Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bury (h) 21/04/07- Promotion Party Mark II

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:58 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:It's rare I disagree with you RS but to be honest I couldn't disagree more if I tried.

We were much better defensively in the first half of the season when Taylor was t full back, not Fox. We hardly conceded for months. Added to that he can actually pass and overlaps makes him the far better full back. He hardly ever gets beaten that I've seen.

That post above is almost like a typical anti Wright post, so extreme it's untrue and out of character for you.

PS - As for the mistimed tackle by Fox, that's exactly a reason why Taylor is better. Any decent defender would have stayed on their feet and jockeyed the player as he was going nowehre. Fox had already made up the ground so didn't need to jump in. Even when he did he deliberately went for the man instead of the ball. He could have been sent off.

I thought everyone was labelling the left side of the team the problem area earlier in the season (partly in reaction to the fun ongoing debate about Wrighty)? Taylor always gets a clean start from me every match but always ends up winding me up a treat because I think he is capable of better. And partly because I would much rather see him used in midfield (central midfield if possible), but that's a different argument...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, and I expect the argument will be redundant in a couple of weeks because I reckon Taylor won't be around into next season.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:05 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:It's rare I disagree with you RS but to be honest I couldn't disagree more if I tried.

We were much better defensively in the first half of the season when Taylor was t full back, not Fox. We hardly conceded for months. Added to that he can actually pass and overlaps makes him the far better full back. He hardly ever gets beaten that I've seen.

That post above is almost like a typical anti Wright post, so extreme it's untrue and out of character for you.

PS - As for the mistimed tackle by Fox, that's exactly a reason why Taylor is better. Any decent defender would have stayed on their feet and jockeyed the player as he was going nowehre. Fox had already made up the ground so didn't need to jump in. Even when he did he deliberately went for the man instead of the ball. He could have been sent off.

I thought everyone was labelling the left side of the team the problem area earlier in the season (partly in reaction to the fun ongoing debate about Wrighty)? Taylor always gets a clean start from me every match but always ends up winding me up a treat because I think he is capable of better. And partly because I would much rather see him used in midfield (central midfield if possible), but that's a different argument...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, and I expect the argument will be redundant in a couple of weeks because I reckon Taylor won't be around into next season.

Sadly i think you are right, and Fox will be

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:46 pm

I thought everyone was labelling the left side of the team the problem area earlier in the season (partly in reaction to the fun ongoing debate about Wrighty)?.

But wasn't that argument about the attacking side of the game, not the defensive, where we were very solid.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:20 pm

I agree about Taylor being in midfield but DD won't do it but he's certainly better than Fox at full back, the stats prove it.

As Neil says, the complaints earlier in the season were regards to the attacking intent of the left side because Fox never attacks, doesn't overlap and can't cross. Ishmel in front of Taylor would be my choice.

I agree that he might not be here also which is a big shame because he's far more talented than Fox and is a much better pro than Fox.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

I agree about Taylor being in midfield but DD won't do it but he's certainly better than Fox at full back, the stats prove it.

As Neil says, the complaints earlier in the season were regards to the attacking intent of the left side because Fox never attacks, doesn't overlap and can't cross. Ishmel in front of Taylor would be my choice.

I agree that he might not be here also which is a big shame because he's far more talented than Fox and is a much better pro than Fox.

And hes a Walsall Lad born and breed :wink:

deanonev69
Glitterati

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:45 am

cal wfc fan wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

And hes a Walsall Lad born and breed :wink:

Not having that-he's from Cannock!!!!

Purple Stand Pigeon

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:05 am

Born in Stafford but his family are more Brownhills now. ;)

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season