Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

M K Dons (A) League Sunday 25/3/07.

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:25 pm

Agree with most of what Stu says, especially about Benjamin. His debut was good, involved throughout and held the ball up well but as I've said for a month Butler is knackered and we need someone with pace to offer us something different. If Benjamin scores one goals which get us a win or even a draw to see us promoted then he'll do for me but we now have three players who will score about once every four games. I hope it's enough.

It should be for our home games which we have left, if we perform like we did yesterday. Don't underestimate what a tough game that was in tough windy conditions. Despite the knock backs through the game...the penalty decision, the disallowed goal, the header against the bar, the disallowed goal, their goal...we still fought back and got what we deserved. We were robbed of a win by the dreadful officials but a draw was probably the right result as they had chances too.

Clayton made some good saves, if routine, we once again defended well which, if continues will see us up as we can scrape the odd goal, midfield was busy, and Benjamin worked hard. Butler's header was good and looked better with Benjamin but he still remains on the pitch for 90 mins when he clearly needs resting.

Harper at times offered real quality but I'm sorry, and this isn't a wind up, Cooper was awful. I don't care if he has quality on the ball (which I haven't seen apart from his first 30-45 mins for us against Barnet). He wimped out of challenges a few times yesterday, gave away possession and doesn't even attempt to put in crosses. It this was Mark Wright he'd be crucified. I've said it before and I'll say it again at least Wright has pace and ATTEMPTS to cross, of which a few will make their way across the box during the game. Cooper hasn't put that many crosses over in his last FOUR games. He was bought here to create chances and he's not doing it. It's not good enough. If he persists like this I really would prefer to keep Wright than sign him next season because at least Wright is cheaper. Let's hope Cooper saves his performances for the important home games.

Can I also point out how good Wrack was when he came on. Repeatedly making himself available then asking for the ball in midfield, keep possession well and his touch was excellent. The very things everyone was raving about when we signed Harper and Cooper. Scored a deserved goal and to cap it off even took a full back on for the first time in 7 years and would have beaten him if not fouled. Not bad for a player who most Walsall fans have been writing off since he returned. :roll:

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:34 pm

Has anyone seen The Times coverage today?? Apparently we would be the club happy with the point as we were outplayed-what a load of tripe that is!!!

My opinion of the game-excellent performance and a point i would have taken before the start of the days games, but with other results the way they were, perhaps not enough if i'm being picky!

But like i heard on Radio 5 a couple of weeks ago-who remembers who finished top of the league come start of the new season in August-lets get up and go from there.

Oh-and well done those saddlers who were at the back by me yesterday-thought we made good noise

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:36 pm

deanonev69 wrote:Has anyone seen The Times coverage today?? Apparently we would be the club happy with the point as we were outplayed-what a load of tripe that is!!!

My opinion of the game-excellent performance and a point i would have taken before the start of the days games, but with other results the way they were, perhaps not enough if i'm being picky!

But like i heard on Radio 5 a couple of weeks ago-who remembers who finished top of the league come start of the new season in August-lets get up and go from there.

Oh-and well done those saddlers who were at the back by me yesterday-thought we made good noise

sounded good, when I watched the game last night :D

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:40 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
deanonev69 wrote:Has anyone seen The Times coverage today?? Apparently we would be the club happy with the point as we were outplayed-what a load of tripe that is!!!

Could have made more if someone didn't keep interrupting us going for a pee :wink:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:43 pm

deanonev69 wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Could have made more if someone didn't keep interrupting us going for a pee :wink:

Who was that then? should have made them stay in their seat and pee themselves :twisted:

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
deanonev69 wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

Who was that then? should have made them stay in their seat and pee themselves :twisted:

Normally have to pay to see that sort of thing!!!! :shock:

Grand Master J

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:22 pm

I would have taken a point before the match, should have had all three.

I was looking for a place to leave mr.Probert a peice of my mind and found this

http://www.ratetheref.co.uk/league.aspx?LeagueID=14

There doesnt appear to be a Waslall members, i thought there may have been a few thousand fans joining after yesterdays debacle.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:42 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Whether it was Gerrard's fault for the goal or not, and i think he has to take some of the blame for it, was an excellent cross though

Don't think anyone can say Gerrard hasn't played well since Roper got injured

When you think of the age of our two center backs, Mistakes are going to happen now and again.

What Gerrard should have done was grab Mcleod by the arm, then assuming Westwood was suitably attached to the opposite limb - between the two of them they could have wrestled him to the ground and the goal would have been prevented, well according to the Proberk rules anyway.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:25 pm

Just to ease Grandmaster J's mind about "rate the ref"....... there is a website with that title, but they're a bit out of date. The Walsall page contains 120 members but we're apparently still in Division 1, and the last report was from our match in February 2006 !!! :shock:

Perhaps their projected advertising revenue didn't quite keep pace with their expenses. A shame really, as I was looking forward to placing my precise thoughts on Mr. Probert on the record :evil:

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:05 pm

REF - Awful

Performance..Very good 2nd half we pressured them, Should of won the game with benjamins goal offside which it clearly wasn't..A point will do.

Ground - Sh!t

Stewards - Jobsworth B@stards!

Our support - Superb turnout once again this season..

Roll on torquay..Notts County & Swindon :D

Previous
Return to 2006-07 Season