Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

M K Dons (A) League Sunday 25/3/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Duke
Site Addict

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:08 pm

What is it with match officials :twisted: don't they like Walsall .
How any ref could miss than penalty on Butler is beyond me.
Great performance , dispite everything going against we . we came back from going a goal down playing some good football showed teriffic spirit .
with a bit of luck we could have taken 3 points.
MOTM for me Dobson great performance

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:09 pm

The best thing about that (apart from the equaliser of course) was the way that we kept going & dominated most of the play after they scored. Thought after the 'penalty' & Benjamin 'goal' & Butler hitting the bar that when they scored that we were heading for a 1-0 defeat, but all credit to the players & well done Darren Wrack. Think Benjamin looks like he will be a very useful signing. Hope Dann's injury isnt as bad as commentators seemed to be suggesting.
Pity about the other results but our fate is still in our own hands. I just hope that we make a better job of tackling our theoretically easy home games against lowly opposition than we did in the period after christmas.

concretehippo

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:28 pm

A draw will do nicely, it leaves McDons behind us and coming back from behind will give us some confidence going into the next few games. :)

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:30 pm

We actually won the game 3-1 + a peno which we'll say we missed for arguments sake. Bloody officials :x

Matt'sdad

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:33 pm

Now that was a good result considering the results earlier in the day. Get rid of the negatives first, sorry, I was not very impressed with our two wide players.... Cooper and Harper.
I thought Harper was caught in possession and gave the ball awAy too much in mid-field , however great cross for Butler's header on to the bar.
As for Cooper, he should have been charged admission for being a spectator... not enough heart for me.

It looked like the first substitute was going to be Sam until Gerrard got injured, unfortunate for Gerrard but I think it influenced his later subs. Bringing Wrack on for Cooper was inspired, just what was needed, someone to scrap for the cause and a well taken goal.

Very impressed with their attitude, especially going a goal down, and then drawing level, they could have sat back and held on for the draw, but no, they went for the win.

Didn't like Benjamin, I'm 30 years older and I can definitely run faster than him..... perfectly good goal though and why Butler didn't get a penalty :evil:

The game would have been won at half-time. Still a great performance and with that attitude for the remaining matches............. PROMOTION :D :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:37 pm

Tremendous battling performance, encapsulated for me by the display of our central two - Dobbo and Deano - who carried out a great double act shielding our defence. One or two hairy moments caused by McLeod and Platt, but otherwise I thought we had a decent amount of control for an away game. Harper caused them loads of problems and Benjamin did the job he was brought in for. Pity about the mix-up between Westy and Gerrard for their goal and Cooper's anonymous performance was a let-down. But I'm very happy with the point, hopefully we can push on with this unbeaten run and seal promotion as soon as mathematically possible.

I won't even bother discussing the officials now, I've come to accept the fact the certain refs don't have a clue what they are doing so as long as they don't actually kick the ball into our net it's a relief.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:51 pm

Very happy with the point and also happy with the performance, 7 points needed from next 3 then we're almost there.

farncombesaddler

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:03 pm

Considering the performance against Wycombe, a team lower in the league, we played with confidence and in the 2nd half in particular, with the conviction that we could win. Despite a couple of disappointing (and away from home possibly unsurprising) refereeing decisions, we coped admirably, never letting our heads drop when things didn't go our way. OK, so Hartlepool won...we have no control over their results. With the next few fixtures this is a WFC side that could take us to the next league.

I have to say, not really that impressed with Benjamin...felt that his pace was a little short and he looked tired; so wasn't surprised that DD took him off Thought the changes were inspired, not just because of the goal but Sam was very influential. Ince looked immense in front of goal, very confident and as usual, our defence was (again, despite the goal) more than effective.

Next season? If Neil R is correct, we have some young talent coming through the ranks and can continue our rise up the ranks...

I'm more than grateful for the point.

UTS.

Rhino Saddler

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:04 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:We actually won the game 3-1 + a peno which we'll say we missed for arguments sake. Bloody officials :x

Damn right.

That said, I would have settled for a draw before the game, so the glass is definitely half-full.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Good spirit from the lads to come from behind today and another decent point gained at one of our promotion rivals.

However, the officials were a joke today. Butler should have had a penalty, two goals were 'offside' when they clearly weren't, and at least two of their players should have been booked for poor challenges. As well as this, their keeper made a great save and Butler hit the bar.

