Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hereford (H) League Monday 9/4/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:27 pm

redsaddler wrote:Wright: Why was he brought back into team?

Could it be Cooper's awful performances for us and Wright's excellent sub appearance at Torquay that changed the game and took the pressure off us? I think so.

Did you go to Torquay?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:28 pm

I thought it was a good honest game, the sending off was a bit harsh, and overall we deserved to win.

Butler for me looked absolutely nakered from the off, so did Benjamin, it would have been far better to have rested one of them two and started with Sam and the Butler or Benjamin. Butler wasted 3 or 4 good oppurtunities, and Benjamin was caught on his heels a lot.

Danny Fox for once started to overlap, finally, but got visibly tired in the 2nd half.

Harper didn't track back enough for my liking, but there's no question he scares the crap out of defenders when he runs at them.

Mani Smith for me looked very wobbly, didnt ever really connect with his clearances or his headers - doesn't look half as good a 'footballer' as ZiDann, but having said that, he's 6ft 2, and very quick, and got one very important challenge in. I wouldn't have given him man of the match, but he certainly deserves a lot of plaudits for stepping up in to the team for his first start, in what was a tough match.

Mark Wright didn't have that bad a game, like I said on the main thread I don't understand why people got on his back after that performance, when he's turned in worse performances this season in my view. It was pleasing to see two out and out wide men for us yesterday, and to see Keates and Dobson cope [most of the time]. Wright is very frustrating though, because you can just see that a bit more effort and application would make him a much better player. For example, Kevin Harpers defensive inadequacies are forgiven on the strength of his running at defenders, crossing and general problem causing at the other end of the field, Mark Wright on the other hand just seems to be a passive member of the squad - letting the game happen around him. No point getting on at him now though.

Deano was terrific. Make no mistake, during our bad run in Jan and Feb he was ineffective [so was dobson] but in the last 5 games, Dean Keates has been truly superb - and I think voting for the player of the season should be held back a while cos on current form, Deano deserves it far more than Ropes or Dann. For a small guy with small legs, he makes one hell of a nuisance of himself and like I said on another thread, puts the likes of Fox and Wright to shame - two younger lads should have more energy and 'legs' than Keatesy, but Keatesy was everywhere and popped up [again] with a very important and very well taken goal. Man of the Match for me.

On to County now, and I hope Money and his men have the balls to go out and try and win this game convincingly and put on a real show for what will be a huge away following without comprimising out defensive security.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:33 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Mani Smith for me looked very wobbly, didnt ever really connect with his clearances or his headers - doesn't look half as good a 'footballer' as ZiDann, but having said that, he's 6ft 2, and very quick, and got one very important challenge in. I wouldn't have given him man of the match, but he certainly deserves a lot of plaudits for stepping up in to the team for his first start, in what was a tough match.

I'd agree with that Phil .... but I think it was down to nerves. He didn't play a pass longer than 5 yards for the first hour of the match and spent a lot of time looking around at other players, almost as if seeking some guidance. Thought he did settle down after that marvellous tackle though and it will be interesting to see how he progresses once he gets confidence.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:30 pm

redsaddler wrote:Westwood: A fairly quiet game for him. Hardly put a foot wrong as he defended well, although I thought that he could have got forward a bit more. 7.

I think he erred on the side of caution in that he was up against a quality, pacey player who would absolutely leave him for dead if he was caught out, and as others have said, with Harper in front, he has options to pass to a creative player and was offered little in the way of support defensively. I though Westwood barely put a foot wrong yesterday.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:04 pm

sid swifty wrote:
Chomper wrote:I don't get to too many games but I was lucky enough to go yesterday and felt that i witnessed a good game of football between two good sides. I was impressed with Hereford and thought the blond haired guy played well up front.

However, i didn't see much of the hoofball that has been mentioned over previous months. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but i think we mixed it up and also played some good football. Sometimes there's a need to get the ball forward quickly, other times we can play it around and be more patient. I think with TB winning his share of headers and Harper looking for the ball to feet, we are finding a good balance, one i hope will continue.

I would suggest that our football is definately improving as players are finding the confidence to hold the ball and play, rather than looking to knock it forwards to get rid quickly.
you must have been late getting in then chomper....the first half was all hoof and hope and misplaced passes.

And the second half? Or were you in the loo

Stephen

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:13 am

King Crimson wrote:
redsaddler wrote:Westwood: A fairly quiet game for him. Hardly put a foot wrong as he defended well, although I thought that he could have got forward a bit more. 7.

I think he erred on the side of caution in that he was up against a quality, pacey player who would absolutely leave him for dead if he was caught out, and as others have said, with Harper in front, he has options to pass to a creative player and was offered little in the way of support defensively. I though Westwood barely put a foot wrong yesterday.

Apart from when he tried to go past the Hereford player. He knocked it past him but didn't pick it up the other side :lol: :lol:

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:26 pm

Stephen wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Apart from when he tried to go past the Hereford player. He knocked it past him but didn't pick it up the other side :lol: :lol:

Perhaps he was trying to do his Mark Wright impression?

Tarka
UTS Regular

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:49 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:I realised thats what you were trying to tell me eventually. :lol:

Youre just lucky you get to sit next to her, id have loved to have held her in celebration of our goal - her husband wouldnt though

I dont' my wife and daughter separate me from Tarka. I will even have wifey to keep an eye on me at Notts County - mind you - I wont be in any position to "stay" for a few weeks anyway - please be gentle with me on Saturday if you see me :oops:

Can't believe I've only just read this! Thanks my lovelies xxxx :D

Almost joined you with the peasants after the goal Gaz...my jumping around got a bit out of control and threw myself on the chap who sits in front. :oops:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:24 pm

Tarka wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
Gary Ellison Saddler wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:I realised thats what you were trying to tell me eventually. :lol:

Youre just lucky you get to sit next to her, id have loved to have held her in celebration of our goal - her husband wouldnt though

I dont' my wife and daughter separate me from Tarka. I will even have wifey to keep an eye on me at Notts County - mind you - I wont be in any position to "stay" for a few weeks anyway - please be gentle with me on Saturday if you see me :oops:

Can't believe I've only just read this! Thanks my lovelies xxxx :D

Almost joined you with the peasants after the goal Gaz...my jumping around got a bit out of control and threw myself on the chap who sits in front. :oops:

That bloke - Luckiest ever!

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season