Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hereford (H) League Monday 9/4/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:12 pm

one eyed Hereford fan rant

Hereford fans watched an interesting game. I seem to recall thinking they were a bit 'chippy', and this just bears it out!

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:A battling well fought win. A tale of two halves I thought.

First half they totally bossed us, there midfield and left winger were very good I felt, however in the 2nd half we had the impotus and pushed for a great win.

Ince - Didnt too much wrong.

Westwood - we looked far more comfortable and solid with him there.
Gerrard - best game for bloody ages, why he cant play like this every week I do no know, seemed to take control today.
Smith - What a debut, won nearly everything, looked composed as well.
Fox - solid but his lack of forward runs annoys me.

Wright - Absolutely anonymous and wont play again.
Dobson - Not as good as recent weeks, but did his fair share.
Keates - Wasnt involved much first half, but took charge and drove us forward in the 2nd.
Harper - our only real attacking threat before he was taken off. Did well.

Benjamin - I thought he did well today, WYSIWYG.
Butler - I thought he was very poor today, does not look sharp at all.

Subs:

Wrack - Didnt do too much but made us look a bit more solid and controlled.
KT - Brought on to sure htigns up and did just that.
Sam - brought on as a 5th midfielder and did well, not much time to do anything tho!

:shock: Am i really seeing this or am my eyes decieving me! :wink:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:16 pm

Maybe we should have opened one turnstyle and kept them waiting outside to half 3

Shame I'll miss all those weird grounds and fans next season :D

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Pedro wrote:Maybe we should have opened one turnstyle and kept them waiting outside to half 3

Shame I'll miss all those weird grounds and fans next season :D

And made them all have the correct money.

It has been a experience this year places like Macclesfield and Hereford. I've loved it though-Hereford, Shrewsbury and Torquay were fantastic away experiences

As for todaysgame, thoroughly professional IMO with (before he got tired), Benajmin being outstanding. Less said about Mark Wright the better though-hoped he'd take his chance today

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:50 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Looking at the starting 11 today, you would have thought two wingers (well, one winger and a scarecrow) would give us a more attacking approach. That wasn't the case, and it was clear things had to be changed if we were going to score. I think Wright may well have played his last game now. It was an odd decision to bring him back into the team in the first place, but the fact that when given the chance to stake a claim for a regular spot, he bottled it, means that he does not have the ability nor the character to conribute anything to this football club.

Special mention for Manny Smith. The fact that he never looked out of place in a very important fixture is to his credit. I think THAT tackle he made in the second half won him the award, and he deserved it as much as anyone.

Does this mean MWAS will be wound up at the end of the season then? I've heard they are second on Begby Traynor's list after they have finished with Scarborough!! :wink:

Also think Mannie Smith had an excellent debut today, and THAT tackle was brilliant, agreed!

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:47 am

great result , 3points from 4 games needed , even Walsall can't blow it now. :wink

WALSALL ARE BACK

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:30 am

Another professional performance against a decent Hereford midfield who made things difficult. As mentioned the left winger looked worth a look at in the Summer, but then I know fans from other teams would have said the same about Ishmel last season. I also like the tall midfielder who reminded me a lot of Greg Halford when he was at Colchester, and maybe Glen Little. He turned Fox inside out at that one point.

Congratulations to Clayton. I really was disappointed when we signed him but he's been excellent. Dropped a couple of crosses yesterday but overall was good and that one save was excellent. Well done on his record.

We were good at the back. Another change but they all know their jobs so slot in well wherever they're asked to play. Mannie Smith looked like he'd been playing for years. Like I say, you don't know until you try them. ;)

All the players have stepped up a gear in the last month but Keates has gone into overdrive. If anyone still doubts whether he has the quality to be kept on for next season after his recent performances (performances not goals) then you'll be scratching around to find the evidence. Dobson had another consistent game. Wright was quiet after his excellent sub appearance at Torquay but as I've said all season the running he does to cover at full back is often missed and Cooper certainly hasn't been doing it. Harper was patchy, sometimes showing his excellence then frustrating at times in the second half. We'll need his quality next season though so sign him up asap.