As for the goals, I thought that both defences didn't pick up their man for each goal. McLeod was left in acres of space for their goal and Wrack was unmarked at the back post for ours.

On the whole, it's another useful point in the bag (bit disappointed that we didn't get all three), but we need to follow it up with a win against Accy next week.

Up The Saddlers!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:08 pm

Just got back in and very very pleased with that performance. Players showed some balls and some courage, gave their all and competed, and also put on a decent performance for the cameras.

First half was a bit bland to be honest, we didn't really create much out of open play where as MK had 2/3 good chances. However I've never seen such a stone wall penalty in my life as the foul on Butler (which I was since told was as stone wall on tv as it looked to me in the ground) and then there was the 'offside' goal, now I must admit, he looked yards off to me but yet again I'm told he wasn't.

So whilst we didn't really get going, we could and should have scored twice. Although if you think of sliding doors, then if we'd scored the 1st, the 2nd would never have happened as everything after would have been different.

2nd half was a different story mind you, instead of sitting back, we opened up, kept the ball on the floor instead of aiming it long and used some width. Somebody suddenly realised that if we got it wide, we could create chances. When Butler's header crashed against the bar, I was convinced it wasn't our day. However we kept going and thoroughly deserved our point.

Glad to report that Benjamin worked hard, put himself about and won a number of balls in the air. However after seeing him, I stick to my original point, I still don't think that type was needed. He won numerous balls and flicks on, yet his partner was a 32 year old striker not capable of chasing them on. When Butler won those, Benjamin didn't have the pace either of chasing them down. Neither have the pace they used to, but they were a handful, no question, but again, I don't really see goals in either of them.

Overall though, very pleased to have got a point and keep the gap there.

Ince - Safe hands, some great on the spot saves.
Westwood - MOTM for me, won a lot in the air, won a lot on the floor, superb performance, immaculate.
Dann - Very good as usual until his injury
Gerrard - Possibly caught out on the goal, but I don't think he was given a shout, but a good performance. Won a lot in the air and made some very timely tackles.
Fox - Solid and reliable, still questions over his distribution I thought.
Harper - Awful in the first half, not much better in the 2nd I thought, but stuck over a gem of a cross for Butler's header that hit the bar.
Dobson - Immense, matched Andrews step for step, broke up play, put himself about, very good.
Keates - Usual Keates, worked hard, very hard, chased the odds and ends, and put over a superb free kick for the goal.
Cooper - Very disappointing for me, just didn't really offer anything.
Butler - Decent work-rate, put himself about, great header that hit the bar.
Benjamin - Worked hard, won a lot in the air but they were wasted as he didn't have a partner to capitalise. Pleasing performance, not sure if there are goals in him.

Pead - Did a job, looked fairly sound.
Wrack - Hands up, really effective when he came on. Constantly came looking for the ball, give and go and move and a typical Wrack run around the back for his goal.
Sam - Never really got into the match, one blatant dive.

Finally, hate their fans, hate them hate them hate them. Arrogant and annoying and they should be shot for singing "Are you watching AFC?" Plastic franchise scum.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:21 pm

I could also hear them on the TV chanting, ''Are you watching AFC''. We already knew that their fans were some of the worst in the football league, but after that they really are THE worst.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:22 pm

Superb performance, great disciplin in the face of unbelieveable provocation, The correct balance of events in terms of decision making, should have been 2 additional goals for us and a penalty, they should have had one if not 2 players sent off. It was the most disgraceful exhibition of one-sided officialdom I've seen in years. I was just waiting for Probert to award then their obligatory last minute penalty for ball to hand.

As for Benjamin, thought that was a superb debut. He certainly didn't perpetrate a "hoof it forward" scenario. Fox would hoof it forward if we had Zidanne and Henry up top.

We looked for all the world like promotion winners today, now lets just go and finish the job.

Swindon were very good also today, Lincoln are out of it now - just glad Swindon's game in hand is Rochdale away!!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:55 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:As for Benjamin, thought that was a superb debut. He certainly didn't perpetrate a "hoof it forward" scenario. Fox would hoof it forward if we had Zidanne and Henry up top.

Agreed with everything bar that... In all fairness Geordie, all we did in the first half was punt it forward to him and/or Butler, whether it be up to them or into a channel to chase, for the 1st half at least. Although being fair, thats all we've done for quite a while to be honest so isn't neccessarily the fault of Benjamin and I'm not saying that.

