Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Torquay United (A) League Saturday 7/4/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:54 pm

Oh joy, joy, I can hardly write....jesus. We've done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

merse-iah's disciple

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:55 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Don't get me wrong, it would be great to win the league, but I dont think we have the quality, they're not out of reach, especially if the results stay as they are.

You can say that over 46 games, wherever you finish is how good you are. But, on the other hand, we gave away a tremendous lead over other teams this season. Hartlepool have more or less garunteed their promotion by hitting excellent form at the perfect time, whereas on the other hand, we are only just starting to pick up an unbeaten run. Had we started performing a month earlier, it would be much much closer for the top spot.

Agree to some extent mate but its not like are only just starting to have a decent run is it? We started the season on fire, granted that 'Poole got ther run going at a slightly better time in the season.

I see the Accies have just scored! Coleman will be pleased!

Norfolk_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:55 pm

Gotta go. Need to change my pants.

TofDover
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:56 pm

Yesssssssssss

merse-iah's disciple

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:57 pm

The saddlers go marching on!

Watch out Torquay there will be Black Country Boys (and girls) on it tonight!!

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:57 pm

Bloody Hell that was hard work!

Cooooooooooommmee on!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:58 pm

YES YES YES YES!!!!!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:59 pm

You could argue it was the defensive lineup that allowed us to maintain our lead and claim the three points. That would be giving the manager far too much credit though. :roll:
7 points clear with 5 games left to play. It's possible for us to get promoted at Notts County isn't it?

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Good grief we don't do it the easy way do we!

MK Dongs must be bricking it now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:06 pm

I hate to say it, but this is probably going to be the pivotal afternoon of the season. It's not just the win, but virtually every result went as well as it could have. Thanks to that, Hartlepool are even catchable now.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I hate to say it, but this is probably going to be the pivotal afternoon of the season. It's not just the win, but virtually every result went as well as it could have. Thanks to that, Hartlepool are even catchable now.

Very catchable.

In fact I think we will catch them :D

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:12 pm

130 posts so far and 90% of us are in Torquay :shock:

This thread could go over 500 once MMF has his say :lol:

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:13 pm

Almost nailed on I think. A wonderful set of results for us (thank you Alan Buckley, always a Saddler), and even Boston lost, so hopefully another nail in the coffin for that shower of cheating cloggers. Actually quite pleased Accy are pulling themselves clear - they didn't look a bad side last week, and its good to see them back in the league, after they were shafted in 63.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:13 pm

dornansog wrote:130 posts so far and 90% of us are in Torquay :shock:

This thread could go over 500 once MMF has his say :lol:

Don't they always? :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:18 pm

Top set of results. Well done Walsall - and the manager must be given credit (Phil?) once again. We needed these results today - Monday will be difficult for us - and the other teams around us dont have particularly troubling games IMHO. I suspect we wont get any closer to H'pool on Monday as they have a hiome game against Accy Stan. Plus swindon have Torquay at home. Come on the Saddlers.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:21 pm

ALMOST THERE COME ON

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:22 pm

great result , other results going our way . performance don't know , don't care .

Since you went away I've been losing my sleep at night
Never thought there 'd come a day
when you'd be back to make everything right,
but how wrong could I be
'Cos now you're here with me
Bringing on back the good times,
taking away the pain.
You're bringing on back the good times
and I'm living on air,
So glad that you're there,
sweeping away the sad times,
making me laugh again

I've never been loved by anybody
that's quite like you,
So when you're telling me
of all the things you want me to do,
now you've made me see
what you mean to me
You're bringing on back ....

UP THE SADDLERS

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Table Tonight

1st Hartlepool Played: 41 Points: 81 GD+ 26
2nd Walsall Played: 41 Points: 79 GD: +30
3rd Swindon Played: 41 Points: 75 GD: +17
4th Milton Keynes Played: 41 Points: 72 GD: +13
5th Lincoln Played: 41 Points: 68 GD: +12
6th Stockport Played: 41 Points: 64 GD: +7
7th Wycombe Played: 41 Points: 61 GD: +10

That 7 point gap over MK Dons almost garuntees us automatic promotion, unless we see a catastrophic collapse.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:28 pm

aldridge steve wrote:Top set of results. Well done Walsall - and the manager must be given credit (Phil?) once again. We needed these results today - Monday will be difficult for us - and the other teams around us dont have particularly troubling games IMHO. I suspect we wont get any closer to H'pool on Monday as they have a hiome game against Accy Stan. Plus swindon have Torquay at home. Come on the Saddlers.

