Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (h) 21/04/07- Promotion Party Mark II

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:56 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I'm sorry, but Gerrard was useless yesterday, especially in the first half. he was beaten time and time again by perfectly straight balls in behind him, where he had lost his man. The only thing that stopped him being the worst player on the pitch was the fact Fox was.

And Taylor 'did OK'? No easy way to say this - you're wrong.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:59 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I'm sorry, but Gerrard was useless yesterday, especially in the first half. he was beaten time and time again by perfectly straight balls in behind him, where he had lost his man. The only thing that stopped him being the worst player on the pitch was the fact Fox was.

Don't worry he should be used to it by now

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:37 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Don't worry he should be used to it by now

Actually, I normally agree pretty much 100% with Neil's match reports, but for this one my thoughts are virtually the opposite of what he thought!

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:41 pm

latviancheese wrote:I would say thats a massive positive from todays game, the fact ishy came on and looked majorly too good. Matured greatly, their right back was scared shitless.

Thats probably some of the best football hes played for us, i just like the fact that when he comes on, he gives us somthing to shout about.
I agree i would start him next week see how he performs and pace himself over 90mins

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:17 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Mate if you knew my feelings about Fox you wouldnt have said that, and if you look I have said he was awful for months, so I agree!

He will be 4th choice atm and for the record I think Picken is in another class as well, but I cannot definitely say that til he plays more, so 4th choice atm.

I would cash in on his name in the summer and get rid.

Thank god we have someone in charge who knows what he is doing then and not someone who thinks he knows

Well justified, Linda! :?

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Mate if you knew my feelings about Fox you wouldnt have said that, and if you look I have said he was awful for months, so I agree!

He will be 4th choice atm and for the record I think Picken is in another class as well, but I cannot definitely say that til he plays more, so 4th choice atm.

Thank god we have someone in charge who knows what he is doing then and not someone who thinks he knows

you know it gets a bit boring after a while, we have bets now how long it will take. Fastest one so far well done :roll:

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:34 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

you know it gets a bit boring after a while, we have bets now how long it will take. Fastest one so far well done :roll:

Don't start biting at me! I was just wondering why you thought he didn't know what he was on about because I agreed with pretty much everythin he just said :?

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:44 pm

Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Don't start biting at me! I was just wondering why you thought he didn't know what he was on about because I agreed with pretty much everythin he just said :?

Oh well in that case lets get rid of DD met fan for manager!! :evil:

Percie
Glitterati

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:47 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Thats the sort of responce I've come to expect for you to be honest......

Gerrard for captain! :D

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:02 pm

Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Thats the sort of responce I've come to expect for you to be honest......

Gerrard for captain! :D

yay :lol:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:31 pm

And futuresobright for Chairman.....

Glitterati

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:47 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:And futuresobright for Chairman.....

The futures bright!

Cueball
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Well, had to leave my post until 9.45pm on Sunday evening because I'm only just starting to calm down. I am so angry, frustrated and disappointed. What an opportunity to go top, playing a crap team (and they were crap) at home. And we blow it, big time. Only Ishy can hold his head high, whilst some of them (Fox, Gerrard) should be heading out of the exits.

The thing I can't understand with Money is why we don't really attack teams at home from the 1st minute. We never do. Yesterday we should have been playing with no pressure. We're promoted so there's no reason for a cautious approach. I could have taken losing by that fluke goal if we'd have absolutely battered them. But of course we had 1 shot(!) on target 1st half.

Come the second half and I get to see their goalie up close. How old was he? Yet he's not the first visiting goalkeeper to have one of his easiest afternoons. We never looked like scoring, despite numerous excellent crosses being put into the box. Butler never looked interested, Benjamin missed a sitter and the referee missed a certain handball on the line.

And the atmosphere? Yes it was crap. But it needn't have been. Fans arrived with flags ready for a party. There was a good atmosphere for the first 10 minutes, yet rather than embrace that and attack, Walsall play their cautious, boring, slow game to basically kill the atmosphere. In fact the only thing to shout about was the referee!

Next week can only get better...