2nd half was a big improvement and just a more direct style that Graydon used to play, but it certainly wasn't on the deck football.. In all fairness, I think we only got 2 or 3 crosses in all afternoon, and ironically, on those occasions he'd been out in the channel holding it up, which meant he didn't stand a chance of getting on the end of it.

He was very much what I expected, awkward, a bit ponderous at times, but won his fair share of balls in the air and chased defenders. A good debut though.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Great result, and we just have to hope that Swindon get the third automatic place now, relegating the plastic franchise to ignominious defeat in the play off semis. Stay down, go out of business, do us all a favour.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Stu wrote:Just got back in and very very pleased with that performance. Players showed some balls and some courage, gave their all and competed, and also put on a decent performance for the cameras.

First half was a bit bland to be honest, we didn't really create much out of open play where as MK had 2/3 good chances. However I've never seen such a stone wall penalty in my life as the foul on Butler (which I was since told was as stone wall on tv as it looked to me in the ground) and then there was the 'offside' goal, now I must admit, he looked yards off to me but yet again I'm told he wasn't.

So whilst we didn't really get going, we could and should have scored twice. Although if you think of sliding doors, then if we'd scored the 1st, the 2nd would never have happened as everything after would have been different.

2nd half was a different story mind you, instead of sitting back, we opened up, kept the ball on the floor instead of aiming it long and used some width. Somebody suddenly realised that if we got it wide, we could create chances. When Butler's header crashed against the bar, I was convinced it wasn't our day. However we kept going and thoroughly deserved our point.

Glad to report that Benjamin worked hard, put himself about and won a number of balls in the air. However after seeing him, I stick to my original point, I still don't think that type was needed. He won numerous balls and flicks on, yet his partner was a 32 year old striker not capable of chasing them on. When Butler won those, Benjamin didn't have the pace either of chasing them down. Neither have the pace they used to, but they were a handful, no question, but again, I don't really see goals in either of them.

Westwood - MOTM for me, won a lot in the air, won a lot on the floor, superb performance, immaculate.
Gerrard - Possibly caught out on the goal, but I don't think he was given a shout, but a good performance. Won a lot in the air and made some very timely tackles.
Harper - Awful in the first half, not much better in the 2nd I thought, but stuck over a gem of a cross for Butler's header that hit the bar.
Dobson - Immense, matched Andrews step for step, broke up play, put himself about, very good.
Keates - Usual Keates, worked hard, very hard, chased the odds and ends, and put over a superb free kick for the goal.
Benjamin - Worked hard, won a lot in the air but they were wasted as he didn't have a partner to capitalise. Pleasing performance, not sure if there are goals in him.

Wrack - Hands up, really effective when he came on. Constantly came looking for the ball, give and go and move and a typical Wrack run around the back for his goal.

Finally, hate their fans, hate them hate them hate them. Arrogant and annoying and they should be shot for singing "Are you watching AFC?" Plastic franchise scum.

Just to show how wrong Mr Probert got things Stu, the tv replay even showed that wasn't a dive by Sam - he got kicked on the left shin

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:39 pm

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:49 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Just to show how wrong Mr Probert got things Stu, the tv replay even showed that wasn't a dive by Sam - he got kicked on the left shin

I should have re-phrased that actually, we did think he had been caught, but he went down very theatrically from where we were sitting, to the point I wouldn't have given it because of the theatrics. So I could forgive the moron for not giving that.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:03 pm

Dear me...what an absolute hole of a place.

Arrogance is the only word which sums it up.

The fans are cocks. The stewards knobs. The players dirty and over-rated. The future...not as bright as they think it will be.

Impressive debut from Benjamin. Good performances from Dobson and Keates. Defence looked solid. Should have won. All in all, a positive day.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:34 am

A rare away match for Denmark Hill Saddler and me and what a treat as we racked up a deserved 4-1 win against the Dongles, despite having to play 14 men and them being awarded 18 points according to chaos theory for not fielding Jermaine Darlington.

Right, believe me when I tell you that this performance was heroic and will go down in legend (like the 0-0 at Bury in 1995) as one of those that got us promoted.

As a team every man played their part and that includes all the back up staff. The discipline, demeanour and ability of the team was superb against tricky opponents and even trickier officials. The defence made so many vital tackles and interceptions it was impossible to count.