MK Dons are away at Shewsbury on Monday who, despite not having great results in the last 2 or 3 matches, are fighting for a play off place, so that could be another great chance to get further ahead of the main team we really have to worry about first and foremost. First ask though is three more points for us at Bescot, COME ON!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:31 pm

What todays results means is that if we win against Hereford, we go to Notts County with a minimum of a 7 point lead - meaning a win for us next saturday coupled with a defeat or draw for MK Dons next saturday, we will be promoted

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:35 pm

I think we can just about afford ourselves a smidge of interest in the title race given that Pools must travel to both Wycombe and Rochdale. Also be interesting how they react to defeat, something that apart from February we have managed to do positively.

Reminds me very much of what happened in 79-90 when we went 20odd games unbeaten then lost 2 and finished second to a Huddersfield team that we couldn't ever shake off completely.

Win our next two games and surely we will be promoted, and have a fair chance of going top.

Huge credit to all concerned for what's happened post February, absolutely brilliant. Good signings, good use of the squad, and a superb 7 game unbeaten run when the pressure was really on.

Still a long way to go though, this is Walsall we're talking about. :wink:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:37 pm

I don't care how we did it, we got the points today and nobody else in this nail-biting promotion race did. I've been on tenterhooks all afternoon, but agree with Neil that this will prove to be the pivotal day in the season.

And just to put another spin on that maths Phil, if we win on Monday and Salop beat MK Dons - then we go into next week's game knowing a win will definitely take us up. It's so close, I can almost smell it.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:I think we can just about afford ourselves a smidge of interest in the title race given that Pools must travel to both Wycombe and Rochdale. Also be interesting how they react to defeat, something that apart from February we have managed to do positively.

Reminds me very much of what happened in 79-90 when we went 20odd games unbeaten then lost 2 and finished second to a Huddersfield team that we couldn't ever shake off completely.

Win our next two games and surely we will be promoted, and have a fair chance of going top.

Huge credit to all concerned for what's happened post February, absolutely brilliant. Good signings, good use of the squad, and a superb 7 game unbeaten run when the pressure was really on.

Thats one hell of a long season :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:39 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:I don't care how we did it, we got the points today and nobody else in this nail-biting promotion race did. I've been on tenterhooks all afternoon, but agree with Neil that this will prove to be the pivotal day in the season.

And just to put another spin on that maths Phil, if we win on Monday and Salop beat MK Dons - then we go into next week's game knowing a win will definitely take us up. It's so close, I can almost smell it.

Yes, thats the other spin. Either way, providing we win, regardless of what MK do, we head to Notts County with a minimum 7 point lead, which means promotion is possible at County.

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:40 pm

aldridge steve wrote:Top set of results. Well done Walsall - and the manager must be given credit (Phil?) once again. We needed these results today - Monday will be difficult for us - and the other teams around us dont have particularly troubling games IMHO. I suspect we wont get any closer to H'pool on Monday as they have a hiome game against Accy Stan. Plus swindon have Torquay at home. Come on the Saddlers.

Well if Accy play like they did against us then Pools arent guaranteed the points. Not an easy game at all (cue 10-0 to Pools :roll: )

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:42 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:I think we can just about afford ourselves a smidge of interest in the title race given that Pools must travel to both Wycombe and Rochdale. Also be interesting how they react to defeat, something that apart from February we have managed to do positively.

Yeah he's got ya there Geordie.

(First point he has scored off you though :wink: )

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:43 pm

Fat Controller's Match Report:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... full-time/

Says we were better than the Torquay commentary suggests and, despite the pressure, didn't look in too much trouble.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:50 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I hate to say it, but this is probably going to be the pivotal afternoon of the season. It's not just the win, but virtually every result went as well as it could have. Thanks to that, Hartlepool are even catchable now.

You could almost say it's a "Lincoln" moment.
:)

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:39 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:I don't care how we did it, we got the points today and nobody else in this nail-biting promotion race did. I've been on tenterhooks all afternoon, but agree with Neil that this will prove to be the pivotal day in the season.

Yes, thats the other spin. Either way, providing we win, regardless of what MK do, we head to Notts County with a minimum 7 point lead, which means promotion is possible at County.

I think this sums up my mood for our Trip to County

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-DcNPFWhbk

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:39 pm

dornansog wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

Yeah he's got ya there Geordie.

(First point he has scored off you though :wink: )

I know, too gung ho for my own good, although on reflection there were a few seasons in that period that seemed to last that long. :oops:

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season