Butler is tired and his first touch has been terrible recently but still puts his running in, even if they're not always effective. On the other hand Benjamin's first touch was very good. Still not a perfect partnership despite their past exploits at Cambridge when they'd both have been pacier but there was some lovely link up play in the first half with them and Harper.

As good as there. Can't wait till County. :D

Percie
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:38 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:Looking at the starting 11 today, you would have thought two wingers (well, one winger and a scarecrow) would give us a more attacking approach. That wasn't the case, and it was clear things had to be changed if we were going to score. I think Wright may well have played his last game now. It was an odd decision to bring him back into the team in the first place, but the fact that when given the chance to stake a claim for a regular spot, he bottled it, means that he does not have the ability nor the character to conribute anything to this football club.

Special mention for Manny Smith. The fact that he never looked out of place in a very important fixture is to his credit. I think THAT tackle he made in the second half won him the award, and he deserved it as much as anyone.

Does this mean MWAS will be wound up at the end of the season then? I've heard they are second on Begby Traynor's list after they have finished with Scarborough!! :wink:

Also think Mannie Smith had an excellent debut today, and THAT tackle was brilliant, agreed!

The MWAS does not get wound up. The MWAS is also here forever. As much as you try to deny it, you all LOVE Mark Wright!

BRAP!!!!!!!

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:16 am

Thoughts on yesterday.....not a GREAT performance but EXACTLY what was needed. The scrappy 1-0 win was far more important than an open game where we drew or lost. This manager certainly knows how to grind out results and get promotion. Player by player;

Ince - excellent yet again. Didn't have too much to do, one great save which the ref missed and the obligatory dropped cross in the 2nd half. Very important that we sign him for next year I think.

Westwood - very tricky player against him and little support from Harper when he was on the right so an excellent performance I think. He would have been my MoM

Fox - thought he was very solid defensively but distribution woeful as always. Shown up for what he is towards the end when Dobson charged forward putting pressure on the Hereford players and chasing a "lost cause" towards the left corner flag....while Fox stood motionless some 20 yards back watching!

Smith - very assured debut, especially after the first 30 mins when he looked very nervous. And THAT tackle!!!!

Gerrard - defensively solid, dsitribution woeful! What is it about the scousers in the team?!?

Wright - I was disappointed. Have defended him all year but yesterday his attacking was poor. That said, I agree with MMF about his defending and tracking back. There was an instance in the 1st half where he ran 50 yards to mark a Hereford player on the break.

Harper - touches of brilliance, fair few things didn't seem to work for him yesterday. Interestingly, those who criticise Wright's appetite for the game....what do you make of Harper's lack of running and chasing back at times? He has quality and, for that reason alone, I'd like to see him signed up for next year. But I wonder, in Mr Money's gameplan, whether we'll be looking for someone who takes the defensive element of the game a bit more seriously?

Keates - 1st half I thought he showed all the reasons why, at times, I've said he's not good enough. But then 2nd half, he led by example and was excellent. Invaluable when one of your midfield players is following in on shots at the keeper. Great attitude, chasing down opponents to the last.

Dobson - in a very quiet way, I thought yesterday was one of his best games for Walsall. Competed brilliantly for everything. 2nd half, Keates pushed much further forward and so, when Hereford attacked, Dobson was often left on his own in midfield. Despite this, he won more than his fair share of the ball. He'll be vital for next year in my opinion.

Butler - looked off the pace but worked tirelessly as ever. Also seemed to be wound up in the first half and I had a feeling was going to get booked or sent off.

Benjamin - excellent IMHO. Lots of flick-ons, some great control. One good "goal" chalked off for offside, set up Butler's chance in the 2nd half, got the Hereford man sent off because of his power. If we play to his strengths, he is excellent. If you're looking for a quick mobile forward to chase everything, he's NOT your man!

Taylor - did fine when he came on.

Sam - no chance to get involved. Wrong type of game for him

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:22 am

ShropsSaddler wrote:Harper - touches of brilliance, fair few things didn't seem to work for him yesterday. Interestingly, those who criticise Wright's appetite for the game....what do you make of Harper's lack of running and chasing back at times? He has quality and, for that reason alone, I'd like to see him signed up for next year. But I wonder, in Mr Money's gameplan, whether we'll be looking for someone who takes the defensive element of the game a bit more seriously?