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Totally agree Cueball. Yesterday was a match where we had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

What I worry about is that we can't/won't take the game to teams we're obviously superior to (most in this division). What the hell is going to happen when we regulalry play teams that are better than us? I shudder to think.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:35 pm

tinned wrote:What the hell is going to happen when we regulalry play teams that are better than us? I shudder to think.

I've lost count of the number of times we've been outplayed and yet come away with a point or three. Money will always build from the back, regardless, and that is why I think we'll continue to pick up points against better sides next year.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:37 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
tinned wrote:What the hell is going to happen when we regulalry play teams that are better than us? I shudder to think.

I've lost count of the number of times we've been outplayed and yet come away with a point or three. Moeny will always build from the back, regardless, and that is why I think we'll continue to pick up points against better sides next year.

Well said, aslong as we have someone who will take the chances we might rarely get in those games.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:45 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

I've lost count of the number of times we've been outplayed and yet come away with a point or three. Money will always build from the back, regardless, and that is why I think we'll continue to pick up points against better sides next year.

Don't be so sure mate, i see were you are coming from, but i think a lot of eyes will be opened next season

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:50 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Don't be so sure mate, i see were you are coming from, but i think a lot of eyes will be opened next season

My eyes are wide open, BS. We have a number of players who are more than capable of holding their own in league one, and have proven so. With the right additions to the squad, I think we'll be OK. I'm not one of those who seems to think we'll be up there challenging for promotion next year, but I'd like to think that as long as there are no major changes at the football club, we'll be fine.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:54 pm

Expectations are high for next season already, not me, or you as it happens, but they are in general, i am sure you have picked up on that

The Walsall fans aren't the most forgiving, and Mr Money has already proved he is prone to a tantrum,

Not trying to be negative at all, but i see troubles ahead

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:00 pm

If you can't take the game to some of the crap teams we've seen at Bescot this season then I'm struggling to see how we are going to dominate games next season.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:51 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:Little triangles being played by Fox, Taylor and someone else (may have been keates, not sure) which meant we lost the ball when one of them had the chance to clear it up the pitch long before the goal happened.

You're right, it was indeed Dean 'the fans love me because I'm a local lad' Keates. :wink:

Personally I like Keates because he is our top scorer, has more assists for us than anyone else in the team, takes good corners and free kicks, has energy in midfield, has interest in playing for the shirt unlike some players, and because he has played a part in 3 of 6 of our promotions.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:54 pm

Why? It was a pleasure to see a full back comfortable with the ball in the first half. Someone who could actually pass it to a red shirt unlike Fox and often Westwood when at full back.

His defending was good in the first half and doesn't jump into rash tackles like Fox often does.

It was only when idiotically moved to centre half he looked suspect. Probably because he's too short for a centre half. He may have played there for Man Utd but at a time when he might have been tall for his age.

Taylor or Fox at full back for next season? Easy choice for me.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:12 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

Why? It was a pleasure to see a full back comfortable with the ball in the first half. Someone who could actually pass it to a red shirt unlike Fox and often Westwood when at full back.

His defending was good in the first half and doesn't jump into rash tackles like Fox often does.

It was only when idiotically moved to centre half he looked suspect. Probably because he's too short for a centre half. He may have played there for Man Utd but at a time when he might have been tall for his age.

Taylor or Fox at full back for next season? Easy choice for me.

Absolutely spot on, Mark. The only thing I'd disagree is that I thought it was worth moving him to centre back, on the basis Fox was so poor there and he'd cause less damage at full back.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:09 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:Little triangles being played by Fox, Taylor and someone else (may have been keates, not sure) which meant we lost the ball when one of them had the chance to clear it up the pitch long before the goal happened.

You're right, it was indeed Dean 'the fans love me because I'm a local lad' Keates. :wink:

Personally I like Keates because he is our top scorer, has more assists for us than anyone else in the team, takes good corners and free kicks, has energy in midfield, has interest in playing for the shirt unlike some players, and because he has played a part in 3 of 6 of our promotions.

Yeah, but apart from that, what has Dean Keates ever done for us?

