Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Torquay United (A) League Saturday 7/4/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:37 pm

to quote a certain UTS member it was

"mint" :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:48 pm

Pedro wrote:What a great weekend

Friday night Torquay was full of Saddlers

Saturday I had the trots but who gives at s*** we won

Keates was mint MOTM the lad was everywhere

You obviously gave a sh!t :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:53 pm

Bernie wrote:I was not making any point in my question to Leamore.

I did not put forward an argument, I simply asked Leamore, who has seen a lot of the reserves, whether he thought that it would made much difference if Dobson, Butler and Benjamin had been replaced by Bradley, Constable, Nicholls or Ishmel.

If there is any inference to be gained from my question it would be that I do not think that Richard Money has been particularly successful with his signings. He has certainly not "built his own team", despite bringing 14 players to the club.

As for Merson, I have no doubt that Richard Money is far superior as a manager to him. For the record I was totally opposed to Merson from the day he was appointed - because it was blindingly obvious to me that his out of control addictions would prevent him from being able to do the job. Giving the job to Merson was ridiculous - it was always certain to end in disaster. I am pretty sure that if Richard Money had been in charge all last season we would have been nowhere near the relegation zone.

Albert Steptoe was a superior football manager to Manure Slop.

Your quasi inquisitiveness re Money's signings is frankly a non starter. Every Walsall manager has a mixed record re signings because they are in charge or Walsall FC. Those that have had the misfortune to manage us at this level get the brownest end of a very brown coloured stick.

Bernie, I'll be perfectly frank with you shall I ?? And this is the most personal and provocative post I've ever made on here by the way in many a long year.

You are obviously a very intelligent and knowledgeable poster.

Why do you spend so much time pretending to be so thick??

And that's a very genuine question by the way.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:45 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:
Bernie wrote:I was not making any point in my question to Leamore.

I did not put forward an argument, I simply asked Leamore, who has seen a lot of the reserves, whether he thought that it would made much difference if Dobson, Butler and Benjamin had been replaced by Bradley, Constable, Nicholls or Ishmel.

If there is any inference to be gained from my question it would be that I do not think that Richard Money has been particularly successful with his signings. He has certainly not "built his own team", despite bringing 14 players to the club.

As for Merson, I have no doubt that Richard Money is far superior as a manager to him. For the record I was totally opposed to Merson from the day he was appointed - because it was blindingly obvious to me that his out of control addictions would prevent him from being able to do the job. Giving the job to Merson was ridiculous - it was always certain to end in disaster. I am pretty sure that if Richard Money had been in charge all last season we would have been nowhere near the relegation zone.

Albert Steptoe was a superior football manager to Manure Slop.

Your quasi inquisitiveness re Money's signings is frankly a non starter. Every Walsall manager has a mixed record re signings because they are in charge or Walsall FC. Those that have had the misfortune to manage us at this level get the brownest end of a very brown coloured stick.

Bernie, I'll be perfectly frank with you shall I ?? And this is the most personal and provocative post I've ever made on here by the way in many a long year.

You are obviously a very intelligent and knowledgeable poster.

Why do you spend so much time pretending to be so thick??

And that's a very genuine question by the way.

I think its the "Franksy/Mike Parry" trying to be provocative type of post. Trying to cause an argument when he has a very weak viewpoint. :roll:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:49 pm

Back to the match, rather than the windups.... Great, comfortable first half, followed by Walsall trying our best to give the game away in the 2nd half.

Positives, Keates was super, so was Smith when he came on. Butler ran a lot but with little end product but the team in general did what they had to do. Deeneys pace and enthusiasm brightened up the last few moments.

Negatives, Pead is NOT a full back, worst team in the country gave him the run around, also Wrack went missing 2nd half.

3 more wins should do it :lol:

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:03 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:toughy....... but yes I would, we looked far far more comfortable with Smith at the back, Gerrard was poor again, so was westwood really, both seemed to relax when Smith came in, he won everythign in the air, made brilliant blocks.

I thoguht our youth system was crap ? :roll: :lol:

Makes me laugh, what does a manager need to do at this club to get praise! brilliant tactical substitution today.

Just to expand more, Darren Wrack was absolutely anonymous today, Coopers performances make Wrack look like a penguin. He was useless, maybe some people will realise how good Cooper is now ? Benjamin came alivei n the last 20 minutes, could not believe me eyes when Butlers number came up, but it was the right decision.

Wright came on, made a few attempted crosses, but was actually better than Wrack, which is saying something about how bad Wrack was! KT and Danny Fox looked more comfortable playing together as well, was very little threat from down their right wing.

A win away from home with 3 key players ruled out (Cooper, Harper and Sam) not to mention missing Roper, Picken and Dann, shows how good a squad we have.

How could you say Gerrard was poor???

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:06 pm

Cos he always does :D

To much clotted cream i think saturday

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:06 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Cos he always does :D

Took the word right out of my mouth..... :shock:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:19 pm

Yes though Mannie smith did very well when he came on , so did Troy and nearley scored with his 1st touch

Win Monday and next Saturday then its all over

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:22 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Bernie wrote:If there is any inference to be gained from my question it would be that I do not think that Richard Money has been particularly successful with his signings. He has certainly not "built his own team", despite bringing 14 players to the club.