As has been suggested on another thread, Harper's lack of fitness is clear. Given that he was tracking back and defending earlier in his loan spell, it wouldn't surprise me if he's told by DD to stay upfield so we can make the most of his ability going forward.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:26 am

WFC_Rob wrote:As has been suggested on another thread, Harper's lack of fitness is clear. Given that he was tracking back and defending earlier in his loan spell, it wouldn't surprise me if he's told by DD to stay upfield so we can make the most of his ability going forward.

That doesn't sound like Mr Money's tactics!!! :-)

I still wonder whether there isn't a case for him playing "up front" and using his pace and trickery there.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:39 am

Ince - What can you saveabout Incey always there when you need him

Westie - Solid game again for Chris.

Fox - Again solid game , wish he would attack a bit more

Smith - What can you say the kid did great

Ant Gerrard - Like said before solid but cannot pass for toffee :wink:

Wright - Even though I'm a member of MWAS he has a shocker . Was hiding most of first half

Harper - Harp's really get to me he must one of thebest players in this div, but sometime turns into Wrighty.still had a great 2nd half

Dobson - Solid again, bloke was knackered at the end . Captain's performance

Keates - Mini me MOTM again the little man was everywhere , showed the fight and passion of a true Walsall boy

Benji- Brick s***t house . Another good display , bring players into the game veey well

Butler - Not his best game for us , but never shy's away

Subs

Wrack - Did ok

Sam - Did ok

Taylor - Did ok - Prefer him to fox

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:51 am

Exile wrote:one eyed Hereford fan rant

Hereford fans watched an interesting game. I seem to recall thinking they were a bit 'chippy', and this just bears it out!

Inferiority complex. Bless 'em.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:00 am

sid swifty wrote:To sum it up....good result but the performances haven't improved much have they?

Sid, I have to say it (after several beers, wines and a Japanese feed involving lots of raw fish), but if we played the way you want every week, we'd be in the middle of this division for ever. Is that what you want (what you really really want) from WFC?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 am

Exile wrote:
sid swifty wrote:To sum it up....good result but the performances haven't improved much have they?

Sid, I have to say it (after several beers, wines and a Japanese feed involving lots of raw fish), but if we played the way you want every week, we'd be in the middle of this division for ever. Is that what you want (what you really really want) from WFC?

Quite right! We have needed to "grind out" results as we did yesterday. There are several teams in this division that play "nice" footie - indeed Hereford passed it around nicely. But where did it get them yesterday!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 am

Exile wrote:

No mate...as you know ive hardly fully endorsed DDs style of football and have with held my cash in protest...which is my right and it doesn't make me any less of a supporter than anyone else on here having followed them since i could walk virually...but i do really worry about DDs tactics...he wont change next season because the games will be harder...so ok i hold my hands up he has not done it in a pretty way (understated or what?) but it looks like he has got us promoted... but next season if we are in mid-table...going nowhere...the only thing you have is the standard of football...and thats when he will either have to change his deffensive ideas or go...we were warned by some of the fans from the Aussie club he used to play for that he likes to hoof it and hope so it should be no shock really i suppose...and in answer to your question Tim...of course i would rather get promoted than not but unless DD changes his tactics then he will get a torrent of abuse if we are not succesfull next season.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:44 am

aldridge steve wrote:
Exile wrote:

Quite right! We have needed to "grind out" results as we did yesterday. There are several teams in this division that play "nice" footie - indeed Hereford passed it around nicely. But where did it get them yesterday!

Spot on Steve , I could name 3 or 4 teams , that have look good at Bescot playing nice football , not 1 of them will finish above us .
a couple of them won't even make the play offs.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:51 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
Exile wrote:

Spot on Steve , I could name 3 or 4 teams , that have look good at Bescot playing nice football , not 1 of them will finish above us .
a couple of them won't even make the play offs.
well you've convinced me....lets all settle for crapp football...give DD a 10 yr contract... :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:53 am

sid swifty wrote:
Exile wrote:

No mate...as you know ive hardly fully endorsed DDs style of football and have with held my cash in protest...which is my right and it doesn't make me any less of a supporter than anyone else on here having followed them since i could walk virually...but i do really worry about DDs tactics...he wont change next season because the games will be harder...so ok i hold my hands up he has not done it in a pretty way (understated or what?) but it looks like he has got us promoted... but next season if we are in mid-table...going nowhere...the only thing you have is the standard of football...and thats when he will either have to change his deffensive ideas or go...we were warned by some of the fans from the Aussie club he used to play for that he likes to hoof it and hope so it should be no shock really i suppose...and in answer to your question Tim...of course i would rather get promoted than not but unless DD changes his tactics then he will get a torrent of abuse if we are not succesfull next season.