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:19 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Expectations are high for next season already, not me, or you as it happens, but they are in general, i am sure you have picked up on that

The Walsall fans aren't the most forgiving, and Mr Money has already proved he is prone to a tantrum,

Not trying to be negative at all, but i see troubles ahead

Don't see how we can make any judgements on next season , wait and see the in and outs , but clearly changes have to be made.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:27 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:some stuff about taylor

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:ditto

Like, I respect your opinion and all, but I can't see where you're coming from. Taylor in midfield or on the left wing, yes I can agree that he is comfortable on the ball - although his crossing is often disappointing and from left-back yesterday he got forward less than Fox did.

But his defending is absolutely atrocious. He doesn't cover the centre-backs, he doesn't get close to the oppo winger, he's all over the place. I don't think it's his ability that I'd question, it's his application. Case in point - in the first half he stood and watched as a player ran straight past him, forcing Fox to sprint over and make a last-ditch challenge, which he mistimed and got booked. Second half (when Taylor had gone to centre-back) we were starting to pen them back late in the game and Bury got a clearance up towards half-way. The ball was coming straight to Taylor, who could have kept the pressure on, but he stood there watching while Bishop made up about 10 yards, nicked the ball away and Bury were able to kill the momentum. That is typical of what I see regularly from Taylor, he just seems to have such a laid-back attitude which gives off completely the wrong impression.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:59 pm

Not trying to be pessimistic, but why use the phrase ''After The Lord Mayor's Show''???

Yes, we may have got promoted, but our performance at Notts County was, according to DD, ''Our worst performance of the season''. Hardly the Lord Mayor's Show therefore?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Like, I respect your opinion and all, but I can't see where you're coming from. Taylor in midfield or on the left wing, yes I can agree that he is comfortable on the ball - although his crossing is often disappointing and from left-back yesterday he got forward less than Fox did.

But his defending is absolutely atrocious. He doesn't cover the centre-backs, he doesn't get close to the oppo winger, he's all over the place. I don't think it's his ability that I'd question, it's his application. Case in point - in the first half he stood and watched as a player ran straight past him, forcing Fox to sprint over and make a last-ditch challenge, which he mistimed and got booked. Second half (when Taylor had gone to centre-back) we were starting to pen them back late in the game and Bury got a clearance up towards half-way. The ball was coming straight to Taylor, who could have kept the pressure on, but he stood there watching while Bishop made up about 10 yards, nicked the ball away and Bury were able to kill the momentum. That is typical of what I see regularly from Taylor, he just seems to have such a laid-back attitude which gives off completely the wrong impression.

It's rare I disagree with you RS but to be honest I couldn't disagree more if I tried.

We were much better defensively in the first half of the season when Taylor was t full back, not Fox. We hardly conceded for months. Added to that he can actually pass and overlaps makes him the far better full back. He hardly ever gets beaten that I've seen.

That post above is almost like a typical anti Wright post, so extreme it's untrue and out of character for you.

PS - As for the mistimed tackle by Fox, that's exactly a reason why Taylor is better. Any decent defender would have stayed on their feet and jockeyed the player as he was going nowehre. Fox had already made up the ground so didn't need to jump in. Even when he did he deliberately went for the man instead of the ball. He could have been sent off.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:36 pm

I preferred it when Taylor was left back and Fox was left midfield. We didn't concede so many goals and they worked very well together when going forward.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:19 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

It's rare I disagree with you RS but to be honest I couldn't disagree more if I tried.

We were much better defensively in the first half of the season when Taylor was t full back, not Fox. We hardly conceded for months. Added to that he can actually pass and overlaps makes him the far better full back. He hardly ever gets beaten that I've seen.

That post above is almost like a typical anti Wright post, so extreme it's untrue and out of character for you.

PS - As for the mistimed tackle by Fox, that's exactly a reason why Taylor is better. Any decent defender would have stayed on their feet and jockeyed the player as he was going nowehre. Fox had already made up the ground so didn't need to jump in. Even when he did he deliberately went for the man instead of the ball. He could have been sent off.

Should have if you ask me, made no attempt to play the ball

I have Watched Fox very closely of late, and i can't recall once when he has stopped the winger getting his cross in.

Taylor is a better footballer, and is probably wasted at Left back, but he is still a better option that Fox

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season