking a win, although I agree both full backs could be improved.

I also agree with all of those positions you need mention apart from the left winger. There'll be Wright and Wrack for competition for Harper (IF we can get him and Ishmel on the left).

Central midfielder, perhaps although I do think you underestimate Keates on that score and Wrack can also do that job but I would prefer someone younger with more energy and a bit more dynamic. Frecklington - but we aint gonna get him.

One striker definitely, not sure about two. Depends on Nicholls and Deeney and if DD will use them often enough.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:59 pm

Nicholls is a right winger isn't he ?

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Exactly Mark

Also, there have been many teams who in the past have come up from div 4 and gone straight up again, same players in some cases, if there is an effective way of winning football matches then I see no reason why we can't replicate this season (to a point) just as long as we get 4/5 decent players in the right positions

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:36 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Nicholls is a right winger isn't he ?

Nah mate, favoured position is striker.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:37 pm

saddlerken wrote:Exactly Mark

Also, there have been many teams who in the past have come up from div 4 and gone straight up again, same players in some cases, if there is an effective way of winning football matches then I see no reason why we can't replicate this season (to a point) just as long as we get 4/5 decent players in the right positions

Let's think positive and get a couple of goalscorers and do a Col U. :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Yeovil Town are a decent example of what we could do. Defensive-minded manager, but added a few quality players (without breaking the bank) at the start of the season and have secured a play-off place. Its not impossible.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Nicholls is a right winger isn't he ?

Nah mate, favoured position is striker.

Perhaps he does prefer to play as a striker, but at Burton he has been almost always on the right wing.

As is mentioned on the other thread he has been getting very good reviews in that position, but his credentials as a striker would not have been helped by the fact that he has failed to score in 14 starts for Burton (and only one goal in 13 appearances for us). There is not a lot of evidence to suggest that he would become a regular goalscorer.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:52 pm

Stu, never in all the years I have been reading your posts have I agreed so wholeheartedly with your opinions. Absolutely spot on, son.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Tue May 01, 2007 2:58 pm

Agree with Stu. It's not being negative, it's being realistic.

There's a good reason why the top 4 teams in this division are the ones who got relegated last year - this league is crap. We haven't even had to play well to win half the games we have - just one great save from Ince or a bit of magic from Butler is often all there is between the teams.

Let's be honest here, if Merson was still in charge this season and had these players at his disposal, you'd expect even him to have us in the Play-offs.

The real test will come next season. If DD gets us around mid-table I'll be pretty happy. If he gets us playing more attractive football, I'll be delighted.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue May 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Cueball wrote:Agree with Stu. It's not being negative, it's being realistic.

There's a good reason why the top 4 teams in this division are the ones who got relegated last year - this league is crap. We haven't even had to play well to win half the games we have - just one great save from Ince or a bit of magic from Butler is often all there is between the teams.

Let's be honest here, if Merson was still in charge this season and had these players at his disposal, you'd expect even him to have us in the Play-offs.
The real test will come next season. If DD gets us around mid-table I'll be pretty happy. If he gets us playing more attractive football, I'll be delighted.

Agree with most of your'e post, but not so sure about that , i am in no way DD's biggest fan, but don't under estimate what a great job he has done, Discipline was just what was needed after last year, we were heading for real problems if Merson remained any longer, possibly would be in the situation that Wrexham are, rather than going for the title saturday

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue May 01, 2007 5:17 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Cueball wrote:Agree with Stu. It's not being negative, it's being realistic.

Agree with most of your'e post, but not so sure about that , i am in no way DD's biggest fan, but don't under estimate what a great job he has done, Discipline was just what was needed after last year, we were heading for real problems if Merson remained any longer, possibly would be in the situation that Wrexham are, rather than going for the title saturday

Agree with that. We wouldn't have been promoted automatically with Merson in charge because we wouldn't have a solid enough defensive record. This season's success has been built on solid foundations at the back, if little more. You could perhaps argue that we may have scored more goals, but I don't think we'd have got anything better than a playoff place.

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season