Cool - the one difference btw these 2 divisions is the time on the ball with the better clubs, which will make us look a lot better next season where we've not this year (all apparently, having not seen much footie :wink: ), thanks to the lack of hoofball as the skill level goes up. I worried midwinter that we were resorting to the HOOF, but it looks like it was a winter tactic rather than desperation, and I can only hope we play on better winter pitches next year.

I'm sure we'll see better games, sid, and I hope you're there to witness them and tell me what I'm missing.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:56 am

Exile wrote:
sid swifty wrote:
Exile wrote:

Cool - the one difference btw these 2 divisions is the time on the ball with the better clubs, which will make us look a lot better next season where we've not this year (all apparently, having not seen much footie :wink: ), thanks to the lack of hoofball as the skill level goes up. I worried midwinter that we were resorting to the HOOF, but it looks like it was a winter tactic rather than desperation, and I can only hope we play on better winter pitches next year.

I'm sure we'll see better games, sid, and I hope you're there to witness them and tell me what I'm missing.
dont worry tim...i will go to the first 10 games or so and if it has improved i will carry on going...fingers crossed eh?

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:02 pm

There's nothing petty about Basement football Sid , just be glad mate we are out of it .
I'm not sure what to expect next season , a lot will depend on what signings we make. but i do expect to see better football are i'm prepared to give DD the benefit of doubt .

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:08 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:There's nothing petty about Basement football Sid , just be glad mate we are out of it .
I'm not sure what to expect next season , a lot will depend on what signings we make. but i do expect to see better football are i'm prepared to give DD the benefit of doubt .
well maybe we can talk about it over a pint in the saddlers club Dave... :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:15 pm

sid swifty wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:There's nothing petty about Basement football Sid , just be glad mate we are out of it .
well maybe we can talk about it over a pint in the saddlers club Dave... :wink:

anytime mate. my pleasure . I'll be there for Bury and Wrexham

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:32 pm

I don't get to too many games but I was lucky enough to go yesterday and felt that i witnessed a good game of football between two good sides. I was impressed with Hereford and thought the blond haired guy played well up front.

However, i didn't see much of the hoofball that has been mentioned over previous months. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but i think we mixed it up and also played some good football. Sometimes there's a need to get the ball forward quickly, other times we can play it around and be more patient. I think with TB winning his share of headers and Harper looking for the ball to feet, we are finding a good balance, one i hope will continue.

I would suggest that our football is definately improving as players are finding the confidence to hold the ball and play, rather than looking to knock it forwards to get rid quickly.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Chomper wrote:I don't get to too many games but I was lucky enough to go yesterday and felt that i witnessed a good game of football between two good sides. I was impressed with Hereford and thought the blond haired guy played well up front.

However, i didn't see much of the hoofball that has been mentioned over previous months. I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but i think we mixed it up and also played some good football. Sometimes there's a need to get the ball forward quickly, other times we can play it around and be more patient. I think with TB winning his share of headers and Harper looking for the ball to feet, we are finding a good balance, one i hope will continue.

I would suggest that our football is definately improving as players are finding the confidence to hold the ball and play, rather than looking to knock it forwards to get rid quickly.
you must have been late getting in then chomper....the first half was all hoof and hope and misplaced passes.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:40 pm

Here's my thoughts on yesterday:

Although it wasn't exactly the best performance I've seen, on the whole I thought we just about deserved the all-important three points. I thought we defended fairly solidly against an attack-minded Hereford side and although we didn't create too many chances, we managed to get the vital goal at the vital time.

Ince: Made one top-drawer save in the first half and, otherwise commanded his box excellently as usual. 7.