Another question you need to ask though, is did he need to 'build his own team'?

In the likes of Gerrard, Westwood, Roper, Dann, Fox, Taylor and Keates, we have a number of players who are capable of performing in a promotion-aspiring league two side.
Money just had to supplement this with a blend of experience and consistent performers. That's exactly what he did.
From Money's point of view, what's the point in bringing in a brand new first team squad, when most of the players at the club are already good enough, and have suffered from diabolical management over the previous 2 seasons?

Exactly, son. Some of us spent the last two seasons of woeful under achievement saying that all the team needed was some organisation and discipline. Money has proved that that was, indeed the case. He's added to the squad with some good signings, especially considering that no one in their right mind was going to come with the club in the state it was in.

On top of that, we now have a team where the youngsters can be broken in gently into a winning outfit, instead of being chucked in at the deep end into a team struggling against Pub outfits in the FA Cup, with tons of pressure on them because of the position we are in and failing accordingly.

addo
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:35 am

As a slight aside.

I just looked at the match stats link from the official site.

According to them we had just one shot on target on Saturday. :shock:

Hows that work ??? :?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:55 am

addo wrote:As a slight aside.

I just looked at the match stats link from the official site.

According to them we had just one shot on target on Saturday. :shock:

Hows that work ??? :?

Time-space=ball possestion/mc2+root of all evil = 1 shot on target. Easy.

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:21 am

Did anybody else see the Torquay cheese-mobile?

:D :D :D :D :D

Percie
Glitterati

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:49 am

Kiansmom wrote:

Hang on a sec, does that mean your justifying Gerrard's Performances in the last month?

I can think of at least 4 goals in the last 5 games that Gerrard has been at fault for. He is the WORST centre half we have at the club. Roper, Dann, Westwood and I'd go as far to as Picken next season should all be infront of him in the picking order. His positional play is dire and it seems his headings gone to pot. I believe hes found his level in League 2.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:19 am

Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Hang on a sec, does that mean your justifying Gerrard's Performances in the last month?

I can think of at least 4 goals in the last 5 games that Gerrard has been at fault for. He is the WORST centre half we have at the club. Roper, Dann, Westwood and I'd go as far to as Picken next season should all be infront of him in the picking order. His positional play is dire and it seems his headings gone to pot. I believe hes found his level in League 2.

I was just about to post a rebuttal, but you are being sarcastic - right? Think I might have just saved myself a WHOOOOOOOOOOSH there...

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:49 am

Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

I love yow Percie, you don't half make me laugh

Gerrard had a poor game against Accrington, but other than that he has played well over the past month.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:54 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

I was just about to post a rebuttal, but you are being sarcastic - right? Think I might have just saved myself a WHOOOOOOOOOOSH there...

No he wasn't being sarcastic, he spends to much time around young Metfan, who encourages the easily led Percie to participate in wednesbury wind ups, it ay really in Walsall, but don't mention that, cos they get rather upset, and i don't like Percie being upset, cos he is lovely, Daz ay bad either, i like his hair

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:33 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

No he wasn't being sarcastic, he spends to much time around young Metfan, who encourages the easily led Percie to participate in wednesbury wind ups, it ay really in Walsall, but don't mention that, cos they get rather upset, and i don't like Percie being upset, cos he is lovely, Daz ay bad either, i like his hair

Thats what they get for living far too close to Tipton and Dinglehampton :lol:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:23 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

But we've only conceded four in the last five games. And two of them weren't his fault. And the other two were partly the fault of Westwood and Ince. It day make any sense.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:33 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Percie wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

But we've only conceded four in the last five games. And two of them weren't his fault. And the other two were partly the fault of Westwood and Ince. It day make any sense.

It's done to be childish and wind me up, don't bother biting :lol:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:03 pm

I ay biting. i love Daz, his hair is so sexy, he don't come from Walsall, but i accept him like one of my own, cos he wears lovely Shirts, Everyone reckons he is a yga, but i dont believe any of them

He loves Antnee really, cos he has a famous Cousin, i know this cos he told me in the Saddlers club this afternoon, loving the Baseball cap Daz x x x

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well you knows it saus! I also love your 'salmon' shirt xxxxxx

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:17 pm

You are my role model Darren x x x

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:20 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:You are my role model Darren x x x

Its ok ok, I can deal with this, I have never had so much recognition in my life, I feel somewhat overcome with emotion xxxxxx

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:22 pm

One day you will be as famous as me young Darren..

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:58 am

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:I thoguht our youth system was crap ? :roll: :lol:

If you were referring to my posts last week, if you read you'd know that I was actually saying we have an excellent youth system but that DD hasn't bothered to use for the majority of the season.

It's amazing the power of this board. The week before last I criticised Dobson's passing every day then against Accrington he has his best game for months with some delightful passes. Then this week I criticise DD's reluctance to use youth and pace and Mannie Smitth and Troy Deeney are given their debuts in a crucial match (no type of match for youngsters apparently) and did very well. DD know who to listen to. ;) ;)

I can understand some of the negatives early in the thread from people on here during the match but honestly we didn't sit back and defend regardless of what it sounded like and what the stats were. We were just penned back by a very determined Torquay side fighting for their lives. There is a difference.

Warsaw - It was definitely a Lincoln moment as I said leaving the ground. Exactly the same feeling. :D

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season