Man by man:

INCE - Oustanding double save in the first half, set us up for the win. Excellent, solid performance.

WESTWOOD - Faultless defending, came forward and linked play well as required. Absolutely outstanding.
GERRARD - Slight error for goal, otherwise excellent.
DANN - Excellent. We hope his injury is slight.
FOX - Effective, but some wayward passing at times.

HARPER - Some excellent play at times, linking effectively on the right and provided some vital crosses. However, he had a tendency to over-elaborate in the wrong areas and give the ball away stupidly. MK played him very well, trying to keep him static as often as possible and dispossessing him frequently.
COOPER - Again played well and linked play effectively in spells, but he's about as fit as me and was often left wanting.
DOBSON - Made Andrews look a fool. Did simple things well.
KEATES - Industrious display and provided some vital passes in the final third. One assist.

BUTLER - Look jaded at times and could probably do with a rest, but won a penalty and had brilliant header hit the bar. Played well.
BENJAMIN - Can't run, can barely walk but who cares? As a debut, this was outstanding. He won so much in the air and gave MK so many problems it was untrue. As telling as his physical presence, was his intelligence. He knew exactly when NOT to go in. If Cederqvist has any chance here, the best thing he can do is keep his gob shut and watch and learn from this man. His lobbed finish was exemplary. He could be the missing piece in the jigsaw to get us out of this awful division.

SAM - Pace used at right times, showed some neat touches and played well.
PEAD - Effective.
WRACK - Provided intelligent support at times and showed some neat touches again. A deserved goal.
BOSSU - Not used
CEDERQVIST - Correctly, not used. The best thing he could have done was be made to watch this game the whole way through.

MONEY - Made the correct substitutions and gave the correct instructions to everyone to enable their discipline throughout. Came and clapped us all at the end. A job well done, sir.

REFEREE - L NOBROT - Disgraceful.

As for the other matters, our fans were largely outstanding, keeping with the team and riling the astrofans enough throughout. There was some expert barracking of Mr Nobrot. Richard Money made clear his appreciation of the fans at the end.

By contrast the astrofans are utterly contemptible. They regard AFC Wimbledon as their natural rivals, which must the biggest complement they can have. They are only whipped up in a an astrofrenzy by an announcer on double time. They got exactly what they deserved from the game - long faces. Managed to generate a crowd of 8,000 for the TV by giving away a million school tickets, which must have provided great amusement for Clayton Ince. I bet they're looking forward to filling their new 30,000 seat stadium with all the fans who followed their 1988 FA Cup w.... - oh!

Some credit must go to Martin Allen for again organising an average-good side very well and making them look a competent unit against us. He'd certainly done his homework. However, everything that comes out of his mouth is word of nob and therefore must be regarded as Neil Warnock's natural successor. Bad luck him, I say.

A thoroughly spiffing day out and I have the utmost repsect to the fans who give their time and money to follow the team away every week. We wish we could do it more often.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:51 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Stu wrote:Just got back in and very very pleased with that performance. Players showed some balls and some courage, gave their all and competed, and also put on a decent performance for the cameras.

Just to show how wrong Mr Probert got things Stu, the tv replay even showed that wasn't a dive by Sam - he got kicked on the left shin

Sam was fouled no doubt , although he often tends to look for it , and he made a meal of it there's was contact.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:18 am

Better performance than I expected, MK Dons weren't as strong as I thought they'd be, they're good going forward, but who wouldn't be with the like of Mcleod, Mcgovern and Lloyd Dyer... But they're crap at the back.

Real shame we didn't win as that would have 99% sealed promotion, and it's even more a shame that the reasons we didn't win were through one slip during the entire game from Antony G, and 3 awful refereeing decisions, which on another day would have robbed us clean of any points. But, great resilience to come back and get the deserved goal.

To be a little contrary, I can actually see why Probert didn't give the peno. If you watch it again, Butlers control is brilliant, and he only needs to move on to it and score, so surely that is where his momentum was going, now if he was held back [which I still think he was, and thus was a peno], but if he was being held back, the norm in those circumstances if for the player to stumble forward, whereas MB kind of fell backwards, meaning he was properly tugged back, which if you look at the amount of grip O'Hanlon had on his shirt, isn't likely. Dare I say it, Butler might have been looking for the penalty a little too much. Having said that, I'm still 1100% sure it was a penalty.