Westwood: A fairly quiet game for him. Hardly put a foot wrong as he defended well, although I thought that he could have got forward a bit more. 7.

Gerrard: Much more composed at the back after a few indifferent performances. Distribution was mixed. 7.

Smith: Excellent full debut and deserved the MOTM award. Never put a foot wrong, won his fair share of headers and made one superb goal-saving tackle. 9.

Fox: He got terrorised by Williams at times, but stuck to his job manfully. Distribution was poor again though. 6.

Wright: Why was he brought back into team? He was out-of-sorts and missed his chance to stake a claim. People around me were crying for him to be substituted! 4.

Dobson: I thought he had a poor game. Some of his aimless balls forward didn't pay off and he was far too slow at times. 6.

Keates: Another tireless performance. He is in a rich vein of form at the moment and scored his 12th goal of the season which turned out to be the winner. 8.

Harper: Didn't have the best of games. In the first half he swapped wings with Wright numerous times and I thought that this affected him. 6.

Butler: Missed a good chance in the first half and went close in the second, their keeper making a top-drawer save. Looked a little jaded towards the end. 7.

Benjamin: His hold-up play was good as we looked to open up their stubborn defence. I thought he got their player sent-off, but that's my opinion! 7.

Subs:

Wrack: Had very little impact in the game up until he nearly scored with a low effort that Brown parried away for Keates to score. 6.

Sam: The sending-off and Keates goal made him wait to be introduced. Had very little impact in the closing stages. 5.

Taylor: Again, like Sam, he had very little impact after being brought on late. 5.

Bulls star man?

I'm tempted to go with Brown for making a couple of great saves to keep them in the game, but I'm going for Williams as he caused Fox some problems with his pace and trickery, and nearly scored a superb solo goal in the first half.

So, another three points gained even though it wasn't the best of performances, but at this stage of the season it's getting points on the board that matter. One more win or an MK Dons defeat will secure our return to League One. Let's hope that we are all celebrating come 5:00 on Saturday!

Up The Saddlers!

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:44 pm

redsaddler wrote:Here's my thoughts on yesterday:

Although it wasn't exactly the best performance I've seen, on the whole I thought we just about deserved the all-important three points. I thought we defended fairly solidly against an attack-minded Hereford side and although we didn't create too many chances, we managed to get the vital goal at the vital time.

Ince: Made one top-drawer save in the first half and, otherwise commanded his box excellently as usual. 7.

Westwood: A fairly quiet game for him. Hardly put a foot wrong as he defended well, although I thought that he could have got forward a bit more. 7.

Gerrard: Much more composed at the back after a few indifferent performances. Distribution was mixed. 7.

Smith: Excellent full debut and deserved the MOTM award. Never put a foot wrong, won his fair share of headers and made one superb goal-saving tackle. 9.

Fox: He got terrorised by Williams at times, but stuck to his job manfully. Distribution was poor again though. 6.

Wright: Why was he brought back into team? He was out-of-sorts and missed his chance to stake a claim. People around me were crying for him to be substituted! 4.

Dobson: I thought he had a poor game. Some of his aimless balls forward didn't pay off and he was far too slow at times. 6.

Keates: Another tireless performance. He is in a rich vein of form at the moment and scored his 12th goal of the season which turned out to be the winner. 8.

Harper: Didn't have the best of games. In the first half he swapped wings with Wright numerous times and I thought that this affected him. 6.

Butler: Missed a good chance in the first half and went close in the second, their keeper making a top-drawer save. Looked a little jaded towards the end. 7.

Benjamin: His hold-up play was good as we looked to open up their stubborn defence. I thought he got their player sent-off, but that's my opinion! 7.

Subs:

Wrack: Had very little impact in the game up until he nearly scored with a low effort that Brown parried away for Keates to score. 6.

Sam: The sending-off and Keates goal made him wait to be introduced. Had very little impact in the closing stages. 5.

Taylor: Again, like Sam, he had very little impact after being brought on late. 5.

Bulls star man?

I'm tempted to go with Brown for making a couple of great saves to keep them in the game, but I'm going for Williams as he caused Fox some problems with his pace and trickery, and nearly scored a superb solo goal in the first half.

