Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wycombe (A) League - Saturday 17/3/07

Reports and reaction from the 2006-07 season as Walsall finished 1st (C) in League 2
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:36 pm

cyclothymic wrote:
Rushall Saddler wrote:Constable for Kiddy. Sorry, couldn't resist! :o

mmmmm - something I am sure MMF will point out over and again :)

Especially as Butler has missed two very good chances today according to WM

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:40 pm

Stockport penalty saved

then Swimdon down to 10 men

hhahaho
Last edited by cyclothymic on Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:41 pm

Stockport just missed a penalty.

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:41 pm

it gets better swindon down to ten men

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:45 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
cyclothymic wrote:
Rushall Saddler wrote:Constable for Kiddy. Sorry, couldn't resist! :o

mmmmm - something I am sure MMF will point out over and again :)

Especially as Butler has missed two very good chances today according to WM

And especially as Sam has been subbed, again! :wink:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Barrowman has SCORED :shock: :shock: :shock:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Dons 2 -1 up (Platt :? )

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:49 pm

McDongs winning... C. Platt :cry:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:55 pm

Not winning today goes down as a missed chance to catch Hartlepool up. In my opinion anyway. On top of that, all we've done today is serve to allow MK Don's to catch up with us.

Not very happy tonight.

Very Very nervous about next Sunday.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PS: A note to WM, Walsall do exist... 1 update in the whole second half :roll:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:56 pm

All over!

Well - draw away and win at home will see us go up :P
Last edited by cyclothymic on Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WFCNIL

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:56 pm

What a great point and a bonus at this stage of the season.

UTS

KJC
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:57 pm

A good away point, in my opinion, against very good opponants.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:57 pm

Have to be satisfied with an away point, especially as the 2nd half was a backs to the wall job. Pity we couldn't have got a goal in the first. MK now 2 points away.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:58 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:God I love people who are optomistic and always look on the bright side :lol: :lol:

I take it that was aimed at me.

If both us and Hartlepool draw, then nothing chanes, only we have less games to catch them.

It's not rocket science.

No but I suspect most of us would have settle for a draw against a team who are in the play-off places and away from home - I know I'm happy with it!

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Good point today, but the Dons match next Sunday is now massive.

Stick

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:01 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:God I love people who are optomistic and always look on the bright side :lol: :lol:

If both us and Hartlepool draw, then nothing chanes, only we have less games to catch them.

It's not rocket science.

No but I suspect most of us would have settle for a draw against a team who are in the play-off places and away from home - I know I'm happy with it!

And have only lost 1 game at home all season.

A bit negative from Phil if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned lets get automatic promotion first then worry about winning the league!

Perko Snr

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:01 pm

Happy with that today..

As good a defence at home, as ourselves.. We are creating chances again and well done our young defence. If we keep defending like that we should be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Not bad in the context of the other results, don't forget that Swindon visit Lincoln next week and Hartlepool visit Darlo. I think we can discount Stockport as conteders for automatic promotion now, so back to 3 from 5.

Win 3 of our 4 home games and what should be a nothing fixture for Notts Co and we should go up IMO, if we win 4 Swindon and Lincoln have got to win 6 from 8.

WFCNIL

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:12 pm

redsaddler wrote:Good point today, but the Dons match next Sunday is now massive.

Dont expext to get anything from Mk Dongs but then the rest of our games up to Swindon very winnable. Still think we are very much on for auto promotion.

If Dicky could find another striker out there might be a little more confident

UTS

kevwill

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:13 pm

Happy with a draw - be even happier with a draw next week. A win would probably send me into orbit.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Stick wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

It's not rocket science.

And have only lost 1 game at home all season.

A bit negative from Phil if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned lets get automatic promotion first then worry about winning the league!

Not really.

I said before these two games we needed to pick up 4 points from this and the MK Dons game. I don't think we stand a chance against MK Dons next week, I don't believe we'll keep a clean sheet, and I don't believe we'll score. If that happens - which in fairness, I think is quite likely, MK will over take us next week. Then we're down to 3rd and with Lincoln city knocking on the door and playing well, and us still having to go away to Swindon, I fear for our automatic promotion spot. Honestly I do, and we needed to beat these boys today, and since we had so many good chances, it's very poor.

Fair enough if you guys are happy with the point, but looking ahead, a win would have meant one hell of a lot more than a draw. A draw only maintains our precarious position, doesn't strengthen it.

coxy_saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:25 pm

I would of took the point before the game to be honest..Hartlepool slipping up and swindon..Not a bad result at all.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:27 pm

Our recent away form:

Stockport: 0-2
Darlington: 0-0
Wycombe: 0-0

Worrying lack of goals.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:29 pm

An excellent point today, especially when you consider that we were up against an attacking Wycombe frontline of Easter, McGleish and Mooney.

Next week at MK Dongas will be tough. Very tough. A defeat there and we will be back 'in the mix' again. However, let's be optimistic :wink:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:43 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Our recent away form:

Stockport: 0-2
Darlington: 0-0
Wycombe: 0-0

Worrying lack of goals.

I'd actually agree with you, but having seen DD's comments this week about how important it is to keep clean sheets away from home this season, its no surprise. We'll go to most away matches now looking for a 0-0 draw with the hope of sneaking something on the break, like we should have today.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:49 pm

We're far too cautious. Look at hartlepool, they went to one of the form sides in the league and scored 3.

The problem with being cautious is that when the pressure to score is on, you're lost.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:07 pm

philthesaddler wrote:We're far too cautious. Look at hartlepool, they went to one of the form sides in the league and scored 3.

They scored 3 and got a point - we scored none but we still got a point. That's the point.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:09 pm

philthesaddler wrote:We're far too cautious. Look at hartlepool, they went to one of the form sides in the league and scored 3.

Whether I agree with you or not Phil, you can't use that as an example for your argument.

How many points did Hartlepool gain today?

How many did we get?

Which is better....0-0 or 3-3? Neither, they both gain 1 point.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:

They scored 3 and got a point - we scored none but we still got a point. That's the point.

I think the point being made is more than if you don't score, you've got zero chance of winning... At least if you score goals, you've got a chance of scoring goals.

In the last 18 matches, we've scored 21 and conceded 17. 4 of our goals came in 1 match against Barnet, so that aside, we've got a record of F17 A 16 in the other 17 matches. We've failed to score in 3 of the last 5 matches in total.

If you can guarantee that home win and scoreless away draw its fine, but playing for 0-0 is one massive risk, one mistake and you've got to change your entire plan and mentality.
Last edited by Stu on Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:12 pm

I suppose we should be reasonably satisfied with a point, and Mick Kearns gave our performance eight out of ten.

I would be interested to hear from those who went to match whether they agree with that.

According to the match statistics on Saddlers World (I know that they do not always get these things right) we had just two corners and only managed one cross during the match. Considering we have two good wingers that seems a pretty low number of crosses; can it really be correct? Were Harper and Cooper playing inside rather than on the wing?

PreviousNext
Return to 2006-07 Season