Probert, I felt, was also very very lenient on Andrews and O'Hanlon, who between them committed around a dozen fouls, most synical, and only contrived to pick up a yellow card each. On another day, they'd have been sent off.

I'm please because we went there and we showed to the whole world why we're ahead of Mk and why we're at the top end of this league. We went there with a defence including two 21 year olds and a 19 year old, and defended superbly against a strong attack.

I'm a little pissed off that one mistake and poor referee meant we only drew a game we should have won, and the extra pressure that now puts on our home games.

Was a little surprised to see Sam dropped, ive become quite a fan of him lately, but TB brought something very different to the team, which is what the sensible ones among us said on Thursday when he signed. What surprised me even more was to see Cederqvist on the bench as well as Sam.

VanZant

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:27 am

A little too much blame attached to Anthony G for the goal.
1. Did he mis-judge the flight of the ball or was it just a good ball? When Butler was brought down, no one criticised the defender for letting the ball go over his head, just what a great cross it was from Keates.
2. Westwood was behind him and had a far better view of where the attacker was. If anything, Westwood should have been a lot closer and able to get in a challenge or a least hold him back!

Overall - good performance, crap officials.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:33 am

Stu wrote:Ince - Safe hands, some great on the spot saves.

I'd agree with all that Stu. If we can rate players with similar performances in our home games, we'll go up.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:35 am

VanZant wrote:A little too much blame attached to Anthony G for the goal.
1. Did he mis-judge the flight of the ball or was it just a good ball? When Butler was brought down, no one criticised the defender for letting the ball go over his head, just what a great cross it was from Keates.
2. Westwood was behind him and had a far better view of where the attacker was. If anything, Westwood should have been a lot closer and able to get in a challenge or a least hold him back!

My tendancy was to blame Westwood for the goal. He'd not got back and tucked in, which allowed Izale M the space to bring it down. AG was stuck in no mans land really, the only reasoning I can give for that would be that he expected Westwood to be behind him, but wasn't

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:27 am

Phil and VanZant... I'd agree, the goal was a double team effort from Westy and Ant. Gerrard mis-read the ball but McCheat had pulled away to the left flank. Every time he'd done that in the first half, Westy had picked him up. They both lost concentration for a split second and we were punished.

leics...congrats on the most amusing match report I've read on here in some time. I agree wholeheartedly, sire.

As most people seem to be praising the battling qualities of - particularly Dobson - in the middle, here's a little something to bring a smile to your face from the match report on the MK Dons official site:
"Walsall were doing their best to settle but their main obstacle was Andrews, bossing the midfield like the biggest kid in the playground, available for every pass and winning every tackle."
Now - what do I have to do to ritually cleanse myself after having visited that website?

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:45 am

VanZant wrote:A little too much blame attached to Anthony G for the goal.

Totally agree, was a good ball and Westy should have picked him up was in a far better postiton to do it than Ant

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:51 am

Whether it was Gerrard's fault for the goal or not, and i think he has to take some of the blame for it, was an excellent cross though

Don't think anyone can say Gerrard hasn't played well since Roper got injured

When you think of the age of our two center backs, Mistakes are going to happen now and again.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:57 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Whether it was Gerrard's fault for the goal or not, and i think he has to take some of the blame for it, was an excellent cross though

Don't think anyone can say Gerrard hasn't played well since Roper got injured

When you think of the age of our two center backs, Mistakes are going to happen now and again.

Exactly BS , You could also blame Roper for Lincoln's second goal at Bescot, like Gerard he was caught out by a superb cross.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:02 pm

Had this email from a friend of mine who also happens to be a Stafford fan

Watch Sky yesterday and I have two questions.

When is a goal not a goal ?
Answer, when a blind linesman flags the Walsall player when clearly on side.

When is a penalty not a penalty ?
Answer when the ref with a clear view does not see two (not one but two) players foul a Walsall player in the box.

If I were a Walsall fan I would say we wuz robbed.

We weren't the only ones with refereeing problems though, he went on to say:

You should have had our ref from Saturday who gave Grays a penalty when one of their players was cynically brought down by a rampant blade of grass with no Stafford player near him. Still when he scored it only narrowed the gap from 3-0 to 3-1 and had no bearing on our fantastic 4-2 win.
Last edited by Dave Gittins on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season