So, another three points gained even though it wasn't the best of performances, but at this stage of the season it's getting points on the board that matter. One more win or an MK Dons defeat will secure our return to League One. Let's hope that we are all celebrating come 5:00 on Saturday!

Up The Saddlers!
Its funny how many posts have started this season with those immortal words...."Although it wasn't exactly the best performance" .... :shock:
Last edited by sid swifty on Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:44 pm

Its funny how many of the division 3 tables have us nigh on promoted with 4 games to go :shock:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:16 pm

What a feel good factor it is, having won that game!!

Didn't make it easy on ourselves, particularly first half but we got there and deserved the win overall, just about.

Thought Hereford did well and caused us a few problems, particularly in the first half. Their left winger looked very tricky reminded me of Daryl Taylor a little bit, pre-injury of course!! The guy on the other side of midfield (Todd I think) was also handy. Their centre midfielders also did well, passed the ball around and bossed Keates and Dobson a bit during the first 45. The main problem we had in the first half, I felt, was their number 12, Alan Connell dropping in to 'the hole' and picking the ball up, turning and spreading it or playing midfielders in. This happened at least 4 times and better fortune for them might have resulted in clearer chances or a goal. Our centre backs didn't come out with him and Keates and Dobbo were in front so no-one picked him up, giving him bags of time. Thankfully it was a different story second half!!

Anyway, onto us! The first 10-15 mins of the second half we had the tempo to our game we lacked the first 45. Used the ball a lot better and with pace which caused them problems. Benjamin used his strength well but was second to a lot of things, and harper was more effective, particularly when he drifted in side. Can understand why Mannie Smith got MoM, he certainly was excellent on his debut, although I think Keates was superb and showed great fight, and Westwood played well too. Either of those could have got it too. Worries still include distribution from the back - we cleared it / passedit straight to their players numerous times. Dobson and Keates didn't come looking for the ball as much yesterday which they have done in the past, something Hereford's middle two did quite effectively in the first 45.

Ince - better shouting to his players and claimed the ball well.
Westwood - had to contend with a tricky winger and didn't get a great deal of support down that side at times, very good.
Smith - Super debut, can't remember much he lost in the air and showed good composure at times.
Gerrard - much more consistent and did well alongside Smith - work on passing though Ant!
Fox - okay, nothing more. Actually looked better when he moved forward after Taylor came on and got more into the game.
Wright - One or two good bits and crosses from corners but missing for long periods. Again, lacked bottle in a few challenges and I didn't think he worked that hard at getting back and tracking at times as MMF mentioned earlier.
Dobbo - solid and effective,not as noticeable as in other games but you don't always want or need that. Better second half.
Keates - okay 1st half, superb second half. Showed real heart - can never fault him on that front.
Harper - drifted in and out of the game. You always think he will do more than he does sometimes and gets caught up by players chasing him sometimes when you think he should really pull away. Not quite fit, obviously, but great experience and class at times. Drifted inside well on occasions.
Butler - out of sorts but always works hard and creates stuff for us. Seems to always be in there and give himself a couple of chances no matter what!
Benjamin - good flick ons and used strength well. Manufactured the free kick and sending off I thought a little!

Wrack - okay,not quite the hustle and bustle but did what he had to in the time.
Taylor - thought he did well, showed much better use of the ball from left back position that Fox did, despite not being on very long.
Sam - little jog will have done him good! - nice slash at a player too right out of the Beckham schoolof tackling!!

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:27 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Dobson and Keates didn't come looking for the ball as much yesterday which they have done in the past, something Hereford's middle two did quite effectively in the first 45.

Very good point JJ. I said the same at half-time. I think you're right about Dobson ... he usually makes himself available for the pass as much as possible, but he was missing at times in the first half yesterday. And with Keates, that's one of my "problems" with him. For all the great work he does and the drive he shows, sometimes he's content to pass the ball and then disappear behind a defender. Thought he did that 1st half but improved greatly 2nd half. Perhaps the manager DOES see the same game as us :D and had a word at half time.

Makes you realise what superb players Samways (in particular) and Osborn were ... but no secret to it, they passed the ball, then they moved and asked for it back. Simple really!

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season